• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Easily Dark City.

The movie is drenched in atmosphere and amazing sets, and it's so well made.

Sky Captain is a damn good pick too.

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
Hellboy, yeah the new one. I don't care what you guys think. That movie is great. Have a scary vibe too with the witch

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Sky Captain would appeal to a Rocketeer fan, lol. But I thought it was essential for the style of movies of the decade (Sin City, 300).

I always consider Little Children underrated, because I think it's top five of its decade and no one ever mentions it exists.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Constantine

maybe. It's the 1st one I can think of, a really fun supernatural thriller situation that happens to use some HellBlazer properties

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
WUwb6tk.jpg

OP
OP
JaseMath

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Sky Captain would appeal to a Rocketeer fan, lol. But I thought it was essential for the style of movies of the decade (Sin City, 300).

I always consider Little Children underrated, because I think it's top five of its decade and no one ever mentions it exists.
Little Children is incredible! And the trailer is something else, too. Not a bit of music but it's so intense.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Fallen

maybe. It's the 2nd one I can think of, another really fun supernatural thriller

I think it's Denzels best movie, his acting scopes the range from gentle to downright visceral

TheBahaBlast

Oct 25, 2017
Midnight Special, the movie is easy to to describe, but harder to explain in how it makes you feel. On a personal level it fills you with a sense of wonder and emotions that can touch you to your core, or at least that's been what the shared experience of those I've talked to.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
for me, it has to be Michael Cimino's brilliant 'Heaven's Gate'

MV5BMzE3YjYzMDgtNjEyYS00ZTk4LThhY2QtMDI4Zjg3MTUyN2ZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

I've heard 'Heaven's Gate' referred to as one of the worst films of all time, and that's so baffling to me. it's such a brilliant production. i love its realist take on the Western, its set design, its cast. and the pace is really wonderful too, the film lingers on these environments and gives you time to immerse yourself in this world. i know it's undergone a critical reevaluation more recently and more and more people agree with me that it's great, but I still see people use it as a codeword for "terrible movie" and that's so unfair. to me, 'Heaven's Gate' is a masterpiece

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
L.A. Confidential.

I mean it's critically acclaimed still but it's also fucking magnificent and not spoken about in mainstream society like it should be.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God that's tough when you have to consider movies that aren't actually critically acclaimed but that no one talks about.

After doing some research, probably Shutter Island? I'd have to keep looking.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
tNUkGUl.jpg

This is the last real good swashbuckling movie. Great action scenes, relatively true to the times it was set in, great acting and sets.

An incredible movie to watch for the first time and great fun every time after.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Brotherhood of the Wolf is fucking amazing and era (myself included) has a hard-on for Bloodborne so everyone here owes it to themselves to watch it:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't know about under rated but I don't hear anybody talk about 11:14. I enjoyed the crap out of it, but I really dig this type of story telling. Apparenty it's free on Vudu right now.
s592

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This movie... people make horror lists and shit like that, but the never add this one for some reason. It's so fucking unnerving.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
for me, it has to be Michael Cimino's brilliant 'Heaven's Gate'

MV5BMzE3YjYzMDgtNjEyYS00ZTk4LThhY2QtMDI4Zjg3MTUyN2ZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

I've heard 'Heaven's Gate' referred to as one of the worst films of all time, and that's so baffling to me. it's such a brilliant production. i love its realist take on the Western, its set design, its cast. and the pace is really wonderful too, the film lingers on these environments and gives you time to immerse yourself in this world. i know it's undergone a critical reevaluation more recently and more and more people agree with me that it's great, but I still see people use it as a codeword for "terrible movie" and that's so unfair. to me, 'Heaven's Gate' is a masterpiece
They also killed and maimed a bunch of animals filming it.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
The Witches of Eastwick. George Miller. Jack Nicholson as the devil. A *fantastic* John Williams score. Sarandon, Pfiefer, Cher at peak hotness. I adore it. Apparently I'm the only one.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Sky Captain is wonderful but it really, really needed a heavy for Sky Captain to fight at the end. Either some brute to get all fisticuffs-y on or an enemy ace to take out in the skies.

"Most Underrated" is a tricky one because there are a couple different ways to look at.

The Widely Known but Unfairly Maligned award goes to...
huntsman.png

The Huntsman: Winter's War, which is a great action adventure film that hearkens back to the good ol' days when we got fantasy films that weren't junk. Likable actors, likable characters, good score, gorgeous visuals, and a smorgasbord of sexy people trying to kill other sexy people. It is great.

The Well Liked Film That People Don't See The True Greatness Of award goes to...
Hot-Fuzz-skinner.png

Hot Fuzz, which is the rare film that I will say is basically perfect. Even the best of films have plenty of things that are imperfect, nature of the beast and all that, but Hot Fuzz is so close to perfection it is staggering. There is literally only a single moment, a single shot that keeps it from being truly unimpeachable(it is when Lurch is knocked out in the grocery store).

The Low Budget Movie That No One Has Heard Of And Will Never Get The Respect It Deserves award goes to...
molly.jpg

Molly. This little movie, made with a tiny budget, gives me more hope for the future of genre cinema than anything else I've seen in the past who knows how many years. The bravura finale of the movie is just amazing, it is rough with imperfect fighting and choreography, but it is just so very much alive. James Cameron probably spent more on a single day making Avatar than Molly had for its whole shoot and yet I will go back to Molly time and time again before I book a return trip to Pandora.

edit: And good call on Guy Ritchie's King Arthur. I swear I have no idea how people can sit down and watch that, then sit down and watch a Marvel movie, and then act like there is some great difference in quality between the two.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt, my extremely passionate answer is [REC] 2.

I like it infinitely more than the original. It has incredible ideas for where to take the found footage genre, some awesome aesthetic and story choices, and one of the most bonkers endings in cinema.

While it's not my favorite movie, it's probably the movie I love most that I understand why people hate it the least. At least with other movies I love, I can kind of get it.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Phase IV. It's widely panned, a lot of people find it silly. But I think it's an absolutely fascinating science fiction film. One of the most interesting portrayals of an alien intelligence.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017