• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Or potentially give people a false sense of security, which leads to irresponsible behaviour? Like being out and about, instead of locked down safely, and travelling only for essential needs/work.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there is plenty of concern. But you try calming those groups down. I wish the celebrations could happen with no dark clouds, but unless it's a legal matter it is what it is.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Most everyone was wearing masks. That's kind of been the cornerstone of this whole campaign.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
while i understand, the BLM protests didn't result in a significant increase in cases. everyone is using masks.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
But haven't people already been doing this on both sides now? When it comes to covid, we're just fucked till there's a vaccine.

Oct 29, 2017
That was what I thought of when I saw the crowds too. And cases are already through the roof as it is.

At the same time, though, I'm not surprised that it happened. Yesterday was like waking up from a long nightmare.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
People are wearing masks.

It's literally the thing we've been trying to explain to Republicans all along: life can go back to a more normal existence if they'll just wear one and sanitize.

There was no spike during the BLM protests because they wore masks and sanitized.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get the concern but the people celebrating are practicing safe distancing (mostly) and wearing masks. BLM protests didn't contribute to any major spike in cases as I doubt we'll see any spikes from the celebrations now.

Where I am sure we will see spikes are in rural counties where people were gathering to intimidate election officials.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully if there is a spike that it's not too bad. Most of the people I've seen clips of were wearing masks which will help mitigate things a great deal.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
At least most were wearing masks, unlike Trump's rallies. Can't blame people for wanting to celebrate after 4 years of hell and misery.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As others said, plenty of mask wearing. Though I do wish people were more distanced. Our numbers are skyrocketing in PA

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Most everyone was wearing masks. That's kind of been the cornerstone of this whole campaign.

It's not just the masks, though. It's the physical distancing. Those crowds gathered to talk trash across the street from the White House, were absolutely packed end to end. No space anywhere.

All it takes is one person, to create a super spreader event. That's why distancing matters.

Jul 16, 2020
Outside + masks makes a big difference. But yeah, I think everyone needed to get that out of their systems, and I don't think it will cause a further spike. We'll see.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't blame them for celebrating, but contrary to what's been said here a lot of footage I have seen has had no social distancing and a lot of people without masks.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i've been watching bloc party videos from yesterday on repeat and constantly tear up every time but... yeah these are super spreader events, mask or no mask. lets get real

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this was one of my concerns seeing all those big street parties on the news. It will inevitably lead to a bit of an uptick in the cities, but hopefully these being short lived and everyone wearing masks will prevent these events from becoming major spreaders.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the concern but the people celebrating are practicing safe distancing (mostly) and wearing masks. BLM protests didn't contribute to any major spike in cases as I doubt we'll see any spikes from the celebrations now.

Where I am sure we will see spikes are in rural counties where people were gathering to intimidate election officials.

Watch this. And especially around 5: 45 or so. There is no mostly distancing about it.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah for sure but good luck stopping people from dancing in the street from joy. At least they weren't official organized events, it was all pretty organic from what I saw, unlike Trump rallies

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a study done that there was not any sort of significant increase in covid cases linked to the June/July massive protests?

Plus, esp this time I saw most people wearing masks, that will help a lot.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The next month is going to see more record numbers, combined with the dropping temperatures, it's going to be ugly.

That said, I don't blame people for celebrating. A lot of America as a whole had already given up on trying to curb Covid outside of wearing masks (and it's not just republicans), and that's going to be a huge hurdle to overcome in the next year or so

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure they'll spread the virus, but I also think that maybe if the current president gave a shit and had been a leader on the virus, maybe it would be less of a problem.

I basically look at this issue as a legitimate but backdoor whatabout situation, just like protesting in the Summer.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Almost everyone in yesterdays gatherings were wearing mask.

It doesn't mean there may not be spreader events form it, but just the act of wearing masks makes a huge difference.

Ask Herman Cain about it.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But haven't people already been doing this on both sides now? When it comes to covid, we're just fucked till there's a vaccine.

I don't think saying that we're fucked anyway is a great take.

It is concerning and not a great look, that said I just posted this on Twitter responding to a comparison between the celebration after a football game last night and the election celebrations. Spoiler tagging since it's my own Tweet but it's in line with this conversation.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
That's what they said about the BLM protests and that wasn't true at all.

i feel like that criticism was more to 'pwn the libs' you can't really quantify how much those protests did or didn't infect. maybe there's contact tracing to refute that i dunno

but i think bar none large gatherings = dangerous until there is a serious downtick in cases

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
and if Trump won there wouldn't be this same concern?

There was always going to be mass parties and congregations.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I went out yesterday near me, staying out of the actual crowd... everyone was wearing masks more than I usually see tbh.

Is it concerning? Yeah. Especailly other celebrations I see where people are on top of each other. Idk what you can realistically do though, people are going to celebrate, it's 4 years worth of catharsis.

It's not really a partisan thing though, look at all of the trump gatyherings yesterday or still going. Those people are gathering too, they don't even wear masks, so idk.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wearing a mask is such a simple precaution, and unlike idiot right-wingers, these people are wearing them. It's not 100% effective, but it seriously reduces the risk.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Masks + being outside helps reduce the chances but there's definitely a risk especially with how packed some of the crowds look.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
i feel like that criticism was more to 'pwn the libs' you can't really quantify how much those protests did or didn't infect. maybe there's contact tracing to refute that i dunno

but i think bar none large gatherings = dangerous until there is a serious downtick in cases

I don't think you're wrong that they're way more susceptible but I do think the people there are doing what they can to mitigate what they can (outside of not being there, obviously).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Most were wearing mask and it's super hard to control the outpouring of emotions.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on local case numbers somewhat but generally if everyone is masked and outside there isn't much chance for infection, as seen in the summer's protests. There's still some risk but it's probably better overall to get it out of everyone's system a little bit and reduce social pressure for one weekend which will likely help improve mental resilience and voluntary compliance with health orders going forward this winter.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's literally the thing we've been trying to explain to Republicans all along: life can go back to a more normal existence if they'll just wear one and sanitize.

There was no spike during the BLM protests because they wore masks and sanitized.

Masks don't help much in this scenario unless it covers your full face.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The next 2 weeks will tell. And it's also concerning because US Thanksgiving is also around the corner, in combination with the fucking madness of Black Friday sales.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Studies showed us from the BLM protests that outdoor gatherings didn't result in too many cases. People knew to keep their masks on and to not hang out in tightly packed bars and shit like the way Sturgis turned into a superspreader.

But every crowd is different, so we'll know in a couple weeks.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah masks aren't magic. you guys are on top of each other. I hope you smart up soon but not holding my breath.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in Philly and saw a lot of maskless parties in people's homes on social media and have to imagine more people were aware enough to not share it. Lots of people just wanted to get drunk and have fun last night.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Not only that but Biden has been actively encouraging masks and responsibility for people's celebrations. And we saw from the BLM protests this summer that with discipline and mask wearing there is very very limited spread.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it is not great, but I don't see it "continuing" to some degree where it becomes a major cause for concern.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's not the smartest move but people wanna let off some steam after a tiring four years and an extra stressful year, especially in big cities. I get it. And they're wearing masks and they're outside. Which helps greatly mitigate spread.

And plenty of people in the media have commented on it. So no one is ignoring the giant elephant in the room.

The very first thing Biden is announcing tmrw is about covid. He's not wasting time attacking it.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Between the protests, Lakers, Dodgers and Biden, I don't think Los Angeles has stopped gathering outside for months.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

Lmao that's how you get 130k new cases a day. People take this too lightly.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's absolutely a concern. Not just the visible crowds in the streets but also the private indoor gatherings.
Comparing it to the BLM protests ignores the fact that we're in a wildly different phase of the pandemic compared to back then.
There is currently a huge surge in daily cases in the US and Europe. The infection growth had a whole different dynamic in late May / early June when it was mostly stable.

Mask work a great deal obviously but are not the end of all solution against the virus. As you can see from european countries with mask mandates which still have to go into lockdown.
Autumn/Winter are just that much more dangerous now than the summer months.

I get the concern but the people celebrating are practicing safe distancing (mostly) and wearing masks.

Almost none of the crowds they showed on CNN yesterday were practicing social distancing