Will you be happy with silent protagonist?

• Yes

Votes: 632 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 159 20.1%

• Total voters

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Silent protagonist was one of DQXI's biggest drawbacks to me.
Not a complete dealbreaker but I'll shake my head in disappointment once we get to hear about this.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Fine with it. Not every decision in every game needs to be for everyone. If it's a dealbreaker for you, I'm glad there are hundreds of other games every year for you to enjoy.

Oct 30, 2017
i will be completely fine with it.

might as well ask why we're supposed to feel threatened by blue blobs 12 games in. at this point i'll just be happy if the thing ever even comes out.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My reaction would be a slow, zooming camera pan into my plain unchanging face. Much like the DQ11 protagonist when life changing revelations about him are discovered.

I generally don't really care, but if the protag is silent don't also make the blank nothing character itself pivotal to the plot/lore.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I'll be happy to see Dragon Quest XII existing no matter what. It will have the last DQ protagonist Toriyama designed. Can't be in a foul mood for this game. I hope to look at it with reverence.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
I can take it or leave it to be honest. I'd prefer it with a VA though.

Joker from P5 was the same and it didn't detract from the experience.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with it.

Better yet, we could have a choice of hero genders like in DQ4.

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
something something Elden Ring, TotK, Doom/Doom: Eternal, Dead Space, Metroid: Dread, Hollow Knight, etc something something

I dont view Doom and Metroid as story/character "driven" games. Elden Ring is kinda, I dont know, I dont appreciate FS's storytelling so whatever. I didnt finish HK so I cant speak about that but Totk and BotW suffer a lot in this regard. Seeing zelda being emotional and talking about some serious stuff while Link just stays therr like a frozen cold plank is just weird.

Oh, and Dead Space remake is so much better in story and character segments just because MC now speaks.

So in my eyes, the point still stands, although I will aknowledge that there are some exceptions where silent protag can work and did work.

My main point is, why are we thinking that talking MC cannot make the game better?

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I hope the developers do what they think will make the best game. Whether that is another silent protagonist or not.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know I like their silent protag so few games do it these days that it feels novel if not cozy

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I wouldn't be happy, no, but I also wouldn't be surprised. It's a series staple despite how little I like it. It actively made the last one a worse game, I'll never forget one of the scenes where an important character died, and you have the MC just being gormless. Completely took me out of it.

At the very least they should make it customisable if they're going to force a silent protagonist. You can't argue it's meant to be a self insert if you won't even let people choose lol.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will be indifferent. I don't like silent protagonists, but they aren't a deal breaker. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time... So, I can deal.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less if the main character is a piece of broccoli let alone one that talks. For the love of everything holy please give us some new fucking music.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
The real question - Is he going to be a Goku, Vegeta or Trunks?

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Wut, where does Gordon Freeman land on this scale and what even is this scale
I think Link and the Joker are interesting bc Link has expressive faces, yelps, has moments of goofiness. Joker gets some funny dialog options, and when he's in his masked mode he's kind of maniacal. They may not do much talking, and their personalities are limited enough that they can still be projected on, but they are at least amusing or interesting when their small moments of characterization do come out.
DQ11 protag just kind of stands around. I don't remember him doing anything other than just being someone who gets talked at. (But then, I dropped DQ11 so maybe I missed when he started acting with any kind of charm.)

I've never played Half Life so idk about Freeman. I have played Portal 1 and 2 though, so if Chel is anything like Freeman then I'd say they're boring/not interesting either. Chel is just a vehicle for moving around to do the puzzles and direct the player to the actual characters in that game. But I don't mind that in first person games. That's just a me thing.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I will literally only play it if it does have a silent protagonist. Silent protagonists are incredibly powerful for player interpretation of events, even just how your inner voice reads text immerses you more into the game than shutting your brain off and letting a voice actor read the script to you.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Maybe we need to define what a silent protagonist is but imo BG3 is far from silent. Character has a million things to say.

DQ / Zelda are examples of a silent protagonist. Because they're actually silent. And I generally agree that having them be soulless dolls in cutscenes sucks. Doesn't work in modern games.

Jan 21, 2019
Not a fan of japanese style silent MC (Persona, Dragon Quest) but I am fine with western style ones where you are basically the one talking.

It's so weird to see these characters in Persona get attached to a Person with the charisma and presence of wet cardboard, going so far as to make you their leader. It's just weird. (I love Persona games, though.)

I prefer the cast to be full of unique characters as you can find in the Tales of games.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
As long as he doesn't look fuckin stupid like the Luminary, I could care less whether he is silent.

Or she, that would be cool too.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I will not care. Silent protagonists in today's world honestly have a charm to them voiced ones have.

There are silent protagonists, and then there are moments like this:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
(take a look at Eleven's non-reaction here).

You should make silent protags at least a bit expressive, even Pokemon got the message after Sun and Moon.
This is pretty much my only issue with silent protagonists. Let them react to things, let them have emotions. The soulless puppet stands out like a sore thumb with modern graphics.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I will literally only play it if it does have a silent protagonist. Silent protagonists are incredibly powerful for player interpretation of events, even just how your inner voice reads text immerses you more into the game than shutting your brain off and letting a voice actor read the script to you.
But that's such bullshit (according to OP).

Honestly I'm starting to think some people just don't have an inner voice.