• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Probably at Burger King when I was 17 (typical teenage slacker job), I still have the burn marks from the fryers.

Software QA. Boring, dead end job, low pay.

Where I'm at now except I'm a developer at some shit house startup. Dead end, low pay, mismanaged to all hell, dealing with older technology (desktop software). I'm learning web dev in my spare time to get the hell out of here.

My neglected github account just fucked me from getting a technical interview a week ago :(

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Where I'm at now except I'm a developer at some shit house startup. Dead end, low pay, mismanaged to all hell, dealing with older technology (desktop software). I'm learning web dev in my spare time to get the hell out of here.

The company I used to work at even moved from Arizona to Tennessee so they could lower wages and avoid the upcoming minimum wage hike. Currently they're advertising jobs starting at $9.50 an hour. LOL when I worked there it was all grown adults trying to support themselves on that kind of wage. Even in Tennessee I don't think you can do that on $9.50/hr.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Call centre where you had to literally read from a script and say the same thing the whole time. Boring, dead end job with no prospects or skills you could use to better yourself. Also they treated you like a child and didn't trust you to actually do your work, so they blocked the majority of websites you could visit whilst there was downtime. Lasted a few months doing that. I had enough one day, put in my notice and left. Some new starters who started with me literally left after training, that's how bad it was. Also there was a guy who did training for 4 days and just left, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Telesales job just after leaving school. I only lasted two hours.

Angry man on the other end of the phone went crazy at me, threatening to burn my house down and murder my family all because I disturbed him from eating his dinner.

I gave him 10 minutes to finish eating before phoning him back just to call him a cunt.

Got fired on the spot.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
The company I used to work at even moved from Arizona to Tennessee so they could lower wages and avoid the upcoming minimum wage hike. Currently they're advertising jobs starting at $9.50 an hour. LOL when I worked there it was all grown adults trying to support themselves on that kind of wage. Even in Tennessee I don't think you can do that on $9.50/hr.

Companies like that are the ones screaming the loudest about H1-B visa restrictions. "See? See? We just can't find anyone!!1". I'm amazed that place is even in business.

If you lived in bumfuck nowhere Tennessee extremely modestly, maybe. Somewhere you actually want to live like Nashville? Ah hell naw.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
it's nearly 20 years ago but I worked as a buys/loans officer in a pawn-broker for about a year in 1999. Fucking awful experience. Lost souls, thieves, addicts, grumpy fuckers and more.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked at McDonalds from '92-'93 as my first real job. My location was run amazingly well. You could eat off the floors there. Cleaning seemed like 1/2 the job. No one ever messed with the food like you described. It comes down to management. Our manager, whom everybody loved to hate, won a Ray Kroc award years later (given to the top 1% of store managers every year).
Yeah my wife worked at a well run one. This guy in particular was considered the slum lord of fast food. All his places were trash.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Hav
Softlines (clothing) at Target.

So many people pee in the fitting rooms.

Crazy to think how far I've come from retail...

I worked at a Target for a few years, and I've heard stories from some of my co-workers. Bodily fluids are fairly normal in the clothing department of retail stores, unfortunately.

For me, call center for the Red Cross. Cold calling people to try and get them to schedule donations. Call centers are terrible, and can really make you feel demoralized and defeated. It was good hours and decent pay at the time, but I stopped showing up after two weeks.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
I took a job in a new city with an IT consulting firm. The owner was the only other employee, and he worked another full time job. He was a complete cunt in every way. I walked into a system with 300 unaddressed tickets and 80 in various stages of whatever. I worked a 12 hour day, then a 16 hour day while he was fucking off at his other job. Learned about his money issues as we drove to a site well after my 8 hour work day was up. It was my first job in the industry and he was incredibly belittling the whole time. I walked out on the third day after he explained something once and left the office. I wrote a resignation letter and put my key under the door as after I locked up. Fuck that guy.

Last edited:

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Phone marketing, McDonalds, moving company that emptied big warehouses (no masks, no protective clothing etc). Can't decide which one was the most depressing :b

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
one time I accepted a temp job that was like a 2 month deal not knowing what it was, when I showed up the guy walked us into a warehouse full of thousands of car tires. for the next two months I used an air gun to pump studs into those tires so that tire stores in the area could sell them for winter. eight hours a day for 2 months, studding tires.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
KFC (first job) was always the worst. Never had to argue with customers like I did in that job. People arguing that it's my fault we didn't sell a burger that was a promotional deal for only a month a year before I was even hired. And people wanting drinks that weren't even a part of theor order. Add to that one of the shift runners was a horroble person to work with and I was drained by the time I quit (place had a high turnover for a reason).

But in general I've found that it's the managers and their attitudes that can turn the job from the worst thing ever to the best.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful

Angry man on the other end of the phone went crazy at me, threatening to burn my house down and murder my family all because I disturbed him from eating his dinner.

I gave him 10 minutes to finish eating before phoning him back just to call him a cunt.

Got fired on the spot.
*salute*

That's how it's done.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Also I worked for a while at this circuit board factory, and I liked the job, but there was this stretch of just over a month right before the end of their fiscal year where we worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week in order to meet the end of year quotas. Was like 33 days straight of working 12 hours a day. I lived about ten miles away(about a 20 minute drive, not too bad), but there was a hotel right down the street from the factory that I was like "why do I go home every night, why not take up residency in that hotel until this shit is over?". Was exhausting, got mad overtime pay though.

RogerK

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Hauling hay bales over the summer as a teen. Sun up to sun down and was literally too exhausted to do anything else but sleep when I got home.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Good that you have a better job lined up. However, grocery/retail type jobs like that will pretty much always have people on the crew that will call out and come in late. Not that other jobs don't have that, but those are the types of jobs where when 1 person does it, they make it a pain in the ass for everyone else, because then they have to try to call in another person, or spread the work over fewer people, etc. It sucks, I know; I've had a few of those.

Anyway, my worst job was 1 day. It was a "marketing" company. Interview went well, and they called me in. On the first day, I learned that it was one of those jobs where you pack up your car with a bunch of crap, drive to various strip malls, walk around to the stores IN said strip malls, and try to sell the crap that's in your car. I learned this a bit too late. My "trainer" drove us from NJ to DE, where we hit our first strip mall.

If I had drove my own car, I would have seriously left immediately upon finding out what the job really involved. But, since I didn't, I walked around all day, selling nothing, and didn't come back the next day.

There is a scary amount of businesses that basically just lie about the jobs they're offering. Had a situation like yours where I was offered a "office position", only to learn I'd be going door to door. Everything at this place was door sales, but they only advertised for office positions. I pressed the boss on it, basically telling him he was lying to people. He stone faced told me that it wasn't a sales position, because people were selling appointments, not a product.

These places basically prey on who are desperate to be employed.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
There is a scary amount of businesses that basically just lie about the jobs they're offering. Had a situation like yours where I was offered a "office position", only to learn I'd be going door to door. Everything at this place was door sales, but they only advertised for office positions. I pressed the boss on it, basically telling him he was lying to people. He stone faced told me that it wasn't a sales position, because people were selling appointments, not a product.

These places basically prey on who are desperate to be employed.

Yeah, that pretty much describes the situation exactly. I was told that it was "Marketing," and that there was a book of "clients," and that the company depended on repeat business. Turns out the "clients" were the stores in the strip malls, and the "repeat business" was the hope that the stores didn't kick you out for soliciting. And we did get kicked out of 2 stores. It was rather embarrassing.

But indeed, I took that job in the summer, after college graduation. Didn't have anything lined up (not for lack of trying), so that's what I did. I ended up calling my old boss from when I worked construction in the summers during college, and he told me I could go back there until I found something in my field, so I was glad for that.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Somehow working at Best Buy was way worse than any fast food job I ever took. I nail the interviews with the general manager who is apparently ecstatic to have me aboard. The careers website said that the position wasn't seasonal, but I was hired in September, so I ask him if the position is seasonal and he says no, it is permanent. I was thrown into a training room with a computer not set up to go to the training website so I had to find it myself. My trainer lost the login the company had set up for me so I had to call HR on my personal phone because the managers couldn't let me use theirs as a security risk and I couldn't just stand on the sales floor using a landline at the registers. Upon doing this, a manager spots me and yells at me for using my personal phone.

I'm given no login to the registers for the first three weeks. Two and a half weeks in the general manager calls me into their office and tells me that I need to make some kind of sale or they're going to fire me. I tell them I haven't been given a login yet and they respond with surprise. They investigate and it turns out that the employee I was shadowing was supposed to give me my register login but never did so that he could claim all the sales on his account instead. He receives no reprimand for this.

A short while later I still have not received any training whatsoever on sales and they have not even told me what Geek Squad Protection, or GSP, even was, but I was told that it needs to make up a certain percentage of the revenue I generate for the store. I ask every single customer if they'd like to sign up for it, some say yes, most say no. A manager calls me into the office and tells me my GSP shares have been abysmal and I need to start pushing it. I ask him what some decent techniques to sell GSP are and he says that's "not my fucking problem" and to go ask my trainer. My trainer quit two weeks ago. Upon telling him this, he shrugs and leaves.

At the end of my shift that day the same manager yells out my name and beckons me over with his finger like a proper douchebag. He logs into some sales thing on the register and looks at our statistics and we have the following conversation.

"...you had the highest GSP of any associate in the store today."
"I guess so, sir."
"What did you do? What did you change?"
"Nothing, sir."
"...Well, I don't know what I expected." He leaves.

The time is now the end of November. After a hectic Black Friday I check my schedule and see I have zero hours for the next two weeks. I wait through those two weeks - I was still in college so it's not like I wasn't busy - and I have to physically go to the store to check my schedule because my managers never set up a MyTLC account for me to use at home. I have zero hours. This repeats until the middle of January. Aside from Black Friday itself, I was still an employee of the store, but was being given zero hours. Mid January, the general manager calls my personal phone and asks me to come into the store to talk to him. I assume I'm being let go. I come in and wait an hour and a half next to the manager's office. The GM comes out for something else and sees me sitting there, and it's obvious he's forgotten I was supposed to be there. He tells me the store is too busy today and I should come back tomorrow. I come back the next day, wait another hour to meet with the GM, upon which he tells me my seasonal employment is over, but they're having a job fair in March if I'd like to re-apply for a permanent position.

I give him the most polite "we'll see!" I can through gritted teeth and head home, where I immediately applied to Chipotle where I eventually became a manager until I finished my degree.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I had to roam neighborhoods asking for donations for the DNC. They assigned me to a predominantly Republican neighborhood. I quit after 2 days.

Also got sucked into a pyramid scheme selling office supplies to businesses that had no interest in buying paper from some random dude wandering in off the street. The ad heavily implied I'd be sitting at a desk speaking with places we already had relationships with who were calling us to restock supplies. Instead I had to wander the streets harassing small businesses into buying overpriced shit.

Should have known better but both came at a time in my life I was broke and desperate. I would have taken any job.

Both were in Seattle which was plagued with shit like this because it was an expensive city filled with young people desperate to make rent.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Working as a caster at a polyurethane factory.

Because its urethane, it has to be kept sort-of warm. Which means you literally get these yellow buckets and you have to pour them into tiny little spaces to make wheels.

And wheels I would make. About 2000 a night. But when each table only makes 25 wheels, and they had one table break 1 week in, that was only 5 tables.

125 wheels a batch, and it would be about 45 minutes a batch.

It was the worst job ever. My hands would go numb every day because of the combo of the urethane and the release agent that we used

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
My first job was as a dishwasher. Place got shut down after a salmonella outbreak. The cooks were slobs. I was sick for a month and after they reopened I told them to stick it.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In an ideal world all the job losses coming in retail due to automation would be great if those displaced jobs existed in a different, less torturous industry, but they're not, at least not 1:1. Regardless, having worked in retail, I'm glad a lot of it is becoming automated. It is hell.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty lucky. The worst job I had wasn't because of the job but a health hazard in the building. The only staircase was rotting wood which I'm allergic to. Every time I went to work I would come home with a bad cold. At least it was part time and ended a couple of weeks after I figured out what was happening.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Graphic Artist back in the 1990s at a chickenshit place that had garage-sale quality Macintosh computers. What a joke!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My first job out of college was a computer help desk center for law firms. The so-called supervisors were a bunch of extreme hipsters who tried to yell at me whenever a call took longer than 3 minutes to solve. I almost punched them for talking to me like that, and should've quit on that day. But what did it was the managers and previously mentioned supervisors all taking July 4th off as "teambuilding" while not wanting to pay for the AC to be turned on along with no fans for the rest of the employees during a 95 degree day for 12 hours. I walked out and never came back.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Dock worker unloading trucks. 10 hour graveyard shifts. I remember blowing my nose into many white tissues -turning them black. This was in my 20s...and it still broke me.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't nearly as bad as everyone else's stories, but I was recently tasked with transcribing a 400 page product price list PDF, line by line, into an excel spreadsheet. You can imagine the tedium. took two weeks of almost constant data entry, which isn't even my job description.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Between my freshman and sophomore year in college, I took a job at the support call center for a computer maker. Worst 3 months ever. Between the angry customers and the fact that the call center was paid per call taken, leading to ever-increasing pressure to get callers off the phone quickly (which meant that problems almost never got fixed during the first call), I felt like I was swimming upstream while being pissed on between the hours of 3 and 11:30PM, 5 days a week. I got reprimanded by a superior for staying on a call too long, even though I actually fixed the person's problem.

They did have a Joust arcade machine in the break room though, so at least that part didn't suck. It also paid 2x the minimum wage, so it's not like the pay was shit, at least for a temp summer job.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Got fired on the spot.
I'm sorry, this just made my day.

So fucking crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
flipped burgers for mcdonalds for like 2 weeks. First job ever in highschool. The actual work wasn't too terrible, kind of cathartic actually. But my manager was a complete jerk. Never put me on the schedule during those 2 weeks, and always yelled at me for wearing black jeans instead of black slacks lol. what a joke.

I just left mid shit one day and never returned. (well i did return a couple months later and dropped off my uniform so i could pick up my first and last paycheck haha). I went to college and now i'm working IT, mega chill.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
McDonald's. Worked two days before quitting. Was only 15 at the time, but saw too many patties dropped on the floor just to be picked up and placed on buns and served. We had the numbers system so we knew when they burgers were made and when they needed to be tossed out. Too often they were just changed and old burgers were served. Witnessed a cook, clean bathrooms then return to the line without washing hands. No one wore gloves while preparing food. !st day was in office training second day was on the job training. Never came back. Sent a letter to corporate about what I saw. I found out all of this owners franchises and have never visited one of his since.

Had some shitty jobs but that was the worst experience.

Thanks for reminding me to not eat out.

flipped burgers for mcdonalds for like 2 weeks. First job ever in highschool. The actual work wasn't too terrible, kind of cathartic actually. But my manager was a complete jerk. Never put me on the schedule during those 2 weeks, and always yelled at me for wearing black jeans instead of black slacks lol. what a joke.

I just left mid shit one day and never returned. (well i did return a couple months later and dropped off my uniform so i could pick up my first and last paycheck haha). I went to college and now i'm working IT, mega chill.

Did you at least flush?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Correctional officer. If you ever wanted to see the depths of hell, this job is for you.

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was a life insurance salesmen for a company who got their info from people in unions. They had me speaking to them with a script and then had me visit them in person. It was so awkward because I never knew beforehand how these meetings would go. It was rarely positive and after two months I left. It just felt wrong trying to get people to buy this shit and I started resenting the people in charge. The absolute worst was when we dealt with a client who just lost their spouse, the head agent with me wanted to get them to buy more coverage. It didn't help that he didn't speak English and I was helping to translate in Spanish, but I knew he didn't want to deal with this agent egging him on (me neither at this point). He said he would call me later, and when he did, I told the other agent his response and all he said was "haha that fucking bum". The next day I told him I didn't want to work there anymore and I never looked back.

That was the first job to make me break down inside my car and ask myself what the fuck am I doing.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Companies like that are the ones screaming the loudest about H1-B visa restrictions. "See? See? We just can't find anyone!!1". I'm amazed that place is even in business.

If you lived in bumfuck nowhere Tennessee extremely modestly, maybe. Somewhere you actually want to live like Nashville? Ah hell naw.

H1-B has minimum salary of 60K.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017

Got fired on the spot.
Please tell me how he reacted when you called him that?

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
I've had tons of shit jobs. Retail (stocking and cashier), telemarketing, lawncare/landscaping, dishwasher... The worst was definitely the "pro audio sales/installation" job that I applied for, that ended up consisting of selling shitty stereo speakers out of the back of a van to whomever I could flag down on the street. I lasted exactly one day at that job, showed up to get paid the next morning and they said no pay unless I worked a full week. Those scam artists still owe me money. haha

As others have said, when I'm having a stressful day at my job now, I always think back to any of these old jobs and instantly regain my gratitude for my current position.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Call centre where you had to literally read from a script and say the same thing the whole time. Boring, dead end job with no prospects or skills you could use to better yourself. Also they treated you like a child and didn't trust you to actually do your work, so they blocked the majority of websites you could visit whilst there was downtime. Lasted a few months doing that. I had enough one day, put in my notice and left. Some new starters who started with me literally left after training, that's how bad it was. Also there was a guy who did training for 4 days and just left, lol.

Damn, I just got a job at a call center for a bank/insurance company and it seems really nice so far... there are times where I literally have 3-5 minutes between calls. Lot's of gaming sites are blocked but not Era, but is there really no skills that you can use toe better yourselves? Maybe I'm just naive but I do see value in the customer service aspect, I've certainly gotten a lot better for deescalation and have a newfound appreciation for how to get angry clients to chill out.

My "worst job" has to go to being involved in door-to-door salesperson for a card reading machine. I had a terrible commute and had to pitch the thing to local businesses (who almost always said no). To make matters worse, it was purely commission based so there wasn't even any semblance of guaranteed income. I worked there for a week before leaving, earning not even a single penny.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
My first job was at a Volvo dealership. Was treated extremely poorly by management, didn't have a cover to wash cars in, so in any weather I was standing out washing cars out in the open (heavy rain, snow, anything). Couldn't go inside even on days it was too cold to do anything outside, me and other lot attendants were stuck outside in freezing weather with snow just waiting around. Plus it was not great pay at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One of my between-college-years summer jobs was for Comcast. Now, that's bad enough on its own, but let me go further.

My job was to call people all the time and confirm that the address we had on file for them was still their home address. You know, a cable provider that knows where people live because it gives cable service to them directly...needs to confirm people's home addresses, and then attempt to upsell them on more expensive cable packages. And I had to do this, day in and day out, for eight hours a day, with a maximum break of half an hour and no ability to socialize with anyone else in the office. Now, I hate being on the phone in general, even with people I like, and this was eight hours a day of being on the phone with total strangers who didn't want to talk to me at all. It was the most miserable experience of my entire life.

I hated it so much and it made me so depressed and anxious that one morning, I had to physically stop myself from deliberately driving off the highway at full speed during my commute to work. I quit that very same day. No job that makes me attempt to kill myself, even if I managed to stop it from happening, is worth doing.