• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the Most You Would Pay for a Disc-Based Playstation (1, 2, & 3) Emulator on PS5 (in USD)?

• $15 - $25

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • $25 - $40

Votes: 37 5.3%
  • $40 - $60

Votes: 83 11.8%
  • $60 - $100

Votes: 124 17.7%
  • $100 - $200

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • $200+... Hey you'd pay that for a good old console these days!

Votes: 64 9.1%
  • Pay for an emulator? I'll emulate for free on my PC, thanks.

Votes: 279 39.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
$0, didn't vote since that isn't an option

I still have original hardware and software for ps1-3 so I'll continue to play those.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'd pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to all of their previous gen games, but I really having a hard time thinking there is money to be made there no matter how loud the enthusiast/collector/game access advocate/game historian voices are.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You're not going to be able to play disc based games because it's a vector for hacking the console.

They want to reduce their attack surface.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'd agree on that one, I've seen many people complain about Sony price gating cloud saves
Yes; but the issue I have is most of these concerns (cloud saves/pay for f2p/etc) seem to be more often brought up by people who don't even own the system in question.

example, people "complain about having to pay for Sony cloud saves" yet don't mention Nintendo doing the exact same thing.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd pay game-price for it. Especially if 1) It worked flawlessly without the glitches and one-off problems that plague so many emulators, and 2) it provided benefits like resolution boosts and framerate boosts where applicable (i.e. games with already-unlocked framerates).

As far as time vs profit goes, I think this would be the better choice than to remaster them all individually and hope they sell. And it takes the original publishers and licensing problems out of the equation completely *cough*Konami*cough*.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
MS got the pass last time when Sony didn't charge for online multiplayer and it did them no good.
Not sure I'm reading this correctly but are you saying MS didn't catch flak for having paid online when Sony didn't during the X360/PS3 era?
Yes; but the issue I have is most of these concerns (cloud saves/pay for f2p/etc) seem to be more often brought up by people who don't even own the system in question.

example, people "complain about having to pay for Sony cloud saves" yet don't mention Nintendo doing the exact same thing.
Good catch, I think many people don't really expect the same things when it comes to online/cloud as they do for MS/Sony, not that I'm saying they shouldn't.

OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'm reading this correctly but are you saying MS didn't catch flak for having paid online when Sony didn't during the X360/PS3 era?

Whatever flak they caught it didn't matter, they still won out the generation.
Sony added paid multiplayer the next gen and also still won out.

So if correlation were causation, charging for online multiplayer for the first time leads to you winning that generation. :P

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good catch, I think many people don't really expect the same things when it comes to online/cloud as they do for MS/Sony, not that I'm saying they shouldn't.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but they are the worst about messing over their customer base tbh. They should get more flak than they do.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever flak they caught it didn't matter, they still won out the generation.
Sony added paid multiplayer the next gen and also still won out.

So if correlation were causation, charging for online multiplayer for the first time leads to you winning that generation. :P
Considering how the Switch is doing even before the Super Nintendo Switch - it looks like the trend will continue.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
You're not going to be able to play disc based games because it's a vector for hacking the console.

They want to reduce their attack surface.
Yet it still has a webkit browser on it, even though it's a bit difficult to get at. As long as it's there, hackers only have to add a "and set up this proxy server, don't worry, you'll only need it once" to whatever they come up with.

The PS4 had an easily accessible webkit browser and got hacked a lot, but it didn't really matter since everyone wants their system to be able to play the latest games and be online. Sony's got a bounty program so hackers send Sony their hacks first.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I hate even the thought of them charging for it and if they ever did do it (I don't think they will), then I think it would be free. But to be honest I'd pay quite a lot if it was a flat fee for everything to play. If it upped the native res too? Oof... don't want to think about how much I'd pay.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
PS1 games came on CD
I think I misread the post I quoted. Made it sound like the poster had an issue with ps4 disc playback on ps5. I think they meant that disc playback from previous gens (1-3) wasn't supported on 4. So like, yeah of course that wouldn't be acceptable BC on PS5. It was non existent. Lol

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It'd be cool and I'd probably pay $50 for it or something (just having easy HDMI output for older games would be of value), but if we're being honest all I really want is the ability to download and play the PS1 Classics I already bought.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing about all this is for $20 you can enable dev mode on an Xbox Series S or X and install retroarch, which will let you run pretty much everything up to and including PS2 games. I'd be sorely tempted to do it except it doesn't solve the PS3 problem.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Zero, backwards compability must be free. Come on Sony, i want to play Silent Hill Downpour and the old games of PS and PS2.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Yet it still has a webkit browser on it, even though it's a bit difficult to get at. As long as it's there, hackers only have to add a "and set up this proxy server, don't worry, you'll only need it once" to whatever they come up with.

The PS4 had an easily accessible webkit browser and got hacked a lot, but it didn't really matter since everyone wants their system to be able to play the latest games and be online. Sony's got a bounty program so hackers send Sony their hacks first.

Well sure.
But my point is that you're not going to get it approved due to the risk.

Also what's the the business case for spending the engineering time on this?

Discs aren't being made of old games so no increased revenue.

At minimum it'll be a few hundred thousand dollars of engineer time.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Well sure.
But my point is that you're not going to get it approved due to the risk.
I don't know that it adds a lot of risk compared to having webkit on the system, especially if there's no save game imports.

Also what's the the business case for spending the engineering time on this?

Discs aren't being made of old games so no increased revenue.

At minimum it'll be a few hundred thousand dollars of engineer time.
The business case is Sony spending some money on keeping the brand strong and helping consumers feel good about their current Playstation purchases. That's something most companies happily spend millions on by running advertisements targeted to current owners. And currently publishers are porting their old Playstation exclusives to modern platforms, which sounds great in that Sony gets some revenue from that, but pretty much all of them are getting ports to other systems. If you have to repurchase Final Fantasy 7 - 12 no matter what platform you buy, it makes it a bit easier to switch.

Sony's seriously hurting in Japan, the console software market there is basically owned by Nintendo. Sony is sitting on multiple gigantic libraries of classic Japanese games that no one can play on their last two systems, notably the systems that have been slowly failing in Japan.

Also, Limited Run Games is more than happy to print old games, they just put out some Sega CD games. I'm sure a LRG physical re-release of something like Metal Gear Solid or Wipeout along with soundtracks and other goodies would do okay.

It wouldn't really take them much work over supporting digital emulation if they even bothered to expand support for that, or if they hadn't already put in extra effort to make a blu-ray drive that can't read CDs.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know that it adds a lot of risk compared to having webkit on the system, especially if there's no save game imports.

The business case is Sony spending some money on keeping the brand strong and helping consumers feel good about their current Playstation purchases. That's something most companies happily spend millions on by running advertisements targeted to current owners. And currently publishers are porting their old Playstation exclusives to modern platforms, which sounds great in that Sony gets some revenue from that, but pretty much all of them are getting ports to other systems. If you have to repurchase Final Fantasy 7 - 12 no matter what platform you buy, it makes it a bit easier to switch.

Sony's seriously hurting in Japan, the console software market there is basically owned by Nintendo. Sony is sitting on multiple gigantic libraries of classic Japanese games that no one can play on their last two systems, notably the systems that have been slowly failing in Japan.

Also, Limited Run Games is more than happy to print old games, they just put out some Sega CD games. I'm sure a LRG physical re-release of something like Metal Gear Solid or Wipeout along with soundtracks and other goodies would do okay.

It wouldn't really take them much work over supporting digital emulation if they even bothered to expand support for that, or if they hadn't already put in extra effort to make a blu-ray drive that can't read CDs.

A web browser is required for PS5 games to support things like uplay or FFXIV.

Adding disc playback for older consoles is more code that could be exploited. That has a technical debt to it.

That's a risk. Especially one which won't drive significant revenue.

How many people still have their old games?
The video game industry is many times larger than it was in previous generations.

Young people aren't going to care about repurchasing games they've never owned.

If console gaming is struggling in Japan, you're not going to get more people playing again by saying "you can dig out this cd and play a game from your youth"

It reminds me of a story of a European mobile telecoms company in Japan that failed. They did adverts advertising international roaming and afterwards market analysis found the potential audience was only about 50,000 people.

Animal crossing on the switch sold 6 million in Japan. A re-release of a physical version of an old game isn't going to do that.

Also why is it extra effort to not support CDs?
Blu ray have a different wavelength laser.

DVDs use the red wavelength laser that audio CDs do but a different focussing to CDs. So it's more expensive to support audio CDs.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How how about a bump in light of some recent patent news involving Sony patenting a process for elbowing trophies into emulated games?

Is PS5 Adding PS3, PS2, and PS1 Backward Compatibility? New Sony Patent Has PlayStation Fans Speculating

So what would you pay for a stand-alone emulator on PS5 that lets you play PS1, PS2, and PS3 disc-based games?
You bumped for this shit? This sounds like a very old patent. They did this with PS2 on PS4 games already.

Status
Not open for further replies.