Do you think red or blue represents the good guy/side?

• Red

Votes: 58 9.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 568 90.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ah, the most common two colors chosen to represent two opposing sides. Dante and Vergil from Devil May Cry. Orange (Red) Star and Blue Moon from Advance Wars. The Alliance and Horde from WarCraft.

93DCFA3AF830F3C2DE6E4A12F7C69972D22B5B38

maxresdefault.jpg

Which color do you usually associate with "good"? I think that in execution it probably varies with an even 50/50 split, or close to it, but which color does your mind associate with the hero or heroes?

Apr 2, 2021
If my childhood taught me anything, it's that Red Lightsaber=Bad, Blue Lightsaber=Good
yeah but if your spaceship is shooting red lasers, then you're good. Green lasers, bad.

Seeing star wars as a 5 year old actually taught me not to link good/bad to colors because of that. I saw the bad guys shooting green lasers and I was so confused, like I didn't understand how green could be used by bad guys and I wondered if George Lucas actually thought the empire were good.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Red is evil because it's the color of blood and fire, the two things only evil people use.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
15766674-super-robot-sycox.png

However many of you pick red, it does not matter. I simply have to strike you all down.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Question as insightful as "when there's a green light and a red light, which colour do you most associate with 'Go'".

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Question as insightful as "when there's a green light and a red light, which colour do you most associate with 'Go'".
Funnily enough, "When there's a green team and a red team, which color do you most associate with the good guys?" might have closer results. Like mentioned above, in Star Wars good guys shoot red lasers and bad guys shoot green lasers.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Why did you start your thread about red and blue teams with an image showing the opposing factions of red and yellow?

Jan 20, 2023
Why did you start your thread about red and blue teams with an image showing the opposing factions of red and yellow?
its a bad image example, alliance is blue with gold detail.

also red is always the enemy, show me an FPS game where your teammates are all highlighted in red, and the enemies are all highlighted in blue

...and i'll show you a bad video game.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I absolutely hate the fact that everyone is on blue team in Halo Infinite. Doesn't make any sense!

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's also Axis vs Allies with red representing the Axis with blue, the Allies.

Healthy_Gamer

Jan 18, 2023
Warhawk (PS3) was unplayable for me if the lobby put me on the red team and I had to kill the blue team. My brain always associates with red being the bad guys

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Every single MMO I've ever played (even the ones with three factions) the Red one always had the most hardcore PvP community. Red just draws the bloodthirst.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Federation versus Klingons
Fire Emblem
Allied Command versus the USSR in Red Alert
Humans versus Orcs in Warcraft 2

Oct 27, 2017
its a bad image example, alliance is blue with gold detail.

also red is always the enemy, show me an FPS game where your teammates are all highlighted in red, and the enemies are all highlighted in blue

...and i'll show you a bad video game.
Not FPS but Warhawk (the greatest MP game) had designated Red (Chernovan) and Blue (Eucadian) teams so you always fought the opposite.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
red are the bad guys in strategy games because of cold war propaganda
In 1824, a Prussian army officer named Georg von Reisswitz presented to the Prussian General Staff a wargame that he and his father had developed over the years. It was a highly realistic wargame designed strictly for use as a professional tool of training, and not for leisure. Instead of a chess-like grid, this game was played on accurate paper maps of the kind the Prussian army used. This allowed the game to model terrain naturally and simulate battles in real locations. The pieces could be moved across the map in a free-form manner, subject to terrain obstacles. The pieces, each of which represented some kind of army unit (an infantry battalion, a cavalry squadron, etc.), were little rectangular blocks made of lead. The pieces were painted either red or blue to indicate the faction it belonged to. The blue pieces were used to represent the Prussian army and red was used to represent some foreign enemy—since then it has been the convention in professional wargaming to use blue to represent the faction to which the players actually belong to. The game used dice to add a degree of randomness to combat. The scale of the map was 1:8000 and the pieces were made to the same proportions as the units they represented, such that each piece occupied the same relative space on the map as the corresponding unit did on the battlefield.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Well there you go. I did know turbo nerd realistic war games originated in Prussia. But I didn't know that was were the color convention came from.
Apparently after the war of 1870, all the great powers in Europe started buying war games to do their own officer training.
And supposedly before the battle of Midway Japanese officers simulated the battle in such a game. And after the American side scored a bunch of hits, the guy in charge intervened saying "American pilots aren't that good, halve the number of hits!" lmao.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
images

Does this look like a good man to you? A hero, even? Typical Agathean propaganda. Red is the colour of heroes.

blue is a color that invokes calmness and quietness, like the sea or the sky. That's why they use it a lot for areas where people may become distressed easily. Red is just the color of blood or fire so there you go.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
If Fire Emblem taught me anything it is that blue good, red bad and green neutral.

8-plotteleport.gif

Interestingly, Intelligent Systems flips this script for the Wars series. The Red (Orange) Star Army are they good guys and the blue are bad. Though Super Famicom Wars Red Star Army had "Hetler" so I'm not sure what they're doing.