• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
GoW?

Niflheim perhaps, but that's optional
A lot of the side-places are meh, and the re-used enemy types are breathtakingly blatant, so much that I'm shocked the game doesn't get more shit for it (when something like Nioh totally did, despite having superior combat and level design).

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy Games and Odyssey.
Constant FIrework of Ideas and creativity from start to finish.

Also the GB/GBC Zeldas. More compact worlds but a lot to do in them
plus the classic Zelda dungeons with always new Items to interact with.
They always felt like the most Metroid-esque Zeldas there are due to a
lot of backtracking

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3 + expansions are just incredible value quality and quantity ,to a point where you want to pay more than it asks.
RDR 2 is also pretty good at that too.
Oblivion . Skyrim too.
A lot of good open world games usually . Even majority of Ubisoft ones.

omf

Oct 30, 2017
Stephen's Sausage Roll which never repeats itself.
Titanfall 2, and most recently DUSK which for me might top Titanfall's campaign in fun swerves.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the side-places are meh, and the re-used enemy types are breathtakingly blatant, so much that I'm shocked the game doesn't get more shit for it (when something like Nioh totally did, despite having superior combat and level design).
I'd disagree with Nioh having better level design, but the main reason is that it's at least twice as long as GoW, and can't fall back on any of its characters or story to distract from the combat.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The Witness

Every puzzle improves your skills and offers you hints at how to solve future puzzles.

Even elements of the environment turn out to be puzzles themselves.

Nov 3, 2017
If you do all the sidequests you could easily clear over 100 hrs of distinct, high quality content in Baldur's Gate 2. On top of the sheer volume of classes, subclasses, unique weapons/ armor, party members, etc.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Other then MGS 3 and RE4, Cuphead is just "Boss Rush: The Game" that constantly threw amazing bosses at you with different attack patterns that you need to prepare for if you wanna get an A+ rank. The only times you don't have bosses are the coin and chalice stages but these are a welcome change of pace after 4 or 5 bosses in each isle

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is the first open world game and the first 100 hour game to do this. It's like an 8 hour cinematic Naughty Dog title but +10x the size.

Game continuously felt fresh for 100 hours long, something open world games half its length like Witcher 3 can't manage. Not once in my 100 hour stay did I have to do repeat chores or got a repeat event or felt like I was wasting time doing trivial shit. Even when you go hunting legendary animals shit feels intense and different everytime. It has such a varied amount of locations and you never overstay your welcome in a place, hell some were even underused, there's a huge part of the map that you don't even get missions in (yet?).

RDR2 is definitely gonna impact how I look to open world games from now and reinforce my decision that I should never ever waste time with JRPGs longer than 30-40 hours again (lol bye 100 hour P5).

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Currently playing Divinity: Original Sin II - game feels absolutely bottomless. I'm trying to clear off everything from my log before moving on to the next area, but every corner I turn has something new.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
OP is basically speaking of inefficient game design, a principle I'm against tbh, I respect efficient design much more.

To answer the question, without a doubt the NSMB series, they are incredibly packed, each level introduces a new idea, develops it, masters it and then discards it like chewed bubble gum.

The Donkey Kong Country Retro games are worse, they will introduce an idea, develop it, then introduce another one, develop it, mix two or three ideas together, master them mixed, and then you'll never see those appear again in the game.

Any of this ideas in the NSMB and DKC games can support a full game on its own. This is why no one does platformers anymore, it's incredibly expensive to try to compare with Nintendo.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP is basically speaking of inefficient game design, a principle I'm against tbh, I respect efficient design much more.

To answer the question, without a doubt the NSMB series, they are incredibly packed, each level introduces a new idea, develops it, masters it and then discards it like chewed bubble gum.

The Donkey Kong Country Retro games are worse, they will introduce an idea, develop it, then introduce another one, develop it, mix two or three ideas together, master them mixed, and then you'll never see those appear again in the game.

Any of this ideas in the NSMB and DKC games can support a full game on its own. This is why no one does platformers anymore, it's incredibly expensive to try to compare with Nintendo.
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about games with most content nothing about design being inefficient

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about games with most content nothing about design being inefficient
Yet he discards games with backtracking.

Do you know why there are so many indie Metroidvanias? Because it's efficient game design, and smart developers low on resources can reuse same areas in different ways, so there is a lot of content even though there's not a lot in there.

That's why no one copies Nintendo platformers, they are incredibly expensive to make.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yet he discards games with backtracking.

Do you know why there are so many indie Metroidvanias? Because it's efficient game design, and smart developers low on resources can reuse same areas in different ways, so there is a lot of content even though there's not a lot in there.

That's why no one copies Nintendo platformers, they are incredibly expensive to make.
because generally backtracking is not new or unique content , is it? And Indie needs to do that because of resources not because they want to. I agree with OPs take on that I dont like backtracking either to me is far more wasteful than an open world bloat in AAA game