Better Villain Group

• Akatsuki

Votes: 353 84.7%
  • Espada

Votes: 64 15.3%

• Total voters

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to admit, despite loving the York New arc and that I'd unsurprisingly consider HunterXHunter a stronger manga/anime...
I find it hard to give much of a damn about a good chunk of the phantom troupe and would take the akatsuki over them in an instant, half of the troupe truly feel like they're just there
I can imagine people out there being bigger fans of the less popular espada, or even their arrancar subordinates before caping for mummified boxing man, mr gun body or Mop top

Though granted, the sheer diversity in skills (some being completely non combat related) and visual design may be part of their appeal to some.
I guess really I feel like there's a pretty big gulf between the most important members and the less important ones

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Choosing between shit with used syringes in it and shit with razor blades in it is tough.

I guess Akatsuki, since it had Deidara, Hidan and pre-Madara Tobi, while the Espada just had Aaroniero. The Akatsuki also stayed relevant for longer, played bigger roles, and tied in somewhat more with the stories of certain chars, whereas the Espada were basically glorified goons that were completely irrelevant after Fake Karakura.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't even think they're equivalent. The Akatsuki are important for a much more significant chunk of the story than the Espada are in Bleach.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Zommari popped his Resurrección and it turned out be a floating pumpkin of eyeballs, he then swiftly jobbed to Byakuya

Remember when spoon-spada Noitra was taken out because Kenpachi decided to swing his sword with two hands?

Remember when Yammy proclaimed "who said the espada went from 1-10?" as he revealed himself to actually be Espada 0 in an attempt to upgrade him from jobber status so late into the arc, and was then defeated off panel anyway?

Classic, Bleach was a riot if nothing else.

edit: I've gotta give the espada props for their battle themes though

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Yammy revealing himself to be the 0 Espada, and then jobbing offscreen while being made fun of is my favorite twist in all of shonen

Also Kisame is my favorite Naruto villain, which is funny because Yammy and Kisame have similar roles in the story. And they both have unexpectedly poignant death scenes.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Espada for the most part were one time villains. The Akatsuki members were at least encountered more than once and had more overall importance in Naruto.

Axumar

May 13, 2020
I hate that the Akatsuki because the end game of Naruto just plain sucked. The ones that stuck around near the end had pretty bad bullshit stories. That said, their introduction and early fights were really cool.

Bleach was cool early on but started to suck for me before this villain group had anything major to do. So I can't really vote for them.

I like the Phantom Troupe but like much of HxH, they feel like half formed ideas.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The espada had more interesting powers, battles and interpersonal dynamics. I also liked how it was outright stated that their purpose was to buy time in the one big standoff that happened in fake karakura, so the story never tricked you into thinking these guys had some grander design that was later forgotten, all arrancar were byproducts of the real objective and the espada were the strongest of them but still disposable byproducts.

Aizen was the real focus from the start, and it didn't bother me when the Espada started dropping, because you knew to expect that.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Zommari popped his Resurrección and it turned out be a floating pumpkin of eyeballs, he then swiftly jobbed to Byakuya

Remember when spoon-spada Noitra was taken out because Kenpachi decided to swing his sword with two hands?

Remember when Yammy proclaimed "who said the espada went from 1-10?" as he revealed himself to actually be Espada 0 in an attempt to upgrade him from jobber status so late into the arc, and was then defeated off panel anyway?

Classic, Bleach was a riot if nothing else.

edit: I've gotta give the espada props for their battle themes though

I remember Szayel's fight dragging on for what felt like months in the manga because it was all leading to impregnation and then Mayuri science hax.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
one-piece-are-the-marine-admirals-yonko-level-main.webp

The Marine Admirals from OnePiece are not in this because it'd be a cake walk.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's the Akatsuki and it's not even close.

That red cloud cloak is STILL fucking iconic 20 years later.

May 10, 2018
Espada were basically wasted potential. Like someone posted, they didn't have any agency.

If they were their own entity apart from Aizen, I think they could have worked a lot better.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
True only a couple of them are cool, Chrollo was only neat when he was fighting somebody.

Anyway it's the akatsuki, grimmjow is alright though. The old man hollows form with the skull and crown looked badass and coyote stark has a cool name. Other than them they're a bunch of lackeys.

Oct 26, 2017
Grimmjow and Ulquiorra nearly give this to the Espada by themselves, but Akatsuki win out. They just have too many good, fleshed out members. Even getting as much time as Grimmjow did, they needed to keep him around and explore the idea of him becoming King.

Whenever I dunk on MHA villains, I'm always thinking how about how much better the Akatsuki are.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Outside of Ulquiorra and Grimmjow... And I guess Granz for stupid reasons. Did any of them really put up a fight? They just felt like a speed bump on the way to Aizen, Gin & Tousen.

Akatsuki gave us some great fights and were involved with the lore of the Naruto universe.

Basically comparing Bleach's lowest point with Naruto's highest point for me.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Theres a version of the Espada every arc of Bleach. Tite just be coming up with cool designs with zero character.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Espada were literally put together just as a distraction for the Gotei 13 while Aizen got things going.
I liked a few of them, but they really were fodder characters.

Starrk
Grimmjaww
Ulquiorra

Were the only ones worth anything.

Expanded universe Halibel too, but otherwise all of them were basically filler characters.
Once Aizen had enough he did what they couldnt for chapters and chapters in like 3 panels.

The Akatsuki were awesome.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
Akatsuki's aesthetic was top tier. The cloaks, the crossed-out bands, the mysterious hologram meetings. I'll never forget the months and years of speculating over them when I was younger.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Phantom Troupe > Whatever the One Piece equivalent is > Akatsuki > Espada

I fuck with the Espada because I love Bleach, but the Akatsuki cloak is too iconic. Shit, I even got one tucked in the closet. I think both groups provided good discussion/speculation. I remember everyone trying to figure out who were the top 3 Espada. The shock when Ulquiorra was 4 and Coyote Starrk was 1, lol.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Akatsuki easy. Apart from Kakuzu, every member had a standout look, fight, and power set. Some of them even had great story moments just for themselves (Kisame, Itachi, Pain).

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
I find both pretty unremarkable when it comes to characterization, so I'll just go with the "rule of cool".

And boy, are the Espada so much cooler looking than anything Kishimoto could come up with. As a character designer, I think Kubo is generally fantastic.

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017
I kinda think the One Piece equivalent is more the Seven Warlords than it is the Admirals, maybe just cuz there's more of them and they're established earlier on. Either way they're cooler than the Akatsuki or the Espada. The Espada suck. If it was Akatsuki vs the Captains, that might be closer, but even then Akatsuki are probably better.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think the One Piece equivalent is more the Seven Warlords than it is the Admirals, maybe just cuz there's more of them and they're established earlier on. Either way they're cooler than the Akatsuki or the Espada. The Espada suck. If it was Akatsuki vs the Captains, that might be closer, but even then Akatsuki are probably better.

The Warlords have Buggy, so they win by default

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean who jobbed harder? Espada, that whole arc save the awesome Ulquiorra fight was fucking lame. Even the number one was a loser.

But Akatsuki were a bunch of tools too. Nagato's ridiculous backstory will never not be hilarious

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
from what I've read about bleach, that espada really suffered from kubo's tendency to make more characters when he has writer's block so there's like a bunch more stronger groups

the akatsuki have the benefit of being relevant for a while

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Visually the Espada. Ulquiorra alone is a cooler design than anybody in the Akatsuki. The red cloud cloaks look awful.
Story wise, the akatsuki actually do more and seem to work as a cohesive group.

Overall, they're both different types of garbage and I refuse to give the win to either one.

Oct 28, 2017
fronting-wise Espada's are way cooler-looking than the Akatsuki, i mean, look at them they look lame-o group of kids you see in the backalley writing names in their Death Note

of course im with HStallion if we can insert a C Option

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The Warlords aren't really villains though

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
The Espada were explicitly cannon fodder made by Aizen to fight the Captains. The Akatsuki as a concept was sound. A mercenary group made up of rogue ninja that did secret dirty work for all the villages. Too bad all that amounted to was being usurped by the Uchihas.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Akatsuki easily.

More memorable characters than the Shichibukai, Phantom Troupe, Espadas or the Juppongatana. It's mostly because they're more present in the story and have very distinct personalities and habilities. Shichibukai started losing their appeal as One Piece went on and the rest isn't an equally major threat.

Overally HxH is by far the best story, though

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017
The Warlords aren't really villains though
I mean, they work for the government, which is the same organization that the Admirals work for... And certainly most of them are presented as villains at least when they're first introduced.

Their motivations tend to be more varied than the Akatsuki and especially the Espada, but I think when the idea of them is introduced, I at least kind of assumed the Strawhats were going to have to fight most of them at some point. Many of them served as the big bad of some of the most important arcs, much like the Akatsuki (e.g. Crocodile, Gecko Moria, Doflamingo).

There's also only like 3 Admirals at any given time, and Aokiji and Fujitora aren't really villains either.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, put me down as a vote for the Phantom Troupe.

Both the Akatsuki and the Espada ended up equally disappointing overall, so I don't look at either as above the other.