OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
MH deserves a lot more than a Boss fight, and more food for thought: Historically there are no boss fights in the game that don't have fighters.
I didn't ask what needs more representation. I asked what hasn't had any.

But then again, I also said iconic video game franchise and people are tossing out Dragon Ball and Naruto, so…

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Iconic Franchise? Or Iconic Character within the franchise? 'Cause if it's just the franchise you'll start getting some characters that may be a stretch...

1. Call of Duty Soldier (Call of Duty) (275 million)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (FIFA) (260 million)
3. Trevor (GTA) (250 million)
4. Sim (The Sims) (200 million)
5. Tetrimino (Tetris) (170 million)
6. Edgy Racer (Need For Speed) (150 million)
7. Steve (MineCraft) (144 million)
8. Tom Brady (Madden) (130 million)
9. Chase McCain (LEGO) (100 million)
10. Altair (Assassin's Creed) (100 million)
11. Lionel Messi (PES) (100 million)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Te mothertrucking Tris

And I mean an actual fighter you can pick and use. IDGAF how hard it is to implement.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
On the JP side it's Resident Evil, Dragon Quest and Tekken.

On the western side there are quite a few franchises such as Doom, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Minecraft, Call of Duty and GTA.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Tons of stuff, considering we don't have any third party Western representation outside of a Shovel Knight assist and a Rayman trophy in the last game. Franchises like COD, GTA and FIFA are far more globally "iconic" than, say, Castlevania (I only pick on Castlevania because I'm a big fan). Depending on how you define 'ironic' there are also franchises that don't do COD numbers but have been deeply influential like DOOM as well.

If you're asking which characters are most iconic it's easier to narrow the list because the Western behemoths tend to focus less on mascot characters that are playable throughout franchise history, though there are great exceptions like Tomb Raider.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
A few I think are big enough-
One Piece
Dragon Ball
Tales of...
Yo-kai Watch
Shin Megami Tensei/ Persona
Kingdom Hearts

What I want to see-
Tingle
Chibi-Robo
Yotsuba and Danbo
Amaterasu (Okami)
Klonoa

I really think it's Dragon Quest. They should put these in-
410px-DQIII_Hero_Class.png

Dragon-Quest-Builders-Chapter-3-Challenge-Guide-Obtain-Recipe-For-The-Lyre-Of-Slime-Immemorial-900x506.jpg
you have excellent taste

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe since Fallout Shelter is on the Switch, they can put in Vaultboy as a character.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie....I would be hyped as hell if Bella Goth got into Smash and I don't even play it.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Iconic franchise would be Minecraft followed by Dragon Quest. If we're only considering characters from franchises not in, though, it's probably either Resident Evil or Tomb Raider, yeah. Though I do wonder how recognizeable Steve is to the far larger younger/casual gamer crowd compared to, say, Leon and Lara.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Made a lineup-
smash.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom-

Dragon Quest 3 -male and female main character
Lara Croft -classic outfit
Professor Layton
Morgana -Persona 5
AiAi -Super Monkey Ball
Yotsuba and Danbo -Yotsuba&
Klonoa
Wonder Red -The Wonderful 101
Jibanyan -Yo-Kai Watch
Blue Slime- Dragon Quest
Crono -Chrono Trigger
Sora -Kingdom Hearts
Chopper -One Piece
Palico -Monster Hunter
Jack Frost -Shin Megami Tensei
Amaterasu -Okami
Toad and Toadette -Super Mario series
Chibi-Robo!
Tingle -Zelda series

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Halo, Disney if that counts, Crash, something from GTA (Maybe Claude from 3), Terry Bogard, has Starman been in ome of them?

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think some of you quite grasp the concept of iconic.
There is a difference between iconic franchise and iconic character though. They are basically different things.

Tomb raider is the franchise, Lara Croft is the character, for example.

I wouldn't blame responders in not quite grasping the premise of your topic when it's just simply not rock-solid to begin with.

Edit: Type

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Halo or Tomb Raider

If you asked about Nintendo franchises I would say Advance Wars and Star Tropics need to be in Smash.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Are Arthur and Firebrand out of the question because of MvC?

i think Firebrand would make for an intriguing Smash character.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
There is a difference between iconic franchise and iconic character though. They are basically different things.

Tomb raider is the franchise, Lara Croft is the character, for example.

I wouldn't blame responders in not quite grasping the premise of your topic when it's just simply not rock-solid to begin with.

Edit: Type
Tomb Raider is an iconic franchise and Lara Croft is an iconic character. Setting that aside, some of these examples being given aren't remotely iconic in either sense.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
My first thought was Halo, but Dragon Quest is probably the closest thing there is to a 'right' answer.

They should put Commander Shepard in Smash.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Have to agree with Halo. Master Chief is definitely my dream 'anything goes' pick for a character.

Nov 13, 2017
The big 8:

Space Invaders (maybe)
Minecraft
Tetris
Call of Duty
GTA
FIFA
Angry Birds
Fortnite (maybe)

Known by everyone.

Some smaller franchises, very well known amongst people who play a ton:

Halo
DOOM
(maybe) Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider
(for Japan) Dragon Quest

My dream announcement for Smash would be Cristiano Ronaldo.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, outside of franchises represented, Tomb Raider is the most iconic. A lot people that have zero relation with games can name Lara Croft.

Second one is Mortal Kombat. Ask a random stranger on the street "what is Fatality" they'll all give the same answer.

In Japan, DQ is the king of third party franchises.

If we include the franchises that have never appeared on a Nintendo platform, Half-Life should be on the top. A lot of you said Master Chief but come on. We're talking about Gordon Freeman here. He's nothing compared to the silent crowbar man.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, outside of franchises represented, Tomb Raider is the most iconic. A lot people that have zero relation with games can name Lara Croft.

Second one is Mortal Kombat. Ask a random stranger on the street "what is Fatality" they'll all give the same answer.

In Japan, DQ is the king of third party franchises.

If we include the franchises that have never appeared on a Nintendo platform, Half-Life should be on the top. A lot of you said Master Chief but come on. We're talking about Gordon Freeman here. He's nothing compared to the silent crowbar man.

Please actually do this, lol. If one person out of 100 says Mortal Kombat you get infinite cookies. Unless you were joking, if so my bad.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, we likely would need to start going to other consoles to start pulling ideas. Of course, I'd like to think that having a second fighting game representative in Smash would be nice. Something to which would be a fun excuse to see something like Tekken get in.

Jan 10, 2018
When people think videogames, they think Mario, Pikachu, Tetris and Space Invaders.

So Tetris and Space Invaders. Runners up Lara Croft.

Minecraft, Call of Duty and Fortnite are massive, but they don't represent videogames.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Putting fucking Halo above anything else, lmao

Tetris (think Type A was on the Brawl soundtrack, so I don't think that counts)

Minecraft (sells like hotcakes, has probably sold more worldwide than Halo at this point)

Dragon Quest (hot shit in Japan)

Tomb Raider (big enough that it got movies made based on the series that weren't completely terrible)

Resident Evil (see above, sans the "based on the series" part)

Probably others.

Oct 27, 2017
Iconic. Iconic of what? "Iconic" means that something represents or stands for something. Does Lara Croft represent something in the history of Nintendo? Nah, not really. If you want to use "iconic" as "important", sure, but that's not the actual meaning of the word.

So, I don't see why a bunch of characters that have nothing to do with Nintendo should be in Smash simply because they are "iconic". Master Chief? Someone from GTA? Lionel Messi? Nope. Not if you ask me, that is.

That being said, I do agree with:

Loto/Erdrick (male and female) from DQ3.
Professor Layton
Phoenix Wright
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
Chibi Robo
A Hunter or a Palico (MonHun)
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
A demon from Shin Megami Tensei, like Jack Frost or Pyro Jack
Amaterasu (Okami)
Kunio-kun (Kuni-Kun series, including RCR)

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
If we're talking strictly iconic towards the legacy of Nintendo's history I would definitely say Mortal Kombat's impact was far bigger than Tomb Raider's or DOOM's was. In a contemporary sense though it would probably be Minecraft .