• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah thats very true. Given when this leaked game may have been in worse shape then.

The little bit I've heard out of Respawns Jedi game (which admittedly isnt a ton) is that EA are very bullish on how good the game looks

I hope that when it launches it won't be just amazing looking, but an actually good game.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
A combination of the game coming out at a really bad time to get an initial player base, and the general "fuck robots, jetpacks, and wall running, we want boots on the ground!" zeitgeist that happened around the time the Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 trailers came out.

I was convinced that the game could eventually gain a steady playerbase like what happened with R6 Siege and For Honor, but it seems like they didn't get the funds to do the kind of postlaunch support needed for that kind of resurgence.

I forgot it did get drowned at release. But, IMO it was better than BF1 and COD. I don't think there's any FPS this gen that beats it's fun factor ...

Last edited:

Bionet

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot it did get drowned at release. But, IMO I t was better than BF1 and COD. I don't think there's any FPS this gen that beats it's fun factor ...
It can be the best in fun factor, but unfortunately that happened to be the year that people decided that they did not want any more jetpacks.
dpLCzPj.jpg

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
It can be the best in fun factor, but unfortunately that happened to be the year that people decided that they did not want any more jetpacks.
dpLCzPj.jpg
Yea, that boots on the ground crap movement is hilarious to me. If the game is fun I don't mind either way. Well, if anyone wants to play on Xbox One my GT is PrinceKee. Would be nice if we could get some Era TF2 private lobbies going weekly or something...

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seems highly implausible that devs would spout all these loudly in a sushi joint. Including calling their own game 'average'.

Using the EA Play lowkey reveal of the Star Wars game as proof that this 'leak' is legit is quite a stretch.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am sure they are working on a sequel. TF2 was excellent but I still wish they would move on from Source. The engine is aging badly, despite having tweaks etc.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
That's a real shame them. I was under the impression the two games were similar and Respawn had made much more progress in a shorter amount of time, on top of being a more impressive game, so EA decided it was best to move on from Visceral's game.

Either way, it was really sad Visceral go out that way. Real shame will never get to see Amy Henning's Star Wars too. Hopefully one day the story/script details for that game will surface up.
Jade Raymond did note that they were keeping the characters from the original version.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Titanfall 2 has probably the best single player fps campaign since the original MW. The game was a dream to play.

It has some great story potential to carry on, so would love to see more.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 3 is probably, best case scenario, a crossgen holiday 2020 game. Unless another studio aids the development, Respawn aren't big enough for it to come any sooner.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope EA gives Titanfall 3 the space it absolutely deserves

What the hell they were making Medal of Honor? It's weird because Infinity Ward was formed from former MoH devs and Respawn was formed from former Infinity Ward devs. What a full circle.

These two things are connected in an interesting way: Respawn's massive grudge against neue-Infinity Ward (and Activision).

Respawn themselves chose the Titanfall 2 release date because they wanted to stick it to neue-Infinity Ward and Activision by going head-to-head with COD. They thought they could come out on top. What they didn't anticipate was Battlefield 1 slipping it's date and having to go head-to-head with both of them.

They pitched Medal of Honor because, again, they wanted to stick it to Infinity Ward and ATVI.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They're checking their calendars to make sure they're gonna squeese it between two big releases again.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Titanfall 2 turned a lot of the people that loved and supported the first game off because they threw away so many fundamental gameplay systems that made the game fun and unique in order to try and cater to the COD crowd, and also the new emerging trends like "hero" classes. I absolutely love TF1, probably in my top 3 games of all time, but hated the shit out of the TF2 multiplayer tech test, and was severely disappointed in the final game even after they made a few much needed changes.

TF3, well unless they basically throw away everything from TF2 and go back to TF1 as a base and then add new things to it without removing things, I'm not even going to buy it. TF1 is just a better game in almost every way. TF2 was them chasing players that didn't want to and were never going to play TF2 no matter what they did.

People can praise the single player campaign all they want, but that's not why the vast majority of people buy these type of games, especially not when it's the sequel to a massively hyped and massively successful online multiplayer shooter that didn't even have a single player campaign. They dropped the ball on the MP, that's why the sales were disappointing. The "tech test" they released to the public left a horrible taste in peoples mouths. I didn't even buy it on release it was that bad.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It may have underperformed but I wouldn't say it sold very poorly.
It sold poorly compared to the first. The first sold more on an install base of like 7 million at the time than the second did on an install base of like 100 million across 2 consoles.

I remember shortly after it came out, a lot of people were online begging people to buy it, and I think it dropped in price quickly too.
My lord the constant online begging from people telling everyone to buy the game was annoying. On the XB1 subreddit there was almost one every week, it was ridiculous. It almost seemed like astroturfing to try and sell the game.

It also dropped to half price or less after like a month, but apparently that's not a sign of a bomba these days....lol.

That's the problem with a lot of games these days, they put too much money in to developing these games, so they're forced to have way too high expectations in order to be successful.
Their expectations were so high because the original sold around 10 million on essentially the XB1 alone, at a time when it was getting trashed by every media publication around, and there was a lot of trolling and hate aimed at TF because it was an Xbox exclusive.

Add in the PS4 population of like 50 million to the xb1s like 25 million and 10 million should've been a pretty conservative expectation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, EA is just greedy and think all their games are supposed to bring in as much revenue as their microtransaction games.
Titanfall 2 was microtransaction central lol. Their whole DLC plan was centred around cosmetic microtransactions, to the point where actual new content DLC was nearly nonexistent and caused a lot of people to drop the game.

They even made changes to the game specifically because of the microtransactions - they got rid of the awesome, immersive first person titan entering/exiting and executions to make them third person so you could see your skins.

Last edited: