• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the big three has the best first party?

• Sony

Votes: 1,512 35.4%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 2,675 62.7%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 81 1.9%

• Total voters

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Sony for me, I love my Xbox One Xand I've been with the Xbox Brand since day one but it's dead last in this choice, simply because they seem to build a games hype, doesn't review well and then abandon it, hell they've had a few games that were well received by everyone then didn't push for any more......Alan Wake (I know its made by remedy, but as a console exclusive it was awesome and MS could have another hit if they pushed for a sequel).

Nintendo I grew up with and the SNES is my fave console of all time, but they just don't do anythi g for me anymore, I've never liked Kirby, Animal Crossing doesn't interest me, Splatoon is over hyped, ARMS is rubbish, Mario Odyssey did nothing new besides the Hat gimmick, it was just a collectathon that looked like every 3D Mario game before it with nicer graphics, Zelda BotW was too barren for me and the story was barely their to keep me intrigued long enough. My Switch hasn't been turned on in ages, at this point I'm waiting to see what Metroid, Pokemon and Smash are going to be like.

Sony however have kept me going for years now, Uncharted Series, Last Of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit, God Of War, Horizon, Infamous, Killzone, and a few more I'm forgetting, and then there's the upcoming games too, Ghosts of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Last Of Us 2 and more.

Sony for me by far.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I'm pretty split. Both Nintendo and Sony have a ton of games I love. If we're talking purely first party I think I'd have to give the edge to Nintendo by a hair, but when it comes to exclusives I'm going to say solidly Sony.

Microsoft has exactly two exclusives I care about, Viva Pinata and Sunset Overdrive.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
"Carry" doesn't equate to winning or, in this case, selling the most. You could carry your mate who fell over in a race to the finish line. You both finish, you both came last but you got there and you live to race another day.

Thats essentially what Nintendo did with their first party games for the 64, GC and WiiU.

I know its very difficult, but imagine Sony or Microsoft in Nintendo's situation those generations. How do you think they would fare?

Of course, there is also the issue here that Nintendo tend to alienate themselves from the rest of the market which does make it difficult for 3rd parties to support their consoles but that only makes their first party a lot more impressive since they're kinda surviving on their own out there..
Their 1p games carry company not console. They make enougj profit so they survive another day if they have dud like wiiu on their hands. They re smaller than ms or sony so they have smaller expenses.

Vita sold what 10,15M with no games and no sony exclusives. And yes ps5 can sell 20M based on their 1p games alone. This notion should stop. And N has had always some sort of third party support, its not like 1p games and nothing else. Its not black and white.

I agree that N has strongest ips which alow them to be around. But for ms and sony gaming s not only or biggest business portion. And for that i kinda despise them. Billions of cash flow and profit , they can and should invest more in new ips honestly. I ll always respect N for keeping alive their ips and reinventing them from time to time.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Definitely Sony.

Sony makes a broad, appealing, and interesting library of games that are worth my time and money.

Nintendo is good too, but they don't have a diverse portfolio of games that I'm interested in and it seems that they're games are more aimed at kids. You won't ever see a God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, or even Detroit on a Nintendo platform and this just goes to show the dramatic and drastic differences between the kinds of games these two companies pump out.

Microsoft? Hah, it's sad how the tides have changed. The OG XBOX was my first console ever, and I used to have loyalty with the brand but god damn Microsoft, you have lost your fire. There is absolutely no reason for me to own a XBOX anymore (aside from OG consoles).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
You won't ever see a God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, or even Detroit on a Nintendo platform and this just goes to show the dramatic and drastic differences between the kinds of games these two companies pump out.
That's like saying you won't ever see a Bayonetta, Zelda, or Xenoblade on Sony hardware.
That's a stupid comparison, there's games for every audience on each platform.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
I gotta go with Nintendo, it just has more franchises that interest me than the other two. Sony has a lot of good stuff too though.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
People are really mixing first party and exclusives.

Detroit, Until Dawn and Bloodborne are exclusives, not first party

Like how nintendo funded bayonetta, but she is still owned by sega
Goddamn...how many times must i remind ppl that bloodborne & until dawn are first party?

If those 2 games are not 1st party, then smash bros & mario tennis are not 1st party as well.

Check out who owned the ip of until dawn, bloodborne and detroit and then let me know whos mixed up here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Their 1p games carry company not console. They make enougj profit so they survive another day if they have dud like wiiu on their hands. They re smaller than ms or sony so they have smaller expenses.

Vita sold what 10,15M with no games and no sony exclusives. And yes ps5 can sell 20M based on their 1p games alone. This notion should stop. And N has had always some sort of third party support, its not like 1p games and nothing else. Its not black and white.
Nonsense. Wii was driven almost entirely by 1st party software. 3rd parties released stuff for it sure, and they sold a lot of games on it too but their games weren't the motivating factor in driving most userbase. Games like Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and NSMBWii were. Even 3rd party games that did contribute like Guitar Hero III or Just Dance didn't do anywhere near as much as those.

Nintendo software has always been the primary driver for their platforms, even those with competitively good 3rd party support (NES, SNES, GB, GBA, DS). The same can't really be said for PlayStation, major 3rd party support is significantly more important than 1st party there.

Matthaeus

Feb 24, 2018
Sony has been at the top of their game the past couple years but I think Nintendo still has the edge. Whether that remains the case depends entirely on what Nintendo has to announce during E3, Sony has a lot of promising exclusives lined up to close out 2018 with more on the horizon in 2019 but Nintendo has been tight-lipped about their own future releases.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
People are really mixing first party and exclusives.

Detroit, Until Dawn and Bloodborne are exclusives, not first party

Like how nintendo funded bayonetta, but she is still owned by sega
People indeed do this, but in this case, I'm pretty sure these are all owned by Sony. The copyright info on the PSN store seems to indicate that Sony is the sole owner of all three:
©2014 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Bloodborne is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.
©2015 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Until Dawn is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.
Detroit: Become Human ™ © 2018 Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC. Published by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. 'Detroit: Become Human' is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.
The only one that's a little ambiguous is Detroit, but it still only mentions QD as the developer, not owner.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That's like saying you won't ever see a Bayonetta, Zelda, or Xenoblade on Sony hardware.
That's a stupid comparison, there's games for every audience on each platform.
Meh, none of those games you listed have the scope and broad appeal as the one's that Sony's been pumping out (aside from Zelda). There's a reason why Sony's first party games like God Of War are breaking records, because they generally interest more people than Nintendo's games, for good reasons.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
Meh, none of those games you listed have the scope and broad appeal as the one's that Sony's been pumping out (aside from Zelda). There's a reason why Sony's first party games like God Of War are breaking records, because they generally interest more people than Nintendo's games, for good reasons.

Is this satire?

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I totally understand that some people prefer Sony games, but I also see many of these people saying that they don't care about any Nintendo game aside from 1 or 2 series or that their games are kinda samey, and I don't understand that. Only counting the series they have been using in the most recent years we have: Zelda (action adventure) that changed a lot with BOTW, Pokémon (JRPG about collecting monsters+spin offs), Pikmin (RTS), Fire Emblem (SRPG), Splatoon (Shooter, but a very different type), Arms (fighting), Smash (fighting), Xenoblade (JRPG), Mario (Platformer+spin offs that include racing, rpg, level maker, puzzle, etc), Fatal Frame (horror), Metroid (action platformer/FPA), Bayonetta (hack & slash), WarioWare (microgames), Animal Crossing (life simulator), Tomodachi Life (life simulator, different to Animal Crossing), and many others. I Admit that they have been doing too many 2D platforms (DKC, Kirby, Yoshi, Chibi Robo Zip Slash, Hey Pikmin) but even those are completely different to each other, I would say that's comparable to the Sony's interactive movies (Beyond, Until Down, Detroid). Bewtween all of this saying that all are the same or that you just care about 1 or 2 is ridiculous to me.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Those were just some examples to show you that the variety is just than "for kids". Labo is made for kids for example, but Zelda isn't.
Feel free to check all the Nintendo games that outsold the three that you've quoted for example. An "appeal to everyone" game will also break records and interest more people than those games, "for good reasons".
Doesn't mean one is better than the other, but saying X platform won't get a specific kind of game (be it in terms of scope or setting) is still ridiculous.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
Sony because their first party studios drop absolute gems this generation.

Nintendo has the consistency of Vanillaware with their flagship releases.

If they didn't make consoles, they wouldn't even be a Big 3.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Lol, diversity is good for the industry, Sony has two winners this gen (and Uncharted), Nintendo on Switch has two as well if you count Breath of the Wild.

Though maybe Detroid is a third?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony because their first party studios drop absolute gems this generation.

Nintendo has the consistency of Vanillaware with their flagship releases.

If they didn't make consoles, they wouldn't even be a Big 3.
If Sony didn't make consoles, they wouldn't make games at all. Well, not entirely true, Aniplex would still do mobile gatcha.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me: Sony at the best and their franchises hold the most appeal, but many of their top Games lack a crucial factor for me: fun

Played uncharted 4 again the other day And it's simply torturous.

Nintendo is a miles ahead of anybody in crafting fun games. I play games to have fun. I "play" Sony games for interactive experiences that can barely be called games.

I got Detroit last night and I got Bored playing, so I just let my girlfriend play and I'm just watching. Yup, damn pretty and interesting to watch. But certainly isn't what I would call fun

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Never felt sony or microsoft had anything i had a interest in, well sony had wipeout but that's about it really. They were pretty much third party devices.
Nintendo still makes a few games i'm interested it so they would automatically win this by default.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say Nintendo.

No other company even comes close. Sure Sony has a lot of good 1st party games, but without 3rd party games Sony couldn't carry a system like Nintendo can.

Microsoft has some good stuff, but they don't have a lot of it and don't put out a lot of big games.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
What does that have to do with what I said?

I didn't say Nintendo wouldn't make games if they didn't make consoles, they wouldn't be considered a Big 3 for sure.
Pretty sure they're considered that based on the fact that they make consoles, not that they're the best developers. So this would apply to all 3 of them. Were you trying to imply something else specific to Nintendo?

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I play waaaay more thirs party games than first party, but if I had to pick it would be Nintendo, easily. Their level design, charm, and attention to detail is just unmatched.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Nintendo.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 'cinematic' Sony games, like Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, etc. Not really my cup of tea. That said, Bloodborne (although not developed by Sony) may be my favorite game of this generation. I also really liked inFamous last gen, though Second Son was a bit disappointing.

For Nintendo, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Smash Bros are all some of my favorite franchises. Like Sony, I don't enjoy everything Nintendo puts out, but I enjoy more from them.

I don't really care for anything from Microsoft since Bungie left Halo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what. You realize Nintendo first party games sell more on average and set more records than Sony games, right? You realize that BotW and SMO have sold 20 million copies between just the two of them, right?

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony. I don't care for most of their games, but they can really hit it out of the park. KZ2, Warhawk, DeS/BB, Uncharted 2 all come to mind.

Nintendo doesn't do it for me. There are only so many times I can race Mario around a track before it gets boring. And I feel like their games are mainly just party games. They're like the video game equivalent of board games. Something you can bring during a gathering but otherwise collects dust.

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Doesn't mean one is better than the other, but saying X platform won't get a specific kind of game (be it in terms of scope or setting) is still ridiculous.
Call me when Nintendo develops a game as mature, raw, and has the same scope or setting as Bloodborne, God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit, The Last Of Us, and the list goes on...

Lol, diversity is good for the industry, Sony has two winners this gen (and Uncharted), Nintendo on Switch has two as well if you count Breath of the Wild.

Though maybe Detroid is a third?

Indeed, diversity is good for the industry and Sony is passing with flying colours.

This is why I like Sony first party games more than any other company, because they have different, distinctive, and diverse games.

Lol what. You realize Nintendo first party games sell more on average and set more records than Sony games, right? You realize that BotW and SMO have sold 20 million copies between just the two of them, right?
Zelda and Mario are both overly milked franchises that have a rabid fanbase, they will sell no matter what. I'm sure the new Zelda and Mario are great games, but why doesn't Nintendo make something more "raw"? Sony isn't immune for milking their franchises, but at least they're always trying new things out. Nintendo and certainly Microsoft aren't.

Nintendo always play it safe. They don't make games outside their comfort zone. It's always the rated E for everyone mindset. Gotta keep them kids in mind.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me when Nintendo develops a game as mature, raw, and has the same scope or setting as Bloodborne, God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit, The Last Of Us, and the list goes on...

Indeed, diversity is good for the industry and Sony is passing with flying colours.

This is why I like Sony first party games more than any other company, because they have different, distinctive, and diverse games.

Zelda and Mario are both overly milked franchises that have a rabid fanbase, they will sell no matter what. I'm sure the new Zelda and Mario are great games, but why doesn't Nintendo make something more "raw"? Sony isn't immune for milking their franchises, but at least they're always trying new things out. Nintendo and certainly Microsoft aren't.

Nintendo always play it safe. They don't make games outside their comfort zone. It's always the rated E for everyone mindset. Gotta keep them kids in mind.
Oh, you are one of those. Okay.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you can compare Nintendo games to Sony games. Sony isn't targeting gamer of all ages like Nintendo. I'd compare Nintendo games to Minecarft, Overwatch and Fortnite etc. Those games are not narrative driven.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
I voted Sony but I fully understand why Nintendo is leading. MS was always going to be seriously lagging. I may have placed them higher a few years back but they have really just stagnated now.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

I mean diversity in the industry, you may not like Nintendo 'style' games but they are good at what they do and the artstyle they use.

As for those games, i can agree Sony has been getting much better, but GoW only got 'mature' this game, the other is From.
Detroid, Uncharted etc put cinematic storytelling over gameplay .they are complete opposite to what Nintendo does.

Again i can see why they are more popular with core gamers and why you prefer them but diversity is important in the game industry i wouldn't change Nintendo to be more like Sony (or..Microsoft :S)

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Sony got the bests first party that appeal to me. They just have a diverse line up of games I can choose from, meanwhile Microsoft hasn't brought out anything this gen except for forza horizon series and Nintendo games just don't appeal to me. I could see why people like Nintendo games cause their all about gameplay etc but most of their games look blend to me, I mostly play action adventure story driven games which is Sony ball park that's why I chose them.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This isn't the unpopular opinion thread my friend.
3D Mario games alone are all so different from another gameplaywise I don't even know where to begin, but it's pretty clear you have no clue what you're talking about.
Zelda as well just shook up it's entire tried and tested formula with it's latest entry and took huge risks with the cel shaded artstyle back with Wind Waker as well. That's the opposite of milking.

Splatoon is a new IP that is "rawer" and fresher than anything from any other publisher gameplay mechanics wise. Nobody else would make a game like that.
You conflating age rating with risk is hilarious.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nintendo by a wide margin.

Sony has had gems this gen, namely Until Dawn & GoW, but most of their other big titles fall flat for me.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Subjectively speaking everybody is right with their opinion.

"I prefer [Insert any of the 3]" is never a wrong opinion.

but if we tried to put some sort of objectivity to reach a conclusion, like for example metacritic scores or sheer amount of good games, Sony would ever only stand a chance against nintendo if we only considered the last 5 or so years and excluded handhelds, which is just silly...

which means, you really have to try very hard and put a ton of restrictions to have a legit head-to-head "battle" with Sony against Nintendo.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo and I don't think the other two come even remotely close. Nintendo is a goddamned beast. What other manufacturer (for better or worse) can support a console solely on its 1st party output?

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Sony makes some great first party games, and it is the main reason I prefer PS to XBox. But the Switch has reinvigorated my love for gaming when I was ready to give it up - forgot how fun Nintendo games were

So Nintendo, with Sony a distant second, and MS not even on the playing field. Love Ori, but the rest of their lineup is not my thing