Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is imaginative about Catwoman literally licking herself clean like an actual cat?

She was brought back to life by cats! That's at least different than what we got in the comics.

And Penguin is this deformed psycho instead of a posh guy with height issues. It's inventive and different.

The film's a blast.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
heh. what a great movie. i just bought it on blu ray this past christmas after watching it on netflix. i was like, 'i gotta own this movie.' and i only own a few movies.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what it was, but I'm pretty sure he didn't "opt out" of the sequel, since he was eagerly looking forward to being Two-Face in Batman Forever, and they actually had to pay him to get out of the contract so they could hire Tommy Lee Jones.

Quite the opposite. Burton's done some fantastic and diverse work (check out "Ed Wood", "Big Eyes" or "Big Fish" for some variety).

Batman Returns is what happens when a studio tells him "you have cart blanch to do whatever you want" and you get a Burton-Batman movie that's like a black, gothic fever dream of malformed madness.

And I, personally, find it FASCINATING. Not exactly "Batman" but certainly more memorable and imaginative to me than anything seen in many of the following films, including many of the Nolan ones.

The costume ball dance scene is still a franchise high.

Tommy Lee Jones REALLY hammed it up IIRC.

Last edited:

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've never understood the praise for this film. Sure it's a visual feast, and the dark atmosphere is pretty great, but the story is complete nonsense. I enjoyed it when I was a kid, but it's really hard to sit through now. Just awful story, characters, and dialogue. Max Shreck was the most enjoyable part of the movie though.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the praise for this film. Sure it's a visual feast, and the dark atmosphere is pretty great, but the story is complete nonsense. I enjoyed it when I was a kid, but it's really hard to sit through now. Just awful story, characters, and dialogue.
From my point of view this is because Batman Returns doesn't really have a central story. It's a bunch of smaller arcs all happening in succession

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
From my point of view this is because Batman Returns doesn't really have a central story. It's a bunch of smaller arcs all happening in succession
Yeah, there's too much going on. It's a bit of a mess. I really can't stand a lot of the dialogue and character interactions.

"You don't think you'll win do you?"
"You're not the mayor"

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
The last time I watched it, I was struck by how much his son is sorta portrayed as a young Trump type figure in his dad's shadow.
yC1lWjv.jpg

OP
OP

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The funniest thing is Danny Devito would have played a great Penguin just looking how he normally is. They could have done a regular Penguin, since Devito is short and fat like Penguin is always portrayed as. They didn't have to turn him into a monster.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Walken is Gold in anything he does, and that's especially true here as Max Shreck. I just love this scene and his expressions and voice, so chilling:

And Batman Returns has the best Soundtrack in the franchise. It actually sounds Operatic in nature with how Elfman composed it:

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing is Danny Devito would have played a great Penguin just looking how he normally is. They could have done a regular Penguin, since Devito is short and fat like Penguin is always portrayed as. They didn't have to turn him into a monster.

Imagine what Nolan could have done with Devito as Penguin. No horror show needed at all.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The last time I watched it, I was struck by how much his son is sorta portrayed as a young Trump type figure in his dad's shadow.

Tangent time, but: I think a lot of that "sleazy businessman" archetype from the 80's/early 90's is kinda Trump related, actually. Shreck Jr looks like him kinda, but I think there's some Trump in the one guy from Die Hard, the similar guy from Ghostbusters 2, the same guy from Wayne's World, etc. Every time there's a business guy in an 80's movie who scrunches up his face and snaps his fingers and says "aaaayyyy bubala, let's talk bottom line" and/or wants to shut down the orphanage or the factory or whatever, I wonder how Trump can be the perfect prototype of this trope. Like, are these guys based on him in part? Or is he just the perfect epitome of it?

Like, there's no way this dickhead from Billy Madison isn't based on Trump in part:

WOj2rj.gif

And the guy from Gremlins 2 is actually named Daniel Clamp and is clearly a straight parody of Trump:

Clamp.jpg

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Flippers notwithstanding, repulsive pervert Penguin is actually my favorite interpretation of the character. I don't know if I'd want to see DeVito play him any other way.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Walken is Gold in anything he does, and that's especially true here as Max Shreck. I just love this scene and his expressions and voice, so chilling:

And Batman Returns has the best Soundtrack in the franchise. It actually sounds Operatic in nature with how Elfman composed it:

Damn, that's cold. Giving her that moment of relief before killing her. Some good villiany.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Shreck so obsessed with getting some dumb power planet built?

And on a tangential note, are we really meant to believe that cats brought Selina Kyle back to life? I presumed that the awning broke her fall and the cats were just her inspiration. I can't recall if the film ever explicitly gives in to supernatural elements.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I've never understood the praise for this film. Sure it's a visual feast, and the dark atmosphere is pretty great, but the story is complete nonsense. I enjoyed it when I was a kid, but it's really hard to sit through now. Just awful story, characters, and dialogue. Max Shreck was the most enjoyable part of the movie though.

I just recently went through this, I rewatched both of the Keaton movies on Netflix. The first one seems decent, even if it feels like Keaton is just playing a brooding version of Michael Keaton and some of the action stuff seems extremely clunky but the second one... as someone who watched that when I was a kid, I did not realized how obsessed with sex that movie is.

There's like campy jokes and all that but there's just so much sexual dialogue in this movie, it's like they said, "maybe we should include two more lines where Penguin talks to Catwoman like a creep, you know what? Make it nine." It's part of the reason why I think Shreck is one of the better parts of that movie, he doesn't spend half the time on screen indulging in creeper shit.

OP
OP

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
There's like campy jokes and all that but there's just so much sexual dialogue in this movie, it's like they said, "maybe we should include two more lines where Penguin talks to Catwoman like a creep, you know what? Make it nine." It's part of the reason why I think Shreck is one of the better parts of that movie, he doesn't spend half the time on screen indulging in creeper shit.

You mean you didn't enjoy Penguin saying, "This is just the pussy I was looking for?" while smiling at Catwoman laying on his bed?

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
oh wow personal attacks just because the guy likes something you dont
lol i take it in jest

he is wrong and he can wallow in his wrongness

and to be fair I do consider many of my life choices, but one thing I am certain of is Batman Return's Catwoman being a GOAT contender - and I knew that from an early age

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Tangent time, but: I think a lot of that "sleazy businessman" archetype from the 80's/early 90's is kinda Trump related, actually. Shreck Jr looks like him kinda, but I think there's some Trump in the one guy from Die Hard, the similar guy from Ghostbusters 2, the same guy from Wayne's World, etc. Every time there's a business guy in an 80's movie who scrunches up his face and snaps his fingers and says "aaaayyyy bubala, let's talk bottom line" and/or wants to shut down the orphanage or the factory or whatever, I wonder how Trump can be the perfect prototype of this trope. Like, are these guys based on him in part? Or is he just the perfect epitome of it?

Like, there's no way this dickhead from Billy Madison isn't based on Trump in part:

WOj2rj.gif

And the guy from Gremlins 2 is actually named Daniel Clamp and is clearly a straight parody of Trump:

Clamp.jpg
That's awesome. I'd love to see a well curated list of every Trumpian figure in fiction, because I'm sure we're just scratching the surface.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Yall can like Batman Returns / forever or something.

But no, how the hell you deny the Catwoman in these movie is grade A dumbo jumbo.. just nope.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_lw1hgtrwIB1qd6v0do1_250.gif

Such an underrated Batman villain. When Selina shows up to work after being tossed out the window, his son asks him, "Did you buy [her story]?"

Schreck responds, "Women....nothing surprises me, Chip."

The best.

Such a savage

"She tries to blackmail me? I'll drop her outta a higher window."

Also Selenas apartment was off the hook, it was awesome

Oct 25, 2017
To this day, Batman Returns remains my favorite Batman movie of all time.

The masquerade scene between Selina and Bruce, and the symbolism surrounding it, it's pretty much one of the best scenes I've seen in a superhero movie.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If I were you I'd be reexamining my life choices up to this point.

We need to come up with another word for irony because the original is no longer strong enough.

Anyway, I legit forgot Walken was in this movie.

I think I saw it too young and it damaged my psyche so I've never gone back to it. I've actually been meaning to revisit this and the first one, since they don't hold the same contempt I have for Forever and Robin.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Returns was the first movie I saw in theatres as a kid and is still probably my second favourite Batman film and third favourite comic book movie overall. The Christmas setting, the cinematography, Michelle Pffeifer in leather, still remembering the nightmares I had about Danny Devito's Penguin, the amazing musical score and my overall love and childhood nostalgia for Tim Burton makes this a film I absolutely adore. Shreck was fantastic too, especially with the way he came off as a ruthless businessman yet actually did probably one of the most nicest things in the movie, which was to sacrifice himself to save his son from Penguin's machinations. Walken did such a good job with the role.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
This was a great movie. Sucks to hear Walken's character was originally drafted to be Harvey Dent instead. After Returns, the next two movies were so bad.