Oct 25, 2017
"Somehow, Palpatine returned."
That's definitely up there near the top. Not because of the delivery or any fault of Oscar's. Even the sentence in isolation is not that bad. But in context, it's just....god damn. They stick Palpatine's broadcast exclusively into Fortnite and this is basically the best we get in the actual movie? Fuck.
Why not just start the movie with a creepy little montage across the galaxy of various spooked peoples listening to the broadcast? Then we actually get shown not told, and this line doesn't need to exist. And the montage could end with an infuriated Kylo, leading into his mustafar wayfinder scene.
I think I like TRoS more than most but this was just indefensible.

I'd also like to submit to the courts: "I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul... tormenting me. I will do anything that you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me." Anakin this is some incel shit, jesus

How about: "It's all Obi-Wan's fault! He's jealous! He's holding me back!" ugh fuck off

Or "It's not fair!!!!!!" Anakin, 20 year old man, 22 BBY

I think I could just submit the script for Episode 2 line for line in this thread and most would be valid entries to OP's question.

And also: "Medically, she's completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her. She has lost the will to live." Was there really no better way of saying that, George? I know that extreme stress/grief combined with childbirth and also getting fucking choked out too could realistically result in this outcome. That is not a healthy person. Do not tell me that the medical droid is completely baffled and that Padme is just peacing out because fuck them kids. Be honest was that just a DoorDash droid?

Oct 29, 2017
"Only a Sith deals in Absolutes" is fine in a vacuum, but terrible when one of the iconic Jedi mantras is "Do or do not. There is no try".

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The "prank call" bit of The Last Jedi. Want to immerse your audience? Remind them of childish prank calls with hip and quippy remarks.

opener of The Last Jedi said:
Attention.

This is Commander Poe Dameron
of the Republic fleet,

I have an urgent
communiqué for General Hugs.

Patch him through.

This is General Hux
of the First Order.

The Republic is no more.

Your fleet are Rebel scum
and war criminals.

Tell your precious princess
there will be no terms,

there will be no surrender.

POE: Hi, I'm holding for General Hugs.

This is Hux.
You and your friends are doomed.

We will wipe your filth
from the galaxy.

POE: Okay. I'll hold.

Hello?

POE: Hello? Yup. I'm still here.

Can he hear me?

- POE: Hugs?
- He can.

POE: With an "H." Skinny guy.
Kinda pasty.

I can hear you. Can you hear me?

Look, I can't hold forever.
If you reach him,

tell him Leia has
an urgent message for him...

I believe he's tooling with you, sir.

POE: ...about his mother.

Open fire!

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
TrollQuote.JPG

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

It's this.

The lines are bad, they dont even really all go together and they are delivered like they are both at gun point.

Like this sounds like this several different pieces of footage of them practising a few different versions of a script which were then accidentally mislabelled and edited together and left in the movie.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
Really? What's even any long-lasting effect of that?
The basics of it is that giving the Force a biological origin and explanation does a good job at taking the magic and spirituality out of spiritual space magic. No long lasting effect since Midichlorians were dropped harder than Jar Jar Binks, as they were never mentioned again.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's the worst, but it's incredibly annoying.

But the "Nooooo" inserted into the ROTJ blu-ray when Vader kills Palpatine.

It just feels like Lucas getting back at the fans for hating the line in Ep 3. "oh, you hate the line, well here it is again"

The moment worked so well without it

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022

It just feels like Lucas getting back at the fans for hating the line in Ep 3. "oh, you hate the line, well here it is again"

It's so brazen and daft that it comes off as spiteful, yeah. After all of the criticism the prior edits garnered, and after all the time that had passed since the Special Editions in particular, you would think there would be at least some impetus for these already-beloved movies to be preserved as they were, but nope! Take one of the best parts of the movie and slap an exclamation over what was previously an unvoiced sequence. The apparent callback to that often-derided moment in episode 3 makes an already bad situation somehow even worse. Just boggles my mind.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's the somehow, palpatine quote.

But this was just terrible:

Anakin: You are so…beautiful.
Padme: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well…that's not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it's probably true.

There's no way there wasn't a physical cringe by someone in the studio over that line.

I used to hate the "Ani I want to have our baby back on Naboo" line with a burning passion. Until the prequels came back around as a giant meme anyway.

If I remember right that line is part of this whole shit show of dialogue.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
"You're a Palpatine"

Way to miss the point of Rey's parentage reveal in the previous film..
Honestly, I would be perfectly fine with that if Palpatine hadn't actually returned and had stayed dead.

I would have liked the idea of the First Order/Kylo Ren seeking the empire's heir and turn her to their side as means to legitimate their movement. Of course, that would require an actual writing effort...

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Just because it's not been mentioned yet, I got real tired of hearing nerds say, "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to" as if it was some serious insight.

Oct 30, 2017
Not to mention the fact that it is spoken by arguably one the most talented actors in all of the 9 films (Oscar Isaac) and still manages to be the worst line across all of them just really seals the deal.

i feel like it's at least delivered in a way where he gets across that he knows it's terrible. it kind of sets the tone for the entire movie

Around the survivors, a perimeter create!

lol it's this

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
"Somehow, Palpatine has returned."

Could have used anything else to explain it - cloning, soul magic, sith science from Korriban, a lesson from his master, forbidden jedi artifact, etc.

Instead they just went with 🤷🏻‍♂️ (Shrug)

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't seen the new movies, but the worst quote is actually "I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced," because of the double use of 'suddenly'. The sentence flows much better if you remove the first one.

Well, having both suddenlies in there illustrates that the screams stopped as abruptly as they started, which indicates that whatever happened to them was swift and fatal on a massive scale.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I watched my RotJ blu-ray once.

After that, it was back to the DVD.

Thanks, George.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Fear is their greatest defense. I doubt if the actual security there is much greater than on Aquila or Sullust and what is there is most likely directed towards a large scale assault.

okay so this is cheating because it was cut from the film, but without looking it up, guess what movie this was going to be in, what character was going to say it, and during which scene

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. All those Anakin love quotes are hilarious.

Besides Palpatine, what about: Rey!!! Hearing Flynn yelling Rey's name constantly was grating. Poor dude; Disney did him dirty.

Well, having both suddenlies in there illustrates that the screams stopped as abruptly as they started, which indicates that whatever happened to them was swift and fatal on a massive scale.
You could have used a synonym, although I still believe that's redundant. In fact, instead of cutting the first suddenly, I would remove the second one. The first one already tells us something 'suddenly' happened and because of that they were silenced.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
From my point of view the Jedi are evil.

I think about that one way too much.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
"Rey Skywalker"
Made me roll my eyes so god damn hard. Way to miss a powerful and great moment where Rey could've said "Just Rey" or even "Rey Palpatine"

Bringing back the whole thing of the movie of your name and bloodline not defining who you are and it's you who make those choices. How the hell does her calling herself a Skywalker even make sense

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
"Rey Skywalker"
Made me roll my eyes so god damn hard. Way to miss a powerful and great moment where Rey could've said "Just Rey" or even "Rey Palpatine"

Bringing back the whole thing of the movie of your name and bloodline not defining who you are and it's you who make those choices. How the hell does her calling herself a Skywalker even make sense
BECAUSE SKYWALKER

Seriously, it's fucking ridiculously