• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
You know Ive never payed more than MSRP even on retro titles. I've overpayed for retro titles, but never anything rare, exported, or sealed. So ignoring collectors editions, I've only ever bought games at msrp at the worst.

Dec 13, 2018
Dota 2, probably 1500+ at least over the years... don't know why my wife and I turned into whales for them hats but every international we max out the battle pass

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Chrono Trigger, it was like $80 when it came out in 1995, and at the time I was earning I think $4.25/hour part time, so that was a lot of money.

...but for real, I Kickstarted Shroud of the Avatar for like $550. "An unofficial sequel to my favorite PC series Ultima helmed by the original inventor of the series and some of his old team? Sign me up!"

Or maybe if that doesn't count, I bought a Turbo-CD for $200 specifically for Ys Books 1 & 2, the game blew my mind with its crazy music and high quality speech, I had to own it.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Thinking about plopping down $100 for this:
s-l300.jpg

I know $100 sounds like a lot, but you could win $10,000

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
LividDarlingKakarikis-size_restricted.gif

This gif encapsulate perfectly the experience of many Star Citizen backers, trust me, i know. Not even mad about it.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Single game, probably things like the special edition of BOTW, stuff like that. Pushing £100 or maybe over. Can't remember now.

The most I spent to play a specific game was between £200 and £300 when I wanted the PS2 version of NiGHTS into Dreams and Sega Rally 2006. I bought a Hong Kong PS2 and the games.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
$75 for the Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock guitar bundle. The game was decent and the guitar works to this day.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
World of Warcraft, no doubt. I didn't buy a lot of extra things like server transfers, name changes etc, but I did play for almost 20 years, about 15 of those for cash subscription, so just that ended up being a lot over the years.

I'd say maybe 2500 USD, but I'm lowballing it.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
This is a good one.

Probably the £60 or so I spent on Jet Set Radio, as a Japanese import for DC, back when it was brand new. Worth absolutely every penny; but I managed to get it stolen before I had even left London. And what do you know but my dear friends immediately bought me another copy. An amazing game and the Japanese import was beautiful.

None of us were rich so I was blown away by that. Very pleasant to recall.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Probably $500 or so playing DDR in the arcades and I didn't even get to own it...

If we are talking a home game, then I guess Rock Band 4 which was originally $250 or so for the full kit.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Single purchase, maybe $90 for DoA Xtreme 3 Scarlet. Waste of money on the Switch though, performance is terrible. But I did not want that Marie Rose mouse pad lol -shudder-

Then again, I bought Dragon's Crown 3 times so if that counts

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
If it''s just for a standard game without nothing special... like 70€ for a brand new GTA: San Andreas for the ps2 (well, technically it was my parents money, but it still hurts). I was a child and I wanted the game right now but it was only on a random store with inflated price xD
If you are taking collector's edition... the more recent is Eiyuden Chronicle which I pledged more than 200€.

And I don't wanna talk about subscription games nor does my bank account.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
For a one off purchase: the Fallout 4 Pip Boy edition. I don't even have a phone that would fit into this any more.

Over time or through MTX: Hearthstone, no question. Probably upwards of £600 over 5 years. Though I've mostly swapped to F2P for the last 2 years.

sdefresne

Sep 19, 2020
France
Probably Demon's Souls (3copies bought, US, EMEA on PS3 and remastered on PS5) or Dark Souls (PS3, remastered on PS4 ans Switch).

If subscription counts, then FFXIV.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
not sure, probably WoW with expansions and sub or Destiny with expansions too, i don't do MT in games, but i do often buy expansions or dlc for the games i like.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
$150 for the Halo: Reach Legendary Edition.

I was huge into Halo at the time and being it was Bungie's final Halo game, plus the lore behind Reach in-universe, I was very excited for the game.

I don't regret it, it was pretty neat. That being said, I don't think there's any game I'm as excited about anymore to drop $150 dollars on, especially when it seems like the special editions now are less worth it.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely sure, but it was probably 76€ on Ring Fit Adventure.

Maybe it was the Metroid: Samus Returns special edition, because I had to ship it from Spain to Brazil, but I think that was also around 60-70 EUR.

If I think of the games I spent the most money on... Possibly Smash Bros. 3DS + Wii U, since all the character DLC elevated the combined packaged to around 150 USD.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Had a PC. Bought Rayman Legends on PC. 20€.
Got a PS3. Bought Rayman Legends to play it with my girlfriend. 20€.
Broke up, she kept the PS3, I bought a PS4. 20€.
Bought a Nintendo Switch. Figured it would be nice to have it on Switch in order to play it with my family and friends. 20€
Have a PS Vita. Thought it would be a good idea to have it in my collection because all the versions I have are digital. 20€.

So, yeah, 100€ on Rayman Legends! And I regret absolutely nothing.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
€65 euro for Demon's souls. But technically I ended up paying less for it. Because I found it cheaper after a month for €40 and got the price difference back.

The previous game I payed €65 is for God of War limited edition (steelbook)

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I bought the Switch just to play BOTW, it was the only game I had for more than year (finished it after three months, 118/120 shrines, haven't touched botw since). I eventually started picking up more games, XCDE is the most regular I've played my Switch since I owned it.

Jan 13, 2020
Does Rock Band with all the instruments count? Pretty sure that was like £250 at launch, so...that. if not, I imported Super Smash Bros. Brawl at like £80 plus £20 for the Freeloader to play it with.

Jul 26, 2018
I'm not even there, I usually wait the games until they're about 15 or 20 if I'm really really really pumped. Just shop during the big sales, like BF and playing them thru the year.

Ac Valhalla is 35 on Amazon right now, which is tempting, but I'm hoping it'll be less than 30 on the spring sale (late March or early April in the last few years). Also waiting for Immortals to be 15 bucks, hopefully by the end of this year?

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we aren't counting DLC, easily Rock Band, which was $170 (?) for the Band in Box bundle.

If counting DLC it's 100% Rock Band.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Add me to the Steel Battalion gang. Bought it new at the short lived Hollywood Video game store. Still remember going in to buy it and the clerks shocked reaction that someone actually bought it. I actually have two now too. My original and a second that I found at a used shop for $30 just last year.

Can't recall if I've ever spent more for a single game than that.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
£450 for Astro's Playroom :)

If we were to count subscriptions and expansions, it would be World of Warcraft, by a country mile.
If we don't count those, but do count in-app-purchases, then it would possibly be Pokemon Go.
If none of those count, then it would be some Collector's Edition that I picked up over the years. Probably topping at around the £100 mark, though. Even if it has an awesome statue, I have no desire to pay more than that.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
The Last of Us Part II Collectors Edition for $200 (2000 SEK).. yeah, I ended up hating the story so I wasn't very pleased with the purchase afterwards.. oh well

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I buy special editions on some things, so maybe $100. Now if you are counting purchased made because of a game, I built a computer for The Old Republic, and bought an Xbox One X and 4K TV for Monster Hunter World.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was $112 on GTA V due to the game being banned but highly demanded in my country, and I've also bought it on PS4 (but sold it later) and PC when it was discounted, so that might brings it to the total of $160