• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hollow Knight is a perfect example of utterly garbage mainstream gaming media is at reviewing any Indies not on consoles. Hollow Knight blew up on word of mouth and sales long way before the Switch port announcement, but most places only started covering and reviewing the game after that
The willful ignorance towards PC gaming from mainstream games media is probably my biggest gripe with them. It's shameful.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
About FMF, the problems were:
-The name
-Coop game that is not simple
-Its a brawler...that have a lot of puzzles elements
-Has a lot of plot that they didnt marketed about
-Trying to make a plot heavy, cooperative brawler with a focus on puzzle yeah, thats hard to sell, even more as a indie game.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Guacamelee 1 but for some reason couldn't bother with 2, in part because it looked the same and also because there was not much buzz on the internet for the game.

At this point time is so limited and there are so many games that besides some few exceptions where I'm 100% sure that I know what I'm going into, I totally depend on Word of mouth and games becoming trends

Aug 29, 2018
Played and loved full metal furies, but found the general style outside of pixel work and especially writing to be off putting. The writing in particular feels amateur in a way that I accepted because everything else is great but nothing lands imo, and it is pretty....I mean there IS a lot of it

As for pit people looks great, wish I could play it but not on my console, for an exclusive the thing seemed to get absolutely no marketing

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Probably been posted in this thread already but this article on why FMF failed was really eye-opening: https://www.destructoid.com/why-is-...idered-a-pretty-massive-failure--487156.phtml

I personally didn't play it because it was on Xbox and not PS4 and I wanted local multiplayer(don't have my PC set up somewhere that's conducive to that).

That said my boyfriend has an Xbox and I've played it since, game is super fucking fun. The shield girl is by far my favorite.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
How does the puzzle aspect in Full Metal Furies work? It interests me, as usually, brawlers get very boring very fast for me.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
ITT: people can't read, LOL.

Indie devs read this board and they read GAF. I'm pretty sure they're aware of the bias against furries, so I guess they know better than to put that word in their game's title. Yet see how many people just ITT misread that.

I guess having made a name for yourself in the indie tier isn't enough to make people interested in your every project. Let's be real here, even if your game struck gold, you're not a Rockstar or Naughty Dog all of a sudden. And if your next project has the number 2 in it, can't really blame people to think it's just more of the same in an overcrowded market. It would/will be interesting to see the reaction to a Hollow Knight 2, or a Shovel Knight 2, as they're the current hot names in the indie space.

As good as they may be, indies are still widely considered their own world in this market. And they're still competing with much bigger, widely more publicized releases. Can't really fault people for sleeping on La-Mulana 2 or Guacamelee 2 this year. La-Mulana especially, you can't expect that to set the market on fire.

And when Nintendo's faulty online service gets many more threads and posts than the most anticipated indie games of the year from proven devs, you know where the people's attention is, anyway.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maybe in some cases its because the game itself is known more than the develper. so a new game just doesn't get as much attention

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's a combination of:

Oversaturation. There's too many games in general. I feel like every platform has at least one interesting indie game every week. It's hard to keep up.

And some of the devs attempting more niche-y genres. At least I think Castle Crashers and Bastion had more universal appeal than Pit People and Pyre.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh... A completely new indie developer with a new game that sold over a 100,000 copies in under two months would be a success story.
Not long after launch, I suppose within the first month (?) I remember reading about how it wasn't selling very well. That's what I was referring to. It picked up, like I said.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't in a Nintendo Direct, or doesn't have a good marketing campaign here on Era, there's basically no chance that I will buy it. That's just the way it is, I think, for a lot of people. If you don't have actual gameplay shown to you, all you're looking at is a list of the names of 10-20 new releases and their icon. What about the Full Metal Furies name or icon is supposed to make me give it a second look?

Take Golf Story, for example. The name and icon make it look like any number of shovelware golf games that release for every system. I never would have even thought of buying it if it hadn't been for the Direct that it was featured in, and the subsequent Era thread that had a critical mass of people saying basically "yes, this is a good game, and not shovelware." Most releases don't have that going for them.

I'm no expert, but I agree with the person who said way earlier in the thread that it seems one of the keys today is getting Nintendo to notice your game.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era is the same site that lost their collective shit over Switch icons. You really think that they would see the name of FMF and not immediately scoff at it?

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure Pit People bombed, but Below seem to actively want to damage its chances. Being stuck in development for multiple extra years, and then randomly with little notice releasing in mid December...why? Why not even just wait until January?

Loved Rogue Legacy, but had lukewarm interest for Full Metal Furies. Title never bothered me, just no major element of the gameplay felt as unique as Rogue Legacy continuing your family line of random diseased people.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How does the puzzle aspect in Full Metal Furies work? It interests me, as usually, brawlers get very boring very fast for me.

At the end of every world there are computers that you need to put a code in.
Through the world there are hidden tablets that helps you to find the clues to solve it.
It starts simple like this code is based on this letter and you find the code and reaches "translates morse code" levels of out of box puzzle solving