MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
It's funny you bring up Hybrid Heaven here, because the screenshots on the back of its box look different from the final game, too.

76531-hybrid-heaven-nintendo-64-back-cover.jpg

Oh 4.5 and double thumbs up for the fun factor from GamePro. I never had a chance to play Hybrid Heaven. I wonder if the game live's up to the GamePro hype?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh 4.5 and double thumbs up for the fun factor from GamePro. I never had a chance to play Hybrid Heaven. I wonder if the game live's up to the GamePro hype?
The gameplay had a lot of really interesting ideas, and I liked it, at least. Having to level up the strength of your individual limbs and learn moves by having them performed on you was something I had never experienced in an action game or action RPG before.

The only thing that I really hated was that the game requires an external save pack. There's no battery in the cartridge.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I did a google search of MSG Pc and found the exact shot. Maybe a shot from the old PC build or a modded version of it.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

-edit-
I guess people forgot it had a PC port?
Amusingly, I stumbled upon my PC copy of MGS (as well as my PC copy of The Typing of the Dead) a few days ago, and I was thinking back to the last time that I tried to get it working on a modern version of Windows. I just now did a bit of research, and it does seem as though there's been some work done by fans to make it easier to get up and running, but nothing in the way of texture improvements as far as I can tell. In either case, it's hard for me to recommend the PC port of the game. I don't think it has any way of detecting other Konami games that would've been released on PC, so the Psycho Mantis scene isn't as interesting. (I can't remember how changing the controller ports worked. Maybe you had to switch to keyboard controls or something.) Also, there was a really annoying FAMAS bug that caused Snake to just shoot straight up at the ceiling during the scene in which you have to run up the stairs in the tower. (Amusingly, that led me to discover the easier way of playing through this by using stun grenades.)

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I did a google search of MSG Pc and found the exact shot. Maybe a shot from the old PC build or a modded version of it.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

-edit-
I guess people forgot it had a PC port?
It would make sense, but I've read that Kojima went with the feature-less design early on in the game's dev cycle as he knew it would age badly/the tech wasn't there just yet. Maybe just a Konami bullshot?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It would make sense, but I've read that Kojima went with the feature-less design early on in the game's dev cycle as he knew it would age badly/the tech wasn't there just yet. Maybe just a Konami bullshot?

The quote from the port team sounds to me like Kojima tried it himself and knew that it wouldn't work, though that's literally me reading into something that wasn't said. As ambitious as Kojima is though I fully expect him to have tried more defined eyes before realizing that it wouldn't work.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to Reddit, the screenshot is from a beta build of the game where one of the members of the port team added the face texture but Kojima said to remove it because it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the game. No source was given.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
History's first bullshot.

No, the first bullshots would have to be the shots on the back of early computer games that often showed a completely different version of the game than what was in the box. This was especially a problem with Apple IIe games, which routinely had C64 or Atari ST shots on the boxes.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
According to Reddit, the screenshot is from a beta build of the game where one of the members of the port team added the face texture but Kojima said to remove it because it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the game. No source was given.
Still, how did a picture of that build get out into official publications. What a weird history.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I took a look at this. Here's the actual picture.

The only known source for it is the MGS1 Integral (PC version) Amazon page. But MGS1 Integral doesn't look like that at all. Gameinformer seems to have nabbed it from Amazon in their article about MGS1 PC too, because the reddit source doesn't have any screenshot like this.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

I'm stumped

It seems like all of the textures on the model are higher-res. Even the bandana has additional detail not in the game.
mgs1-screen2.jpg

It's almost like an early PS2 version of MGS1.

GeNoMe

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty weird, never seen that face texture before. Imo it's like this, if there's no footage to be found with snake wearing that face then it has to be a promo bullshot.
It doesn't fit the game at all and makes Snake look like Gabe Logan or something.
latest

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I feel like there's a thread in the making here in the vein of the MGS5 Italian doctor thread.

Bet Kojima planned this all the way back, having that screenshot made just for this.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Looking it up. There's multiple articles made during the PC Port's development mentioning improved textures.

Gamespot.co.uk said:
Of course with the PC's superior graphics and processing capabilities you'd expect a little bit more for your money and the enhanced character textures and higher screen resolutions might even tempt PlayStation owners.
mgspc.com said:
Graphics: The graphic quality of the game as a whole has been improved. MGS for the PC offers the user multiple resolution support up to 1024*768, this alone will improve the sharpness and definition on the PC well above that of the PSx version.

Textures for structures and some body suits have been improved, giving the game a fresher look. Add to this all the features that having native support for DirectX compatible accelerators allows; Bi-linear filtering, multi-texturing, Sub Pixel Accuracy and even perspective correction. These all add up to give a smoother, less popping experience then that offered on the Playstation.

Combined with this forum post from one of the devs. It's clear that the port was initially planned to add improved textures, but they were removed late in development.
mgspc.com said:
I worked on the port of MGS to PC back in 1999-2000. Here is what I've learned:

- Models were not "skinned" as it was popular in the day. Some textures were covering only the front part of the body, others arms, etc. As such it was possible to use very little colors per texture (16) and use palettes (which is a very small "texture" in the graphics memory). If models were skinned they would've required all the colors used anywhere on the body, and would produce other unpleasant effects (different sampling frequency, especially on the shoulders, etc.) Konami's character modeling is top-notch.

- Music/Sound - this was enignma for us. We were never given their internal sound mixer, but the popular metal gear tune was "mod"-like with very short samples - all of this + game effects was fitting in a 512kb audio buffer (adpcm).

- Game used overlays for the executable part. About 600kb were a main/shared/common part, and if I'm not mistaken 100kb or a bit more were swapped (the overlay). The main part would declare entry-points to be reached, and the "swapped" overlay were like many .so/.dylib/.dll files that knew about the main part.

- TCL-like language was used to script the game, the radio, traps/objects in the game, etc. Each character would have a "main" like function that accepted (int argc, const char argv[]) and handled the arguments from there (these were directly from the TCL scripts). Ah, the whole thing used "C" only.

- So 600kb+100kb, leaves you about 1.0mb for objects, "scenerio" files to be loaded, etc. Since our port was more or less "wrap" the PSX libs as PC, we didn't have to change too much, just on the surface - a bit like patching here and there.

- The game used a tricky pointer hack, basically on the PSX accessing a pointer with the highest-24-bit set means read it from the CPU cache, otherwise not (or maybe the other way around). This was used for example to indicate whether the C4 bomb was planted on the ground, or on the wall instead of keeping a booblean/bit flag for it. Possibly was used for some more things. Since it was 24-bit, that meant 16mb.

To work on Windows we had to ensure that we don't go above the 16mb (and the exe starts from 4MB), we also had all overlays for the game compiled-in rather than doing the swapping as the game did, but we had plenty of space even then to fit. It's possible that we might've messed up some of the AI tweaks, but no one complained, and we were young and did not care. Then I had something to find all places where these pointers were used and mask them out when they had to be read, but kept the 24-bit highest bit in there (okay, it's a bit like tagging I've learned much later when I did some Common Lisp).

- As we couldn't do shit about having the original mod-music working, we relied on couple of then popular MGS web-sites and "stole" from them the whole music piece, and other things which came as an audio "pre-rendered" form, and then played them directly from our game. Ah... So embarrased!

- On my part I'm really proud that I was able to do a global-hack where I kept the fixed-point coordinates sub-pixel precision, so our PC port did not "tremble" or "shake" like others to come. Basically on the PSX when you draw a triangle, the "chip" makes all numbers integer pixels, and each vertex "sticks" to a concrete pixel - this makes "shimmering" like feature, and I was able to get around it.

- The other team-mates were able to get software/hardware renderring (directx I think 3, or was it 5?...). Konami used quite a lot of rendering trick that were not available back then. For example the camo-suit basically used the framebuffer as texture, from the location where the character was rendered - so it looked a bit like shimmering!

- Two lessons learned from it - We've put much better high-res textures for the eyes (hired someone from Texas to do it for us), when we got the idea rejected by Hideo himself (by the phone), he told us (through the interpretter) that the game during normal game-play did not have any eye-movement, so higher-res textures would look like crap, while with a blurry texture your own eyes won't see it as a problem - it's really sometimes LESS is better.

- Another was from my boss back then. We had to have a very strict frame-rate - I thnink 30fps otherwise some things were not properly emulated. On some older machines we had the fps going below 15fps, due to the actual renderering, not game code - and since he had experience, he simply said - we'll just skip the drawing of frame then to gain some time. Now that seemed like thing that it should not work, but it did - and saved us from trying to do a non-constant frame-rate hacks.