Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
they're all playing minecraft and fortnite

and roblox

and pokemon, mario, animal crossing and all the other nintendo games

and cod and gta if you don't care about violent shit

Jas

Oct 28, 2017
I bought my 4 year old niece and 3 year old nephew Switchs this Christmas, the standout game is Yoshi's Crafted World. Once they saw they could eat each other they were hooked. It has a demo like previous posters have said too.
Some Other Suggestions...
Animal Crossing (There's a lot of reading at times so you might have to be with them when they play)
Minecraft
Burnout Paradise Remastered (My nephew likes cars and it being open world he can just drive around and have fun)
Pokemon Lets' Go

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Switch has quite a few, PC will obviously have some although they are harder to find.

Xbox is similar but Gamepass is like a cheat code for taking care of a kids library, especially when they neatly show prompts for things like Adventure or platforming, all of a sudden boom 30 games your kid could play. Iv done that with my younger cousin and well...the hard drive was really put to work that day lol

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
So my kid started playing games at 3. At 2 he was really interested in watching Luigi's Mansion 3, and then when Animal Crossing came out he started playing it with me. It was really hard for him to control but he steadily improved and he can pretty much play it himself and just needs me to read everything for him ("Talk daddy!") Our island is the virtual representation of a messy play room with toys everywhere, but he loves the landscaping tools so watch out for all the random holes of water.

We're playing through Paper Mario now, I do the battles and read all the dialogue and he navigates around the world. He loves Yoshi's Crafted World (Giant Robot Yoshi is a huge hit), anything Mario (He likes running around the 3d games, and we make relatively easy levels in Maker and play through them), there is a Paw Patrol Mighty Pups game which he can play pretty much independently, a Short Hike is a fun playground for him. Mario Kart has been mentioned which he gets into though I think he is more passive about that due to the auto driving.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Also OP, by helping my twin cousins get into videogames my best suggestion is to let your kids choose what games they want to play and try out. Give them like 3-5 options and let them enjoy it and struggle with it. Help them when they need, but let them have fun figuring stuff out.

Also, since you have Gamepass maybe your 8 year old will enjoy Forza Horizon 4. You can turn all assists on and he can just drive around like crazy, you can't lose, you can drive basically any car you want and it can be always multiplayer (and there's no voice-chat so no way for them to have a bad experience with strangers). No split screen but yea.

Good luck!

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I have found that games with open worlds where you can roam around and not get hurt too bad are the best.

Forza Horizon 4
Spiderman
Lego Avengers
Minecraft

Stuff like that.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
I started playing 2d Mario games around age 5/6 - I sucked at it and had to look at the controller constantly, but I still understood what I had to do and had a good time, so I'd say give that type of game a try.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey has a lot of options for kids.
Guiding the way with arrows on the floor, health restore while standing idle, etc.
My nephew played it as a 5 year old.

Also, Yoshi's Crafted World.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of Nintendo's first party titles are kid friendly. Racing games like the Forza or Burnout series are good too.

MikePT

Oct 28, 2017
Lego games - My oldest son (almost 5 years old) loves the Lego Avengers, Lego Marvel 1+2 and Lego Batman. You basically never die and has coop if they need any help.
Sonic Forces - also fine for kids.
Paw Patrol - this one is fairly simplistic (may too much, my oldest thinks is too basic)

And like the other posters said, Nintendo games Switch like Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Kart and Odyssey have fantastic options for kids.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
My 5 year old just completed knack on hard last night. And I struggled with bits of that on hard myself so I'm suitably impressed.

He loves a bit and his blob too which is quite difficult.

Don't underestimate children.

Playstation now actually has a good selection of things for kids.

Bonus that they can just navigate it themselves like netflix and start things up. No downloading etc

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Lego games - My oldest son (almost 5 years old) loves the Lego Avengers, Lego Marvel 1+2 and Lego Batman. You basically never die and has coop if they need any help.
Sonic Forces - also fine for kids.
Paw Patrol - this one is fairly simplistic (may too much, my oldest thinks is too basic)

And like the other posters said, Nintendo games Switch like Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Kart and Odyssey have fantastic options for kids.

My son loves this game

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My five year old is into Xbox gaming (three year old just wants to watch things on his Kindle).

We started with Disneyland Adventures and he really like that. Then, after we got Disney+ and he got into Pixar, he's been into Disney Rush.

He loved Lego Batman, but we stopped after a bit because he was hitting his brother as Batman lol.

He's also had fun with Sonic Mania, Sonic 3, and New Super Lucky's Tale. We've tried the two Paw Patrol games, but he isn't as into those.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it, but I'm wondering how Kirby Star Allies would do.

I think something on rails where camera is taken care of and movement is mostly taken care of would be the sweet spot.

Well, this is just *screaming* "Pokemon Snap" at me, with a new one on the way in a few months. That said, I'm operating under the assumption they're not mixing up the formula a great deal!

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Different kids have different altitudes, but my son was building Mario Maker troll levels for me at age 4-5 and is now onto Minecraft, building all kinds of complicated stuff using red stone circuitry (age 6). Don't underestimate their ability. We also develop an island together and celebrate festivals and events in Animal Crossing.

The most important thing I've found is to provide a stress free creative environment which will allow them to stretch their imagination and skills. All of the above can be played without enemies or time limits which can be stressful for children.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend Yoshis Crafted World.

For starters, it's not the most demanding platformer, and it takes it further with an excellent kid mode that makes it accessible to my 4 year old. It gives you tons of extra health and unlimited flutter kick flying.

Until you scare the shit out of them with the Clown Chainsaw level.