Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I find it gross that people make furries the butt of jokes even here. Like do you not see the glaring hypocrisy?

Samoyeti

Oct 27, 2017
Also, how will we approach the issue of more extreme mental health disorders or extreme sexual deviancy, like say psychopaths/sociopaths, pedophiles, etc. Do we just accept that some people are born irredeemable?

Rehoboam will decide that for us!

In all seriousness, I also wonder about this too. I assume scientific advancements in the future can possibly correct the chemical imbalances in the brains of certain individuals but that also opens up the question of the morality behind those decisions.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Something I've noticed popping up in certain LGBT spaces I'm in is the concept of "plurality." Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) is a very, very rare condition in the psychiatric literature, but I've increasingly noticed people online identifying with having multiple people ("alters") sharing one mind. I don't personally understand it, but maybe future research will reveal a neurological basis for this, the way that researchers are starting to identify changes in brain structure correlated with being transgender.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
User Banned (1 week): trolling
People of the future will wonder about how we did not eat insects, prohibited weed, treated incest as bad, enjoyed zoos and how we could let it happen that history repeats itself.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think meat consumption will be something that is not looked at fondly in 100 years.

I mean, I think we'll still be fighting for all the same shit we're fighting for now, but I think vegetarianism will be pretty mainstream.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
More emphasis on Ableism as people gain better prosthetics/cyberparts/genetic modification at birth/later

Also, still racism and classism

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Something I've noticed popping up in certain LGBT spaces I'm in is the concept of "plurality." Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) is a very, very rare condition in the psychiatric literature, but I've increasingly noticed people online identifying with having multiple people ("alters") sharing one mind. I don't personally understand it, but maybe future research will reveal a neurological basis for this, the way that researchers are starting to identify changes in brain structure correlated with being transgender.
Sounds like maybe an extension of the self-categorization theory of identity, where your identity as an fan of whatever is separate from your identity as your profession and as your family position and so on, and you act a little differently depending on which identity is at the forefront. I think that's an accurate way to look at how people act but don't know how significant it is to understand it like that.

I wouldn't bring DID into it because this isn't a disorder.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
the biggest will probably be immigration and refugees. climate change is gonna displace hundreds of millions of people and there will likely be major pushback against accepting people.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Hey these people are getting flooded out of their homes via rising ocean levels, but now it's affecting richer white people"

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Workers rights.

That 1% of people were allowed to live the good life while the 99% were serfs to the neo oligarchs will be viewed upon in the future as the height of barbarity and injustice.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Even in a far future where a lot of physical labor can be automated, most people will still wake up and go do stuff. The difference would be that you're doing it because you want to and you're passionate about it, you're not being exploited or unnecessarily endangered in the process, and your continued survival isn't predicated on the monetary value you produce for your boss.

In many european countries a lot of people are well compensated and not exploited for the work they do - so that will hopefully be the future for all. But it's still work. Even if your work is to play video games and eat candy - if it's an obligation, it's still work, you still dislike mondays - and you won't do it unless you're compensated. But the idea that people won't be employed or just do things they are passionate about is unrealistic for the next several centuries. So is the idea that employment is, by default, slavery. The things I read here are really strange.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be environment. Most big cities and economies are coastal. New York, Miami, SF, all being underwater is gonna be something else.

Climate change will also affect the global south heavily. Water wars and such.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Civilization is not a linear progression of stuff getting better permanently,

Look, I know 2020 has been really tough on everyone and Era is not the most optimistic of places, but civilization is getting constantly better. It's not linear when you look segments of it, but zoom out and yeah, it's pretty much a linear progression. Don't believe me? Take any aspect of life and compare it with 100 years ago. Then compare that with 200 years ago, etc.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Pro-vaxxers vs Anti-vaxxers. Not sure how that will fall on the political spectrum cuz currently there seems to be crossover there. But as humans fuck with nature more and even deadlier animal-borne diseases transition over to humans, vaccinations and quarantining will become more pronounced issues in the future of humanity.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get out of my fifth perm on era. 😂
Well if we're talking 2077 certainly trans people.
ylePesV.gif

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I think a big sleeper issue is aged and disability care. In particular whether or not we decide to put older people in nursing homes - there will be a big re-evaluation of this after Covid19 has spread like crazy through aged care facilities.

Randubik

Jan 4, 2019
After solving every problem of prejudice and inequality between humans, and establishing a new kind of coexistence with the rest of the living beings in this planet… Perhaps the debate might move to the adequacy of running simulations of deceased people, as a duty towards ancestors and as away of coping with death.

Don't get ahead of yourself, we will have to relitigate the progressive issues of yesterday when the fascists take power everywhere and set us back ~200 years.

Civilization is not a linear progression of stuff getting better permanently, there are highly successful forces in play who are going to cause massive backslides.

But before that, probably this. Ecofascism is a real threat.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
You know, after seeing the whole "masks are bad because it blocks the faces that god made" arguments from actual fucking senators, I can't imagine how they'd react to Deus Ex style human augmentation.

Then again, they'd probably be for it as it would likely extend the lifespan of billionaires. Maybe the actual issue is who deserves to be augmented and how to make it affordable?

How far into the future are we talking?

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
At some point, humanity is going to have to have a very real discussion about population control and I feel like progressives could go either way with it. Maybe even split the left in two.

Some will be pro reproduction restrictions to help our planet while others will be pro human rights to reproduce.

Oct 27, 2017
There will be no future for anyone sooner than later if we don't pretty much whole sale switch to a nuclear-power-based economy. It is the only technology that has a real chance of mitigating global warming AND increasing everyone's standard of living simultaneously.

For fission reactors, you have soon to be commercialized Molten Salt Reactors (MSRs). These will save us in the immediate term. We have enough nuclear fuel between uranium and thorium to last tens to hundreds of thousands of years at current global energy consumption rates. For fusion reactors, ARC collider reactors with a FLIBE molten salt blanket will likely make netting fusion power possible. That will be the end game technology that saves and improves everyone's life on earth for however long humanity can persist into the future (no limit as sea water is the fuel).

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The future future?

Voluntary transhumanism, I imagine. Replacing otherwise healthy limbs or organs with cybernetic ones.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gene editing for sure.

Regressives will demonize the objective health benefits as going again God or the natural order. Some nonsense along those lines. They'll opt to let themselves and their children suffer sickness, disability, and age-related infirmities as if taking the hand you're dealt by nature is a sign of moral purity.

The good news is they'll grow weaker and dumber as the rest of humanity becomes a better version of itself. The bad news is that people will probably tolerate their toxic influence for many decades too long, resulting in preventable misery and death on an obscene scale.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
You know, after seeing the whole "masks are bad because it blocks the faces that god made" arguments from actual fucking senators, I can't imagine how they'd react to Deus Ex style human augmentation.

Then again, they'd probably be for it as it would likely extend the lifespan of billionaires. Maybe the actual issue is who deserves to be augmented and how to make it affordable?

How far into the future are we talking?

probably being reductive here but i'd imagine it'd go like:

gop incumbency: "aww this augmentation thing is THE SHIT"

dem incumbancy: "mark of the beast OMG, what about humanity??"

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
In many european countries a lot of people are well compensated and not exploited for the work they do - so that will hopefully be the future for all. But it's still work. Even if your work is to play video games and eat candy - if it's an obligation, it's still work, you still dislike mondays - and you won't do it unless you're compensated. But the idea that people won't be employed or just do things they are passionate about is unrealistic for the next several centuries. So is the idea that employment is, by default, slavery. The things I read here are really strange.
Read even a tiny amount of Marx. Nothing I'm saying is even remotely new, novel, or strange.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recommend starting with The Communist Manifesto, it is the easiest way to get into Marx.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
At some point, humanity is going to have to have a very real discussion about population control and I feel like progressives could go either way with it. Maybe even split the left in two.

Some will be pro reproduction restrictions to help our planet while others will be pro human rights to reproduce.
Humanity produces enough (and more than enough) food to feed literally every single person on earth, and that capacity to feed will increase as technology moves forward. The issues of hunger and inequality are more essentially issues of capitalistic and political systems. Overpopulation is indeed a major factor in climate change as well, but it's impact is much decreased when weighed against the effects of uncontrolled industry. And then you get into the racial, eugenist, and xenophobic politics of controlling population, and eesh.
Be careful when thinking that overpopulation is the main cause of our existential threats, especially when it is oftentimes capitalistic interests leading us to those thoughts (I was in that mindset for a while myself until my economist friend called me out and I read more on the subject).

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Probably our entire economic system and the moral bankruptcy if it all. Just how we look at the ridiculous notion of divine selection for monarchy rule and nobility, future generations will laugh at our system that was practically the same but with the lie that anyone could become the king if they worked hard enough as the major rule change.