• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• I definitely didn't think Sheev was going to come back as the big bad of a new trilogy decades later

Votes: 648 74.8%
  • It's pretty obvious he would survive being thrown into an endless shaft in the middle of space. DUH!

Votes: 59 6.8%
  • The midicholorians did it.

Votes: 30 3.5%
  • Something something about it happening in the expanded universe.

Votes: 52 6.0%
  • Sheev?

Votes: 77 8.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it's easier to enjoy Star Wars if I turn the thinking part of my brain off when watching.

But yes it is stupid that it's the same rebels vs empire v.2.0 and the OT didn't actually solve anything.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
He was thrown down an endless shaft on an exploding space station in the vacuum of space, but we gotta sell tickets to ROS

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just goes to show how Rian fucked this trilogy up. They have to resort to bringing back the Emperor because Rian decided to killIng Snoke for no reason. Given the lack of big bad guys Star Wars has they really didn't have many options.
Snoke was a garbage villain anyway and a bad Palpatine ripoff. The decision to kill off Snoke was a good one by itself. The problem is the follow through.

Oct 28, 2017
I think he is back mainly for two reasons:
1. Bendemption
2. The Rey/Kylo team-up in TLJ was the best thing about that movie and they needed a way to make that happen again at some point in this movie. Enter Darth Sidious.

Having said this, the books and videogames have all pointed to Sidious having a contingency plan in the event of his death so if you follow that stuff his return is not that out of left field.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I find it's easier to enjoy Star Wars if I turn the thinking part of my brain off when watching.

But yes it is stupid that it's the same rebels vs empire v.2.0 and the OT didn't actually solve anything.
The OT led to 30 years of peace. That's quite literally more than can be said about real life and we're talking about a galaxy instead of a planet.

How about, the villain saying on the nose dialogue involving a message they are trying to hammer?
If you think TLJ's message is that we should let the past die then you didn't understand the movie. Also, it's SW, on the nose dialogue regarding the themes is par for the course, as it's supposed to be easily understood by children.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Well, I don't really blame them for trying to hold to the familiar while managing a mess of these proportions. It's just so boring, predictable, unsubtle and shows such a disregard for cohesivity that makes me want to yawn.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I thought he would pull a surprise after that. Lol. Always thought it was the worst way to kill him. Still do. Everything in the throne room was perfect except for him going out like a bitch.

Oct 27, 2017
When I thought there would never be a sequel, yes.

As soon as Disney got Star Wars, no.

Palpatine is the Ganondorf of Star Wars, which is itself pulpy sci-fi, so I don't understand the problem with that.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
After the stupidity of bringing back Maul after he was cut and half and fell down a hole in two pieces it's obvious that anyone we don't witness die on screen is fair game to bring back no matter how lame it is. Falling down a hole in the Star Wars universe is essentially just putting a character in their back pocket in case they run out of new ideas.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Well, in the old EU, Palpatine had Bevel Lemelisk tortured to death several times, transferring his consciousness to a different body. By the time the Rebel Alliance caught Lemelisk, by his own admission he was ready to finally die, as long as it was final this time.

Given that I don't think it's a huge jump to doing the same to himself, but I don't care either way, so meh.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just goes to show how Rian fucked this trilogy up. They have to resort to bringing back the Emperor because Rian decided to kill Snoke for no reason. Given the lack of big bad guys Star Wars has they really didn't have many options.

It was screwed from the start. The reset of the universe to OT stakes was the mistake. Snoke was a mistake. Finn and brainwashed Stormtroopers might have been an interesting avenue.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show how Rian fucked this trilogy up. They have to resort to bringing back the Emperor because Rian decided to kill Snoke for no reason. Given the lack of big bad guys Star Wars has they really didn't have many options.
JJ did not have to bring back the Emperor because Snoke died lol. Kylo Ren is the bad guy. This one is entirely on JJ.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I thought he died at the time (was 12yo) and since I see the Star Wars cinematic universe as three distinct parts (that happen to have similar characters) he's still dead in the OT.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If you think TLJ's message is that we should let the past die then you didn't understand the movie. Also, it's SW, on the nose dialogue regarding the themes is par for the course, as it's a kid's movie.

TLJ doesn't really even have a message. I however did see a lot of the defending of how Luke was handled as "let the past die". I actually always saw through the information from Kylo as coming from a non reputable source. But in that instance, they tried to use it as character advancement for himself as he is seeking to move on from being a lackey.... but for some reason he redoes his mask in ROS. And here we are, a botched character arc.

Also I never really understood the whole children movie in space thing. The series is obviously not for children. The audience is everyone. Dumbing down expectations is the new subverted expectations?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
After the stupidity of bringing back Maul after he was cut and half and fell down a hole in two pieces it's obvious that anyone we don't witness die on screen is fair game to bring back no matter how lame it is.
Darth Maul's arc in the CW is one of the most interesting arcs in the entire show, and subsequently his appearance in Rebels was one of the most interesting arcs leading to one of the best lightsaber duels and character deaths in the franchise.

So yea since they made that idea into an award winner they can absolutely make Palpatine's return work.

TLJ doesn't really even have a message.

Literally every character arc in the film is based on this message.

Oct 25, 2017
Needed a third try to redeem the guy who employs an army of stolen children... So why not bring a more evil dude from the past to save time building a new threat

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes I assumed he was dead. I'm not outraged at him coming back. My overall opinion is it's sad to see storytelling in sci-fi progress so much in over thirty years and Star Wars is so popular that they are too afraid to take risks and move it in new directions.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would anyone have assumed this didn't kill him? Also biggest smallest universe ever. Every movie apparently has to involve palpetine because apparently there aren't any other serious threats in this universe.

Oct 25, 2017
It's still hilarious to me that Palpatine in that poster is a photo of an action figure.

Does get me asking questions when they apparently have zero assets from this actual movie to use for their own poster and resort to doing this.
It makes me wonder if he's not appearing in this movie in the traditional sense that some might expect. That he might not look like he did in RotJ anymore, whatever that might mean.
Of course they could just be slapping in something vaguely nostalgic because they don't want his actual TRoS reveal to be on something as meager as a poster.
But it does make one wonder if there could be something more going on. Probably overthinking it.

Either way, the poster does look a little less action figury if you drop the oversaturation.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Darth Maul's arc in the CW is one of the most interesting arcs in the entire show, and subsequently his appearance in Rebels was one of the most interesting arcs leading to one of the best lightsaber duels and character deaths in the franchise.

So yea since they made that into an award winner they can absolutely make Palpatine's return work.

And yet the basic concept is incredibly stupid. It just means that anyone you don't verify is dead is still a chess piece on the board. Maul might as well have waved to them and given them a wink as he fell down the shaft cut in twain. The Emperor returning is equally stupid. It just lowers the stakes in the movies when the movies are obviously hoodwinking the viewers.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

So yea since they made that idea into an award winner they can absolutely make Palpatine's return work.

Literally every character arc in the film is based on this message.

Oh so Yoda is shooting on the sequel trilogy.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I was, uh, 6, maybe 7 years old when I saw ROTJ? Episode 1 had only just come out. And less than a year later, I had already read Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which were episodes 7 through 9 as far as I was concerned at the time. So yeah, I was pretty sure the Emperor was toast.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's Big Boss in MGS4 all over again (who was set on fire and turned into burnt toast in Metal Gear 2).
(Or Volgin in MGSV, who was also clearly dead at the end of MGS3).
So dumb.

Oct 28, 2017
It would have been nice to see Kylo as the Big Bad ... do something original and interesting and leveraging Adam Driver's talents.

I just hope Kylo doesn't end up doing Palpatine's bidding for really dumb reasons or anything like that.

Anakin Skywalker is his grandfather though so maybe gullibility runs in the family

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And yet the basic concept is incredibly stupid. It just means that anyone you don't verify is dead is still a chess piece on the board. Maul might as well have waved to them and given them a wink as he fell down the shaft cut in twain. The Emperor returning is equally stupid. It just lowers the stakes in the movies when the movies are obviously hoodwinking the viewers.
This literally doesn't matter if the material is well written.

Oh so Yoda is shooting on the sequel trilogy.
Yoda literally spells out the message of the last jedi and every arc in the film during that scene. Which happens to be directly before every character faces the consequences of their biggest failures.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Oh sure, as a little kid I thought he was dead and gone. NOt that I really cared either way, because, for me, at the time the trilogy wasn't really about him. But then stuff like Dark Empire came out with strangely sexy clone Palpatine so I've had many years to come to terms with the idea of the character being brought back through some form of shenanigans.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
We saw Luke survive falling down a shaft with no hand so it always did seem like an all-powerful Sith would have no problem surviving, but I did think he was dead.

Oh yeah, same with Maul and he was cut in half.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"He fell to his doom..."
356ffb6cf5116665d35e6aa525695447.jpg

Star Wars "falls" in a nutshell.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would have been nice to see Kylo as the Big Bad ... do something original and interesting and leveraging Adam Driver's talents.

I just hope Kylo doesn't end up doing Palpatine's bidding for really dumb reasons or anything like that.

Anakin Skywalker is his grandfather though so maybe gullibility runs in the family

Yep, one of the most interesting things coming out of TLJ was seeing how Kylo would be wearing the crown in the finale.

Who knows. Fingers crossed they pull this off, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't cringe a bit when they announced the Emperor is back.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Honestly I didn't even know who tf the Emperor was. Dude just shows up saying I'm the big baddie but with a design that looks like my grandma

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except Palpatine was always planned to return.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't see them hit the bottom there is always room for some revisionist bullshit. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ended with shredder being crushed in the back of a garbage truck, and it literally zoomed in on his hand until it stopped twitching and then TMNT II they just dribbled some more goo on him and he was better than ever.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are we really gonna argue about how likely it is that an evil space wizard may have survived being thrown down a shaft? When there's been decades of EU books that explored that same topic?

Of course he can survive it. It's fantasy.