• Komodo Dragons

Votes: 123 31.9%
  • Orcas

Votes: 262 68.1%

• Total voters

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People who think they can avoid orcas by staying out of the water need to watch Moon Warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
In general, Orcas are more terrifying. Maybe the most terrifying of all animals.
But they don't attack humans in the wild, so that's easy to ignore.

I feel much more threatened by dragons.

Komodos can be scary AF if you encounter them out in the wild (they can run up to 12 mph, which most humans maybe hit 7-8), but you have more options to fight them on land versus having next-to-nothing against an orca unless you've got fairly good-sized munitions.

Fit, non-runner humans can easily sprint 14+ mph, so at least you have a chance.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Komodos, all the way!
Has no one seen Free Willy?
Orcas are adorable!

maxresdefault.jpg

froday

Banned
Jul 29, 2018
You know how big a whale is right?

Sure yeah, but I would be more fascinated by an orca if I was near one. I mean, I think Komodo Dragons are cool too, but having seen videos of them capturing and killing prey they are brutal. They are powerful and have this very cold way of killing and eating.

With Orcas I'm just not concerned they would ever attack me.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Orcas eat sharks. They're at the top of the food chain. Besides humans no one hunts orca whales.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Orcas eat sharks. They're at the top of the food chain. Besides humans no one hunts orca whales.
there is technically one other predator in the ocean that can match up to Orcas, which is Sperm Whales. Orcas hunt child sperm whales, but it'd take an entire pod to take down an adult female and I don't know if there's a recorded instance of them taking down an adult Bull Sperm Whale (a pod probably could take single one down, but only with such substantial losses that they'd never really try)

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Orcas have been filmed coming out of nowhere to sink boats. There's no doubt in my mind that wild Orcas would tear a human apart if they're hungry. Komodo Dragons kind of just lounge in the sun. Orcas are way scarier.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
While orcas have a much wider range, komodo dragons are one of the few animals that outright prevented humans from living there.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
giphy.webp

Six foot tall ,helmet , fast swimmers and run at 31mph. I was at an animal show in Portaventura in spain one these came out he pointed up and it effortlessly jumped on a table top like watching the Jurassic Park 1 fake raptors

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I would have said Orcas, before realizing how scary Komodos really are. I wouldn't advise it but you can see their hunting and eating videos on YouTube.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Komodo dragons are known to hide and lie in wait for a passing doe who's pregnant, then jump out and scare her to the point of miscarrying her young so it can feast on the aborted deer fetus.

I don't think any other animal on earth other than humans can approach that level of evil. The poll results are wrong.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Komodos are probably more dangerous to me in that I dunno they might get out at the zoo and bite me (I'd also like to go to Indoneisha, probably not any islands where they actually live but that's still more probable than me being around actual wild Orcas) but overall Orcas are the absolute kings of killer animals in terms of size and strength. Any animal that fucks around with great whites and wins is at the top of my list

Xenocthul

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Neither? But if I have to choose I guess komodo dragons since it's slightly more likely that I would be on a random Indonesian Island compared to the middle of the Ocean.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the bacteria bite thing an urban legend?

No. Getting bit by a komodo dragon causes sepsis because like all animal bites their mouth is filthy and loaded with bacteria. Them being venomous is a myth though.

edit: I guess there is an urban legend after the venom urban legend that their mouth cultivate a specific type of bacteria, but it's just a normal gross animal bite on top of their prey running into dirty water causing more infection.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like a komodo could wreck my shit basically anywhere I am, assuming one escaped from a zoo/weird animal collector, and orcas can only hurt me if I go into their territory which is the ocean which I avoid anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
While an Orca is the one you would more likely lose to in a 1v1, they are also pretty nice to people, Komodo's literally don't give a shit, they will fuck you up, so them.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if i stay on land and away from seaworld i don't have to worry about orcas. komodo dragons can swim.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the whole video (and I might have some of this wrong) but there is somewhere that has a lot of Komodo Dragons and if you venture out of the safe zone and have any scratch or wound that is bleeding, they will smell it from miles away and start to home in on you during their feeding time. If you are bleeding even a little, you'll alert dozens of them in seconds, and because they can smell blood from so far away you wouldn't even know they are coming for you before it's too late. You have little chance of fighting one alone but a bunch of them and you have zero chance. The video made it seem like you are absolutely fucked unless you can get back to the safe zone as quickly as possible. That sounds scary as hell and made me fear those things more than I did before watching it.

Which seems scarier than Orcas to me until you add the water which adds another level of fear when you can't see them. I already can't stand swimming in any body of water that's not a pool because of my fear of the unknown. And they like to play with their prey which is fucked up.

I wouldn't want to encounter either of them in their environment so I go with both of them.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Isn't there a Komodo Dragon park in Indonesia?

From what I understand attacks are pretty rare there unless I'm mistaken. With that said, them chasing you seems pretty terrifying.

But I also wouldn't want to be in the water with a wild orca. I'm gonna go with the orca because being in the water with one just isn't natural to us land dwellers.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could probably escape a Komodo coming after me but if I'm in the ocean and an orca is after me damn I'm screwed.

Jun 10, 2018
Komodo dragons can run, climb, swim, and are relentless once on your scent. And they'll eat you alive rather than end your misery. Basically, if they're hungry, and you're within their range, you're kinda fucked 😅

So unless orcas evolve into being land dwelling animals, komodos got this in a landslide for me

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Komodo Dragons look kinda cute in a derpy way honestly so Orcas for sure. They both are apex predators yes but only Orcas actually look the part.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in terms of which one would be willing to kill me in their particular environs (land/sea) i'd take my bet with Komodos. maybe i'd lose a leg or something, but yeah

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
....yet

They've just started attacking and sinking boats. Its only a matter of time really. They don't even have to kill us to eat us, if they discover tossing around a human like a rag doll can be fun experience, they'll add it to their list of recreational activities.
They may be smart enough to understand that if they get too aggressive towards humans, we can shoot them with guns and missiles if need be.

D6AMIA6N

Nov 8, 2017
Atlanta, GA
One of these I can completely avoid. One has the potential to chase me down wherever I run.

At least in my dreams. Komodo's are terrifying to me. A literal dinosaur.