• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2019
Many of the greatest indie games have gotten sequels over the years (Guacamelee, Ori, Hotline Miami, Darkest Dungeon, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, etc.). However, there are just as many one-and-done indies that may never get a sequel, which is a shame.

For me, Fez 2 being cancelled was a tough one. I also would have loved a Castle Crashers sequel since I have so many fond memories playing that with my friends. Hyper Light Drifter 2 would also be pretty interesting to see!

Which indies do you all wish had gotten a sequel?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dust an Elysian Tale I would like a sequel to.

Of course, it is possible it may still get a sequel.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Legacy would have been great with a bigger, more varied sequel. Played the first one to death (finished it 7-8 times I think), but after a while you've just seen every room and every power so it becomes a game of memory.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
😭

Can Child of Light be considered "indie lite"?
2309987-childoflight.jpg

True shame that game was a one-off thing.

Also, after every SupergiantGames i'm like "no, please do a sequel! i want more of THIS game" and then they make something different, but really really cool instead.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
😭

Can Child of Light be considered "indie lite"?
2309987-childoflight.jpg

True shame that game was a one-off thing.

Also, after every SupergiantGames i'm like "no, please do a sequel! i want more of THIS game" and then they make something different, but really really cool instead.

Yep, I would definitely consider Child of Light as indie despite coming from Ubi!

Also I'm in the exact same boat re: Supergiant haha. Every world they create is brimming with so many gorgeous visuals and interesting characters and unique ideas that you just want to see more of all those worlds. But, I also realize that I wouldn't love them as much as I do if they were just the "Bastion factory" or whatever.

I also always get hyped to see what crazy new IP they'll create next. Aesthetically speaking, I still think they have yet to top Transistor though, that game is very special. Jen Zee is an artistic genius

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rogue Legacy was great fun. I'd love another one.

Also where's Minecraft 2(it was indie...)and Terraria 2?

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aquaria

A beautiful adventure game with great atmosphere and music, some really interesting gameplay mechanics and a strong story - released way before the real glut of indie Metroidvanias, but still holds its own today in spite of feeling a little aged. Would love to see a sequel one day, but unfortunately I don't think it's on the cards.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to preface this post by saying that, as a fan of a helluva lot of indies, I really appreciate how very few get sequels. I like being left wanting more, rather than being sick and over-saturated with my favs.

Zineth from Arcade Kids (the folks who made the Sonic Dreams Collection). It was kinda like Jet Set Radio, but with Twitter integration and a moebius art style. Damn, I love Arcane Kids.

Dustforce

Skullgirls

Castle Crashers 2

Flywrench

Facade

Punch Quest

FTL

Speedrunners was such a fun online game! agh. I wish it was more active. I really hope crossplatform multiplayer prolongs a lot of online indie's lifespans next gen.

I was gonna say Magicka... but apparently Magicka 2 exists. So that's cool!

Facade. A game I want a sequel to so badly I'm putting it down twice. I remember there was a game that came out a few years ago with a similar main mechanic--you'd converse with your spaceship's AI instead of trying to keep a breaking relationship intact.

Snakepass you bastards

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

that's all I got off the top of my head :~)

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter 2 would also be pretty interesting to see!

Heart Machine is working on a new game. It seems like quite the expansion on Hyper Light Drifter. It's no longer pixel art, but it still keeps an aesthetic that is reminiscent of HLD to me.

I'm kinda of glad indie devs are beholden to the sequel mill and can branch off in wild new directions.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a sequel to Banished. As a survival city builder I adore this game. It's literally the Dark Souls of city builders.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Want to see a Shovel Knight sequel. We got lots of DLC and a spinoff is coming, but it's time for a proper sequel.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
My standard answer to this question is and will forever be Fez.

I would also love to have seen Alexander Bruce produce a follow-up to Antichamber.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
capsule_616x353.jpg

The Game Bakers went with making Haven instead of Furi 2, but I hope Furi 2 still becomes a thing at some point.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Massive Chalice. :( I feel like if Double Fine were given better resources, planning, and time, Massive Chalice 2 could've been such an awesome game if expanded upon the Legacy/Kingdom Building aspects.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Really liked Rochard but the studio closed after finishing the first game leaving it with a cliffhanger ending.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FTL

Bigger, better, ditch the rogue like aspect.
Gimme a universe where I can fly around and fullfil contracts, maybe trade a bit.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Castle Crashers and Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale are the two that stand out for me, I feel like there was something only on the 360 as well but I really can't remember what it was.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
To be honest, I kinda wish more was done with Mighty no. 9.

Yes, I know the game itself, and the development was a trainwreck, but there was still a lot of potential in what was created, and if put in the hands of competent people, had the potential to surpass even Megaman. In fact, Mighty Gunbolt Burst is exactly that. I initially downloaded it after finishing Mega Man 11, and still wanting to play some more Megalikes, and I ended up enjoying it more than 11.

I also still like the character concepts, soundtrack, and the universe the game attempted to build as well. Thinking back to the Mega Man franchise, the original game wasn't that good either, but the second was such a massive improvement, that it ended up establishing the popularity of the franchise, and more or less set the bar for how Megaman games are measured up. Its kinda a shame that the Mighty series will probably never get that second chance.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm guessing Jonathan Blow is never going to make a sequel to any of his games.

Apparently his next project is a long term thing.

Blow's next project, tentatively titled Game 3, will be broken into different installments and elaborations on the same game over the course of 20 years, making it bigger and bigger and more complex. They will be individual playable games, each related thematically and deepening in investigation of subject matter for each chapter. Blow stated that the game would not be puzzle related, that it's a very exciting project and that if "he's gonna work on it that long, he wants it to be in the new language because he wants to enjoy working on it. This game is sort of building up the engine, and then, he'll take that new engine and use it on that 20-year game."

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I loved Defender's Quest and am friends with the developer, but it's been 6-7 years since the sequel was announced. I know it's still being worked on since he posts regular updates, but I wish it had come out by now.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm guessing Jonathan Blow is never going to make a sequel to any of his games.

Apparently his next project is a long term thing.

Well, he gave us The Witness instead of Braid 2... and i am very very pleased for that! If his following works continues to be an evolution of the previous ones i hope we never get any sequel by him!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm glad that petulant man-child Phil Fish left the industry. Let the praise of his game go right to his head. Fuck him.

Cave Story and Recettear for me. Especially the latter :(

Problem with Recettear is it was made by a dojin circle. Dojin circles are different from indie studios in that that they're usually a hobbyist thing. To get more games from Easy Game Station would involve them going full time which is probably a tough sell for them. Would be amazing though.

I always felt like Bastion could have done with a sequel. Super Giant Games are a real creative bunch but I feel like they never get to fully explore the mechanic in their games to the degree they could with a sequel.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I know Solar Ash Kingdom is coming, but I need Hyper Light Drifter 2 in my life. The pixel art was just too good for it to be a one off.

Fez II would be nice. But I'm sure Phil Fish is never coming back.