• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
tengen-toppa-gurren-lagann-cosplay-yoko-littner-costume-9c1.jpg

(also 14 years old, yikes)

Sorta speaking of...

KOxDM6u.png

I cant imagine this getting better with age.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i guess i'll count CLAMP too

I saw a promo for the recent Code Geass movie and it felt like i was being chokeslammed by 2007 with how pointy and shiny (and noodly of course) everything still was
I still like a small handful of their designs though. even with bad art, Yuko from xxxholic had some outfits that were absolute looks

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I was expecting a bunch of Mr Popo type charcters in this thread. But, people are really out here attacking Gainax/Trigger classics.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I was expecting a bunch of Mr Popo type charcters in this thread. But, people are really out here attacking Gainax/Trigger classics.
Fan service is definitely worse than this
Nice whataboutism.

"Fanservice" sounds pretty reductive for what it actually is: sexualizing child characters. You both should check out this thread and give the OP a read.

www.resetera.com

Why women criticise sexualised character designs |OT2| I have no pants and I must scream (READ OP) OT

Please read these notable posts before participating in the thread, if you have not done so already!

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm like scrolling down that picture thinking "Eh, what's the problem" then I got to the hips.
What can you say, Gainax had to sell toys and it was an 80s OVA. Had to have perv hook, I guess.

Still an incredible character design.

$_3__34126.1463726810.JPG

Haruhiko Mikimoto was a star in the 80s.

Yeah. I hope people still give it a chance though, because when it goes hardcore it goes HARDCORE.

Dont take it so personal. I still love Noriko and her crew, its just that her design could use some touching up is all. Nothing is perfect.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Nice whataboutism.

"Fanservice" sounds pretty reductive for what it actually is: sexualizing child characters. You both should check out this thread and give the OP a read.

www.resetera.com

Why women criticise sexualised character designs |OT2| I have no pants and I must scream (READ OP) OT

Please read these notable posts before participating in the thread, if you have not done so already!

i don't agree with it at all. my post history pretty much roundly criticizes that kind of shit. i'm just surprised to see it more instead of the racist stuff-- that's all.

Staff Officer Black got a redesign in Path to Power at least
StaffOfficerBlackPathToPower.png

dude looks so much like Sylvando here lol

i haven't seen this movie in 20+ years.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
i don't agree with it at all. my post history pretty much roundly criticizes that kind of shit. i'm just surprised to see it more instead of the racist stuff-- that's all.
I gotcha. Mr. Popo is one of the most egregious ones and I'm not surprised it's one of the first posts.

this was also pretty bad

latest

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Pyunma from Cyborg 009
008-pyunma-cyborg-009-1979-27.8.jpg

Racial caricatures aside it's hard to dunk on the past. Character design has only gotten more homogenized with time.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Pyunma from Cyborg 009
008-pyunma-cyborg-009-1979-27.8.jpg

Racial caricatures aside it's hard to dunk on the past. Character design has only gotten more homogenized with time.

Holy shit, i had no idea this was what he originally looked like, he looks much much better in the more recent adaptations.

Anyways, i think the reason why we're getting more hate towards fan service than racial caricatures is, Racial stuff was always considered horrible and unaceptable by decent people, fan service is something most people had to grow out of.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I bet those statues sold like hotcakes though.

Yoko figures still command pretty high prices among vendors. KLK too, come to think of it. Those $$ are what the fanservice is really chasing, to get a dude to spend $350 on a hunk of plastic (and I say that as someone who dabbles but only when the price is right).

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
All the Orochimaru curse seal forms from Naruto look worse compared to later designs in the series in my opinion.

Especially Sasuke and his weird hand-wings.

sasuke_curse_seal_2_by_lwisf3rxd-d6s5mv0.png

SasukeCursedSeal.png

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
All the Orochimaru curse seal forms from Naruto look worse compared to later designs in the series in my opinion.

Especially Sasuke and his weird hand-wings.

sasuke_curse_seal_2_by_lwisf3rxd-d6s5mv0.png

SasukeCursedSeal.png
Sasuke's stands out as especially terrible compared to the more serviceable ones that Tayuya and Kimimaro had.
The hair, the face mark, the ugly ass back wing hands, it's so ugly

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta speaking of...

KOxDM6u.png

I cant imagine this getting better with age.

I don't think KLK can really count in this case because it's supposed to be absurdly sexualized and over the top. Nobody's ever going to look back at that show and say "What were they thinking?" because we all know exactly what they were thinking.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, i had no idea this was what he originally looked like, he looks much much better in the more recent adaptations.

Anyways, i think the reason why we're getting more hate towards fan service than racial caricatures is, Racial stuff was always considered horrible and unaceptable by decent people, fan service is something most people had to grow out of.
I don't know that it's appropriate to talk about datedness with regards to fan-service though because it implies that anime has somehow grown out of it when the opposite is true. Someone brought up Noriko's uniform from Gunbuster and it's pretty darned tame by todays standards.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dumbfounded.gif

WTF???? That has to be the most egregious examples of sexualizing children I have ever seen! Simon's relationship with Yoko makes so much more sense to me now, but WOW.
To give some context, it's been a spell since I caught up with Gurren Lagann lore but from my recollection she's not actually 14 when it comes to solar years. Like Simon and Kamina, she was raised in the caves and had never been to the surface as a child, so their perception of time is generally out of sync. It's very likely she's older than what's claimed. Time displacement is a neat concept but given the overall gratuity of the design it's pretty clear that the only thing it amounts to is an extremely ill-advised joke.

EDIT: And since people keep quoting/misunderstanding, yes, I'm in agreement that it's a dumb explanation, especially since people who watch Gurren Lagann never think much into her age given that the anime never mentions anyone's age.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that it's appropriate to talk about datedness with regards to fan-service though because it implies that anime has somehow grown out of it when the opposite is true. Someone brought up Noriko's uniform from Gunbuster and it's pretty darned tame by todays standards.

Oh, no, im not implying the industry grew out of it, i meant the audience, im pretty sure a lot of people in this forum had to grow out of finding fan service acceptable.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
A lot of Bulma's fashion and hair from DBZ looks so dated.

tumblr_l5z3b3n1ui1qctc81o1_1280.jpg

Honestly, although Bulma's fashion was firmly from that era, it actually gives DBZ a retro-cool vibe I appreciate wat more now that it's not in fashion. Staff Officer Black & Kid Chi-Chi's bikini aged like... I was going to say milk but at least milk starts off good, & those designs were never ok. But late 80s/early 90s Bulma aged like wine.

Side-note, I present Kid Chi-Chi as my example. No, I won't post it. The FBI probably has me on a watchlist because of telling Akita Toriyama to "meet me in the Toei parking lot" over Tenshinhan in the Tournament of Power. I'm not going to let Dragon Ball get me on a list twice.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
tengen-toppa-gurren-lagann-cosplay-yoko-littner-costume-9c1.jpg

(also 14 years old, yikes)
Yea, I don't think Gurren Lagann honestly has aged well as a whole, and this is definitely one of the reasons. I remember thinking it was 10/10 when I was way younger, but trying to rewatch it now, you see a lot of cracks. It's probably why I dropped KLK too, you see these cracks more as you get older.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think KLK can really count in this case because it's supposed to be absurdly sexualized and over the top. Nobody's ever going to look back at that show and say "What were they thinking?" because we all know exactly what they were thinking.
that doesn't make it better, really

To give some context, it's been a spell since I caught up with Gurren Lagann lore but from my recollection she's not actually 14 when it comes to solar years. Like Simon and Kamina, she was raised in the caves and had never been to the surface as a child, so their perception of time is generally out of sync. It's very likely she's older than what's claimed. Time displacement is a neat concept but given the overall gratuity of the design it's pretty clear that the only thing it amounts to is an extremely ill-advised joke.
is this actually based on anything, or is it just a fan theory made up after the fact?