• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I just played 13 Sentinels and that game is very unique. It's a visual novel + strategy rpg but everything from the structure to the presentation is completely its own thing.

Also I just played Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. The combination of in-depth rice farming sim + sidescrolling action game isn't like anything I've played before.

I'm currently playing CrossCode which is kind of like a top-down Zelda but with more intense action and puzzles, shooting mechanics, and a jrpg-like story. I think it's pretty unique.

And yeah, I regularly play Ring Fit Adventure as many people in this thread have mentioned, and that game is a totally new idea.

mr_banana

Jun 24, 2020
Everyone has said these already, but I played Outer Wilds and Baba Is You recently so those are the last ones for me too. I also played Supraland this year which felt pretty new and unique even though it's mostly a mashup of existing ideas. I played Gravity Rush this year too which was unique, but that's pretty old and I was even playing the remaster.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Ring Fit Adventure is one of those things that seems so airtight conceptually and in terms of execution that you wonder how nobody had ever come up with it before, like it's such a perfect idea that it's absurd to think that it hasn't always been a no-brainer.
Huh. I didn't even think about RFA when I first saw this thread, but that's a great pick. It helps that it uses a controller designed specifically for it, and in a ton of ingenious ways.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Outer Wilds.

What a game.

Obra Dinn before that too.

Both are from 2019, so I'm probably missing out, however.
These were the first two that came to mind. Never did finish Obra Dinn though. I'd have to restart it at this point since I'd have no memory of that place...

Astro Bot was also unlike anything I'd experienced up to that point even though I have lots of experience with 3D platformers.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These come to mind for recent experiences:

Return of the Obra Dinn
Outer Wilds
Kentucky Route Zero
Disco Elysium
Death Stranding
Gorogoa
Umurangi Generation

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Playing 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim right now and am really enjoying it. The narrative design is very unique with how nonlinear it is and injecting some SRPG battles into a VN works better than you would expect.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
outer wilds. It's amazing, and I can't wait for someone to take that experience and scale it up further. And not a no man's sky, a truly contained narrative experience

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, going to have to be death stranding. It had some traditional elements but it's core was like nothing else...and somehow Kojima made it engrossing.

Or dreams maybe? Just because it is like a window into the weirdness that is the human conscious.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I think mine has already been mentioned already:

Outer Wilds
Obra Dinn
Ring Fit

The further I get away with from it the more I love Outer Wilds, it might actually be my favorite game ever and I'm sad that I won't have that first experience with it again.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
That's Outer Wilds for me. I think I'm willing to pay friends money just to get them to play it.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
plenty of games already mentioned in here that i would list but i'll throw stephen's sausage roll into the mix

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
From the last few years, some original feeling games that I played for the first time:

What Remains of Edith Finch
Entwined
Beyond Eyes
Hatoful Boyfriend
The Magic Circle
Florence
Superhot VR
Death Stranding
Burly Men at Sea
Outer Wilds
Dreams
Metal Gear Solid (lol)