• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
When you get the Love Live mystery grab bag at a con, you've crossed a threshold you cannot come back from

20190602_161626.jpg

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
It's a matter of obsession and fetishization. There's nothing wrong with liking anime, manga and Japanese-related stuff, many people do while at the same time having other hobbies/things they like.

Then there's people who have this fixation with everything Japanese, from anime to the people themselves. I know a guy like this, he learnt Japanese (which is an admirable endeavour) only so he could hang up with Japanese people whom here in Spain are a minority among minorities (usually university students spending some months). He shares a flat exclusively with Japanese people, based on his own admission he buys mostly Japanese food products (despite them being much more expensive here), listens almost exclusively to J-pop and anime music and once I heard him trash talking Spaniards to Japanese while praising the very ground they step on.

Last I heard he got himself into a long distance relationship with a Japanese girl actually living in Japan. Don't know if they met.

For me, that's a weeaboo.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak for quality of English dubs specifically, can't personally judge the state of dubbing into other languages beyond second-hand reports, something that I could've clarified earlier. Preference of sub vs. dub will always be subjective, yet even then it's by no means a fact that the original is always superior, as rare as a localization being regarded as better rather than on par with something happens to be (i.e., Shinichiro Watanabe himself regarding the dub of Cowboy Bebop as superior to the original). It's that stubborn treatment of the issue as an objective truth that gets grating.

It's more about wanting to experience a piece of media as it was seen originally. So even a theoretical "better than the original" dub has very little value to me, as i prefer to watch things in their original configuration, and i don't understand why dub fans have a hard time grasping this very simple fact?

Also i love how Bebpop gets used all the time for this argumment. I don't really care or see why i should care that Watanabe considers the dub better than the original. (Assuming he didn't change his mind) As if that somehow invalidates other peoples prefrence for liking the Original more. It's kind of disingenuous.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
An anime fan/casual watcher is someone who occasionally likes to spend time watching the hot new thing and older perennial cornerstone shows, while maybe reading the manga cause the Anime is behind. Also perhaps watches Gizzuk's seasonal vids for a laugh or two.
A weeaboo is someone who takes that to the extreme. Also a worrying amount of em are starting to show signs of altright behavior, I stumbled on an Anime Waifu rendition of Erika(yes THAT Erika) and I still need bleach after reading the comment section.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another good indicator I thought of is when anyone tries to use the word "isekai" as a genre descriptor

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I call myself a weeb jokingly around my friends but I really don't fit the definition.

Sure I have Gundam model kits all in my apartment... That's totally fine...

(Honestly, I'd rather be a weeb than be borderline sexually obsessed with college football like most people around me are. Roll Tide my ass)

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I would say just someone with a general obsession with the medium and holding Japanese culture above all else, especially above their own.

I mean I like anime even though I only watch maybe one show a year and I really like Gundam models and play a lot of Japanese games but I don't see Japan as some sort of wonderland. A really cool place to visit I'm sure, but I'm not packing my bags to move there and immerse in their culture lol

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel like weeb is only ever used as an insult so trying to work out an actual definition is complete bullshit.

Like if some big muscle hunk collects lots of nude anime girl figures and openly talks about how hot they are everybody would think he's such a cool dude but if he was big and flabby with a long straggly beard people would call him a weeb.

You can't define insults especially ones that are so inconsistent like weeb.