• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better scene

• SSJ Goku

Votes: 229 49.2%
  • SSJ2 Gohan

Votes: 236 50.8%

• Total voters

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I think Gohan's was better foreshadowed, written and all around better...

...but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy Goku's more. He just made me mark out more as a kid.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna go with Goku. The way Frieza killed krillen was legendary. Pop goes the weasel.

But it's a hard choice, both are pretty great

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think in a vacuum, Gohan going SSJ2 is more epic.

But with context, and as someone who has followed Goku's journey since he and I were both kids, Goku going SSJ will always be better.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i just voted, thus creating the perfect balance by accident :

unknown.png

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Goku's was really the culmination of his entire journey, discovering his roots and the story told around Freeza vs Saiyans. There's no contest, no matter how cool Gohan's was. Goku's is so much more impressive and story relevant.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Goku's SS1 was better but Gohan's SS2 lead to the father-son kamehameha which is one of the best moments in DB history.

Goku going UItra Instinct and the build up to it - was 100x more memorable

I loved that UI had a build up to it. More "why isn't this shit working properly" throughout the end of the tournament vs "wham bam thank you ma'am I just got a power up"

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Father-son kamehameha has nothing on Family Kamehameha by the way, don't @ me

776b343a5a30057baaf6b44b358c38168146ae70_hq.gif

Far superior <3

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Goku's because at that point being a Super Saiyan meant something. When Gohan became SSJ2 Dragon Ball Z had already jumped the shark.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Goku was more shiny and new, but that moment basically amounted to him being upset by Krillin's death and Frieza being a general dickhead. Gohan's transformation had the emotional weight of being forced to be a fighter when he wasn't meant to be. If he didn't answer the call, his friends were going to be beaten to death in front of his very eyes and then his home planet destroyed. All because Cell was being a general dickhead and wanted a challenge from Gohan.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The stages of SS are all meaningless after the first one.. the OG transformation was the moment I spent the whole first few seasons waiting for, I didn;t care much about 2 and even less about 3. Gohan being the savior was nice though and it's a shame that was the last meaningful thing he did

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OG transformation was legendary. It was a culmination of everything and a perfect way for the ending of the cell saga. The fact it didn't take much longer in the grand scheme of things to reach super Saiyan level 2 and that by that point everybody and their mums had already transformed to super Saiyan it just meant for me Gohans wasn't all that special.

By the buu saga when even the kids got the transformation that's when it became a joke.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan's story up to that point is a lot more interesting to me than Goku's ever has been.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
spirit vs spirit puts Gohans transformation over the edge for me.
edit: pretty much the same as above lol.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing tops the first time Goku went SSJ. That shit changed the franchise forever.
Gohan's transformation and the resulting Father-Son Kamehameha was a cool moment but I'd still put stuff like Goku's UI transformations (both first UI Omen and MUI) over it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I actually find the Goku SSJ3 transformation to be the most memorable/iconic in my mind, even though I basically hate everything about it as a story beat.

Like I could probably sit down and storyboard the entire scene with dialogue from memory, no problem, even though I hate the Buu Saga and forgot half the names of the characters from it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gohan's had better build-up I feel, you can only kill Krillin so many times before its old hat.

I actually find the Goku SSJ3 transformation to be the most memorable/iconic in my mind, even though I basically hate everything about it as a story beat.

Like I could probably sit down and storyboard the entire scene with dialogue from memory, no problem, even though I hate the Buu Saga and forgot half the names of the characters from it.
Also this, yea. That whole scene was basically one giant flex by Goku and its amazing.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I put SSJ over SSJ2 because at that point, I wanted to see Frieza get his asskicked SO badly. And that was the payoff. That's when you knew he was going to get humiliated.

And he did.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Goku's, it's probably one of the most important scenes in the entire series and has seemingly inspired generations of authors.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I like them both a lot, but the hype I felt as a kid when I first witnessed Goku going Super Saiyan is indescribable.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
The song that plays when Gohan goes SS2 gives him the edge
If Funimation did one more take at the audio/music mix for DBZ, I would sincerely petition them to get the English cover of Unmei No Hei that Team Four Star put together and use that. AFAIC, that is now the "canonical" song for the English dub for that scene.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan ssj2 w/ dubs. It is well documented how much better and true to the source the dub was for this particular scene (og funi). Most people would agree the og funi dub is head and shoulders above the jp dubbing anyway as whole and it set the bar for western dubbing so high. One of the few anime with better dubbing.

Yuyu hakusho is in a close second.

Gohan SSJ2, complete with the Faulconer score and English dub. :D
Yup.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I would have picked goku if i wasnt spoiled so hard about his transformation before it aired. By the time he did it, I already knew when, where, and how he was going to do it due to spoilers from word of mouth and watching specials (with him already transformed) elsewhere in Japanese.

The western audience had to wait forever iirc. I had little intel on gohan's transformation.. hell, i even knew about trunks and his transformation from a vhs promo video that came out YEARS before trunks' actual transformation. Hilarious.

It was this:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
SSJ2 Gohan in both the anime and manga. It's pretty clear Toriyama didn't have a strong idea on how to make forms debut stand out yet when Super Saiyan first appeared, and in the manga the transformation ends up feeling rather muted due to that. The anime greatly improved on that though.
Later on, Toriyama had a better gripe on things and did a good transformation for SSJ2 even in the manga, but the anime staff surpassed themselves with SSJ2, with an unique theme song and the general directing of the scene.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Goku's transformation changed manga and anime as we know it. Weird cause in concept it was quite simple.

The whole frieza plus saiyan saga is still peak shonen to me. So yeah the climax of that is definitely my favourite.

Jun 10, 2018
Gohan's fight with Cell might be the most anticlimactic and underwhelming final fight of any of the classic Dragon Ball storylines.
That's honestly what makes it great though. Cell lived up to the hype as being the deadliest and most destructive force the Z fighters have went up against at that point, so much so that even Goku realizes Cell wasn't anywhere near his limit during their fight after he powered up. And yet even he couldn't hold a candle to a Gohan finally tapped into his max potential.

Edit: and yes I just broke the tie 😈

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Gohan turning SS2 (or the ensuing fight) probably wouldn't even be a top 5 DBZ moment for me tbh.

Don't get me wrong: it was cool for all of the foreshadowing to pay off with Gohan finally realizing his potential, but...he and Cell had barely interacted prior to that point. The dynamic between them was pretty flat imo, and the fight itself wasn't particularly memorable either. The father/son Kamehameha is a cool scene, but...it's nothing more than that.

I'd take Goku turning Super Saiyan 3 over this, let alone the OG transformation.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Goku. Probably the most excited that I ever got watching DBZ as a kid. It had a longer build up and it felt more impactful having Krillin's death be the catalyst. They're both great but for some reason the stakes felt higher on Namek. I guess Frieza was a bit more intimidating as a villain and the pay off of seeing him struggle against Super Saiyan Goku was cathartic.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Goku. His was a game changer. He fulfilled an ancient legend that no one had seen in thousands of years in the face of impending doom. Then all of a sudden there's further forms of it, and any Saiyan can do it if they try hard enough.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide which one. Goku beats it because the stakes were much more higher. If Piccolo died again, that would be the end of the Dragon Balls forever. Krillin died a second time, so he couldn't be brought back with the Earth Dragon Balls, and Frieza had his eyes set on Gohan. Then Goku finally snaps and goes SSJ. It is awesome...

But the presentation of Gohan going SSJ2 is better. Day of Destiny makes this scene so memorable.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol that perfectly even poll (at this point 181-181).

I chose Gohan. Great build-up to surpass his father and as others have mentioned, father-son Kamehameha is amazing.