• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Bejeweled 3.

There's just something relaxing about matching three of the same color gems. Zen Mode certainly helps. I'd buy a Bejeweled 4 day one if it ever happened.

OP
OP
8bit

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris is something I play quite often.

Been playing Tetris 99 almost daily since lockdown, good choice!

of all time?

The Jet Set Radio series

Yeah, big fan of JSR/JSRF, would love to be able to play the sequel again but feat my Xbox might explode after being inert for 15 year. The soundtrack to that is perfect.

Forza Horizon 3
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Lumines: ES
Skate

I dug out my PSTV and connected to my old monitor this week to play Lumines ES, loved the soundtrack on that. Currently getting ass handed to me on Disco Infiltrator but I know I can beat it. PPTetrs also a good pick!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I could never get used to that 3D/cylinder puzzle thing, but I had a fun time with that game, being a hardcore fan of Tetris Attack. Glad to see it mentioned more than once in this thread.
The key to that one was to constantly glance at the back of the cylinder to make sure it never got too high in one area. It was a neat gimmick, but the traditional 2D version was where it was at. Doing x11, 12, 13 combos was so satisfying. |3

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Stardew valley, My time at Portia (both have combat, but it's hardly the focus).

Does it have to be games where you control a character? Why not some WiSims or Citybuilders? Anno 1800 is great.

Aug 1, 2018
Stardew Valley for sure. It has combat, but it's not the focus of the game at all and you don't even have to do it if you don't want to. The game is so endearing.

OP
OP
8bit

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew valley, My time at Portia (both have combat, but it's hardly the focus).

Does it have to be games where you control a character? Why not some WiSims or Citybuilders? Anno 1800 is great.

Also good choices! I'm very much a pacifist when it comes to e.g. Civ and would tend to prefer games where you work towards building and supporting systems, then try to deal with creep.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
In the Groove 2

Rhythm games in general dominate this category for me. EBA/Ouendan, Beatmania IIDX, Rock Band series, Project Diva series are also up there.

Oct 29, 2017
Spelling Bee/Not That Spelling Bee, in the NYT Crossword and on Google Play, respectively.

You get 7 letters, and have to make as many words as possible that include one of the letters (located in the middle of the "honeycomb"). You get a huge point bonus if you find the words containing all the letters.

I have been playing everyday since I heard about it a few months back.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Life is Strange is what you're looking for :)

Just make sure to pick the right ending or it's a perm for you!!

(I kid...mostly)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if THPS counts since you can fall on your fucking face and stuff

if not, it's Tetris DS and Pokemon Puzzle League

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
People who think Tetris and puzzle games are not violent hasn't been on the competitive side of it. I have been in tournaments with Marvel 2 trashtalk levels, heh.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Spelling Bee/Not That Spelling Bee, in the NYT Crossword and on Google Play, respectively.

You get 7 letters, and have to make as many words as possible that include one of the letters (located in the middle of the "honeycomb"). You get a huge point bonus if you find the words containing all the letters.

I have been playing everyday since I heard about it a few months back.
Oh dear, gonna be playing this a lot. Bummer you only get like 12 words on the NYT one without a subscription as I'd rather play on my laptop than phone, but I can deal.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A few favourites of mine:

The Incredible Machine series
LucasArts adventure games (particularly Sam & Max Hit The Road, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1-3)
Bit.Trip Runner series
Super Monkey Ball 1-2 (especially Monkey Target & Monkey Bowling in party mode!!)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2-3 (wasn't a big fan of 1 or 4)
Forza Horizon 4
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Poly Bridge
Elasto Mania
Phoenix Wright series (cases do involve violent acts but it's not a gameplay element)
Dirt Rally 2.0
Knytt series (Knytt, Within a Deep Forest, Knytt Stories, Knytt Underground)
The Golf Club 2019
Cities: Skylines
Fez
Everyday Genius: Square Logic
The Stanley Parable

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The puzzle, rhythm, adventure, and sim/management genres definitely stand out in this area. Also sports, but sports games... Eh.

Tetris, Puzzle League, The Witness. Amusingly, Puyo Puyo probably doesn't count as non-violent.
Dance Dance Revolution, Project Diva, Oendan / Elite Beat Agents.
Her Story, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Tokimeki Memorial.
Harvest Moon, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sim City.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Death Stranding from an AAA standpoint. Love Kojimas design philosophy regarding what he did with MGS and now Death Stranding. Violence doesn't excite him, so I found Death Stranding refreshing and therapeutic.

Give us more diverse AAA gaming experiences to combat the AAA dark, violent, and visceral ones.

OP
OP
8bit

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
A few favourites of mine:

The Incredible Machine series
LucasArts adventure games (particularly Sam & Max Hit The Road, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1-3)
Bit.Trip Runner series
Super Monkey Ball 1-2 (especially Monkey Target & Monkey Bowling in party mode!!)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2-3 (wasn't a big fan of 1 or 4)
Forza Horizon 4
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Poly Bridge
Elasto Mania
Phoenix Wright series (cases do involve violent acts but it's not a gameplay element)
Dirt Rally 2.0
Knytt series (Knytt, Within a Deep Forest, Knytt Stories, Knytt Underground)
The Golf Club 2019
Cities: Skylines
Fez
Everyday Genius: Square Logic
The Stanley Parable

I adore the Monkey Ball games, well maybe not the ones after 1 & 2 but they are great choices.

The Stanley Parable is a also a good one, loved that and the beginner's guide.

PC player here. Assuming the console version is the same, if you're interested in having another crack at it, check out Scott Manley's KSP tutorials on Youtube. I found them invaluable when I started.

Noted, thanks!

Death Stranding from an AAA standpoint. Love Kojimas design philosophy regarding what he did with MGS and now Death Stranding. Violence doesn't excite him, so I found Death Stranding refreshing and therapeutic.

Give us more diverse AAA gaming experiences to combat the AAA dark, violent, and visceral ones.

There is a lot I like about Death Stranding but it does get a bit silly.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If rolling up animals and humans into a ball and continuing to roll over them isn't violent then Katamari series it is. Considering how happy the people sound when they get rolled up I'll say they consider it a ride.

Couple that with the absurd story and absolutely delightful music and you've got a great chill game that just happens to be fantastic as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (if you avoid punching people). Or the classic Monkey Island games.

Animal Crossing is a good modern game, though.