Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
The latest issue of the games™ magazine came with a supplement featuring their top 200 games of all time. The second place is, in fact, occupied by Metal Gear Solid 1. And there's something wrong about the way Solid Snake looks in the screenshot:
DeUeCPrWAAAnQzt.jpg

It's like the photoshopped Sylvester Stallone's face onto Snake! This is how proper MGS1 Snake looks like:

MGS1-Snake-Cheating-Death.jpg

And it's not Twin Snakes, either. That version of Snake looked like that:

mgs_tts___solid_snake_face.png

So what happened? Where did they get that apparent bullshot from and why?

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just a different face texture, likely from an early build. A LOT of stuff changed from the game's release to the final version.

Notice that the radar in the screenshot is not functioning correctly either.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a screenshot released while the game was in development and they made changes to Snake before it came out?

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
That looks like the EGM? I read an issue in 96 or 97 that had some previews. Some of the cut scenes appeared to be CGI, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Possibly on the DEV kit they had more ram and tried out such a detailed face texture before they realized that they cant animate the lips when talking. Looks a lot like perfect dark to be honest.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have never seen a screen like this, and it is waayyyyyyyyyy too high quality to be any early footage, I don't think any known build had Snake with distinct eyes

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima originally wanted Sylvester stallone for the role but had to wait 20 years to settle with Jack Bauer.
That's what I heard?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if they ever tried a Shinkawa art style model for MGS1 like they did in those unused MGS2 models.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I took a look at this. Here's the actual picture.

The only known source for it is the MGS1 Integral (PC version) Amazon page. But MGS1 Integral doesn't look like that at all. Gameinformer seems to have nabbed it from Amazon in their article about MGS1 PC too, because the reddit source doesn't have any screenshot like this.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

I'm stumped

OP
OP
Tenrius

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I took a look at this. Here's the actual picture.

The only known source for it is the MGS1 Integral (PC version) Amazon page. But MGS1 Integral doesn't look like that at all. Gameinformer seems to have nabbed it from Amazon in their article about MGS1 PC too, because the reddit source doesn't have any screenshot like this.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

I'm stumped
Maybe it's a promo shot made specifically for the PC version? Sounds kinda unlikely, but I don't see another explanation

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Downgrade gate for MGS1, 20 years later
Would have been amazing if Snake's face looked that good though

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
mgs12-1366657377.jpg

Ok this is wack

My only theory is that there is a fanmade retexturing for the PC version that was lost to the void and someone drew the textures to put a new face for Solid Snake. Maybe some obscure russian mod.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I did a google search of MSG Pc and found the exact shot. Maybe a shot from the old PC build or a modded version of it.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

-edit-
I guess people forgot it had a PC port?

Dec 15, 2017
I kinda like it, was probably too detailed for PS1, so thats why we got the iconic Snake face we did that looks like he has a mask on.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is on the level of the Berenstein/Berenstain Bears Alternate Reality Theory, folks.

I mean, I know Snake never had eyes on his MGS1 character model but it's so bizarre that this was ever a thing.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The PC port doesn't look like that.
Yeah my post went up before I saw yours and I made that edit not seeing that you already found the photo. I was more making reference to the early post not noting a PC release of the game and I really could not recall what he looked like in the game (I just remember some changes to a few scenes and textures were made to the pc port).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah my post went up before I saw yours and I made that edit not seeing that you already found the photo. I was more making reference to the early post not noting a PC release of the game and I really could not recall what he looked like in the game (I just remember some changes to a few scenes and textures were made to the pc port).

Yeah, my first thought was that it was maybe Bleem!, the dreamcast emulator. That or I stepped into an alternate reality, lol

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I've always loved the darkened out eyes art style of MGS1. It neatly side-steps the vacant doll eyes that "realistic" looking games from that era had.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shiiiit, a whole new mystery for MGS1 so many years later. Even though I have a huge soft spot for the normal faces that detailed face model actually looks quite good imo.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Looks like early concept screenshot the magazine grabbed. I would assume Kojima wanted full detailed faces on the models, but in the end left them less detailed. It does look weird when you first boot the game, but after a couple of cutscenes you don't even think about it honestly.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I did a google search of MSG Pc and found the exact shot. Maybe a shot from the old PC build or a modded version of it.

41WVZHME9BL.jpg

-edit-
I guess people forgot it had a PC port?

It seems unlikely that an OLD PC build would have better face textures? Could be modded, or maybe they ran into issues with higher quality textures running smoothly.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
He wanted Stallone for Snake and Kurt Russell for Big Boss?
MGS4 could have been the Tango and Cash sequel we always dreamed of.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It seems unlikely that an OLD PC build would have better face textures? Could be modded, or maybe they ran into issues with higher quality textures running smoothly.

I can explain this, I think. Look at this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...teresting_details_on_how_the_mgs_pc_port_was/

• Two lessons learned from it - We've put much better high-res textures for the eyes (hired someone from Texas to do it for us), when we got the idea rejected by Hideo himself (by the phone), he told us (through the interpretter) that the game during normal game-play did not have any eye-movement, so higher-res textures would look like crap, while with a blurry texture your own eyes won't see it as a problem - it's really sometimes LESS is better.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was gonna be that screenshot before even clicking on the thread lol. Solid Stallone is the Mystery Kong of Metal Gear.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I thought OP was gonna post that screenshot one where Snake was blonde before he dyed his hair so that people wouldn't confuse him with Liquid Snake.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if KojiPro made more realistic faces with eyes for the characters at some point but then decided to scrap it. Having these realistic looking faces without any sort of facial animation would look pretty wonky, so they opted for a more stylistic approach.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very early version from when it was some kind of behind the should on rails game.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
It might actually have been physically drawn on, as a kind of "This is what we anticipate the game will look like" pre-release shot.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This article is dated 2000 and has the same picture (can't vouch for the safety of your browser) http://gamesurf.tiscali.it/anteprima/metal-gear-solid-c5445.html?p=4

Yeah, I might be wrong about my theory. This might be some beta pictures of Metal Gear Solid Integral on PC. Why no one knew about them before eludes me

Using Google translate, that article is a preview for the PC port. I think this paragraph pretty much confirms that this image is from preview build screenshots:

English Translation from: https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://gamesurf.tiscali.it/anteprima/metal-gear-solid-c5445.html&edit-text=

The porting is about Metal Gear Solid Integral, a posthumous reissue of the game released in Japan and, although "dismembered", in the rest of the world. This means that all options will be available immediately, including the possibility to play in person, and the 300 training missions. In addition to this, certain data do not have any. The software house, of course, speaks of high resolution, better textures and greatly improved graphics. Only the final version can, however, remove the doubt of finding ourselves faced with a simple re-adaptation of a graphics engine that on PSX was a small masterpiece, but that on pc would not be definitely in step with the times

The team responsible for the PC port did say that this version would have better textures. But as you posted in your last post, Hideo didn't like the changes and told them to keep the assets from the original game. This preview is from September 2000, the game was released in October 2000.

Last edited: