• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So with the proliferation of photomodes and photo-sharing on consoles, we've entered a golden age of user created screenshots. What used to be the domain of PC gaming has become widespread, and now pretty much anybody can scratch that photography bug in several digital worlds.

I think it'd be cool to highlight some of the screenshots that this community has created over the years. I picture this thread being loose as far as listing what game/system your screenshot is from, but please limit your selection to a single screenshot that you've personally taken (I did say favorite, not favorites). If you want to tell a little bit about the screenshot too, that's fair game.

I'll start it off with my contribution, from Horizon: Zero Dawn.
CI4YlW5.png

I loved this game dearly, and that this shot was possible without any filters or photoshop endears me to the game even more. It almost appears to be from a completely different game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you need to go to the bathroom but all of the toilets are left unflushed.

A25A19233364F5F2D0E6DF1446D36843D2B0F7EE

It's from Fallout New Vegas and I had to kill this bureaucratic old hag to save someone. Had to hide the body before anyone noticed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've always felt this looked like concept art that Gameinformer would use for their front and back cover spread.

ps_messages_20180517_1xitq.jpg

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Arkham City

That's one good looking moon, I just wish there was more of the city in the shot and less of the water.

8929446925_89b558dd17_o.png

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played it in a bit, but most of them come from Elite Dangerous. A couple of took on my journeys.

B7C0A83E7A668E3D1AE7E08C151E847A96100374

7DA4C23B2361B3ECD0905418EA6B8E2E75737C87

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this thread will be good. I might dig through mine later. 90% certain it'll be from Horizon Zero Dawn.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
We had a really unflattering photo of the noodle otaku in FFXV
What made it amazing is the option to choose your most meaningful photo, and anyone whose played it knows the rest.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing particularly great about it, but I returned to the game after something drew my attention away long enough for Jill to perform this idle animation and I just thought the framing of the scene looked kinda cool.

qfDyC3y.jpg

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I have a ton of favorites that I've printed and hung in my room, guess I'll pick this one.

k7x32O2.jpg

Last edited:

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it in a bit, but most of them come from Elite Dangerous. A couple of took on my journeys

I have a ton of favorites that I've printed and hung in my room but these are a few of them.

Recently, my BatMario shot from Super Mario Odyssey:

I like the way this one from GT Sport turned out:

And a silly one from Horizon Zero Dawn (lots of clipping and missing geometry issues in this game, but I do love the lighting):

op says a single shot

but please limit your selection to a single screenshot that you've personally taken (I did say favorite, not favorites).

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
p8MrL0a.jpg

Goes along great with my Giant Bomb slash fan fiction, lol

lol, I couldn't really find anything in my screenshots that were any good, I just wanted an excuse to post this

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wish more games I played had photo modes. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls 3 are great examples of beautiful games with no photo option aside from turning the HUD off.

Gravity Rush 2 had a photo mode, though. A literal photo mode, since you were taking Polaroids, basically. This is by far my favorite:

20180101_0644_1509827moieq.jpg

Slightly scaled down to make it come out better.

Yes that's a 2B outfit.

Edit: Hadn't read the OP well enough. Removed the MHW screenshot.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just one pic is tough, I boiled it down to Pikmin 3 because they were easily the most fun for me to take and I've got a lot of dynamic snaps
But this one here which may not look like much was actually an incredibly lucky shot
h3TmyBe.jpg

Brittany in a bubble, viewed...through another bubble

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
I wish more games I played had photo modes. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls 3 are great examples of beautiful games with no photo option aside from turning the HUD off.

Gravity Rush 2 had a photo mode, though. A literal photo mode, since you were taking Polaroids, basically. This is by far my favorite:

20180101_0644_1509827moieq.jpg

Slightly scaled down to make it come out better.

Yes that's a 2B outfit.

From Monster Hunter World, I really like this one. Not that impressive from an artistic standpoint, but it was one of those moments where everything came together in the worst possible way:

monsterhunter_world_2zgdxy.jpg

Bazelgeuse (middle) was just landing, Black Diablos (right) screamed at it as she does at everything, and regular Diablos (left) had just spotted me.

Oh man I also made so many pictures in Gravity Rush 2, that game had a really good Photo Mode.

ᵃᶫˢᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ²ᴮ ᵒᵘᵗᶠᶦᵗ ᶦˢ ˢᵗᶦᶫᶫ ᵒᶰᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᶦᶰ ᵗʰᵉ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There's nothing particularly great about it, but I returned to the game after something drew my attention away long enough for Jill to perform this idle animation and I just thought the framing of the scene looked kinda cool.

qfDyC3y.jpg
This game makes me crave from-the-ground-up modern games that try using pre-rendered backgrounds that are either real photos or just top tier photorealistic 3D that's generations ahead while all the 3D rendering budget is spent on few characters to push current gen hardware way ahead of its usual capabilities.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Jun 4, 2018
4DD1D3904D7D85A6B29B1B645D020512814E1BF0

When Xenoverse 1 dropped in 2015, I played it on PS4. Couldn't really get into it due to its performance not being spectacular. Booted it up on PC a year later and fell in love. Spent 85 hours with it in a single summer, the summer leading up to the release of Xenoverse 2. Stepping into Xenoverse 2 was so satisfying, because it was like closing one door and opening another. The weekend after its release, I was free, and played about 30+ hours in that two-day span. Exploring Conton was as magical as playing Dragon Ball Online for the first time. Still playing XV2 to this day. Looking forward to the next DLC pack, as well as what's to come in Xenoverse 3.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I have a ridiculous amount of sotc shots from the beautiful remake that I can't access right now; I may pick one and come back later. but for now, this was fun:

Djjqg-nUUAAIw9W.jpg:large

(also: my kingdom for a botw photo mode)

Aug 1, 2018
This isn't my screenshot, but I took one just like it and every time I look at it it makes me wish I could play Breath of the Wild for the first time again. At the time, I had no idea what I was really getting into and now, I've dumped like 400 hours into the game and I still am having a blast.

legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1-1.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
Probably this just for showing the amount of detail Evolution put in to DRIVECLUB, if it wasn't for the low res reflection on the back screen I'd say that's pretty close to a photo in terms of lighting etc

DRIVECLUB20150120190.jpg

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
So damn hard to pick only one from Horizon Zero Dawn. I really liked the way this one turned out though.

36547764935_c9a868a609_o.png