• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I thought all 3D games looked way worse than the 2D games I had, and as far as I can remember, all games, amazing and awful, just kinda melted into a general category of "fun."

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
My first N64 exposure was Banjo Kazooie at a cousin's house, and that was my "OH SHIT, that looks AMAZING!"* moment, so by the time I saw Mario 64 (rented from Blockbuster at some point) my reaction was "eh, Banjo looks better."

*Not in those words, of course. lol

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I remember seeing the first time Mario leaping into 3D. I thought it was a best thing I ever seen and played back then. Very magical times.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
i don't even remember, this was what, back in 96?

Gotta rack up those good boy points.

My first N64 exposure was Banjo Kazooie at a cousin's house, and that was my "OH SHIT, that looks AMAZING!"* moment, so by the time I saw Mario 64 (rented from Blockbuster at some point) my reaction was "eh, Banjo looks better."

*Not in those words, of course. lol

It's gotta be pretty wild to be exposed to Banjo before Mario 64. I remember the marketing build up to Banjo very clearly as Rare's take on the game.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I still remember getting an N64 for Xmas. We plugged it into the downstairs TV. I can see the wood entertainment system the old CRT is in. Right next to me is a bunch of Xmas paper torn to shreds.

And it's glorious. Holy shit, but whatever that translates to in innocent 8 year old. I remember jumping into the first level thinking the graphics were amazing. I didn't know how it could get better. This was the future.

I've not felt that way about gaming again.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I loved the way Mario felt with the controller, and knew I was done with Sega on my next birthday lmao

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It's still the biggest leap I've ever experienced in the medium. I rode my bike to Blockbuster whenever I could to play it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I ran around in front of the castle for like 30 straight minutes. I couldn't even believe what I was playing.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
My mom had to set a timer to insure fairness in play time distribution. She's an angel, adult me is amazed at the shit she put up with lol.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I went from Mario Bros to Mario 64 when I was so little I could barely remember anything at all; went to the game store with my dad several times to play it with other kids at the demo unit

I remember also walking down a mall and a huge pile of N64 with M64 were stacked against an entire wall lol

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It didn't look as good as Yoshi's Island. Played well, but I had played Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon before it, so the 3D platformer aspect of it wasn't a wow factor for me.

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think I was a junior at Bridgewater State College. Had a 26" tube TV on my desk at the dorm. Pretty sure my roommates and I finished the game in a week. I definitely remember seeing that opening area and just being floored by the controls and how fluid it was. Especially compared with the ps2 up until that point.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I was into it, but I was pretty young (like, 7). I remember being way more into Ocarina of Time when I got it.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the graphics were ugly, but the gameplay looked outstanding. 3D N64, SDC, and PS1 games are eye sores imo. Castlevania: SotN is my favorite looking game of that generation. 3D games were way better on GC, PS2, and XBOX.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
It was amazing - it was unlike anything I had ever seen before gaming wise ("You can go any direction!!")
I don't think a game has ever amazed me quite like that one.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The transition from 2D graphics to blocky/chunky 3D was rough.

My brain could not comprehend why it was so blocky.

FF7 was rough too with all the mismatched player models. Some scenes having a mishmash of geometric shaped bodies with no mouths, some rendered CG movies, etc etc.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Tomb Raider first so I was not impressed. I know that TR came later but I did not know it at the time.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It sparked my imagination like no other game had at the time.
"Healthy obsession" is what it was.
I dreamed about the hardware and software.
I actually had a dream about a mario RPG 64

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember turning on Bad Influence in the afternoon and Violet Berlin was reporting from Spaceworld:

Mind was blown

Didn't get to play it myself until it had that early pricecut. I had been saving for a while but didn't expect to buy one till the next year, but they lowered the price by £100 really early so I managed to get one the year it came out, which was a first for me (My NES and SNES had been bought in their twilights). Mario was incredible and it was all worth it.

I was always disappointed there was no silver ironknuckles in Zelda like in that sizzle trailer lol

Oct 28, 2017
Got it at launch and my mind was utterly blown. It was such a far leap over everything that came before it that I can't see ever recapturing that feeling. Truly an industry shaking game, one that built the foundation of everything we're playing today.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I memorized this issue's massive SM64 feature, fulllll of screenshots, well before I stumbled upon a playable kiosk at a Blockbuster Video. I'm pretty sure I refreshed N64.com a few times a day just in case any news about it came up. I was absolutely obsessed from the moment I saw what looked like a truly 3D character moving around a truly 3D environment, complete with free camera rotation as an option. It translated really well to magazine screenshots in ways that 3D fare like Nights and Jumping Flash never could.

Wow. This is me to a "T." I can't tell you how many times I pored over that issue of Next Generation. And any other mag that featured new info on the game. And I also played it for the first time at Blockbuster video before launch. It was one of those rare moments in life where all of the hype, including the expectation you've built up in your own mind, was completely met and surpassed.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played on a Blockbuster demo unit and it was possibly the most underwhelming experience I've ever had. I dislike practically everything about Mario 64. The camera, my god that camera is demonic. Also, this is my own provincial partiality coming into play, but like other characters I grew up with, such as Sesame Street and Ninja Turtles, Mario is a New Yorker (Capt Lou Albano for example). That Charles Martinet opening voice was just so over-the-top off-putting to me at 11 years old. Plus that shitty midi audio hurt my ears. Ugh, I could go on. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I actually wasn't very impressed. I had a pc and was used to seeing stuff in 3d like Tomb Raider and Quake.
I first saw Mario 64 at a friends house and remember thinking it didn't look that special after all the hype.
I also remember thinking Mario's voice was the most stereotypical overused exaggerated Italian voice they could've went with. It just felt so cliched and unoriginal. Like the sort of thing you'd hear in a bad commercial for some Italian food or something. I remember thinking they could've done a better job with selecting a voice than this.

And it's not that I was a PC snob or anything like that. I've always played on both console and pc, still do.
I went from a C64 to a NES, to a Amiga, to a SNES and somewhere in there I got a Game Boy too and then a PC and a N64 and so on.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was astounded enough for it to be basically the only game I played for an entire year as a kid. It was more than enough til my bro got me hooked on Pokemon

Oct 27, 2017
I recall being distinctly disappointed when I first saw it in action (at Toys R Us). I loved the 2D graphical style of Mario in Mario 3 and World, and didn't really feel the crude 3D of 64. Even at the time it was a clear step back to me in some ways.

That being said, the game has only grown on me throughout the years and I still play it regularly.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
i never played it and tbh never had the interest

PS1/N64 games look bad to me, i wasn't even born yet

but i see how it's so influential and i respect it very much

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
"There's never going to be a better 3D mario than this.. This is peak of platform games"

And i was right

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My local game store got it imported and had it on display months before many in the US even knew what it was. I still think it's the best launch game ever and buying the N64 alone just for that game was worth the price. The closest game to come close to blowing my mind the way Mario 64 did was when I first played Astro Bot VR

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We'd go to the mall and they'd have a kiosk of 64 at sears and I'd just play it for at least an hour every time we went. Absolutely mystifying. Similar experience when Sonic Adventure had kiosks, but it was only a single level.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
GOAT

It has since dropped to #4 but is still my favorite platformer. Remarkable for a 24 year old game.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Had been playing computer games for a long time so wasn't super impressed with it compared to, say, Quake.

That being said, playing it for the first time in earnest in 3D All Stars versus UltraHLE or whatever in 2001 and it holds up pretty well.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
My local game store got it imported and had it on display months before many in the US even knew what it was. I still think it's the best launch game ever and buying the N64 alone just for that game was worth the price. The closest game to come close to blowing my mind the way Mario 64 did was when I first played Astro Bot VR

damn I really need to play astrosvr!! Hopefully there's an updated vr headset coming??

Aug 1, 2018
This sums it up for me:

giphy.gif

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We saw it at some random electronics show in Toronto way back before the N64 was on its way (maybe that summer?).

Needless to say, my parents (who played the NES game), my brother and I (cut our teeth on SNES) were all blown the fuck away. We couldn't believe it lol.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
First time seeing it running in person was at our local video store, absolutely amazing! They had a demo up for people to play, I picked up the controller and tried to control Mario... with the d-pad! :P

Seems funny now but really, it was all I knew before then! "Why can't I just use the d-pad?? This other thing is all new and scary, not what I'm use to!"

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Couldn't believed it.
The only other time, with a little bit less impact, was GTA III.
Same for me. Although I was already a big fan of GTA 1 & 2. So when coverage of GTA 3 started early on and it was first revealed it would be fully 3D instead of top-down, I was immediately hyped out of my mind, I knew what the implications were for that type of game. I was still gobsmacked when I finally got my hands on it.