• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
State of decay 1 on the 360. Sure it was janky but I was BEYOND addicted to it when it came out.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Salt & Sanctuary, Obra Dinn, Hades...

I would recommend CrossCode and One Step From Eden but they run poorly on the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
The most recent game I can think of that fits this mold is Until Dawn on PS4. I was not prepared to love it so much. Makes it an easy recommendation, too.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Hades, Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, and Celeste have given me 100s of hours of content for less than $20 each. These games are significantly better than many AAA releases this gen. Slay the Spire in particular is a masterclass of game design.
I am into deck building games, so I would replace Slay with Stardew Valley.
They all are in my GoTG list (which have probably Outer Wilds on top, but not available on Switch).

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight, I have yet to beat Hades, is the best bang for your buck game on the NSW.

Oct 25, 2017
My holy trinity of games that ive spent at least 100 hours on for 5 dollars

5 bucks on Battlefield Bad Company 2 steam sale in summer 2010 i think
5 dollars on Ys Origin psn sale a couple years ago
5 bucks on OG ff7 back in 2002 at a thrift store

Bonus game
12 bucks on minecraft in 2009 during alpha

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Buying Shovel Knight when it originally came out and getting 3 beefy expansions for free over the years was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, all of it is stuck on the WiiU.

Dec 11, 2017
What's the BEST $20 you ever spent on a single game on any platform?

I think mine would probably be Life is Strange. I got so much enjoyment out of that game, and it all started from playing the demo on a whim.

What's yours?

-----
Bonus thread topic...
What $20 game should I buy on Switch?

I have a $20 gift cert that was given to me a few months back, and I haven't bothered to use it yet. It doesn't have to be "console exclusive" but that's not a deal breaker, and something not insanely difficult and can preferably be played in short bursts (0.5-2 hours here and there. I can't do 2+ hours at a time most of the time)

For context, Switch games I have and love:
Blaster Master Zero
Untitled Goose Game
Animal Crossing
Deadly Premonition
Touryst
Super Mario Odyssey

Games I've considered but haven't bought...
Hades (this seems like it'll be the top recommendation, even though it's $25)
Baba is You

Games that didn't do it for me:
Binding of Isaac
Mario & Rabbids

... I'm just not up to speed on which Switch games would suit me. I look at the eShop, and much like the other digital stores, it's hard to tell which inexpensive games are actually any good.

Help me spend my Nintendo ebucks, Era. You're my only hope.

Hades is so freaking good!

Oct 28, 2017
Ever? Probably Shovel Knight for $19.99. It was my GOTY.

On Switch?.....Katana Zero is 15 bucks and what a ride it is.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Back in the day I purchased a boxed copy of the PC version of Morrowind (back when they came with manuals and large fold out maps) for 1 dollar. I was a big JRPG gamer and that was my first western rpg and that first night playing Morrowind blew my mind. It instantly made JRPG's go from being my favorite genre to being unplayable (due to how linear, restrictive they are and also the turn-based battles).

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Destiny 2 with Osiris+Warmind, i spend a lot of hours playing that game, discovering new secrets and doing raids with new friends.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
I'll put another vote for Hollow Knight. I bought it cause I love the style and at 15 I thought it be a nice short game...boy was I wrong. I still amaze at the amount of content they offer on the game for 15!!!

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Persona 4 Golden is the first one that comes to mind. Final Fantasy VII, when it launched on PSN back in the day, is another one (though I believe that was only $9.99).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Spacechem. Introduced me to a genre I'd barely seen before, and I was enthralled. Have been fiercely loyal to Zachtronics' output ever since.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Anything by Supergiant. Pyre and Hades especially. You can never go wrong with their games.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Wintermoor Tactics Club is the most fun game I played this year and it is currently on sale for $13.19 on Switch.

www.nintendo.com

Wintermoor Tactics Club for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Wintermoor Tactics Club and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Into the Breach is another really great game from last year, that one is on sale right now for $7.49. That said, your OP said you didn't like Mario+Rabbids so if you don't care for tactics games then just get Hades.