• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
With more and more rumours swirling about imminent announcements and possibly preorders, it's time to think about which retailer to go with (assuming you're picking one up at launch).

Are you planning on an online purchase or risking in-store / midnight launches?

Personally I'm in the UK, between GAME, Amazon, SimplyGames, Smyths, Currys etc. it's hard to know who will be most reliable. Anyone from UK-Era had experience with prior console launches with good / bad experiences? I did Xbox One at launch from a GAME store at midnight, it'll be online only for me this time around.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
UK here so GAME

I've never pre-ordered a console online, really want to get rid of this PS4

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Have never done a day one console online before, but will be trying through Amazon.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
ShopTo. Had my preorder for the PS5 and Series X with them since they went live and went with them for Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Wii U.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Amazon and shopto. Have pre-preordered on shopto. Will try both and cancel if I'm 100% one is secure.

OP
OP
BraXzy

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing is trade-ins for current consoles. Is it better to get rid ASAP before prices bottom out, or will retailers have worthwhile offers on to trade up?

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I have a scheme at work which lets me buy tech from Currys and pay it off interest free over 12 months, so may go that route. Otherwise Amazon.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Normally Shopto but I traded in my Switch and games at GAME so I've got £470 sat on my account that's going to go towards my PS5. If I get an Xbox I'll probably just get it from Shopto or Amazon.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
ShopTo have never done me wrong and always deliver on launch day at the latest for games and consoles, so no reason not to go with them again.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
I really want to support The Game Collection as they've been brilliant all year on preorders even during Covid but have always gone Amazon previously. May give one to Amazon and one to TGC

OP
OP
BraXzy

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Normally Shopto but I traded in my Switch and games at GAME so I've got £470 sat on my account that's going to go towards my PS5. If I get an Xbox I'll probably just get it from Shopto or Amazon.

Not too long ago I did a big purge of existing stuff at Music Magpie and CEX. So thankfully a lot of my stuff went into cash.

I was surprised at how much money I got back for things like spare Xbox controllers... I was getting up to £30 a pop!

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon UK got my Switch and PS4 and Pro from there. They have always got my console to me in good shape at launch (except the Pro which did arrive but DPD decided to not ring the bell).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not too long ago I did a big purge of existing stuff at Music Magpie and CEX. So thankfully a lot of my stuff went into cash.

I was surprised at how much money I got back for things like spare Xbox controllers... I was getting up to £30 a pop!
Yeah I had a look around but getting cash at a store rather than credit would have left me around £100 worse off. Hopefully they'll still be in business by the time the machines launch!

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Either Amazon UK (I have prime) or more probably I'll order direct from Microsoft.

I feel like ordering direct from the company has got to be better than going through a third-party reseller, right?

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Smyths Toys. Never let me down before and day and date delivery on new releases. I also have a few hundred quid in vouchers for them so there's that.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon, I used to go GAME for all my consoles but my worst fear is they collapse financially before consoles are out

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
Either Amazon UK (I have prime) or more probably I'll order direct from Microsoft.

I feel like ordering direct from the company has got to be better than going through a third-party reseller, right?

Not always - I ordered the Mario Lego from Lego and got it way later than release date versus people who just ordered from toy stores!

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Amazon, especially if it lets you pay in interest-free payments like it did for my Switch. No downside to doing that, really.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon and ShopTo have been doing instalment-free monthly payments on certain items for a while now. I can see that being the case with ShopTo for these consoles and possibly Amazon too.

Any other retailer will need to come up with a strong offer to tempt me away from those two.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone ordered direct from MS for a launch day? I have £60 in reward points I'd like to use so MS makes sense but only if they are reliable for day and date delivery

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Like others have said, ShopTo for me too. Got my PS4 and PS4 Pro with them just fine. Waiting for the pre-order live page to appear and day now!

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Amazon but I'll go wherever if need be. I am a bit more worried this time, despite never really having any issues with delayed games or consoles. Don't want to end up as one of the unfortunate pile who will get bad news in their email inbox a couple of weeks before launch.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon. The days where i stormed into a retail shop with a bunch of other people getting my ribs messed up in the process are over.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
ShopTo in the UK, not let me down yet. Boycotted Amazon for years and I don't particularly trust anywhere else (or to even be in business by November)

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm hoping my local 'big Tesco' has pre-orders because I've got a bunch of clubcard points saved up to knock a big chunk out of the price. That and I feel more secure going somewhere in person lol

I'll probably be putting in my PS5 order on Amazon/ShopTo/whatever anyway just in case the above doesn't do pre-orders. Would be amazing if Amazon did their 'pay in 5 monthly instalments' thing, but I doubt they will.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Best Buy

I don't trust Amazon about day of release. And Best Buy seems to get me things day of or even earlier than release dates sometimes

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Whichever one I'm actually able to pre-order at. Never had a problem with any retailer here.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Amazon. I would use GAME, but as others have said, who knows if it'll still be solvent by November.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Amazon and Saturn here in Germany, will cancel one preorder in the end or give it to dumb friend who thinks he will get one at launch when not preordering right away after the announcement.

Oct 27, 2017
With more and more rumours swirling about imminent announcements and possibly preorders, it's time to think about which retailer to go with (assuming you're picking one up at launch).

Are you planning on an online purchase or risking in-store / midnight launches?

Personally I'm in the UK, between GAME, Amazon, SimplyGames, Smyths, Currys etc. it's hard to know who will be most reliable. Anyone from UK-Era had experience with prior console launches with good / bad experiences? I did Xbox One at launch from a GAME store at midnight, it'll be online only for me this time around.

Preordered a preorder slot from ShopTo months ago. Same with base.

Would prefer Argos as they do midnight delivery apparently. Hopefully amazon do it too.

OP
OP
BraXzy

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping my local 'big Tesco' has pre-orders because I've got a bunch of clubcard points saved up to knock a big chunk out of the price. That and I feel more secure going somewhere in person lol

I'll probably be putting in my PS5 order on Amazon/ShopTo/whatever anyway just in case the above doesn't do pre-orders. Would be amazing if Amazon did their 'pay in 5 monthly instalments' thing, but I doubt they will.

Ahh with Tesco Direct being culled I didn't even think about them. It's a shame their Clubcard boost only works on the likes of day trips now.

I remember my Mum bought an Xbox for my brother with points that were tripled in value when applied to the purchase.