• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favorite Bioware villain?

• Jon Irenicus

Votes: 29 17.3%
  • The Glorious Strategist

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Sovereign

Votes: 37 22.0%
  • Illusive Man

Votes: 50 29.8%
  • Loghain

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Arishock

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Two notes about the poll:

1. Because of the limited number of options I could only put 6 names and "others". I tried to pick the 6 based on what I think most votes will go, but I had to left a lot of great choices out. Sorry Harbinger.

2. I didn't put EA because it would win to easily.

Anyway, my choice is this guy:

latest

"Life... is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world. But is it what you want? You are... different inside. This woman lives and has strength of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should. And now she is dead. Her land will be divided, her children will move on, and she will be forgotten. She lived a good life, but she had no power; she was a slave to death"

"I... I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I have tried. I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory, but it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me, too. I look upon you and feel nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me, along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. And I... WILL... HAVE IT!!"

He is pretty cool. I think Baldur's Gate II does an excellent job of subtly building his character from the very start of the game. He is a particular combination of both things that you can understand and others that feel alien. He is competent, determined and has a brutal type of intelligence. And his disdain and hate for everything is gold. And of course, the voice acting is fantastic.

"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
You are missing the Dread Wolf. While the rest I found interesting, in a way, they were almost always the villains, or I expected them to be the villains.
The Dread Wolf and his betrayal during The Trespasser? Ugh!

I'm so looking forward to the next DA, hoping it revolves entirely around him and his work.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
There are two types of people:

People who choose Irenicus and people who haven't played Baldur's Gate II.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You are missing the Dread Wolf. While the rest I found interesting, in a way, they were almost always the villains, or I expected them to be the villains.

I'm so looking forward to the next DA, hoping it revolves entirely around him and his work.

Did you play Jade Empire? Anyway, as I mentioned in the OP there are many other villains that deserve to be the list. Not only major ones but smaller ones to. One of my favorites is actually Tela Vasir from LofSB DLC for ME2.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Solas the Dread Wolf.

I never quite liked him, no matter how naive and compassionate he tried to be seem to "fit" in. But he was really well developed with a few surprises.

I do love how verbally composed he was and his ability to study every corner of the Fade and befriend demons of all kinds.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
While cliche, Irenicus is by far the best utilized and written villain. All the rest have some massive holes that prevent them from reaching his level. Solas could be it, but not until DA4 relalizes that potential.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Arishok over Solas ? Really OP ?

Trespasser finale is easily one of the best moment in the series.

"I would treasure the chance to be wrong once again, my friend" is still one of my favorite villain quote.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Arishok over Solas ? Really OP ?

Trespasser finale is easily one of the best moment in the series.

"I would treasure the chance to be wrong once again, my friend" is still one of my favorite villain quote.

It seems I overestimate the Arishock because of my personal bias. I do like him a lot. I was going to chage the poll since he had no votes but alas I can't.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll vote for the Glorious Strategist, if only for my love of elderly martial arts villains and elaborate decades-long plans.

Throughout the whole game people note that there's something strangely unique about the protaganist's fighting style that gives them an edge, and you expect it to be part of the usual "Chosen One with special powers" thing. The reveal that it was a deliberate subtle flaw ingrained into your technique by your master from a young age so he can exploit it to instantly kill you is legit one of my favourite twists in any Bioware game.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Illusive Man was an interesting character, I wish they'd found a way to keep him as a morally ambiguous antagonist instead of just getting indoctrinated and turning into a nutjob puppet for the Reapers.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The fact that people put the Illusive Man even though they completely butchered Cerberus in ME3 is a testament to Martin Sheen's voice acting.

Personally I like Loghain the best, dude was clearly a villain but also clearly a human being.

Edit: Oh wait, Solas. Duh.

May 26, 2018
Motherfuckin'
Solas. Up until this month I would've picked someone else, but Solas took that spot. Can't wait to see what they do with him.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Casey-Hudson-Joins-MS.jpg

Saren/Sovereign, probably
Fuck. I laughed.

Mine is Saren, objectively :P
He has the archetype of a villain, he does cruel stuff and he is a perfect antithesis to Shepard, having the same rank and all, but with more privilege and bias on his side, but his actions ultimately undo his own "humanity" for the lack of a better word (I refuse to say Turianity) and he's also sympathetic all the same, once you realize he isn't even fully in control of his recent actions.

However!

I voted for The Illusive Man, but I won't honor it with a writeup because I think even making him an "antagonist" was a mistake. I'm of course only talking about ME3's depiction of him when I say that.

Ok...
JUST KIDDING, this is the real villain:
Lots of speculation from everyone!
5GzhmAA.png

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The Illusive Man was an interesting character, I wish they'd found a way to keep him as a morally ambiguous antagonist instead of just getting indoctrinated and turning into a nutjob puppet for the Reapers.
Wouldn't have minded playing around with indoctrination, as much as being a Saren 2.0 sucked, if only it wouldn't have been a weak excuse to make him talk in nonsense the entire game. Almost nothing he says in Mass Effect 3 has any substance. It's just him and Shepard going back and forth "I think we should destroy them -- NO, I think we can control them!" for no reason, because it's never established at any point prior to the endings that any such idea is even feasible. Complete waste imo, but at least the acting is there and on a certain conceptual level I liked most of it, just not the quality of the writing itself. It was a complete throwaway job.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

Yea this would have been my vote! Best ending, need more

Mar 9, 2018
I think Solas isn't up there to make it fairer for everyone else.

The real question is why the Arishok is up there and the Architect isn't.

Jan 4, 2018
Voting Sovereign but it's really Saren.

EDIT: I GOTTA give a shout out to Solas, though. DA4 could edge him out as #1 depending on how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.