Japanese imports are a-ok. And your reply MUST INCLUDE 'and its not even close'!

• PS1

Votes: 413 36.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 106 9.4%
  • Saturn

Votes: 106 9.4%
  • DS

Votes: 163 14.5%
  • NES

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • Other (Genesis, GBA, Wii, PSP, PC-Engine, N64 lol, Dreamcast etc)

Votes: 118 10.5%
  • PS2

Votes: 205 18.2%

• Total voters

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
PSP is a personal top 5 console but I don't think it's hidden gem game is that strong. Wii is maybe top 10 but again, the same. Aside from it's lightgun-style games I'd say the majority of it's hidden gems are very middling. GBA is a good choice but not as strong as DS or SNES so I left it out.
I realize that none of these ON THEIR OWN would beat DS or SNES (or PlayStation [1], in the case of this poll), but I was expecting all of them combined to dominate. Perhaps there's a stigma to selecting "Other" in a poll if there's at least one strong non-Other choice?

And it still bums me out that Wii was sort of the last big hurrah for lightgun-style games. I mean, it's crazy to me that a company like Sony that MAKES TVS can't even be bothered to be like, "Hey, wouldn't it get awesome to build some new tech into TVs to make air mice and lightguns work better?" I know it's kind of a niche thing, but you'd think having a good air mouse to navigate menus would be enough of a selling point to have it worked into the capabilities of screens in general. Surely there's SOMETHING that can be done in that regard.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the Saturn but mostly because I don't even know what those gems are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's a toss up for me between SFC, PS1 and DS. For the combination for quantity and quality.

I also feel like best on say Saturn or PC Engine can hang with the best on those platforms but they just don't have the same scale of stuff.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Saturn had more hidden gems than the PlayStation had good games

I mean, by sheer virtue of the fact that the Saturn basically sold nothing, it would suggest it went by unnoticed, which in turn means most of it's library were "hidden gems". Not sure how the market leading console is going to have a tonne of hidden gems.

But the real answer is the PS360 anyway. That was the generation when game quality overall really stepped up in the industry so a lot of games that would have been considered "great" in previous gens were considered just ok or mediocre in that gen.

Stuff like Stranglehold, Rage, Splt/Second, Outland, Spec Ops The Line etc etc

Nov 19, 2019
Here's a hidden gem that probably no one has ever heard of.

The game was to advanced for its time and we still don't have games that compete with it on certain levels. It was a full on space station sim with events a detailed chat system and multiple endings.

I played when it was actually new-ish. It's funny too because I only got ahold of it because when I was like, 13, I traded my copy of FF7 for it with my dad's friend's girlfriend. Which is also kinda weird in retrospect.

Years later I thought I had imagined the experience because for a long time it was hard to find anything about this game on the internet. But it's real! And kinda boring.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
It won't be popular here because of "the waggle" and how insanely toxic gamers were during that era, but:

It's the Wii, and it isn't close.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I don't know how you put the Saturn as a main poll option and not the Dreamcast or literally any other SEGA console other than Saturn. Hot take: Saturn's library is mostly trash. The good Saturn games are pretty well known at this point by virtue of being ported. Most anything from the Saturn library remaining "hidden" at this point is forgotten for a reason.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised PlayStation [1] is leading the poll by so much. I was honestly expecting "Other" to be well in the lead.

My logic:
  • I'm sure PlayStation [1] has lots of "interesting" games, but I can't imagine wanting to play most of them. Maybe the 2D ones?
  • I could see SNES winning this, but I do think even just the consoles mentioned within parentheses for "Other" still should obliterate it.
  • Saturn is kind of in the same boat as PlayStation, though many of them have aged even worse, and Saturn's library was quite small compared to PlayStation [1]'s.
  • As with SNES, I could see DS taking this if it wasn't for the "Other" category.
  • For NES, yeah, by NES standards, you've got some real gems in there, but they've still mostly aged poorly.
  • PlayStation 2 games are still in that awkward phase of being interesting but generally having terrible controls. That said, it has Amplitude, but that's hardly "hidden" (though definitely a gem).
This is my logic exactly, too. Early 3D games are usually the less appealing retro games for me.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
The Saturn had more hidden gems than the PlayStation had good games

I mean, by sheer virtue of the fact that the Saturn basically sold nothing, it would suggest it went by unnoticed, which in turn means most of it's library were "hidden gems". Not sure how the market leading console is going to have a tonne of hidden gems.

But the real answer is the PS360 anyway. That was the generation when game quality overall really stepped up in the industry so a lot of games that would have been considered "great" in previous gens were considered just ok or mediocre in that gen.

Stuff like Stranglehold, Rage, Splt/Second, Outland, Spec Ops The Line etc etc

Only Stranglehold and Outland could be considered hidden gems from those tbh.

I'm conflicted whether or not to argue PS1 > Saturn because anyone rating the Saturn highly is ok in my books...

I don't know how you put the Saturn as a main poll option and not the Dreamcast or literally any other SEGA console other than Saturn. Hot take: Saturn's library is mostly trash. The good Saturn games are pretty well known at this point by virtue of being ported. Most anything from the Saturn library remaining "hidden" at this point is forgotten for a reason.

Shmups, to be precise!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
PSP is a personal top 5 console but I don't think it's hidden gem game is that strong. Wii is maybe top 10 but again, the same. Aside from it's lightgun-style games I'd say the majority of it's hidden gems are very middling. GBA is a good choice but not as strong as DS or SNES so I left it out.
Hold up my friend. How can a hidden gem be middling? Isn't that just an unknown and average game? Wii has lots of hidden gems.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's a toss up for me between SFC, PS1 and DS. For the combination for quantity and quality.

I also feel like best on say Saturn or PC Engine can hang with the best on those platforms but they just don't have the same scale of stuff.
I'm always eager to read about hidden gem platformers or Zelda-likes for SFC if you've got some faves.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Saturn has better library than Dreamcast, especially when it comes to unported exclusives.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Hold up my friend. How can a hidden gem be middling? Isn't that just an unknown and average game? Wii has lots of hidden gems.

Yes, I obviously meant the games purported to be hidden gems I found to be middling. Stuff like Calling, Fragile Dreams, Lost In Shadow. They're ok and just skimming through that thread (because I'm certain I've read through it previously) a lot of the games mentioned are not what I would call hidden gems. Tatsunoko, Sin and Punishment, Wario, The Last Story...nah.

Edit: With regards to the last sentence, I meant they're not hidden gems because they're well known.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to ask you and NeoZeedeater in that other thread (can't remember which one) where Time Soldier was mentioned...please recommend more Master System games!
You're in the UK, right? That's one of the SMS' more successful regions so games should be easier to find than most places. You probably know of the bigger franchises on the console like Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Sonic, R-Type, and Phantasy Star. I would also recommend games like Penguin Land (puzzle platformer), Kenseiden (action platformer), Power Strike II (shooter), Ultima IV (frickin' hard RPG), Golvellius (action-adventure), and most light gun games for it: Rescue Mission, Safari Hunt, Gangster Town, Missile Defense 3D, Rambo III.

The sheer quantity of hidden stuff won't be like Playstations or some other later consoles, though. The market expanded a lot more after the 8-bit era. But most people on this site probably missed the SMS entirely, anyway. On Era, even most of the best selling original Atari 2600 games (stuff like Yars Revenge and Demon Attack) are probably hidden gems here just because of their release dates.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
You're in the UK, right? That's one of the SMS' more successful regions so games should be easier to find than most places. You probably know of the bigger franchises on the console like the Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Sonic, R-Type, and Phantasy Star. I would also recommend games like Penguin Land (puzzle platformer), Kenseiden (action platformer), Power Strike II (shooter), Ultima IV (frickin' hard RPG), Golvellius (action-adventure), and most light gun games for it: Rescue Mission, Safari Hunt, Gangster Town, Missile Defense 3D, Rambo III.

The sheer quantity of hidden stuff won't be like Playstations or some other later consoles, though. The market expanded a lot more after the 8-bit era. But most people on this site probably missed the SMS entirely, anyway. On Era, even most of the best selling original Atari 2600 games (stuff like Yars Revenge and Demon Attack) are probably hidden gems here just because of their release dates.

Thanks. Yes, I'm from the UK will have a look-see at some of those.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
The SNES has one of the most popular, widely-known picked-over libraries ever, there's very little that's hidden there.

It's the PS2, PS1, and Saturn in that order, and it's not even close.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Out of curiosity, which PS1 games would the OP consider hidden gems

I mentioned a few (albeit indirectly) here in post #14.

But I think I'm just gonna flood this thread with gifs of PS1 hidden gems later tonight or tomorrow night. Cause I love making gifs and I love the PS1.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think as someone in the US, the Saturn's gotta be up there when you take into consideration the Japanese market, especially if you were into shoot-'em-ups. My goodness, there were a ton of them, and nobody really knew about them outside of fan circles. Even in the US, the console was so unpopular that you could consider a lot of the domestic releases in the same hidden gems category.

balb

Oct 30, 2017

But I think I'm just gonna flood this thread with gifs of PS1 hidden gems later tonight or tomorrow night. Cause I love making gifs and I love the PS1.

Ah okay, missed that. Just wanted to make sure what your definition of hidden gems is. Could have been games like Suikoden and Grandia which technically didn't sell well, but shouldn't be considered hidden gems imo :p

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always eager to read about hidden gem platformers or Zelda-likes for SFC if you've got some faves.
Just listing a few...

Zeldas: Gunman's Proof, Twisted Tales of Spike McFang, Goof Troop, Goemon 3, Brain Lord, Marvelous
Platformers: DoReMi Fantasy, Magical Pop'n, Hagane, Jerry Boy 2, Skyblazer, Umihara Kawase, Majuu Ou

In truth there's actually a lot more in both genres on the NES.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have been on a PS1 kick this year, buying Japanese versions that are cheaper and have better box art than their Western counterparts, in addition playing many of the games I still owned from the '90s.

Yeah, I think NES has more hidden gems than SNES. Even though nearly everyone gaming back then (in North America at least) is aware of the most popular NES games, there's a lot of stuff that was either stuck in Japan or released in the West in limited quantities late in its lifespan.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
You called it OP. The PS1 was the wild west of gaming consoles. That generation was a hugely experimental era and so many developers were happy to put out the weirdest shit. Hence why it's the greatest system of them all. There are still PS1 games I'm discovering for the first time to this day.

To anyone with the slightest fondness of the PS1, I recommend checking out some of its Japan-only releases that have received fan translations over time. There's some gems and interesting curios in there, like Dr. Slump, LSD Dream Emulator, Iru!, Bloody Bride, Brave Prove, Echo Night 2, Remote Control Dandy, TearRing Saga and Mizzurna Falls. Racing Lagoon is in the process of being translated now also.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I obviously meant the games purported to be hidden gems I found to be middling. Stuff like Calling, Fragile Dreams, Lost In Shadow. They're ok and just skimming through that thread (because I'm certain I've read through it previously) a lot of the games mentioned are not what I would call hidden gems. Tatsunoko, Sin and Punishment, Wario, The Last Story...nah.

Edit: With regards to the last sentence, I meant they're not hidden gems because they're well known.
Honestly I really didn't understand that's what you meant, wasn't being facetious or anything. I understand your meaning now though. Personally I think there are a lot of great hidden gems on Wii, like Zack & Wiki, Klonoa and Fluidity, but I understand it might partially come down to what kinds of games appeal to you. And yeah, how broad your definition of hidden gem is. Certainly not Wario but for most gamers the others ones you listed would be unknown, though, I understand we're on a gaming enthusiast forum so the definition will vary.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just listing a few...

Zeldas: Gunman's Proof, Twisted Tales of Spike McFang, Goof Troop, Goemon 3, Brain Lord, Marvelous
Platformers: DoReMi Fantasy, Magical Pop'n, Hagane, Jerry Boy 2, Skyblazer, Umihara Kawase, Majuu Ou

Thanks so much for these. Some of them have been on my radar and some I haven't heard of. I have DoReMi on Wii but haven't played more than a few minutes. As my Japanese improves I plan to play more of them. I played Starfy for the first time last year and I was surprised how text-heavy it was. But I figure the platformers you mentioned will have a lot less (and a game like Marvelous, a lot more). If you feel like listing a few NES/Famicom games I'd be glad to read them!

It won't be popular here because of "the waggle" and how insanely toxic gamers were during that era, but:

It's the Wii, and it isn't close.

I voted Saturn, but truthfully thought SNES/SFC is probably the true leader.
And then you came along with this and, yep.

This is the true answer, folks.

I collect primarily unknown games for retro consoles, more than even the first party/heavy hitters, and my Wii shelf is chock full of absolutely obscure, fun games. Love it.

Subjectivity is a killer in these situations - but for me, PS1's hidden "gems" are primarily just middling titles that aren't really as playable these days. However, you could very much make the argument that Wii is the same.

Also, how obscure does something have to be in order to be considered "hidden"? Who knows.

PCE CD is one system that I'd love to say is full of hidden gems...but most of them are kinda mediocre games.
Though I would say it's easily the most unknown library of great games unknown to almost all but the most devoted collectors.

Honestly, Genesis/MD is probably right up there in the Top 3. Who, outside of the few browsing this thread, knows of:
Ranger X, Pulseman, King Colossus, Assault Suit Leynos, El Viento, Granada, Atomic Runner Chelnov, Gynoug, Elemental Master, Crusader of Centy (fairly well known..), Wardner, Mazin Saga, Arcus Odyssey, Rent-A-Hero, etc....

Every single one of those are worth a play - and are generally quite enjoyable.
What a wild system it is. So much fun to play and collect for.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are some games I like that rarely seem to get mentioned in hidden gems threads:

Firepower 2000/Super SWIV (SNES) - Two player shooter

Megumi Rescue (Mark III) - A paddle controlled game that was developed alongside an arcade version but the latter was cancelled.

Killer Bees! (Odyssey2)

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Always on the lookout for GBA gems so if love to hear your faves. There's so much unusual interesting stuff on GBA, like Pinobee. I really like the Crash games. Lilo and Stitch is a tough-as-nails Run 'n' Gun. I haven't played it but I hear the David Beckham Yoshi's Island-like is good....

I assume you're already familiar with the more well known hidden gems? Like Astroboy, Gunstar, Ninja Five-O and Drill Dozer.

Here's some of my favorites that aren't as well known.

The Bit Generations games (Orbital is my favorite)
Game & Watch Gallery 4
F-Zero Climax
CT Special Forces 1 & 2
Iridion 3D and Iridion II
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
Kurukuru Kururin
Kururin Paradise
Racing Gears Advance
V-Rally 3

Those are the ones I consider better than average. Other than that there's a ton of mediocre games I enjoy. I have a way higher threshold for mediocre games on the GBA than older and newer consoles.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Honestly, Genesis/MD is probably right up there in the Top 3. Who, outside of the few browsing this thread, knows of:
Ranger X, Pulseman, King Colossus, Assault Suit Leynos, El Viento, Granada, Atomic Runner Chelnov, Gynoug, Elemental Master, Crusader of Centy (fairly well known..), Wardner, Mazin Saga, Arcus Odyssey, Rent-A-Hero, etc....

Every single one of those are worth a play - and are generally quite enjoyable.
What a wild system it is. So much fun to play and collect for.

You're missing other great Japan-only shmups too. the MD shines in the obscure titles.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I played when it was actually new-ish. It's funny too because I only got ahold of it because when I was like, 13, I traded my copy of FF7 for it with my dad's friend's girlfriend. Which is also kinda weird in retrospect.

Years later I thought I had imagined the experience because for a long time it was hard to find anything about this game on the internet. But it's real! And kinda boring.

Agreed it was kind of boring, and it was also a real chore just to talk to anyone because you had to manually select each part of a sentence. I never actually completed it, its just amazing a game such as that was released on a console, its clearly an abberation because nothing anywhere has been released like it since.

I would love to see something like it realeased now with some refinements.

You're missing other great Japan-only shmups too. the MD shines in the obscure titles.

I definitely did miss quite a few!
Only gave a quick snapshot of a few JP-only titles.

Like, Battlemania Daiginjou is superb and one of the best shmups of that generation. Gleylancer is cool, too.
Tinkle Tale and Panorama Cotton are also two unique shooters.
Hybrid Front and Surging Aura are also two highly acclaimed SRPGs, not to mention Landgrisser II.
Battle Golfer Yui is a freaking golf RPG.

AND I'd venture to say less people know about these games than the Saturn hidden gems.
And I would also consider these better games than a large number of PS1 hidden gems.

I might flip my answer again to go with Genesis/Mega Drive.
OP, you're missing out.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you're already familiar with the more well known hidden gems? Like Astroboy, Gunstar, Ninja Five-O and Drill Dozer.

Here's some of my favorites that aren't as well known.

The Bit Generations games (Orbital is my favorite)
Game & Watch Gallery 4
F-Zero Climax
CT Special Forces 1 & 2
Iridion 3D and Iridion II
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
Kurukuru Kururin
Kururin Paradise
Racing Gears Advance
V-Rally 3

Those are the ones I consider better than average. Other than that there's a ton of mediocre games I enjoy. I have a way higher threshold for mediocre games on the GBA than older and newer consoles.

Yep, I sure am. I've got Kurukuru Kururin but I'm terrible at it. I think I may have misunderstood the instructions or controls because I only knew a word or two of Japanese when I tried it. Hopefully I did sell it as I'd like to try it again. The rest of your list is definitely less familiar to me. Thanks for the recs!

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
here are more than 100 psx gems you've never heard of

i would love to see the equivalent 100+ list for other systems

sincerely!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
PS2 > PS1 > DS > PSP > Rest in that order.

The library of the first 3 are just insane when you factor in japan and there is just still so much that is rarely talked about from all 4.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here are more than 100 psx gems you've never heard of

i would love to see the equivalent 100+ list for other systems

sincerely!

This should be a great read even if many games require a good amount of Japanese knowledge. Nice to see Suzuki Bakuhatsu there early on. I need to spend more time with Mizzurna Falls now that it has a fan translation.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Ps1 had quite a few but it's nothing compared to the PS2. That was the climax of AA games before game making got too expensive with 360/PS3.

great PS2 hidden gems:
- Mr Mosquito
- Gitaroo Man
- Seek and destroy
- la Pucelle tactics / phantom brave
- Dynasty tactics 1 and 2
- ring of red
- Psyvariar
- chaos wars
- Disaster report
- Stella deus
- mana Khemia
- Speed Kings
- futurama / taz wanted / spongebob movie
- Mad Maestro
- Ribbit king
- Bombastic
- under the skin

And that's on top of my head. So many more out there.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Dreamcast, since the whole library was hidden gems.
This.

I mean, statistically there were more games in the PS1 library so you'd think there would be more hidden gems, but you'd be wrong, because there were only like 10 games everyone on the Dreamcast ever played, so the entire remainder of its library was hidden gems.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks so much for these. Some of them have been on my radar and some I haven't heard of. I have DoReMi on Wii but haven't played more than a few minutes. As my Japanese improves I plan to play more of them. I played Starfy for the first time last year and I was surprised how text-heavy it was. But I figure the platformers you mentioned will have a lot less (and a game like Marvelous, a lot more). If you feel like listing a few NES/Famicom games I'd be glad to read them!
Well, throwing out some more for NES.

Zeldas: Crystalis, Willow, Grand Master, Arista's Ring, Love Warrior Nicol, Esper Dream 1-2, Magic of Scheherazade, Seiken Psycho Caliber, Dragon Scroll, Faria

Platformers: Power Blade 1-2, Krion Conquest, Banana Prince, Shadow of the Ninja, Little Samson, Shatterhand, Mr. Gimmick, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Metal Storm, Journey to Silius, Bio Miracle Boukette Upa, Felix the Cat, Holy Diver, Panic Restaraunt, Tiny Toons 1-2, Little Nemo, Jajamarukun Ginga Daisakusen, Low G Man, Whomp 'Em, Cocoron and really just too many to name. NES was maybe platform heaven.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, fiendcode! Some of those are definitely new to me. I'm going to look into all of them for sure. I have Bio Miracle Boukette Upa but I bounced off of it a bit quickly. Is it worth a full playthrough?

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, throwing out some more for NES.

Zeldas: Crystalis, Willow, Grand Master, Arista's Ring, Love Warrior Nicol, Esper Dream 1-2, Magic of Scheherazade, Seiken Psycho Caliber, Dragon Scroll, Faria

Platformers: Power Blade 1-2, Krion Conquest, Banana Prince, Shadow of the Ninja, Little Samson, Shatterhand, Mr. Gimmick, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Metal Storm, Journey to Silius, Bio Miracle Boukette Upa, Felix the Cat, Holy Diver, Panic Restaraunt, Tiny Toons 1-2, Little Nemo, Jajamarukun Ginga Daisakusen, Low G Man, Whomp 'Em, Cocoron and really just too many to name. NES was maybe platform heaven.
Yeah, the list of quality platformers on NES is huge. I also like Moon Crystal, Bucky O'Hare, Dragon Fighter, Conquest of the Crystal Palace, Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3, Namco Star Wars, Spelunker, Arumana no Kiseki, Batman: Return of the Joker, Hi no Tori, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Kickmaster, Konami Wai Wai World, Rodland, and Ufouria.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's the DS. It even has a meta thing going on in your poll, where the first two times I was looking at your options I completely skipped over it. It is the hidden gem of your hidden gems list. Here is my evidence:

Contact
Bangai-o Spirits
Henry Hatsworth
Feel The Magic
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
Retro Game Challenge
fucking Soul Bubbles
Lock's Quest

DS lovers feel free to add more to my list

PS2 I see you though with Mister Mosquito and Mad Maestro!

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say ps2. There were just so many games it was impossible to keep up. I'm sure I missed a ton of great games. And before you knew it the HD era was here so probably lots of gems that are in that pile that haven't been widely discovered.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
It's hard to say because they are hidden. I think the best candidates are (in order of release): Saturn, PS1, PS2, DS and Wii. I'd probably say DS because not only does it have a lot of hidden gems, they are also often pretty creative.