Discontent

May 25, 2018
It doesn't matter if you're a casual or competitive player, online or solo, come share with us the one character out of all fighting games that you were the most proficient with relative to how well you play with other characters; I don't mean when you in the whole universe were the most proficient with that character lol although delusions of grandeur are welcome here (more on that later). I'm sure for most of us there'll be one character that you feel stands out but if you feel you were equally good with different characters then that's ok too and you can mention however many you like.

For me it was my man D.Dark in EX2 at the arcades. I used to do quite well with him in the arcade even though I later came to realise I'm a filthy casual in fighting games. It may very well have been just very low level competition at that particular arcade at that particular time lmao but for me it was a crowning achievement and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I may have been the greatest D.Dark player in history (Terms and conditions apply).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Raphael in Soul Calibur 2

There was a big Virgin Megastore in central london with loose winner stays on rules in a PS2 demostation for about 6 months when the game came out, and I mostly stayed on lol

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The highest I've ever climbed in online ranked in a fighting game was Killer Instinct 2013 as Shadow Jago and Fulgore. At one point I was ranked 39th in the Southeast Region of the US online (at least I think that's how the regions are structured).

Otherwise it's Akuma in SF3: Third Strike. I've always loved Akuma's moveset and glass cannon nature, and his 3S iteration is the best.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
When Tekken 4 was originally released, my elitist mind told me to train really hard with Steve because due to his limited movement compared to the other characters, no one in my social bubble was going to main him. It totally worked in the end. Even though Lei was my main, I always rattled some cages with hi-quality Steve-gameplay.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Terry Bogard, except in Smash Bros. Just a staple character where I know all the moves and approaches. I can pick him and feel comfortable regardless of which version and enjoy myself. And yes I do play him a bit in Smash but he has to contend with all my other favourites there.

latest

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sophitia in Soul Calibur, Chun Li in SF4, and Peach in Smash Bros Melee were my strongest characters of all time. Not that I'm all that great, but I think with these 3 I could have had a chance at actually being competitive if I had chosen to go that way.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Ivysaur in project M. Such a fluid and powerful moveset, I would stay up playing vs dudes in college til the sun came up and still be winning.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Aoi in Virtua Fighter. I spent a lot of time using her in training and Quest modes in VF4:Evo and it actually translated to mild competancy when I finally took her online in VF5: Final Showdown.

Virtua Fighter is the only fighter I really feel ok at playing in in general. I think its a combination of being 3 button only with mostly generous input buffers so execution is less of an issue. On top of that Evolution and FS had good tutorials for the basics.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ed from SFV, the only time I've bothered to really learn a character.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare and Yoshimutsu in Sould Calibur 4 I think, could do 95% of their movesets at will.

Guilty Gear Strive might be first time I try to properly master a few characters but looks like the movesets are nowhere near the scale of SC4.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The only one I've been good with was Cinder in Killer Instinct (1994). If I could land a hit on someone, I could almost always combo them into the dirt.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Guile (and then Charlie) from SF2 through SFA2. Could reliably pull off his combos except for the really crazy ones. Knew how his regulars and air hits matched up vs. most opponents, etc.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
At a point I could consistently beat my cousin (the best player I personally know) on Mortal Kombat II using Kitana.

Nothing left to prove.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
Kilik in SC2, since then it's all been downhill skillwise for me. Strive makes wish I could to at least slightly above scrub skill, but it seems unlikely.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty bad at fight games but I was pretty decent at holding my own as Yukiko in the Persona Arena games

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Riot in cyberbots. I only know how to do a 2 hit combo but it does like 40% so it all works out.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I am a total noob at fighting games, but in Tekken 5 I used to select Devil Jin and do that move where he shoots lasers out of his eyes. If I was feeling particularly spicy I would use the move where he would fly to the opposite end of the map and shoot the lasers. Provided I was playing against someone who was even worse than me spamming those two moves usually led me to a flawless victory. However, when faced with someone with a modicum of skill and a knowledge of the sidestep dodge, my strategy would fall apart instantly.

You would be surprised at how often that spam did work though lol

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
As a semi serious KOF player who is also primarily Hispanic, I am obligated to have a pocket Iori in the event I have to defend my honor in a random KOF game

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hinata in the Naruto: Clash of Ninja series. All my friends thought she was terrible so it just made it more amusing when I won.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Abel in every version of Street Fighter IV from the very beginning.

I devoured every bit of video content I could find and followed nearly all the people who played Abel at a high level. Learned his combos, his mix-ups, his tick throws. I even got good enough where I could easily beat Zangief players who took their match advantage for granted and expected easy wins.

Though I did try and get good with many other characters in all sorts of franchises it never reached the same level kf dedication I had to learning how to play Abel well.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Blanka in OG Arcade Street Fighter 2. That was probably my peak, in terms of being able to compete at fighting games. I could get a lot of plays off one quarter playing Blanka in the Aracade against randoms.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Sakura in pretty much any SF she's in
Ibuki if Sakura isn't there
Aoi in Virtua Fighter
Ayane in DOA

I'd say Xiaoyu in Tekken, but I've been playing Asuka more and mroe since she showed up in 5, particularly since I've been playing 7 more regularly than I ever played 6 or TTT2.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I'll do my top 3; Actually ended up doing tournament plays with them

1. Kazuya (mainly)/Heihachi in Street Fighter X Tekken
2. E. Honda in SSF2T
3. Grundy in Injustice

Oct 27, 2017
I like to think I'm decent with Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat 11, but it's mostly due to people not guessing right on the 50/50 haha.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Astaroth in SoulCalibur. My group of friends and I played this basically every weekend. I was hitting a wall, and forced myself to learn a new character that nobody else used. I got very, very good with Astaroth. I didn't bust him out until I was super comfortable, and once I did I kicked a bunch of ass. I won like 60 straight matches one night lol. Anyway, I also tought myself Xianghua to also have a faster character when people tried to pick someone quick. That's the only fighting game I was ever any good at haha.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Cervantes in every Soulcalibur, he was my first fighting game main when I was a little kid.

Asuka in Tekken is my sweaty character, but I like Jun better. Never did any notable tournaments but I do pretty well in Korea online

Triborg (Sektor) in MKX