• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a rework of achievements. It feels so much better to get an achievement on Xbox or a trophy on Playstation.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Play a game while downloading. Uplay has it. Valve should implement that feature.

After all, just improve the GUI and I'm a happy panda.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It has it, devs don't use it.
Think I didn't explain myself well. I suppose I meant that when you play a game, Steam pauses all other downloads. What I meant was play a game you are downloading. Like in Battle.net that, after a certain percentage, the game you are downloading can be played, but it will continue download on the background.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Play a game while downloading. Uplay has it. Valve should implement that feature.

After all, just improve the GUI and I'm a happy panda.
It exists, but there are (almost) no games that are built to make use of the feature. It's not enforced, much like cloud save storage or DRM.

The "pause all other downloads" thing is also optional btw, you can turn it off in the settings. It's purely a performance thing.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That already works. The overlay I don't quite remember (never use it), but controller support works that way, and instead of automatically adding everything it lets you add anything that is registered as installed in the OS (i.e. via GOG standalone installers), it even lets you add multiple games in one go. It probably doesn't poll other multi-game launchers, but if other launchers register the game in the OS list like Steam does, the same principle will work.

What I'd want does not already work. "Automatic" is the key word. Having to manually find and add every single game is a hassle. And on top of that, games from certain launchers don't easily work with the overlay, which is why I'd also want the option to have a "forced" overlay for such games, similar to how something like GloSC renders the overlay over everything to get around incompatibility.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Shame devs don't use it. For big games, it helps me get in while it continues downloading instead of waiting.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if you could have a huge ass list of exclusion filters (including combos ones). I think it tops out at like a dozen or so currently, and that isn't really enough to trim things down.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Big improvements to Big Picture, as the current UI is feeling a little dated. Maybe make it skinnable so people can just have the UI that they fancy.

2) Non-Steam game detection, so when you install a UWP or uPlay, Origin, Epic, GOG or whatever game, it can be added to Steam without any funky workarounds. That way, even if you do purchase the odd game from other stores and use other clients, it keeps Steam as the center of gravity for your library. Right now the Add Non-Steam Game functionality is barebones and, well, it barely works unless the game is a DRM-free .exe file. Anything with any DRM on it, or its own custom launcher, requires a workaround that Valve could easily implement into their client.

3) Shadowplay-like feature. Record a set length of gameplay determined by the user, so that you can save videoclips after they've happened.

4) Multimedia support. For people who use their PC as a HTPC, access to services like Netflix, Plex and so on, even if they're just non-Steam apps put into their own Multimedia category would be super useful. Again, this would keep Steam as the center of gravity for a HTPC.

5) Custom widgets in overlay. So you could add a little widget for iTunes, or Spotify, or Discord or something to the overlay.

6) Pre and post-game macros. So when you boot up and/or exit a Steam game, you can set it up so that some sort of easily-configurable macro is run. It could be launching a companion app, or for single player games maybe a cheat trainer if you're so inclined. Or it could tweak system settings. Maybe another app you keep running in the background conflicts with a certain game, and you could set it up so the app is closed when you start the game and re-opened again when you quit. Make it powerful so it can be used to do almost anything your PC can already do, just automated. And make it so some macros run globally (i.e. every game - maybe some sort of smart-home feature to turn the lights down or something), and some on a per-game basis.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
They should make it easier for devs to do midnight launches. I'm not sure how it is now, but there must be some kind of barrier. We often have to wait until sometime the day of release. Pretty lame when it's already out on the other platforms.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Before anything, i got an easy one. Let me change the hue of the bpm. I know other people want the whole new one but the blue has broken my will.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
1) Big improvements to Big Picture, as the current UI is feeling a little dated. Maybe make it skinnable so people can just have the UI that they fancy.

2) Non-Steam game detection, so when you install a UWP or uPlay, Origin, Epic, GOG or whatever game, it can be added to Steam without any funky workarounds. That way, even if you do purchase the odd game from other stores and use other clients, it keeps Steam as the center of gravity for your library. Right now the Add Non-Steam Game functionality is barebones and, well, it barely works unless the game is a DRM-free .exe file. Anything with any DRM on it, or its own custom launcher, requires a workaround that Valve could easily implement into their client.

3) Shadowplay-like feature. Record a set length of gameplay determined by the user, so that you can save videoclips after they've happened.

4) Multimedia support. For people who use their PC as a HTPC, access to services like Netflix, Plex and so on, even if they're just non-Steam apps put into their own Multimedia category would be super useful. Again, this would keep Steam as the center of gravity for a HTPC.

5) Custom widgets in overlay. So you could add a little widget for iTunes, or Spotify, or Discord or something to the overlay.

6) Pre and post-game macros. So when you boot up and/or exit a Steam game, you can set it up so that some sort of easily-configurable macro is run. It could be launching a companion app, or for single player games maybe a cheat trainer if you're so inclined. Or it could tweak system settings. Maybe another app you keep running in the background conflicts with a certain game, and you could set it up so the app is closed when you start the game and re-opened again when you quit. Make it powerful so it can be used to do almost anything your PC can already do, just automated. And make it so some macros run globally (i.e. every game - maybe some sort of smart-home feature to turn the lights down or something), and some on a per-game basis.

All really good ideas. I never miss a chance to bring up the idea of 2, but 5 (custom widgets) could be quite convenient too. The overlay has so much bare space in it that it could be used for all sorts of things in desktop or BPM. Maybe could just have "tabs" (like in Windows) for custom programs you've added off to the side, and if you click on them it opens them up through the interface. So as an example, you could add MSI afterburner into the overlay, and you could simply shift+tab in-game and access and change your overclock settings or fps caps without actually tabbing out of a game.

I think it'd be pretty sweet.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Family share not fucking up. Have to re-set it up every so often. Also some games don't allow it.

This is probably caused by the bigger Windows updates basically re-installing Windows completely. Maybe they could work around this and check in a different way but they have to make sure in some way they it's still the same Windows install.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
A shadowplay feature would be great. Combine it with a video clip library like they currently have with screenshots.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Two things I'd like integrated are:

- either a local network cache of games, and / or local network peer to peer downloading for games. So if I have a laptop and a desktop and the desktop already has the game, I'd like to download the game from the desktop to the laptop. There are obviously ways to do this like creating a folder share, but I want it built into Steam. Like right click download game from (whatever the desktop host name is).

- A way to auto categorize my games and have it separate from my own categories (in case I don't like them I can just use mine).

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Improved mobile app
DVR like gameplay recording function
Let me block smaller developers that don't have publisher pages

Everything else I want they already announced (improved interface, better games list cataloging and sorting, etc)

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Fix client stability and improve response times both visually and on the back end. I hate when I click my inventory and I get 10 seconds of a preview of my profile but with it saying it's private, then finally maybe loading, 100% of the time this happens.

Also the store is slow and needs browser tabs badly along with better navigation.
Here's a few features I'd love to see:

1. Streaming local coop games online (By that I mean allowing a friend far away to play a local multiplayer game with you via streaming).

This would be awesome. It's basically doable now with ultra low latency streaming, but nobody has bothered yet though.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That already exists, just load the normal controller profile to the desktop controller settings.

What I do is just setup the desktop binding as m+kb, but make an action set with gamepad binding, so I can navigate the desktop easily, Steam games will have proper controller support, and the action set can be used when launching games outside of Steam that have controller support (as long as your controller is recognized by Windows as an Xbox controller). That sort of setup seemingly cancels Steam input stuff and just lets the controller get recognized normally.

I still vote for my idea of auto adding non-steam games into your library and having Steam auto inject support into it though :p

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I know apps like DS4Windows exist and do what I want but they pale in comparison to what Steam Input allows you to do. I fail to see how it wouldn't benefit Steam and all Steam users if they had a "Global Profile" for Steam that is active at all times unless a game you're launching through Steam has a profile which then of course would override the global one.

I mean technically this already exists in form of the Desktop Configuration but it still doesn't work reliably like with games running off Origin where you have to rely on external tools like GloSC for Steam Input to work for example.
The issue with that is that Steam Input works off the Overlay implementation, while stuff like DS4Windows is a Driver level converter. Valve could do it, but it's just not the goal of SI. Now if the new client has Overlay support at all times akin to the new Windows Game Bar then they could do it, but I just don't see valve investing the time into that when they just announced SC is done being manufactured, implying they believe SI is in a finished state.

EDIT:
Here's what the new game bar looks like:
LiIJq0X.png

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's kind of silly and small but I really hate the way that the steam client handles downloads and queues. Just let me immediately update a game, remove the auto-queuing of updates for random times that never seem to actually come. Make it so that games download in the order I queue them, don't pause whatever is downloading when I select a second thing to download.

It's weird that this functionality is so clunky after so long.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of silly and small but I really hate the way that the steam client handles downloads and queues. Just let me immediately update a game, remove the auto-queuing of updates for random times that never seem to actually come. Make it so that games download in the order I queue them, don't pause whatever is downloading when I select a second thing to download.

It's weird that this functionality is so clunky after so long.
Holy shit this. Every fucking time I leave my PC on without using it for a long time, when I come back there are like 5 updates queued to , I don't know, 6 am. Bugs me the fuck out.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty damning that a typical fix for Steam issues is to go in and manually wipe out a bunch of files in the Steam directory. Had to do this a few weeks back to get it to render the store + community pages in-app again (they were hanging on a blank screen).

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Auto-shutdown pc after a download is finished
- 3DS-style activity log

And of course gameplay recording. Really weird this hasnt been implemented yet especially as they have the in-built livestreaming feature for a long time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
That already exists, just load the normal controller profile to the desktop controller settings.

I'm aware of that but it doesn't seem to work like I hope it would. Normally I have the Desktop Profile disabled because I ran into issues with it before but even now setting it to the default Gamecontroller profile, when I started Burnout Paradise through Origin, the game sees a Xinput device but no inputs reach the game.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I could give a shit about is adding time tracking to non steam games that are added to your steam library. I want to see how long I've played OSU through steam damnit.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Can I please just get the ability to download and play games without the Steam client? You can keep your silly DRM schemes if you must, just integrate them into the game executable so they're invisible to me.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of great suggestions in here. One simple improvement they should add: let me disable achievement notifications without completely disabling the Steam overlay. Every other client that has achievements lets me do this, but for some reason it's still not an option in Steam. I've had the achievement notifications get stuck on my screen way too many times, requiring me to restart the game to get that part of the screen back.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the biggest thing I want from Steam right now is just the client being better optimized (which is hopefully coming). It's really showing its age right now. Some improvements to the discovery queue could also go a long way.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the biggest thing I want from Steam right now is just the client being better optimized (which is hopefully coming). It's really showing its age right now. Some improvements to the discovery queue could also go a long way.
Yeah, I feel like the discovery queue, and Steam recommendations in general, have gotten a lot worse in the past year or so. The only decent recommendations I get now are because of curators I follow. Practically everything Steam recommends to me that's not from a curator I follow is garbage.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The desktop profile is very limited in what it can do compared to normal game profiles. The main issue is that it doesn't work as an XInput device on the desktop profile.
If it could be assigned as a standard XInput device when the overlay isn't hooked into a game, that would probably be enough for most people.

A way to record the last 5 minutes of gameplay like nvidia shadowplay and what the consoles have
bbd23, C-Dub, Gattsu25

I know that it's not the same thing as being built into Steam, but have you considered setting up OBS Studio?
Its replay buffer feature records gameplay to RAM rather than constantly writing to disk, and then saves the buffer when you hit an assigned shortcut key.
It's very flexible in terms of layout and recording options, and is the closest thing to ShadowPlay right now with the way that it captures frames - though Shadowplay still has direct frame-buffer capture which nothing else has access to.
OBS can also capture video at high frame rates if your PC can support that, while many other solutions are limited to 60 FPS at most. In fact it's the only solution I found that worked well for recording 180 FPS footage from games when I wanted to shoot video for slow motion playback.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Can they update Steam on iOS more than once every 2-3 years? Would be super cool if they fixed it so that chat doesnt break when I send 2 messages in quick succession anymore. Or break when I click on a chat notification. Or break when I leave chat to go do anything else in the app and then try to go back. And ofc also updating the app to support the last 2 years of iPhone(X and Xs/Xs Max/Xr) screen sizes would also be neat.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Can I please just get the ability to download and play games without the Steam client? You can keep your silly DRM schemes if you must, just integrate them into the game executable so they're invisible to me.
It's entirely up to the developer/publisher to do that. Steam already allows it.

However I could probably see a use for a little tray-icon app called "Steam Gasket" or something (i.e. something to "keep the steam from leaking" :P), that does nothing but keep your login credentials for the sake of Steamworks-enabled games. Client itself doesn't run, but any game launched from a Steam shortcut launches fine, and most games not too heavily integrated into Steamworks would launch fine from the executable as well.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
A DVR like feature would be nice indeed, I can't imagine it would be a big job considering they already have broadcasting, so the video encoding part of that feature is done.

I also said in the very recent similar thread that universal cloud saves for all games, even older and not officially cloud supported games would be nice. Similar to what GameSave Manager does, but without the hassle of setting up a separate program and own cloud stuff.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they wont curate the store then let me easily block devs and remove games, developers or entire genres from ever appearing again. 3 or 2 clocks from the main store page minimum to block

Fanta

May 27, 2018
This might be a bit controversial depending on who you ask, but I think they should change Steam Groups to being group chat only ala Discord.

Right now Steam Group homepages still use the really old 2010 layout with seperate threads for every topic, as well as a group chat, but I don't see the point in the Steam Group homepages anymore since they updated the Steam Chat to Discord-lite, chatrooms and all.
It just feels like a leftover now.

Oct 25, 2017
The following process;

1. Customer encounters issue with game
2. Customer presses button to report issue
3. Steam collects data on issue, and hardware/software configuration
4. Steam compiles database using data
5. Steam sifts through database to find commonalities
6. New customer clicks to compare their system with known issues
7. Steam warns customer of any matches

Much more elegant than relying on shitty user reviews for potential issues.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Fix. Big. Picture. Mode.

As much as it's cool were finally getting the improved and updated UI for the client that was first promised back in 2017 I was saddened to see BPM was excluded from the revamp. All I can say is why? BPM is clunky, resource intensive, does not have a native gamepad friendly chat, and the web browser sucks ass.

Once the new UI releases in a few months BPM will be even more outdated. I use BPM when playing on my GPD Win 2 and it's amazing how fast browsing the BPM interface drains the battery. Even faster then playing games like Overwatch, Paladins, and Serious Sam 3!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The desktop profile is very limited in what it can do compared to normal game profiles. The main issue is that it doesn't work as an XInput device on the desktop profile.
If it could be assigned as a standard XInput device when the overlay isn't hooked into a game, that would probably be enough for most people.

bbd23, C-Dub, Gattsu25

I know that it's not the same thing as being built into Steam, but have you considered setting up OBS Studio?
Its replay buffer feature records gameplay to RAM rather than constantly writing to disk, and then saves the buffer when you hit an assigned shortcut key.
It's very flexible in terms of layout and recording options, and is the closest thing to ShadowPlay right now with the way that it captures frames - though Shadowplay still has direct frame-buffer capture which nothing else has access to.
OBS can also capture video at high frame rates if your PC can support that, while many other solutions are limited to 60 FPS at most. In fact it's the only solution I found that worked well for recording 180 FPS footage from games when I wanted to shoot video for slow motion playback.

That's exactly what would solve all my headaches in terms of PC controllers yeah. Well 99.9%, I would still have to launch DS4Windows for CEMU motion-controls to work but atleast nowadays DS4Windows and Steam Input don't step on each other's toes.

Also I had no idea that OBS had RAM-capture nowadays, that could be handy!

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I want to be able to use steam input features with my mouse/keyboard. Like use the radial menu stuff with m/kb. I imagine that would be quite nice.