Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you've been following me, I've been going through the entire Uncharted series (working on the Uncharted 2 video now) and I've recorded 3 in advance. Basically, I call it the "filler ship" because the whole sequence has absolutely nothing to do with the plot, it's basically just something the developers threw in there because they really wanted the set piece, I even watched the Behind the Scenes, they were really proud of this sequence, basically Nate is looking for Sully and the whole plot gets sidetracked so they could do this, then after Nate gets off and goes back to Elena, the main plot picks right back up and pretends the whole underwater boat thing never happened.

Uncharted 3.... doesn't do as good of a job at tying in its set pieces into the plot like Uncharted 1 and 2 did unfortunately. It's basically a bunch of random events and they hoped a plot would follow.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rough bridge between set-pieces.

They wrote set-pieces first and then wrote the story and characters around them. They did the same in Uncharted 2 though and it worked nicely.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
to show off the engine's water tech.

there was a video where they made a big deal about the realistic calculations of how everything was affected.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking the same thing when I first played it. Litterally that entire section of the game was completely pointless from a plot perspective.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a strong argument for Uncharted 3 being a legitimately bad game, so this doesn't feel out of the ordinary.

Filler sections, meandering plot, badly designed combat sections, poor pacing, cheap encounters.. yeah. It looks incredible but that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
He's there because he was kidnapped by that pirate guy and he's trying to find his way out of there. At least that's what I remember.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely play pretty loose with the plot and pacing in Uncharted 3. 2 and 4 are better in this regard imo

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some interview (it could be the BTS you mentioned) where they were talking about the work done on the technology for the swaying of objects and water on the boat. There was also talk about how they didn't have the time to refine the story fully.

So I think it was that they had developed technology for a boat set-piece and didn't have the time to elegantly integrate it into the story.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Pretty sure there was an interview with Hennig where she said they wanted set pieces that could challenge them as designers first and then designed the rest of the game around that. Part of the reason I don't fuck with ND games. That design philosophy has A LOT of problems I can't reconcile. A game should be fun above all else.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I think there's a strong argument for Uncharted 3 being a legitimately bad game, so this doesn't feel out of the ordinary.

Filler sections, meandering plot, badly designed combat sections, poor pacing, cheap encounters.. yeah. It looks incredible but that's it.
Both 1 and 3 are legitimately bad games.

2 and 4 are great enough to make up for it.

after replaying them all, I still think 3 is my favourite, easily.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
While Uncharted 3 wasnt that special, the ship setpiece was the best thing in that game, so it would be worse without it.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure there was an interview with Hennig where she said they wanted set pieces that could challenge them as designers first and then designed the rest of the game around that. Part of the reason I don't fuck with ND games. That design philosophy has A LOT of problems I can't reconcile. A game should be fun above all else.

Thankfully ND games are pretty fun. Also, aside from Uncharted 3, no other game of theirs has such a specific issue about a set-piece feeling as forced as the cruise making the game feel a bit disjointed.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That's a concept I can't agree with. I rather have the game be interesting than fun. Fun games are not always interesting. They don't leave that much of an impression either after a long period of time. RDR2 for example, is not a game that is fun to play. It is immersive, interesting or even impressive at times, but too restrictive on so many fronts gameplay-wise. It is chore to play, but we keep going because something is pulling us in and it's certainly not the gameplay. :/

Devil May Cry V or Ratchet & Clank are examples of fun games, but they are not the kind of games I would see people replay endlessly or at least multiple times.

Last edited:

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Amy Henning straight up said that they did the set-pieces before having any written story elements. They just stitched together a dumb story afterward, that's why Uncharted 3 is the weakest of the serie.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because they couldn't think of another way to fit it in, so they forced it in. Seemed pretty obvious it was a matter of tech over design. But it's still some fun honestly.

after replaying them all, I still think 3 is my favourite, easily.
The fact 3 doesn't rely on, yet another, zombie(ish) virus/mutation helped so much. I really liked the ambiguity of what was in the treasure and the city completely self destroying because if a crazy fever dream.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Because they couldn't think of another way to fit it in, so they forced it in. Seemed pretty obvious it was a matter of tech over design. But it's still some fun honestly.

The fact 3 doesn't rely on, yet another, zombie(ish) virus/mutation helped so much. I really liked the ambiguity of what was in the treasure and the city completely self destroying because if a crazy fever dream.

Yeah, plus the enemies who appear as part of the fever dream are atleast a bit more interesting

for me it's pretty simple why 3 is my favourite. I love the banter between Nate, Sully, Cutter, Chloe and elena and has a great mix of puzzles, combat, and easily the best set pieces. It also has a more charasmatic villain and is easily the most stunning game in terms of landscapes, even though U4 hasthe best graphical appeal.

4 has the best story, but it's quiet moments drag on too long and uncharted 2 is just a bit too tame

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I use to think 3 was bad until I played it again via the Nathan Drake collection; shit was dope! On par with 2 imo. It just takes longer to build up; once you land in Syria it gets good.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Like the train sequence in 2, the cruise ship sequence in 3 is the first thing they started on and the last thing they finished. It was the central setpiece of the game. My guess on why it feels so narratively separate from the rest of the game is that the story changed substantially during production but so much work had already gone into the cruise ship sequence that they couldn't justify cutting it or changing it, so it just had to be in there whether it made sense or not.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

The city did self destroy though, that happened for real (in the story). The only illusion were demonic teleporting enemies.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Like the train sequence in 2, the cruise ship sequence in 3 is the first thing they started on and the last thing they finished. It was the central setpiece of the game. My guess on why it feels so narratively separate from the rest of the game is that the story changed substantially during production but so much work had already gone into the cruise ship sequence that they couldn't justify cutting it or changing it, so it just had to be in there whether it made sense or not.
How does it not make sense? Drake thought the pirates had Sully hencewhy he went on the boat.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Thankfully ND games are pretty fun. Also, aside from Uncharted 3, no other game of theirs has such a specific issue about a set-piece feeling as forced as the cruise making the game feel a bit disjointed.

The crazier thing is she clearly had to be mulling over Uncharted 4's story. So if you'd already built that ship and water why not go with the pirate story? Why build a massive water based set piece for a desert game? Makes no sense.
That's a concept I can't agree with. I rather have the game be interesting than fun. Fun games are not always interesting. They don't leave that much of an impression either after a long period of time. RDR2 for example, is not a game that is fun to play. It is immersive, interesting or even impressive at times, but too restrictive on so many fronts gameplay-wise. It is chore to play, but we keep going because something is pulling us in and it's certainly not the gameplay. :/

Devil May Cry V or Ratchet & Clank are examples of fun games, but they are not the kind of games I would see people replay endlessly or at least multiple times.

If it's not fun to play I can't engage with it. I drop games quick if they aren't fun (FFXIV).
RDR2 was fun for me luckily, but I love westerns and cowboys. Ratchet and Clank is pretty damn close to my GOTG because of how fun it was. Sometimes mindless is the best. I don't replay things like TLOU or Uncharted because once is enough, I've seen it all.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

It's the worst in the series by far. The issues you mentioned plus the horrific input lag before they patched it made the game nigh unplayable.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
3 is not bad in any way. I didn't play it before the patch, but the other issues are legit criticisms. Still not enough all to be bad though. The set pieces are disjointed, but all really good. There are aspects of a good story in there and nate and sully's relationship is good.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
The crazier thing is she clearly had to be mulling over Uncharted 4's story. So if you'd already built that ship and water why not go with the pirate story? Why build a massive water based set piece for a desert game? Makes no sense.

If it's not fun to play I can't engage with it. I drop games quick if they aren't fun (FFXIV).
RDR2 was fun for me luckily, but I love westerns and cowboys. Ratchet and Clank is pretty damn close to my GOTG because of how fun it was. Sometimes mindless is the best. I don't replay things like TLOU or Uncharted because once is enough, I've seen it all.
FFXIV not fun? Pffffff

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Uncharted 3 felt like they had set pieces they wanted to do, and just threw them into the game/ Its like they built the story around the set pieces. lol I still loved it tho

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it just sully gets kidnapped, nate looks for sully, nate gets kidnapped, wakes up on boat?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, plus the enemies who appear as part of the fever dream are atleast a bit more interesting

for me it's pretty simple why 3 is my favourite. I love the banter between Nate, Sully, Cutter, Chloe and elena and has a great mix of puzzles, combat, and easily the best set pieces. It also has a more charasmatic villain and is easily the most stunning game in terms of landscapes, even though U4 hasthe best graphical appeal.

4 has the best story, but it's quiet moments drag on too long and uncharted 2 is just a bit too tame
Lord, the villains in the first two were generic and even more generic somehow. Katherine was the type of person you wanted to jump into the game for and strangle her. What a complete and utter bitch she was. I loved to hate that character so much.
The city did self destroy though, that happened for real (in the story). The only illusion were demonic teleporting enemies.
I know, but the reason behind the fact it happened is what I liked so much. There were no zombies or a juice that made you super strong and with prolonged exposure into, yet another, zombie-like creature. Just people going crazy and utterly destroying themselves and the city because they're driven mad because of hallucinations. It's in part why I really like the story of Golden Abyss, the actual reveal is not that insane or super natural.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Dude the quests in main story scenario are literally just warping places and talking through boring dialogue at the waking sands. The shit is basically video game nyquill
I used to play FFXIV till Heaven's Ward.
You can dissect the game in several ways:

Story campaign
Gameplay
Classes etc.

but what is the point of that. Game is super succesful and yeah not everyone is gonna like it, but to say it is not fun in general period just like that is dumb to say lol.

Game is so much fun because you can do so much in that game that people are willing to fork up 12 bucks a month for uno game.

Gouf

May 17, 2018

What exactly do you mean? Those are super replayable games that tons of people go back to because they facilitate playing the game like that, and it's fun to do so. DMC in particular is a game that encourages multiple playthroughs simply because there is a lot of things to experiment with and get better at. The short length of most Ratchet and Clank games makes them great to replay on higher difficulties and the like. This post is kind of baffling, honestly.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

On that I agree with you. Immersion comes in different forms depending on the person I guess. You, it's just mindless fun. Me, it's the storytelling. Did you enjoy Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and/or Spider-Man by any chance? Were they fun for games to you (I am not trying to be condescending, just curious)? šŸ¤” To me, I believe a balance between the two is always the best. šŸ˜

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
FFXIV not fun? Pffffff
FFXIV is a chore. I subbed to it for 3 years and only managed to finish ARR. It has at best never been fun to play for me, at worst like pulling teeth. I've been struggling to finish heavensward's story since 2015 and I just gave up. I actively don't care. I hear friends talk about ShadowBringers and how awesome it is and all and I'm just like....fuck that. I'm not going to struggle through 2 expansion to see a story that probably isn't even all that good. I can't do MMOs anymore.