Choose wisely

• Twin

Votes: 192 51.6%
  • Snakes

Votes: 180 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
MGS is better. I don't mind the Twin Snakes cutscenes (for the most part), what I do mind though is the games horrible music, bored voice acting, and strange changes to the script (It's not a weak point, it's a weakness!).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PLAYSTATION 1 Version, all day, every day.

Better voice acting - yes the same actors are used in the remake but there is something missing, a sense of urgency or tension in their performances is gone.

Cutscenes are better - too many scenes in the remake are straight up dumb, case in point

1247731508415l8jge.gif

Atmosphere is EVERYWHERE - the remake loses the small touches like atmospheric audio sounds that really added to the experience. Compare the "they're spraying the vents" cutscene to see what I mean.

Gameplay suits the level design - the remake has MGS2 improved abilities but the same MGS1 level and boss design, which breaks the game and makes it far too easy.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit OP what have you done...

In any case my favorite part of the argument surrounding this is the people that are like:

"The cutscene stuff is wayyyy too over the top"

And then those same folks went on to continue playing further Metal Gear games that made Twin Snakes cut scenes look like some extremely grounded, boring nonsense. After 4 in particular, I was like "So much for Twin Snakes being far to 'over the top'". Shit was bizarre.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone would make a mod to insert the original music into Twin Snakes :(

But yes, Twin Snakes ftw.

I tried playing the PSX original recently, which just made me want to play Twin Snakes. So I stopped and booted Twin Snakes on Dolphin and beat it lol. No regrets.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Matrix shit is just embarrassing. Scenes play out like a kid playing with action figures. For a series as wacky as MGS is, it needs a little bit of grounding to make it work. Snake was a good soldier in the ps1 game, hes bootleg Neo in TTS. Also the MGS2 style controls broke the game. The only right answer would be the most realistic and grounded MGS4: Guns of the Patriots.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is literally the worst thread this forum has ever seen. The ACTUAL poll a month ago from a user that wanted real opinions, showed that twin snakes was the worst answer by a mile. plus basic logic and human decency.

Twin snakes is trash. I'm tempted to make a video of me melting my copy or something if these threads keep popping up.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here is a video of Solid Snake back flipping off a flying missile in order to achieve a 10 metre high double jump at which point gravity stops just long enough for him to shoot at missile at Liquid.

I know Solid Snake is not exactly a normal human but he was supposed to behave like one. It was like a reflection of the player, you witness all these bizarre things going on and you are left bewildered but in TTS, Solid Snake has become just as bizarre.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
PS1.

For me, Snake was a regular, albeit badass, soldier who succeeded against incredible odds without the obnoxious gymnastics. They're more suited to Grey Fox and Raiden because they're designed for that from the ground up. Snake for me is the embodiment of the regular human soldier who can stand toe to toe with the superhuman and supernatural because he's just that skilled and determined.

Twin Snakes was cool the first time but I'll never see it as the canon version. As a retelling of the events from a second hand account it's still pretty cool, and in a way it makes 2 and 4 even better because it just reinforces the fact that this legendary hero of Shadow Moses was still very much human.

EDIT: I guess Snake was a bit more than just a regular human, but not on the level shown in Twin Snakes.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Only played snakes tho heard the FPS broke the game. Was it not the same at MGS2's. There's a difference between "game breaking" and "modernizing."

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1.
Twin Snakes was cool the first time but I'll never see it as the canon version. As a retelling of the events from a second hand account it's still pretty cool, and in a way it makes 2 and 4 even better because it just reinforces the fact that this legendary hero of Shadow Moses was still very much human.

Perhaps the best comment I ever heard regarding TTS is to imagine it's Otacon's version of events as he tells Sunny.

Wadatah

Aug 8, 2018
Sorry OP, but I'm giving the PS1 version for the advantage for having Naomi and Mei Ling's accents. It's a petty thing to get hung up on, but we are on a gaming message board.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
Twin Snakes is good but PS1 is better in my opinion, but as long as you understand what's different I could care less which version you play/like

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The original is the better game, Twin Snakes is the "funner" game

Everyone should play the PS1 version first canonically, then, after playing MGS2, check out the weirdness that is Twin Snakes.

They're both great but they offer wildly different experiences. I played Twin Snakes first myself but ultimately thought the original conveyed the story and tone much more successfully

(the voice acting is better in Twin Snakes tho, but that's mostly because I'm a stickler for canon. I do wish they kept Naomi's British accent at least. Mei Ling's accent, meanwhile, didn't make much sense considering she was born and raised in America)

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always appreciate Twin Snakes for including that little secret chamber where you can heat up and cool down the keycard without all the backtracking.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
this is literally the worst thread this forum has ever seen. The ACTUAL poll a month ago from a user that wanted real opinions, showed that twin snakes was the worst answer by a mile. plus basic logic and human decency.

Twin snakes is trash. I'm tempted to make a video of me melting my copy or something if these threads keep popping up.
i dunno man it's looking like twin snakes is taking the lead on this poll

make sure to record in HD when you make the video, i don't wanna see ps1 graphix on youtube

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that something was lost when MGS went from crazy to wacky, but it paid off in MGS4 so I'll let this one slide.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go so far as to call Twin Snakes garbage, but it isn't as good as the original. It's just not.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I think Twin Snakes is vastly Superior and much more updated. Never understood the hate. It's what I want our if a remake. Not a reskin. A dually update the game and add things. Not just graphics.

Nov 23, 2017

Your inane anger just tells me that the tone of TTS worked: it got you to to react strongly, something I don't really associate with mgs1 on ps1. (MGS2 is a different story)

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
Twin Snakes is the only metal gear solid next to revengeance that UNDERSTANDS the tone the metal gear franchise with it's ghost arms need
I came here to post this, MGS Twin Snakes instantly made me a MGS fanboy, then I went to get every game in the series up to MGS4 at the time, I kept playing each one hoping for the same click and nothing until MGR, that tone just fits the premise, everything else takes the ridiculous parts too seriously just because the undertone is a serious one, when you can do both, as a piece of artwork it should have that dynamic.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There was a video I saw on YouTube somewhere that made a pretty interesting point regarding the two.

The original MGS is the true experience, with the game designed expertly around the limitations of the engine. Twin Snakes adding the first person view, among other fun convenience features, basically broke the game by making it too easy, and the cutscenes are really too flashy and arcadey compared to the original.

So that means the original MGS is the way you should play the game the first time, and Twin Snakes is the way you should play it subsequent times, as a more fun, arcadey experience that isn't the way the game is supposed to be, but will give you a nice burst of fun.

I haven't played either in a long time, so I can't comment personally on that, lol. But it makes sense based on what I know about the games.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Man the wackiness of Twin Snakes is the reason I started to like the franchise a whole bunch lol. Shit was great, it hit a great level of wackiness and had fun with itself that I wouldn't see for years. It's also a good prepper for the whacky shit that will happen in MGSV and MGSIV.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
MGS1 is a better overall game/experience, but twin snakes is more fun to play, and honestly the wacky over the top cutscenes have a certain charm to it, but if i look back, ive probably replayed MGS1 like 20 times and TT like 3, so theres that i guess.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only played snakes tho heard the FPS broke the game. Was it not the same at MGS2's. There's a difference between "game breaking" and "modernizing."

Nah, it literally broke the game.

They used MGS2's engine and all the gameplay additions that came with it, but also decided to faithfully recreate the original map, boss fights and guard patterns. The result was the ability to cheese most encounters due to having abilities you weren't afforded in the original.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Twin Snakes is interesting, but the original is a masterpiece. Pretty easy choice for me. The music is much better in the original, and I find the performances in the original superior to anything in the rest of the series. Game Informer did a deep dive into the recording of the game which is well worth watching for big fans of the game.

Oct 28, 2017
If you are playing the series for the first time, Twin Snakes leads into Sons of Liberty much better than OG MGS.

TTS only fault is not being able to use the Classic Metal Gear Theme but I think that was cause of the law suit at the time.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original version for me. Twin Snakes is not bad but the overral experience the original ps1 version gave me at release was something truly amazing and special.

Space

Aug 16, 2018
Man, this has always been a super contentious debate. I can't even decide, I know it's a cop-out, but both have qualities that I liked. I was just glad to be able to play MGS on my GC after my PSX died. I'll take both please.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
TS make it too ridicolous in many parts of it in my hopinion.
MGS is already over the normal in many scenes and decision (like Psycho mantis fight), but it was classy how they managed it.
TS exagerate everything.
EDIT:
To me TS is more like a Fan-made remake for how it's done... adding MGS2 style gameplay out of nowhere and everything else...
You can try it later, but don't ruin the experience playing it first, that is what I would say to anyone.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
100% Twin Snakes all the way.

It is, without a doubt, the best Metal Gear Solid experience in the history of the franchise. It has the best story (from the original game), the best gameplay (from the second game), and it knows how goofy it should be while still framing Snake as an absolute bad ass.

People complain about the Ocelot fight, I don't think it's much of a big deal at all. Can't throw out how amazing this game is just cause of one slightly (in my opinion) botched fight.

I cannot express how much I love/d this game. I still have my copy and I play it about once a year. And, oh yeah, the GC controller with the analog triggers? It's a beast with this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Bad OP. Bad.

Original is infinitely times better than the otacon in a bar hyping the Shadow Moses incident.

The music of the original alone destroys Twin Snakes.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
While I do appreciate Twin Snakes for what it is, and though the cutscenes are way too overblown and bombastic, it can't top the original!