• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
We don't know for sure yet, but it looks like my wife is going to accepted into a PhD program at Penn State. She applied kind of on a whim, not really expecting to get in. We don't know anything about the state.

Some things I'm curious about:

Where is the best place to live? I assume we'll live near campus unless I get a job somewhere that makes it smarter to live somewhere in between, but are there any particular nice areas, or ones to avoid?

How do Pennsylvanians feel about Californians? I know we're not the most popular state, and I hear there's resentment in some states toward Californians moving to places with cheaper cost of living.

Anything else I should know? I've lived mostly in SoCal for the last six years so I'm sure the weather will be a huge culture shock.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Philly and Pittsburgh are fine. Everywhere else? They call it Pennsyltuckey for a reason.
Oh. Bring a winter jacket or 2. Trust me.

YuShtink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The area directly around the campus is nice, not sure what prices are nowadays. But outside of a 5-10 mile radius things get pretty rural and conservative pretty quickly. Happy Valley is a nice place though I'd love to go back.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
As someone who got a PhD at Penn State, I hope you like football, beer, and driving 3 hours to do anything interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Californians are not discriminated against lmao. I live near Philadelphia, while technically in Pennsylvania, is not the Pennsylvania you'll be dealing with. I've only driven through the middle of the state.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Bellefonte and Boalsburg are decent areas if you don't want to live in State College.

There's a saying about Pennsylvania - "Pittsburgh on one side, Philly on the other, and Alabama in the middle" - State College is pretty much a city in the middle of farmland, so it's a little odd, heh.

I don't think you'll run into too many issues about being from California. Especially near a college town where not everyone is from in-state.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I never lived anywhere near Penn State, and Pennsylvania itself is an incredibly varied state, both geographically and demographically. There are a lot of cultural and economic differences between, say, Pittsburgh and Philly (where I lived).

I moved there from California and no one batted an eye, so on that front at least I can say you'll be fine.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I don't live in PA so I can't speak for the living circumstance. But as for hating Californians, I think if you don't come off as stuck up y'all should be good to go.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I remember going camping once over there with my father and his friends and visiting a gift shop full of Nazi and Confederate merchandise.

I know you can find that in any rural area of a state, but that memory stood out for me.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
How do Pennsylvanians feel about Californians? I know we're not the most popular state, and I hear there's resentment in some states toward Californians moving to places with cheaper cost of living.

In general no one on the east coast is going to care that you're from California. We'll only care if you bring it up thinking that it's a big deal for some reason. Your neighboring states may have strong feelings about Californians, but east coast residents don't give a shit. The rural parts of PA may not thinking highly of outsiders, but you could be from upstate NY or Florida, they're just miserable people who don't like anyone new.

Now, if you're a caricature of a southern Californian, that will get you some looks.

That said, central PA is pretty fucking desolate. The weather won't be the largest culture shock you're going to experience.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
From Philly area, lived there most of my life... love it there, Pittsburgh's alright, the remainder is a take it or leave it situation. You'll get pockets here and there that are good, but generally speaking the middle of the state is less than awesome.

Penn State is its own thing, so if you are in "Happy Valley" at Main Campus, there's enough up there to keep things interesting. You go 10 miles out of there, and it's just rolling barren plains, scrub trees, and racists for hours in each direction.

The old adage of "It's Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between" holds pretty tight.

you have to pick a side in the great Wawa v Sheetz war
I mean, the answer is Wawa. Sheetz is a pale, sad imitation.

Oct 28, 2017
Born and raised in Philly and moved to Pasadena when I was younger and moved back. The weather shock will be your biggest hurdle I think. It's a nice looking state to drive if you like outdoorsy stuff.

Philly and Pittsburgh are fine. Everywhere else? They call it Pennsyltuckey for a reason.
Oh. Bring a winter jacket or 2. Trust me.

Pretty much this.

Dec 1, 2017
Don't let anyone in here tell you that Pittsburgh is fine. It sucks, we put french fries on sandwiches and salads and it's southwestern Pennsylvania tradition to have a fucking cookie table at your wedding (these are not good cookies). The weather is god awful and people make stupid left turns when they don't have the right of way because yinzers are dumb. The accent is atrocious and nearly as bad as NY and Boston accents. It's one of the least diverse cities in the country and full of white trash in the suburbs. The city layout is awful and is dumb. The restaurants aren't good either. Except for Fiori's pizza, I wish I didn't live here.

Then there's Philly.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I stayed at Penn State for an astro stat seminar. It was a nice town, food is good. I also want to say, that campus is ginormous.

Outside of that? Total Trump country. Me and a bunch of colleagues from around the world went for a trip to a cave. When we were done with that, we checked out a fair, and a tall flagpole with the Confederate army flag was just right there. Had a good time, the environment is nice, but yikes.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't let anyone in here tell you that Pittsburgh is fine. It sucks, we put french fries on sandwiches and salads and it's southwestern Pennsylvania tradition to have a fucking cookie table at your wedding (these are not good cookies). The weather is god awful and people make stupid left turns when they don't have the right away because yinzers are dumb. The accent is atrocious and nearly as bad as NY and Boston accents. It's one of the least diverse cities in the country and full of white trash in the suburbs. The city layout is awful and is dumb. The restaurants aren't good either. Except for Fiori's pizza, I wish I didn't live here.

Then there's Philly.

Hold up, Primanti Bros. is amazing.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Ohio. Add even more Amish people, keep the great zoos and museums but subtract the Rock and Football hall of fames, Cedar Point, and Kings Island. Boom. There you go.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Don't let anyone in here tell you that Pittsburgh is fine. It sucks, we put french fries on sandwiches and salads and it's southwestern Pennsylvania tradition to have a fucking cookie table at your wedding (these are not good cookies). The weather is god awful and people make stupid left turns when they don't have the right of way because yinzers are dumb. The accent is atrocious and nearly as bad as NY and Boston accents. It's one of the least diverse cities in the country and full of white trash in the suburbs. The city layout is awful and is dumb. The restaurants aren't good either. Except for Fiori's pizza, I wish I didn't live here.

Then there's Philly.

Of all the valid things to get upset about in Pittsburgh; you're gonna throw shade at Primanti Bros & the Pittsburgh Left?

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know for sure yet, but it looks like my wife is going to accepted into a PhD program at Penn State. She applied kind of on a whim, not really expecting to get in. We don't know anything about the state.

off the bat, state college is no where near major cities. its in pennsyltucky. BUT, that said, state college is basically a mini city. if she gets the job, live IN state college. its a great town. this is coming from someone who does not like penn state.

Some things I'm curious about:

Where is the best place to live? I assume we'll live near campus unless I get a job somewhere that makes it smarter to live somewhere in between, but are there any particular nice areas, or ones to avoid?

see above. im from philly, so im bias, but i LOVE philadelphia.

Maybe in pennsyltucky? But ive never ever seen or heard anything like that personally.

Anything else I should know? I've lived mostly in SoCal for the last six years so I'm sure the weather will be a huge culture shock.

Philly > Pitt. COME AT ME PITTSBURGH.

added my answers in your quote

Dec 1, 2017

Yeah it was amazing back when Bill Cowher was a rookie coach and Yancy Thigpen was a baller and there were only 3 locations within city limits.

2019 update - it's now proliferated the outlying counties and attracts the clientele that thinks Outback is a formal date night location.

And Kennywood is a relic that needs fucking bulldozed and potato patch fries are a fucking abomination.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Cheaper cost of living, I guess. Hershey Park is a decent amusement park. Outside of the cities, there isn't much variety unless you go up to NY or down towards MD/DC. Wear a coat and prepare for snow and ice during the winter. PA residents will likely not care if you're from California, or any other state for that matter.

I grew up and lived in northern Maryland most of my life, about 5 minutes from the Mason-Dixon line.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Then there's Philly.

As someone not from there but lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years, I thought it was great. One of the densest cities in America outside of NY and Chicago and the topology is amazing. More vertical footage than San Francisco. The sheer amount of urban fabric that survived the "urban renewal" of the 60s is amazing and something to be proud of. Most American cities decimated themselves during this time. Awesome neighborhoods and a unique history.

Accent is indeed terrible but its not as strong as it used to be, imo.

The Pittsburgh Left is also kinda nice, imo. Almost necessary because of the narrow streets.

Weather is on par with almost anything in the East and Midwest. I like it.

But fuck fries on salads. WTF?!

Last edited:

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I'm from NePa so I can weigh in some.

The roads are trash. Nightmare-fuel potholes.

For some reason there's a more than average amount of people obsessed with the Confederacy. I sincerely hope to find out the answer to this one day, considering what side PA was on.

What else... our snack foods are good. Try out middleswarth chips and Tastycakes. And Turkey Hill.

I think that's all. We're kinda boring overall. Definitely go to the Franklin Institute in Philly though.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For someone like me who enjoys rural living, it's a wonderful place to live. But if you're used to being able to walk 5 minutes in any direction and end up at a unique and interesting restaurant, brace yourself because you're living in the middle of nowhere.

While State College is indeed between Pitt and Philly and thus is a part of Pennsyltucky, you're going to be located in a college town, so it's a pretty progressive area until you stray 15 miles outside of the area, in which case you're in solid red 80% Trump territory. But you're not going to be judged for being Californians, though people may look at you like you're crazy for giving up that fine weather to suffer in PA.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
yinzers and yuengling
shittiest roads imaginable.
giphy.gif

URL]

giphy.gif

It's better than Subway and those fundraiser sandwiches people are constantly selling

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Born and raised in Harrisburg, and I can assure you that central PA isn't all bad. Come visit Troegs brewery, and go to Hershey Park when the weather gets nice. I'll confirm that the rural areas are 100% Trump country, though.

(And Sheetz is vastly better than Wawa, don't @ me)

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
For some reason there's a more than average amount of people obsessed with the Confederacy. I sincerely hope to find out the answer to this one day, considering what side PA was on.

What else... our snack foods are good. Try out middleswarth chips and Tastycakes. And Turkey Hill.
Pennsyltuckey is usually the answer to racist fuckery

And yeah, we have Turkey Hill and Turners Tea, shits great.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
based on my interactions with people that work there for the same company as mine... I would say not very nice....

Dec 1, 2017
I would also like to state that the Penn State Creamery or whatever the ice cream there is called, absolutely sucks.

Pittsburgh has 2 good things, Fiori's and Leona's Ice Cream sandwiches.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Everything in-between Philly and Pittsburgh is rural garbage. The worst liquor laws I've ever had to deal with. Also, the weather is trash. Good luck to you and your wife.