• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will have the biggest impact in 2020

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 437 38.3%
  • Final Fantasy 7RE

Votes: 74 6.5%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 294 25.8%
  • Halo Infinity

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • Zelda : Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 145 12.7%
  • Animal Crossing : New Horizons

Votes: 44 3.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 85 7.5%

• Total voters

plow

Oct 28, 2017
So in 2020 3 of the biggest upcoming titles will release with:

- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Cyberpunk 2077
- The Last of Us Part II

This will probably be the most stacked year ever with Halo Infinite also probably launching and GOT rumored to be launching in 2020 too.

My question is. Which one of these, will have the biggest impact on the Industry? And im not only talking Sales or Reviews, i'm also talking about setting standards for future games.

1. I'll guess that Naughty Dog will se a new High in the Animation and Storytelling department if the first game was any indicator for that.
  2. Cyberpunk on the other hand might set new Standards for Questmaking and character customization in future games.
  3. SE is firing on all cilynders witht he FF7 Remake showing and it stole the show of every other game at E3 this year. The particle effects and graphics in general might be best we can on a base PS4.

So to you guys, which game will be the best received? Which one will sell better? And what game will set new Standard for game development in the future?

Note: The second Question might be easy to answer since CP is a multiplat title, so perhaps restrict it to PS4?

edit: Added a poll but fucked up on Halo and can't change it. ( Disney did this)

Is there a way to put (poll) in the title?

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The Last of Us Part II will be setting a new bar for character animation, from what we've seen. My money is on that one.

With that being s aid, we don't even know which titles will be launching on the new consoles, so that new bar set by TLOUP2 migth not last very long.

But, honestly, my dark horse pick for most impact on the industry? Breath of the Wild 2.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Nothing to me indicates that FFVIIR will have some massive impact in the industry. TLOU2 will be an amazing game, but it'll be the typical Naughty Dog excellent storytelling, animation, polish, etc . . . Easily a 9-10/10 game, but not industry changing. I guess it's Cyberpunk by default then? I think the games that are industry changing are games you don't even consider when they're announced . . . Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, etc . . .

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am most excited for FFVIIR and I am sure it will review/sell well, but not sure if it will have any sort of impact in the industry, especially compared to the other two.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't see any of those having an impact on the industry (I'm not saying anything about their quality).

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda feels like Cyberpunk might dissapoint. They are really trying to squeeze the Witcher 3 mission system into this futuristic city and it could turn out weird. Also, CD Projekt is notioriously bad at creating combat systems, and they are more important than even since it's a shooter. Bullet sponges enemies and bosses with glowing weak points? We already saw all of that in the trailers. But we'll see.

Also, industry impact? Like Modern Warfare 1? None of these will do anything like that.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to me indicates that FFVIIR will have some massive impact in the industry. TLOU2 will be an amazing game, but it'll be the typical Naughty Dog excellent storytelling, animation, polish, etc . . . Easily a 9-10/10 game, but not industry changing. I guess it's Cyberpunk by default then? I think the games that are industry changing are games you don't even consider when they're announced . . . Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, etc . . .
This was my thought as well. I think people get caught up in trying to define games they love as the most impactful. I wouldn't say that's always the case(especially when the 3 games presented don't seem to be like they'll have any impact in changing the industry)

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Why are those The Big Three?

Anyway, no impact. Games that actually have an honest to goodness industry impact as like...once every 2 years, and they're very rarely "normal games done really well".

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts of Tsushima, nothing on that list will come close to how good it will be.

It's going to blow everyone away, people think TLoU2 is impressive, just wait until Ghosts resurfaces.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk could set a new toxicity standard when reality meets hype delusion with the game being merely great.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
None ? They all do what we had before just better and at a higher quality level.
There isnt much to follow since 99% of devs/pubs dont have the budget for these kind of projects.

If at all it will probably some surprise hit - or maybe something crazy for xCloud/Stadia.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077 will be interesting to see. Wonder if they can somewhat meet expectations.

Most interested in how Halo Infinite will launch with the new console. It will be on Steam, on Game Pass, xCloud etc. If it doesn't have 20 million players in the first couple of months I'd say it's a disappointment. At that point MS should have the critical mass to support their sub service.

Gears 5 was only a small taste in the reach of Game Pass in my opinion. Their userbase on PC and in streaming still has to grow.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Cyberpunk 2077 Questmaking probably but not character customization because Desert Black Online already is way ahead of that still from what we can tell.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also got dynamic events and arguably questmaking in the bag if you ask me.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake with all the flashy particles making a huge impact? I doubt it lol.

Naughty Dog could do it when it comes animation work sure and hopefully the emotional sweetspot.

I am extremely hyped for all these games, but the biggest impact of the industry seems way too hyperbole.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
TLOU2 for animations, graphics and voice acting and performance (i can already smell Baker's and Johnson's awards).

CP2077 for setting and design approach to RPGs (customization, mission variety and so on).

FFVIIR little impact outside of JRPGs.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why those games? It'll be another Fortnite or Minecraft or some such that isn't an enthusiasts darling that will be a genuine cultural phenomena as per usual.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Judging by that list you'd bet TLoU2 due to it being an iterative improvement over the first game by an incredibly talented and well resourced team.

However since all three games are targeting current gen I'll go with neither.

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
TLOU2 will most likely inspire more developers in implementing motion matching in their games, so that

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I really think TLoU will set the bar in drama of video games really high, which it will catch a lot of people attention.

Cyberpunk going to be really fun open world , but its story probably meh at best so it won't be unique as TLoU part2.

FF7 is just a remade no matter how good it is, it still a remade ,but maybe nostalgic aspect of it will overwhelm older generations.

TLoU part2 imo will be the winner.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any of those is gonna have any major impact on future games. These games are made with an insane budget, lots of time and a large dev-team. Most other devs can't hope to compete in that regard. The games themselves don't exactly look like they're breaking new ground either, they look more evolutionary than revolutionary. That's not me knocking those games, they all look very impressive, but I don't see see how they would influence anything.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting that all three would raise the bar from their past games but i still think that they are mostly going to be iterative upgrades. I'm more intrigued about how Death Stranding can impact the industry and want to know more about Ghost of Tsushima.

Clarification
OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
To clarify.

I haven't said that these games will have the biggest impact on the industry. These are just the most anticipated games.

I asked which one of them will have the biggest impact, if at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest impact means reaching PUBG and Fortnite level of popularity, sales and success?

That's not gonna happen.

TLOU 2 will improve on TLOU, Cyberpunk 2077 will hopefully be the first real AAA RPG since Fallout New Vegas and FF7R might be good enough, but a big impact on the industry? Nah

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i only watched the 2019 e3 demo of cyberpunk but it looked very basic to me. what am i missing?

Aug 26, 2018
So in 2020 3 of the biggest upcoming titles will release with:

- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Cyberpunk 2077
- The Last of Us Part II

This will probably be the most stacked year ever with Halo Infinite also probably launching and GOT rumored to be launching in 2020 too.

My question is. Which one of these, will have the biggest impact on the Industry? And im not only talking Sales or Reviews, i'm also talking about setting standards for future games.

1. I'll guess that Naughty Dog will se a new High in the Animation and Storytelling department if the first game was any indicator for that.
  2. Cyberpunk on the other hand might set new Standards for Questmaking and character customization in future games.
  3. SE is firing on all cilynders witht he FF7 Remake showing and it stole the show of every other game at E3 this year. The particle effects and graphics in general might be best we can on a base PS4.

So to you guys, which game will be the best received? Which one will sell better? And what game will set new Standard for game development in the future?

Note: The second Question might be easy to answer since CP is a multiplat title, so perhaps restrict it to PS4?

To be honest, none of these titles will set any kind of new benchmarks that will alter the industry simply because they already have a winning formula and will only enhance them, there will be some interesting benchmarks they set as you mentioned in terms of graphics or storytelling but nothing path breaking.

PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, BoTW on the other hand really changed the industry in the sense that PUBG started the BR Craze which continues to this day, Rainbow Six showed developers that constant updates can turn around the game in its lifecycle and BoTW by releasing in February started the Q1 is the new Q4 trend.

Next gen, I anticipate games like Minecraft Earth or something in VR which will become the Killer App and open up the platform as we know it. I personally think Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will redefine how good open world games can look.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Isn't last of us December?

Mario Odyssey 2 will inspire the industry to keep being afraid to release games from genres that sells millions at Nintendo hand

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think TLOU2 will be a glimpse of next gen cinematic style turned up to 11 but who knows beyond that.

Cyberpunk, possible it raises the bar for an RPG or it struggles to straddle past and future.

Same for Halo, I hope Infinite is something fantastic but I worry it's going to be tame straddling two generations and takes a Destiny Halo route which might be cool but not completely awe inspiring.

I don't think we will be seeing anything that isn't already around the industry this gen to some degree, I think next gen will open some trailblazing ideas or allow them to flourish more than they have before instead of chosing a few things over other things.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Biggest impact means reaching PUBG and Fortnite level of popularity, sales and success?

That's not gonna happen.

No, not at all. More like setting standards in a genre or in visuals. like God of War somewhat inspiring parts of Gears of War etc.
I'm not talking about a revolution like Fortnite, Pubg or LOL.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FF7 will have mixed reviews and I doubt the expected Remake could redefine anything substantial to move the industry. Not badmouthing this game.

TloU2 and CP2077 are prime contenders obviously.
Personally I would say CP2077 will make majority of the headlines.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2, CP2077 and Elden Ring. The influence of Dark Souls is everywhere you look in the industry. I expect Elden Ring to go further than DS and for other devs to once again try to replicate its magic.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This was my thought as well. I think people get caught up in trying to define games they love as the most impactful. I wouldn't say that's always the case(especially when the 3 games presented don't seem to be like they'll have any impact in changing the industry)

Yeah, like I love 3D Super Mario games. Most of them could be considered potential GOTG material. However to call any of them since 64 as industry changing would be silly.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think TLOU2 or FFVIIR are going to influence anything. They are typically flashy cinematic games with gameplay that we've seen before. Cyberpunk might have a shot at actually shaking up some of the gameplay trends in the industry but I'm skeptical that they can deliver what they are promising. What we've seen so far looks more or less like Deus Ex.

I'd imagine it will be a title from Blizzard, Epic or Nintendo that actually leads us somewhere new, not one of these Hollywood experiences.