• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just made me realized...

Nintendo is probably R&D'ing a new control scheme to solve the drift issues, and thus isn't invested in fixing the current drifting situation.
www.resetera.com

Joycons are sold out everywhere... right? Or is it YMMV?

I look on Brickseek and every Joycon of all colors are sold out pretty much everywhere in my city, Austin. Is this true for everyone else? Switches are sold out and Joycons too? Wow. I wonder when they come back in stock in my area?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
They are having their best year ever for Switch, they don't need to rush anything. Continue releasing great games. The main thing I'd argue they have to do is whenever they do release a Switch successor is have it be BC. But again, it released in 2017, they don't have to respond with anything right now.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Nintendo will be fine. No clue what they will do next though. They've stayed relevant for 25+ years and continue to innovate. Whatever they do I just hope they get their online together for the next gen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll need a greater focus on online communities, game stores, sharing etc. Can't do this nonesense of app voice chat.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Wii as powerful as the 360 or PS3? Is the Switch as powerful as the PS4 and XBONE? I'm suspecting the majority of people that buy Nintendo consoles to play Mario don't care about teraflops.

Nintendo's doomed...again.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo cares what Sony and Microsoft are doing, Switch is selling better than PS4/XB1 without being comparable in power. I assume their next console will be another hybrid which is more powerful than PS4/XB1 but still doesn't exceed PS4 Pro.

The Switch is the last gasp of a dying empire. After 2022, it's done. Nintendo has nowhere to go, nowhere to turn. It was their last chance, their last resort. The lost their sight years ago. They'll be cut into pieces. Nothing they are doing is fine. Nothing they are doing is alright. It's a downward spiral.

Is this a copypasta lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should team up with MS for thier streaming service too. I'd happily sub to that. I guess that's one way of getting a super powered Nintendo game. I don't care for handheld mode so I'd honestly get this day 1. Can imagine 4k/60 BotW 2.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sideways.
Maybe even diagonally.
Nintendo are very sneaky and not to be trusted to do what you expect.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
  1. Keep making hybrid portable consoles.
    1. Seriously consider an eGPU dock next gen
  2. Keep making great games.
  3. Partner with Xbox, eventually Sony and Steam to offer their games on Nintendo hardware via streaming services.
  4. Put your games on other platforms
  5. Invest in your online infrastructure

Oct 28, 2017
Switch Advance.

Unibody constructed alloy
Switch LITE form factor
8" 1440p screen
Dockable eGPU with 16GB Total (8 console 8 dock)
Graphine Battery (this is the key to it all)
Bluetooth Audio for Pete sake!!!

The Switch Advance $299
The Dock (Sold Separately) $199

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
switch 2 with a sleeker design, more graphics and better build quality
fix their online service
treat their legacy titles better

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nintendo, so I may be totally off, but it seems the direction they will take is fairly obvious. They are setting records left and right with the Switch while struggling to produce enough stock to satisfy demand. This makes it seem extremely likely they will continue with a Hybrid Console. Will there be additional innovations? Probably but who knows to what extent.

They currently have a tremendous amount of momentum with no signs of slowing in sight. I mean we haven't even seen a price drop yet. With games like BoTW2, Bayo 3, MP4 in the pipeline in the coming years, they should be able to maintain momentum until we get close to them releasing a successor. In a couple years they should be able to get a nice generational jump in power over the current Switch at a competitive price.

As long as they continue releasing top quality games they will continue to do just fine.

Oct 25, 2017
México
promise? i'll buy a new switch with better battery life tomorrow if you swear all i have to do is sign into the new one upon purchase.
That's all you have to do.

Right now your current Switch is the primary console. Just wipe it to delink your account from the Switch.

If your system gets stolen or gets broken, you can unlink your console from accounts.nintendo.com (but this method only works one time per year).

Also, you can easily have a primary and a secondary Switch and both can share the same digital games.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Continue to outclass everyone else in software and put that software on unique hardware. Power means nothing compared to that.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
The graphics race took a curve for the worst with the launch of SEX and PS5 because the margin is too wide to even attempt to port the new AAA releases that are coming out.

So Nintendo will have to double down even more on their first party and keep making revisions on the Switch hardware and maintain backwards compatibility with switch games because is not gonna fly selling ports for a full price now.

If the console keep selling then some third party might make some games with the weaknesses of the switch in mind.

Not gonna comment on the online because is clear how incompetent they are on that front and asking for more would be beating the dead offline horse.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The point I tried to make was how do they continue the Switch model while giving it the power third party devs need?

Thanks to Nvidia's DLSS Switch 2 could easily wind up being effectively closer to PS5/XSX than Switch is to PS4/XB1.

Of course it will won't get every AAA game day and date but it could wind up with better support than the Switch is getting.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're going to ride the Switch train for a while - with re-iterations, mid-gen upgrades, that sort of thing. I expect it's going to have a lifespan more like the DS or 3DS, 7-8 years on the market.

Their next "frontier" is almost definitely VR, though. They've been chasing that rabbit for literal decades, between the Virtual Boy, the 3DS, Labo VR, all that. If their next major device doesn't have a prominent VR component I'll be very surprised.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I'd be super disappointed if they went with a dedicated home console. A more powerful Switch 2 is the way to go, even if it's significantly less powerful than the other next gen consoles. Nintendo's IP's and having the only portable console on the market will carve out a nice spot for them this coming generation.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I can honestly see them continuing the Switch hybrid design, with full BC of Switch titles.

Just make it a generational difference in power, more comfortable, better buttons, OLED and a crisp resolution. More Nintendo games. That's all I want.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
switch 2 for sure, pubs gonna need somewhere to sell all the last gen ports since ps5/sx have BC.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
They've finally struck gold with the Switch. It's a crossover hit with both casual and frequent players-- there's almost none of the ambivalence from the "true gamer" crowd that existed in the Wii days. And it hasn't shown much sign of cooling off, either. Add to that the fact that we're getting some all-time great entries in beloved franchises because development resources are focused on a single platform... This is probably already my all-time favorite system. Switch 2 is the only way forward.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty sure the only thing that is still weird is transferring saves, but i really don't know if cloud saves are across every game now or not

You can transfer saves directly between consoles without need for cloud saves. I think currently there's still no way to transfer Animal Crossing saves but that should be the only game with that issue.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ask Nvidia to upgrade their Switch and make deals with 3rd party devs for console parity.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Nintendo will ever make a traditional console with specs equal to their competitors again.

The hybrid thing is working for them, and they're benefiting from all the resources being poured into researching mobile computing because of cell phones.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The iPad Pro is within range of current gen performance right now, so we're not a long way off from 1 or 2 teraflops on a portable device. If they put out a Switch 2 that did a solid 1080p handheld in a few years I think they'll be fine.

Some 3rd party devs are going to be prepared to scale games down to base Xbox One levels for the foreseeable future. And Microsoft themselves might even continue to port their games to a Switch 2. Match that with their characteristically strong first party titles and a fanbase that really doesn't care about cutting edge tech, and Nintendo can do this whole thing again next gen.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you think that having third-party parity is a requirement for Nintendo, you haven't been paying attention. As long as they are close enough so they still get indies and games like Minecraft and Fortnite, they will be fine.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Something occurred to me the other day, but isn't Nintendo in a unique position due to their status as a thoroughbred video game company?

Playstation and Xbox have to fight for turf inside of the bigger Microsoft and Sony corporations, but Nintendo is 100% Nintendo. So while they probably still have to worry about dumbass shareholders, it's not like anyone is going to suggest that they get out of games and start making TVs or producing movies.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I see Switch as their handheld moving forward, especially after the lite came onboard. So maybe their next thing will be more console based? Maybe not the 3 pillar thing they used to preach but 2 instead. Lol.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
With Sony and Microsoft both releasing consoles with teraflop figures in the double digits, where does this leave Nintendo? Will their next console be another hybrid ala "Switch 2"? Or will they go back to doing a console strictly for home use? Nintendo's developers have some of the best art direction in the industry, but that only goes so far. What can they realisticaly release in the hybrid model to compete with the other two? They could just as easily do a Switch Pro so to speak as what's been rumored for a while, and also do a dedicated home console at around 6TF or so sans Raytracing. Thoughts?
www.resetera.com

Based on how tech has progressed since the Switch, how powerful could a Switch Pro in early 2021 actually be?

all that would do is just let the games run at their max set resolution.

This is a good thread to go through for the technical stuff.

I don't think the GPU gap will be Nintendo's biggest hurdle for various reasons, but it's all about if they wish to stay hybrid or not. If they stay, they can design a quite capable and powerful followup to the Switch.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
It's tough to imagine Nintendo ever returning to a dedicated home console at this point. Their competition has run away with the concept.

Sticking with the hybrid concept would be ideal, Nintendo's unique art direction and design philosophies fill in so many shortcomings with the hardware.

Though I could eventually see Nintendo shift into handheld-only hardware, a market they've more-or-less owned for the last 30 years.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I think with how successful the Switch is, they might decide to release the successor a few years after PS5/XSX, so they can avoid direct competition, and only have to fight Sony and Microsoft when they're winding down their respective generations.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In MY perfect world (because I don't like portable "on the go" gaming) they will release the Switch 2 with 2 consoles, a portatil one with the same vision as the original Switch and a traditional/stationary one, with more processing power. Both plays the same games but you can choose if you want underpowered + portable or overpowered + non portable.
That's it. I'm really tired of the underpowered graphics from Nintendo.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
The point I tried to make was how do they continue the Switch model while giving it the power third party devs need?
What's become clear over the last 3 years is that there's an entire ecosystem of 3rd party developers who don't need anywhere close to Horizon: Forbidden West levels of power. In that landscape, Nintendo needn't be concerned that Resident Evil 8 won't run. They just need it to be powerful enough to play Little Devil Inside, Goodbye Volcano High, and Solar Ash.

When you factor in innovations like DLSS 2.0, then the possibilities open up even more.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
They should stick to a hybrid system and focus on convenience and ease of use. Portability with console quality gaming is amazing for anyone who travels a lot or goes out a lot and has downtime. Gaming on your phone only goes so far and you have battery life to consider for making calls or messaging.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
NCloud, stream all your games off off Nintendos online infrastructure in full 4k 60fps.

But seriously, they're gonna be fine. They were never gonna get much third party support.
Saying it's a power thing, that never helped them in the last since companies don't want to compete with their strong first party output.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
With Sony and Microsoft both releasing consoles with teraflop figures in the double digits, where does this leave Nintendo? Will their next console be another hybrid ala "Switch 2"? Or will they go back to doing a console strictly for home use? Nintendo's developers have some of the best art direction in the industry, but that only goes so far. What can they realisticaly release in the hybrid model to compete with the other two? They could just as easily do a Switch Pro so to speak as what's been rumored for a while, and also do a dedicated home console at around 6TF or so sans Raytracing. Thoughts?
Nintendo doesn't really need to meet the other guys on the power map to compete. Just look at how Switch is doing when PS/XB are much more powerful. And go back to console-only? Unless they do something as revolutionary as Wii that knocks it out of the park, I expect another Wii U performance. IMO, Nintendo shouldn't go back to console-only, unless they release a cheap PS Vita TV-like system as a companions system to Switch for people that only use TV play. And TBH, I think that'd be such a miniscule market that it's not worth it.
This. Go straight to doom. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo needs to get their shit together because at this rate, they're not even gonna catch up to the PS4, let alone next gen consoles. I would looove for them to actually push graphics for once, to even attempt to play ball with the other players on this stage, but Nintendo will do what they always do, and it will be disappointing, as usual.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
They'll have the cheapest modern system on the market, the only one that supports portable and with several of the most popular franchises in gaming. I don't think they need to change very much.

I think the interesting question in the coming years will be how successful the Switch Lite is and whether their next system will be handheld only.