• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finished:
Horizon ZD...nah
Divinity OS1...maybe!
Mario Odyssey...nah
XBC2...maybe! (Though combat got real dull fast)
Yakuza 0...maybe!
God of War 3...nah
Okami HD...nah
Hellblade...nah
Lego Marvel 2...nah

So either XB2, Yakuza, or Divinity OS1 all I enjoyed more than the rest. Tough choice!

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I can't pick Dead Cells or far cry 5, because they did come out this year. So,

Hollow Knight
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Titan Fall 2
Killing Time at Lightspeed
Rezo Gun

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This year I have played some amazing games:

Illusion of gaia
Ys origin
Undertale
Bioshock 2
Jeanne D'arc
Ys Seven
Doom 2016
Hollow Knight
Castlevania: order of ecclesia

I'll have to give it to Hollow Knight. A worthy metroidvania that is well crafted, beautiful and full of content.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne - got th platinum and 100% the dlc. One of my favorite games of all time.
Rocket League on Switch
Ori and the Blind Forest
Titanfall 2 - my favorite FPS campaign maybe ever

Gave Hollow Knight about 10 hours of my time on Switch before deciding I hate that game. I've played few games in my life that have less respect for the player's time.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
ELEX - The epitome of a flawed gem. Probably wouldn't recommend to anyone but the most ardent sandbox RPG fans, but for those who can over some jank it's an ambitious little game with excellent world building and exploration, solid characters, and surprisingly strong quest design. The best "Fallout" game I've played this gen.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only got a Switch this year so it's easily Breath of the Wild. First time in years that a game has entered my top 10 of all time.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Not sure if this counts or not since it came out for Switch this year, but it's a Wii U port from a few years ago, but Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was absolutely delightful.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Dead Cells if that counts since it was in early access before.

If not, then I guess The House of Fata Morgana. I'm loving it, but not that far in it yet (just to door/chapter 3).

Otherwise I haven't played many older games this year, and the ones I did like Hollow Knight I ended up not liking aside from the two above.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This would have to be PUBG for me. I sunk 100s of hours into that game in the first half of the year.

However I did get around to play Resident Evil Biohazard and that game was also fantastic.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn. Its rare for me to want to actually finish a big open world game of this type, but I really enjoyed the world of HZD and I wanted to bring it to completion. I really enjoyed Aloy as a protagonist, the environment design, the side stories just everything about this game kept me coming back.

Honorary Mentions:

Bloodborne: It has easily become my favorite souls game. I finished it this year, but I played about a quarter of it the year of release which is why I'm not fully counting it. Otherwise it would be my Backlog GOTY.

Until Dawn: I played through it with a friend and we each chose half the cast to control/roleplay as and we had an absolute blast. Not sure how I would've felt about it solo, but together it was great.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm: I had no real hopes for this prequel to one of my favorite games (Life is Strange was my backlog GOTY for 2016). I had been turned away by the announcement of it since I didn't really feel it was necessary to retread on the past of characters who had already been fully explored in LiS. However, Before the Storm turned out to be a really great romp through Arcadia Bay.

Okami HD: I have not finished this one so I'm not fully counting it, but I'm fully loving it so far. Great music, great aesthetic, great game.

Gengar

Apr 8, 2018
Funny story: even though I have a switch and a PS4, my backlog GOTY is a 3ds game.

I had never played Fire Emblem until I picked up Echoes last February. I enjoyed almost everything about it; story, characters, gameplay, etc. I've now played through it twice; my first run was without permadeath (because I sucked), then later I did a run with permadeath, which made the experience so much more intense and satisfying. This game is quite possibly my favorite 3ds game, which is crazy considering I hadn't even played Fire Emblem until then.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
SteamWorld Dig 2 - Glorious presentation, tight controls, and smart distribution of upgrades. Man, what a polished experience.

Crookz - The Big Heist - A tactical strategy game set in the funky 1970's with a slick and groovy atmosphere. Textbook example of a B-tier release that knows its budget limitations and delivers a polished experience that successfully punches above its weight.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me. I beat it last year, but I still played another 50 hours of postgame stuff this year.

AC Origins is another solid option, though I ended up loving Odyssey much more.

I also got pretty into Stardew Valley and Darkest Dungeon on Switch.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I finally finished Dark Souls. So yeah, Dark Souls.

A month later they announced the remaster...

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'd have to go with—and this will be an odd pick for many of you, but—RIGS: Mechanized Combat League for PSVR. I'm surprised at how much I'm playing this game having just gotten a PSVR. Granted, this game would not beat my actual 2019 GOTYs including Spider-man (#1) and Detroit (#2) or even Shadow of the Colossus (#3), but if I could add backlog games to my 2019 list, RIGS would definitely be on it.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a replay Dishonored. Still as good as i remembered.

For a first time playthrough The Witcher 2, definitely. What a fantastic game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Guacamelee STCE... what a game, and that OST is so good. Gotta get around to playing the sequel soon.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe for me, Fortuna is great fun with the hoverboard and introduced plushie collecting. What's not to love?

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
After a second playthrough, I've determined Breath of the Wild is my favourite video game ever, so it's my Game of the Year 2 years running.

Second runner up: Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. I've gotta be like 70% through the game at this point, and I'm determined to finish it before Christmas so I can move on to Phantasy Star.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell: Conviction. I think it was a games with gold, and I was immediately hooked and beat it in just a couple days

PlainOldJosh

Nov 4, 2017
SteamWorld Dig 2

After playing Hollow Knight, Mummy Demastered, and SteamWorld Dig 2 in the last 16 months, I feel spoiled. What a great run of Metroidvania games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got to play quite a few incredible games for the first time this year:

God Hand
Hollow Knight
Valkyria Chronicles
Ace Attorney Investigations
D4
Space Adventure Cobra
Kuon
Silent Hill 4

Although those games were all pretty awesome, God Hand would have to be the best of them. The combat is just so darn enjoyable.

Jan 11, 2018
Life is Strange. One of the most unique games I've ever played.

The End is Nigh: Amazing platformer and a worthy followup to Super Meat Boy

What Remains of Edith Finch: Short but sweet... some really incredible moments.

Hollow Knight: A top 10 all time Metroidvania easily, maybe even top 5.