Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Being there.

Also work being structured in a way that shows people how no idea what goes into the work and what time it takes

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
I love also to work with people, who do nothing. When you tell them, dude please do xyz, they have always have an excuse.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Too add on my OP The worst is when the full stacked kegs are IN FRONT of the tapped ones. Seriously if you are strong enough to stack kegs 3+ high you should have no issues moving them around.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
People sending a message over Skype right after they sent an email. People checking if you are joining a meeting 1 minute after.

This is the worst. I have someone who does both of these things AND walks to my desk to make sure I saw his email and Skype message. And you can't do anything about it besides glare and be passive aggressive.

I really wish being rude in an office environment were more tolerated.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Getting harped on about not breaking policy and then whenever there's the slighest bit of pushback from an angry guest, one of the weak willed managers breaks policy and gives people the stink eye for involving them in things.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Genuine? Nothing. My new job is full of sweet people and I'm actually treated with respect for once. It's by far the best job I've had in my life (and it's not even that great monetarily).

If there was one thing that's annoying maybe, it's that a few times a month they have trainings in my building so there's a few less parking spots.

It genuinely isn't bad.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Work in a converted condo with a full kitchen and laundry room. Problem is I am within earshot of both so I hear a running washing machine or dryer or cooking/water consistently. Some days it drives me nuts, I worked from home for 3 years so some days this environment drives me insane. Like what is the appeal of carrying laundry from home to wash it at work? To carry it back home again. Makes no sense to me but enough people here use it to the point its constantly running. Sigh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Having to constantly hear about the marital problems that my employer and his wife have. Unfortunately they both work here and it affects the business as a result.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Money trouble. We never seem to do better than just hang on, so I never have money to fix things when they break, or pay myself much of anything. It always feels like we're going to succeed, but we never do.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The constant humming from my co-workers.

Also me and the general manager seems to have a silent agreement to hate each other, I strongly believe that if it wasnt for the managers I wouldn't be here anymore. Makes any conversations pretty awkward.

Other than that, its bliss.

Oct 27, 2017
People not understanding that each person has their own work and priorities and can't stop what they're doing to address you're issue, query, message, email immediately

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Hot and humid as balls in the summer. 3-5 kettles on at once with 3"-6" flames on a 90 degree humid day is irritating.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a software engineer, I work on web-based UIs. I like my job a lot, like what I work on, like most of my coworkers, have a good work/life balance.

There's one thing I support that I regret supporting. About 4 or 5 years ago, was meeting with someone and he mentioned how his team was developing an email service for internal apps to use to send email in a standardized way. It was kind of like a ... one off throw-away line, but it was the first time I had met with this guy and I, stupidly, eagerly said how I had done email development for clients in the past and if they had questions I'm happy to help.

Well.

Building emails is the worst thing in the world, there's legit nothing worse than it. If you think IE11 is bad for web development, everything related to email is worse. The best email clients are 10x worse than IE11. Hugely popular clients like Outlook for WIndows use Microsoft Word for their rendering engines. Clients like Gmail and Yahoo manipulate emails and tear them up as features for clients. Nobody wants to actually display your email how you want to display it because email generally sucks. Designers who design emails here generally are web designers who are asked to throw an email together, so they design it like how they design for the web, which never works, and it's a disaster of expectations vs. result.

SO, five year later, here I am still building fucking horrible email templates. I've run through a half dozen email markup languages that try to help mitigate these issues, from Foundation for EMails (pretty much dead), to .. VML (Dead) to now ... something called HEML which is ok but buggy. I end up still having to go back to my output and just write tons of custom tables to do things. And even then, it's still fucking broken. 5 emails can look identical in most clients, and then for some reason, the 6th email, which is built identically to all of the others will bug out in Outlook. I'll test it for days, literally the same code, and then be like "wtf... am I doing wrong here..." Only to just start over, rebuild it, and then it works.

Worse off, nobody really knows that email sucks. Like, sure, a lot of developers know. But most don't. Most don't know how clients mangle up emails, take the code you send them and change it all and then output something differently. Most don't know when you forward an email from one client, the client -- even the good ones -- destroy and rebuild the email. That a forwarded email from Gmail will look completely different viewed in Outlook than it would in Yahoo. Or a forwarded email from your mobile phone will swap all of the fonts when it gets sent to your desktop. It's a nightmare.

And the program is pretty useless.

We could send all text based emails that would work in 100% of clients, and have MUCH higher conversion rates, but we don't, because someone once got a pretty email from some company and now wants us to have pretty emails, but not be willing to compromise in the same way that the other email sender compromised. It's horrible.

The bench marks are horrible. We'll benchmark transactional emails against marketing emails from Apple and GOogle. Like, our "Reset your password" email will get benchmarked against Apple's email launching the iPhone X or something, and some dev lead will be like "look how good this apple email looks! didn't you say we can't do something like this????" and it's like, dude, those use cases are so different, I bet if you reset your password to Apple.com, the email will be very simple and barebones... and, voila, of course it is. BUt they'll persist. "But you said we couldn't have a highly designed email!" and I'll just want to die.

I now own the front end of our emails standards. It's mine now. It's horrible. I'm the gatekeeper for email, except it's one of those things where what I actually recommend just gets bludgeoned by someone else who doesn't know anything. It took me MONTHS to convince the higher management review teams that making emails larger than 500px wide was a major mistake. This was my biggest issue, backed with tons of research and expert best practices from all of the major web marketing email companies, but ... like ... the upper exec software guy who has Outlook and has a 4K monitor complains because "This email only takes up 5% of my screen......." And I want to go and ring his neck, and be like "DUDE, think about email that YOU USE every day... IT ALL only takes up 5% of your screen and you still figure out how to use it" ... so I have to spend hours doing bench marks screen shotting 20 emails from the leading companies and bring them to a meeting and show how on 4K, they're still only 480px wide........ And this goes on and on indefinitely.

I hate email. I always hated email. And now I'm saddled with this program that is the bane of my existence and all because 5 years ago I offered to help some person who was launching a new internal app, a conversation we shouldn't have even had. "Oh, Albatross knows how to build emails." Is how it started, and now it's this, and I want to die every day I work on an email project.

ALso, I'm a fucking senior software engineer and building emails makes no sense for me to build them. It's a massive waste of money. WE could have a junior, intern-level person build these and they'd probably do a better job than me.

Last edited:

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
I'm a software engineer, I work on web-based UIs. I like my job a lot, like what I work on, like most of my coworkers, have a good work/life balance.

There's one thing I support that I regret supporting. About 4 or 5 years ago, was meeting with someone and he mentioned how his team was developing an email service for internal apps to use to send email in a standardized way. It was kind of like a ... one off throw-away line, but it was the first time I had met with this guy and I, stupidly, eagerly said how I had done email development for clients in the past and if they had questions I'm happy to help.

Well.

Building emails is the worst thing in the world, there's legit nothing worse than it. If you think IE11 is bad for web development, everything related to email is worse. The best email clients are 10x worse than IE11. Hugely popular clients like Outlook for WIndows use Microsoft Word for their rendering engines. Clients like Gmail and Yahoo manipulate emails and tear them up as features for clients. Nobody wants to actually display your email how you want to display it because email generally sucks. Designers who design emails here generally are web designers who are asked to throw an email together, so they design it like how they design for the web, which never works, and it's a disaster of expectations vs. result.

SO, five year later, here I am still building fucking horrible email templates. I've run through a half dozen email markup languages that try to help mitigate these issues, from Foundation for EMails (pretty much dead), to .. VML (Dead) to now ... something called HEML which is ok but buggy. I end up still having to go back to my output and just write tons of custom tables to do things. And even then, it's still fucking broken. 5 emails can look identical in most clients, and then for some reason, the 6th email, which is built identically to all of the others will bug out in Outlook. I'll test it for days, literally the same code, and then be like "wtf... am I doing wrong here..." Only to just start over, rebuild it, and then it works.

Worse off, nobody really knows that email sucks. Like, sure, a lot of developers know. But most don't. Most don't know how clients mangle up emails, take the code you send them and change it all and then output something differently. Most don't know when you forward an email from one client, the client -- even the good ones -- destroy and rebuild the email. That a forwarded email from Gmail will look completely different viewed in Outlook than it would in Yahoo. Or a forwarded email from your mobile phone will swap all of the fonts when it gets sent to your desktop. It's a nightmare.

And the program is pretty useless.

We could send all text based emails that would work in 100% of clients, and have MUCH higher conversion rates, but we don't, because someone once got a pretty email from some company and now wants us to have pretty emails, but not be willing to compromise in the same way that the other email sender compromised. It's horrible.

The bench marks are horrible. We'll benchmark transactional emails against marketing emails from Apple and GOogle. Like, our "Reset your password" email will get benchmarked against Apple's email launching the iPhone X or something, and some dev lead will be like "look how good this apple email looks! didn't you say we can't do something like this????" and it's like, dude, those use cases are so different, I bet if you reset your password to Apple.com, the email will be very simple and barebones... and, voila, of course it is. BUt they'll persist. "But you said we couldn't have a highly designed email!" and I'll just want to die.

haha I feel your pain, I constantly get users doing up some fancy invitation and then commenting that they send it to themselves and it looks different. I try telling them not one recipient will view it EXACTLY as they composed it inless its attached as a PDF or something. Half won't even load the images, some won't use their intended font. On and on, its never going to be 1:1 NEVER. I took off Comic Sans as a font option since Apple devices display it as some old english font and people still rage about that on a weekly basis.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
People that rather sit around doing nothing when they don't understand something, instead of asking questions. People that refuse to pick up a phone and call someone, or walk over and talk to someone in person. I get it, we are engineers and a bunch of us are pretty anti social but you are going to look a lot worse getting jack shit done, than you are being the annoying person always asking what to do.

I work on a lot of proprietary software/firmware that is brand spanking new, hardly in a documented or testable state, and yeah it is a crazy skunkworks situation all around. Too many people though just look at that and throw their hands up and give up, rather than getting in there and figuring things out.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The building I'm in has extra security of various kinda because of some other work that goes on elsewhere in the building by a different team of people that shares this office space.
The people I work for share the same network infrastructure (in addition to the building, obviously) so we are subject to that same level of security despite not needing it for what we do. I can't count how many hours' worth of productivity I've lost due to dealing with ID card renewals and various computer security things wasting my time or making me jump through hoops just to do my job. I think it's been ~45 minutes wasted so far just today.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take a work shuttle that makes specific stops every time and yet every time I get on they ask me where I'm going. I hate having to talk when I don't need to. You're going to every stop regardless of the answer I give so why do you ask?

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Using the dilapdated software from Ford for module programming

So damn restrictive compared to GM. GM actually tells you what the fuck its programming and how.

Dodge sucks just as much as up until you work on 2008 and up vehicle, then it switches to a more streamlined bit of software.

Software engineers on ERA, go get hired by Ford and help them with their aftermarket software. It sucks so fucking much.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Dealing with customers - lack of respect for my scheduled vacations or work hours.

Working internally - people that copy my manager on emails/tickets because they don't think I'll do any work otherwise? Weird snitchy behavior but it's so prevalent everywhere I've worked

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone thinking that advisory is so much cooler than assurance.

Work for a big 4 and I do 50/50 audit and consulting projects in the financial services industry. We pull in way more money with the same amount of people than our advisory coworkers who do the same topics.

Because of our projects, we have more experience in many topics, yet, the advisory department gets paid better and third parties like students have a much higher opinion of them. And certainly, they themselves think they are so much better without anything to back it up. It's not like they work for a top tier consulting firm either.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work in tech support for a software company. (You've never heard of us, but you've heard of many of the companies that use our software.) We mostly use a ticketing system, but we also take phone calls. We get probably 10-12 calls a day, split among 3-4 people.

But no one will answer the damn phone. We're supposed to take turns answering, but when the phone rings, there's a chorus of excuses. "I'm about to go to lunch," or "I'm about to go into a meeting," or some people just keep their heads down and pretend that they don't hear the phone. And I'll admit, I'm guilty of it too, but mostly because I know that if I don't, I will literally take every phone call. (There's a guy on a different shift who literally does this.)

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the fact that I'm completely disposable and my job doesn't take any real skill to do

I'm an office assistant and my job fulfillment is pretty poor, and I know it's just because I'm too comfortable to get another job

If anything, I irritate myself

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Internal stakeholders being cunts.

Let's just get the job done and move on...

The amount of back and forth that goes on for a team not to do a piece of work when in half that time that piece of work could have been completed.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
As a cook, inventory day.
Good one. One time I worked at a swanky country club and they didn't even do inventory they straight up didn't care.... as long as you cooked their well done steak in 10 min before tee time lol.

Now my pet peeve is redundant paperwork created by people who dealt with half the number of clients a decade ago. " I used to do this too I know what you are going through " .... uh noo I can pull the stats you did half the reports I do now.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I work at the American HQ of a large global corporation who you've definitely heard of. Just passed my 2 year anniversary.

I really like it, I have a lot of responsibilities and am leading some big projects within our division. My coworkers are extremely helpful and hard working. My boss is pretty easygoing and usually leaves me to my own devices.

Biggest complaints involve the commute. It's about 25 miles away but it can take upwards of an hour due to the traffic. When school is out, I can fly in in under 40 minutes, thankfully. And we have 2 big parking garages that seem to be almost impossible to find a spot if you're late. Or if you find a spot, it's "reserved for EVs" or "reserved for motorcycles" or "reserved for employee of the month"...

Another complaint is that there's not really much in the way of "flex time". You're expected to be there not a minute later than 9 and not to leave a minute before 5. If you have a doctor's appointment, you take sick time (in hour blocks), no make-up time. There's no working from home (except if you have to work off-hours), which is weird since we are in the technology field and my division specifically focuses on software solutions - I spend a lot of time on Webexes or RDPed into the client's servers. There's not really much of a need for me to be physically present in the office.

And a minor complaint, it's dress shirt/dress pants/dress shoes all the time. I at least wish for a casual Friday...