• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
An autistic man says his condition was the catalyst that caused him to repeatedly call police on several Black women relaxing at the pool of his apartment complex and because of it he insists that he's not a racist.

Nick Starr-Street took to social media to tell his side of the story after several videos of him went viral depicting him allegedly harassing two groups of Black women on separate occasions for breaking pool rules.

After widespread backlash, he maintains his actions were a symptom of his autism, Yahoo!reports.

"I'm autistic and lack a gauge that goes anywhere but 0 and 100," Starr-Street wrote on Facebook. "When I see a lease violation, I call it out and do everything in my power to make sure it is resolved, no matter who is the person violating."

In one situation, Starr-Street reportedly called police on Felecia Soso and her friends while they were at The Edition Apartments in Hyattsville, Md., because they had glassware near the pool. Starr-Street says residents are not allowed to bring glass to the pool so he decided to take up the issue himself with the alleged violators on June 22.

Soso said on social media that Starr-Street yelled at her and her friends as they chilled out and enjoyed music. He recorded her friend admitting to having the glassware and promising to get rid of it.

"What else do I need to do for you to be comfortable?" the woman said in the video.

Starr-Street showed the leasing office the video but when they reportedly failed to take action on the issue, he continued took the issue up with the Hyattsville Police Department.Two officers arrived on the scene soon after he made the call to them.

"I see this stuff online but having this happen in person like BLATANT racism for NO reason at ALLLLLLLLL," Soso wrote on Twitter. "I've honestly seen SO MANY TYPES of racism…but we weren't doing ANYTHING BUT EXISTING."

Another day, another white person using the cops as their own personal mercenary group.

Blame your mind if old.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This shameful on so many levels. And insulting.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw this I thought it was a repost of a story from last year. People call the cops so many times when they don't need to. Was just reading about this elsewhere and saw that apparently he is also very anti-LGBTQ as a gay man.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Would this be a similar case to Etika's outburst right (assuming the guy in the story is actually on the spectrum)? Asking before he's cyber harassed.

Oct 27, 2017
White people come up with the most creative explanations to be racist. If it weren't to justify terrible shit, I would be impressed

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
Autism Andy

Edit: I see I was "warned" for this. Are people not aware of previous incidents where people call the cops on black people for various excuses - all of which are done out of bad faith? This isn't making fun of autism, it's making fun of people that use excuses to justify their behavior-and it's sad that this has to be explained. BBQs, Lemonade Stands, you name it. sigh.

Last edited:

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Damn his account on twitter was suspended a while ago for being racist.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I have multiple family members of the spectrum, so maybe I am biased, but I kinda buy his explaination...
If some non-black people or the leasing office at his complex can provide evidence that he's done this before with various people, then sure, whatever. Until then, I don't believe it for one minute.

Also, this dude's verified? Is he a media figure?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
So in the first incident they agreed they were in the wrong, did what he asked, and he STILL called the cops on em?

Along with the fact his homophobia so great that twitter banned him, but he's gay.

Dude is unhinged, and honestly hopefully the public shaming nips this nips it in the bud cause his anger issues + bigotry looks like it was going to escalate to something violent. My fav is him alluding to 'race card', me thinks thats not the autism talking

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This guy has a profile of harassing people, He does it for clicks

He has a history of this behavior

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So in the first incident they agreed they were in the wrong, did what he asked, and he STILL called the cops on em?

Along with the fact his homophobia so great that twitter banned him, but he's gay.

Dude is unhinged, and honestly hopefully the public shaming nips this nips it in the bud cause his anger issues + bigotry looks like it was going to escalate to something violent
Yeah, I could see some people with more severe autism than myself being very anal about rules and confronting people over minor rules violations. But the calling the cops after they agreed they were in the wrong and did what he asked has nothing to do with autism

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the plan here? Throw all the autistic people under the bus so you can get away with your own shit behavior by pinning it on all of them as well?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Would this be a similar case to Etika's outburst right (assuming the guy in the story is actually on the spectrum)? Asking before he's cyber harassed.
No, because Etika's outbursts roughly coincided with his publically-observable decline in mental health, so it could be inferred for some people that they were manifestations of issues he was going through that would eventually take his life. This dude seems like a straight bigot who just wants to use his spectrum status as an excuse to be awful.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Racism and probable autistic behavior are mutually exclusive. I'm on the spectrum and I have enough empathy, morality, and shame to prevent myself from doing anything like this.

This guy's conveniently blaming us for his own damn problems and fuck-ups, making a convenient false-flag narrative for those already prejudiced against people on the spectrum (or about to turn that way). Fuck him.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Autism doesn't make you racist, you can be racist and have autism but it doesn't make you racist
Of course not, and I'm not trying to say that makes this behavior acceptable.

I'm actually not sure what I'm trying to say. I'm still trying to sort out what's an appropriate reaction to these things post-Etika, I guess.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
What's the plan here? Throw all the autistic people under the bus so you can get away with your own shit behavior by pinning it on all of them as well?
I imagine he is one of those inter users that think "Reeee" is amusing and now using Austim as a get out of jail free card and throw it under the bus

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Or, and follow me here, maybe your family members are also racist?
I feel it's more problematic that you needed to see that to now say it's wrong.
i saw the description of the video of him being overtly obsessive and rule obsessed and felt a twinge of worry about how someone I know would react in a situation like that. certainly didn't understand the full context of the video or the dudes history and truly regret jumping to post that.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Since when does Austism make you consider holding a glass bottle at a pool an "injustice" that MUST be rectified? An injustice for who, the wine?

Typical white law and order bullshit targeting black people. Big surprise.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
No, because Etika's outbursts roughly coincided with his publically-observable decline in mental health, so it could be inferred for some people that they were manifestations of issues he was going through that would eventually take his life. This dude seems like a straight bigot who just wants to use his spectrum status as an excuse to be awful.

This.

Etika's outbursts were related to his blatant mental health problems. This guy is literally just being racist and using autism as a shield (even if he is autistic, his explanations don't align with his racist tweets).

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering that myself. In the tweets it looks like he worked for some coffee company.
All it takes to get a checkmark is verifying your ID, I think it is a few forms and faxing twitter a copy of your diver's license. Honestly it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I think twitter doesn't talk about it much because if people knew it would lose it's mystique

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Since when does Austism make you consider holding a glass bottle at a pool an "injustice" that MUST be rectified? An injustice for who, the wine?
Autism can often manifest in being overly anal and falling into very strict and rote patterns for living life, so that part actually isn't that far-fetched. The reason it falls apart is because he has past behaviour showing this is probably more him being a bigot and using autism as an excuse.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
All it takes to get a checkmark is verifying your ID, I think it is a few forms and faxing twitter a copy of your diver's license. Honestly it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I think twitter doesn't talk about it much because if people knew it would lose it's mystique
Sending over your identity seems shady as hell, but people love those blue checkmarks.