It's time for a makeover. What are we updating the name to?

• Soulsdenring

Votes: 54 6.9%
  • Bloodenring

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • Elden-Like

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • Ring-Lite

Votes: 8 1.0%
  • Sekiroring

Votes: 14 1.8%
  • Soulsbornekiroring

Votes: 436 55.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 228 29.1%

• Total voters

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
surprised-surprise.gif

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think you've misunderstood me, I meant to say that I don't really see the current Souls series being influenced by other games that were inspired by the souls series since it hasn't been going on long enough for that "feed back" to happen imo.

On the other hand you could arguably say that ever since "metroidvania" became a thing, later Metroid games were influenced by games that initially were following in the series footsteps.

But none of that matters. It's not a requirement that a feedback influences the namesake title(s). For ages nothing influenced the pinnacle Metroidvania titles, but that didn't stop them from being Metroidvania or new Metroidvania titles being released.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I think you've misunderstood me, I meant to say that I don't really see the current Souls series being influenced by other games that were inspired by the souls series since it hasn't been going on long enough for that "feed back" to happen imo.

On the other hand you could arguably say that ever since "metroidvania" became a thing, later Metroid games were influenced by games that initially were following in the series footsteps.

I don't think that precludes you from grouping the original games into the genre that they gave birth to. Nobody would argue that Doom isn't a first person shooter.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Soulsborne was always a bit dumb. Souls-like makes more sense.

While we're at it can we change Metroidvania to just Metroid-like? Castlevania sort of just latched onto an existing formula (to largely great effect, has to be said)

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Soulslike which is what it always should have been

Soulsborne was always dumb and I'm baffled it caught on

Green

Oct 27, 2017
From's games are actually just Zeldavanias, the ARPG sub genre adjacent to Metroidvania.

;-)

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Soulsborne was always a bit dumb. Souls-like makes more sense.

While we're at it can we change Metroidvania to just Metroid-like? Castlevania sort of just latched onto an existing formula (to largely great effect, has to be said)

No, bc SotN significantly changed up how Metroidvania titles could be designed. The combined titles are the pinnacle of the designs for the genre. Bloodborne on the other hand didn't really do a lot to change Souls-like titles from previous entries.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Soulsborne. Elden Ring is like 90% Dark Souls, so I'm throwing it in with the rest of the series.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I don't think that precludes you from grouping the original games into the genre that they gave birth to. Nobody would argue that Doom isn't a first person shooter.
Doom is also different because for a long time the genre was know as "doom-clones". First person shooter is not a term that refers back to Doom, unlike souls-like. That's also my problem with "Souls-like" for the main series, because it's the same meaning, the term "souls-like" necessarily indicates something that was derived from Souls, and that is fine for the most part, but it makes no sense when talking about the actual Souls games Fromsoftware has been making this whole time.

But none of that matters. It's not a requirement that a feedback influences the namesake title(s). For ages nothing influenced the pinnacle Metroidvania titles, but that didn't stop them from being Metroidvania or new Metroidvania titles being released.

It's not about requirements, it's just a an argument for why Souls-like as a term for the genre is not comparable to Metroidvania. But whatever, the point is that retroactively calling From's souls games "souls-likes" goes against the very meaning of something being a souls-like. They are The Souls games, souls-like are the other games influenced by the series.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Nothing. The amount of people who even call it soulsborne is miniscule. Its gonna be called a souls game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Souls games as usual.

I hate BB fans had to insert the borne part in there because of course they did.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Doom is also different because for a long time the genre was know as "doom-clones". First person shooter is not a term that refers back to Doom, unlike souls-like. That's also my problem with "Souls-like" for the main series, because it's the same meaning, the term "souls-like" necessarily indicates something that was derived from Souls, and that is fine for the most part, but it makes no sense when talking about the actual Souls games Fromsoftware has been making this whole time.

I don't like genres that are named after specific games either. But we just haven't come up with a better term for Soulslike or Metroidvanias. That doesn't preclude their application though if it's the best we have. It doesn't make sense to single out those games to the exclusion of all their successors when talking about the genre as a whole.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I don't like genres that are named after specific games either. But we just haven't come up with a better term for Soulslike or Metroidvanias. That doesn't preclude their application though if it's the best we have. It doesn't make sense to single out those games to the exclusion of all their successors when talking about the genre as a whole.
It does make sense though. The From Souls games are first of all Action RPGs. They have their unique take on it, but it's what they are. It's why many people use "Souls" or "Soulsborne" when talking about the ones Fromsoftware makes, and leave "Souls-like" for the ones made by other developers.

And those "Souls-like" games don't even have to be action rpgs at all, further justifying the separation.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's just Souls when talking about From games and Souls-like when talking about other developers.
Just because Bloodborne is your favorite doesn't mean you need to insert it into everything.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
It does make sense though. The From Souls games are first of all Action RPGs. They have their unique take on it, but it's what they are. It's why many people use "Souls" or "Soulsborne" when talking about the ones Fromsoftware makes, and leave "Souls-like" for the ones made by other developers.

Yes, ultimately they are all action RPGs; but there is a distinct subgenre that has developed around Souls mechanics that other non-From developed games have embraced and extended. If there's utility to recognizing it as a subgenre then it makes no sense to distinguish the From games from the successors. If you don't want to talk about it as a subgenre at all then that's fine too, but i do feel that there's enough similarity between all those specific games versus other types of ARPGs to warrant it.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is the name Soulsborne even a thing? Bloodborne is basically a Souls game. I just go with Souls for From Software stuff and Souls-like for anything else

Last edited: