Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gotham season 1 was so boring and bad I stopped after 7 episodes .

I came back because everybody said season 2 and on were much better and boy were they right

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I've heard Person of Interest gets really good, but I've tried getting through season 1 a couple times and got bored and stopped. I know it moves from procedural to something more but man those first episodes are pretty rough.
In season 1 I was constantly thinking of dropping it because it felt like every single generic procedural cop show. By the end of it got interesting enough to give season 2 a try. By the end of the series it turned into my favorite show of all time with Season's 3 finale probably being my favorite TV episode of all time as well.

Oh man, I miss weekly Person of Interest so much...

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Dollhouse is the best example I can think of. The first 6-7 episodes are not that interesting but then it gets really good and even those seemingly bad early episodes become relevant. Awesome show.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
People raved to me about Blackadder and I didn't get it. Now I want to try later seasons.

The first Blackadder is very much the black sheep (*rimshot*) due to how dimwitted he is and how much of the humor plays off that. All three later versions are significantly more intelligent and the humor in each focuses more on them reacting to and getting screwed by the shenanigans of the worlds around them.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons, y'all. That first seasons is ROUGH.
But it does introduce Santa's Little Helper in the season finale, so it has that.

I would say Stargate SG1 and Stargate Universe both get better in season2 and beyond, though sg1 is mostly due to Showtime realizing it wasn't meant to be dark and gritty and only took about half a season

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Rurouni Kenshin - very meh anime that does a complete 180 starting at episode 28.

Babylon 5 was also very rough with flashes of brilliance in S1, but doesn't really get going until Sheridan replaces Sinclair.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The first Blackadder is very much the black sheep (*rimshot*) due to how dimwitted he is and how much of the humor plays off that. All three later versions are significantly more intelligent and the humor in each focuses more on them reacting to and getting screwed by the shenanigans of the worlds around them.
And the metajoke that as each Blackadder gets more intelligent, he also becomes less important in the world.

OP
OP
Winston1

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're impressively patient. I only lasted 5 episodes before I gave up on this "supposed" improvement over the films.
That was the same for me when I first tried watching the show a couple of years ago. I finally managed to make it past the early seasons by watching it on my phone at work during my breaks and when gaming.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not terrible, but I was surprised by Jericho's transition to greatness partway through season 1. The first half is full of relationship drama filler, then halfway through, it switches to being really plot-driven and it doesn't let up until it was cancelled at the end of season 2. It was okay at first but becomes legit one of my favorite shows at that point.

The end of season 1 gives me chills.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Babylon 5 was also very rough with flashes of brilliance in S1, but doesn't really get going until Sheridan replaces Sinclair.

Maybe I'm biased because it is my favorite show, but there's plenty of good in S1 even if there are some clunkers.

Feel the same way about other struggled-to-get-going shows being cited here like Fringe and TNG. People cite Breaking Bad also but I thought S1 was great.

I think I agree on Buffy though. I swapped it for B5 with my wife and we really struggled with S1. She likes cheesy horror so it worked better for her. I don't feel like it actually got good until season 2.

Person of Interest....man. I hate procedurals but I liked the show right away though. I felt like it showed a lot of interest early on but then again I'm a computer guy who works in IT security and loves sci-fi so...easy for me to love.

Oddly enough almost all of these shows mentioned are in my top 10. No one mentioned Angel though...I can't remember S1 well enough but I loved the show.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Legends of Tomorrow is the reigning champion by far. Even though I liked a good bit of season 1 it has since blown up into something really special.

The Vampire Diaries starts out as your Standard Teen Vampire Drama but after a few episodes it really gets its hooks in and becomes very compelling.

Last but certainly not least is the 100. Another CW show that seems like it's going to be your Standard Teen Sci Fi Drama but about three episodes in shit gets REAL. It's an incredible sci fi series 1that is one of my favorite of all time.

How did I not think of TVD when it's one of my favorite shows? The first two episodes become much better on a rewatch, but they were so cheesy we dropped the series for a while and pushed ourselves to try it again... only to find it to be one of our favorite series of all time. S3 was nearly done at that time so we started waiting for whole seasons to air before watching them, and it was tough to do but so worth it. If you're ever down in GA (from what I recall you're in the PNW), definitely go to Covington for the Vampire Diaries tour, it's amazing.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
latest

There was at least one great episode (Measure of a Man) and a bare scattering of a few decent-ish episodes (The Neutral Zone) but even they had dodgy bits. Stuff like Code of Honour was thankfully the low point, but man, how low that point was.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Let me tell you about a show called Nikita

Nikita is a CW show just like any other. Ludicrously attractive people (Maggie Q goddamn), romantic subplots that are beyond forced and full of revenge, surprisingly enough it has really good action scenes, a lot of corny dialogue and acting.

But then S2 becomes "Yo say what?" and goes full ham. Becomes legit good and by the end becomes the most wild ass spy-fi show you ever did see. Brain washed sleeper agents controlled by cell phone signals? Back alley brain surgery mind wiping? Space laser activated body melting nanites?

And fuck that fiance revenge shit. You won't even remember his name. Show is bonkers.

So would you recommend skipping it for a newbie?
Absolutely not. All that character and world building is relevant. All of it is called back to for plot.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Spartacus
The first season was trash. Sometimes enjoyable trash, but mostly just plain old trash trash. Then the main actor got cancer (of which he eventually died, RIP) and to retain the show, they made a prequel series called Gods of the Arena. Turns out that was actually the best thing to ever happen to the show, because that prequel series was damn good and positively influenced every season after that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say The 100 enough.
When it started and Octavia arrives on Earth with her "We're back bitches!", I -knew- it was going to be terrible.
By the end of season 1 they were already improving, and then mid season 2 we get a major whiplash and the series just became an amazing wild ride.
Now looking forward to season 7, its (apparently) last.

Wanheda for life!
DvRh7NolsXZnBMkdL6vFJDiUUvWcklujW3t4HWjtZmtay9w04ZGKYeL69aYCH9iOU8v1guNowTx-JzjfJkf6IAYBc3pHWdjCE4uR0gZdCjmyB6yNpYtxGcxNj-qrWne_Q1U4WqtblsHL8358tbwBxs0ntuMNDtI4KyZxrcOb1VlaxyP4hKV9

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Smallville. The show initially was a very standard monster of the week with the same repetitive plot of someone getting powers from stray Kryptonite. Thankfully the show moved past that by the end of season 1.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I agree with Legend of Tomorrow and Person of Interest. The former wanted to be a serious team up show that just wasn't good and instead turned up the ham and sillyness to 11 and became one of the most fun to watch shows out there, because the showrunners just do whatever the fuck they want.

Person of Interest was never bad per se, but the first 6 episodes are basically just "Monster of the Week" and get rather boring. Starting with episode 7 you slowly get a bigger picture of the world and from there on it only becomes better each season. It's probably one of my favore shows by now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does Bojack Horseman count? The first three or four episodes of that show COMPLETELY misrepresent what the rest of the series would be.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The 100 for sure. I firmly believe the lead actress was locked in 24/7 at an acting school between S1 and S2. The difference is night and day.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Farscape wasn't terrible in its first season but it was finding its feet and subsequently became one of my favourite shows ever. You rarely ever see it mentioned on here

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
The 100 for sure. I firmly believe the lead actress was locked in 24/7 at an acting school between S1 and S2. The difference is night and day.

She is still pretty bad being serious but good when having fun, 2nd season is so good.

I didn't get on too well with a lot of the Expanse in the first season but got me in the end and love it now.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Patriot had a such a flaccid first couple of episodes that come across as boring and generic. Then things start to click into place and you go "oh shit, that's what type of show this series is going to be". It escalates keeps escalating into amazingness after.

Oct 25, 2017
The first few episodes from Aqua Teen were pretty bad when they were just solving crime, but it was basically to trick the network into thinking the show was something it wasn't.

Then it had a few great seasons.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
To this day I've never done a Parks and Rec run because I can't get past the horrible first episodes. Horrible "SO AWKWARD CRINGE LOL" rehashed leftover humor from The Office (US), twee factor cranked up to 11... Ugh

Mad Men.

The first 7 or so episodes are brutal and are no indication that you're watching greatness.

Ha! That's as far as I ever made it on that show, too. In my defense, that is 7 HOURS of sitting through shit.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Not 'terrible' necessarily, but I thought Altered Carbon Season 1 started off pretty weak, and it was a struggle to get through. Once a certain character became more integral to the overall story, it got interesting.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
I would hardly call season 1 terrible. It was pretty much a classic out the gate. There are plenty of iconic moments from the series that were in S1. Frank certainly helped to round out the cast a bit more and probably is an important part of it's continued long term success, but it would have lasted plenty long had he not come into the picture. Rob and Glenn's writing is the core of it all.

I disagree. Devito is hilarious and probably is part of the reason why the show is so long-running but season 1 is still hilarious.

Agreed that Season 1 is fantastic (probably my favorite), but the guys have mentioned a couple times that even though season 1 was getting strong reviews, the show wasn't getting good view numbers due to the terrible timeslot that FX had them in; bringing in Danny did generate much more buzz and likely did save the show.

www.cinemablend.com

Why It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Added Danny DeVito

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is currently airing its 10th season on the air, and has already been renewed for another two seasons following this year. Originally, the series didn't feature

That being said,
0vn-KVEvmY8uZWnsO7TOpn7TMcIqa5jFGl0r7rDLbcc.png

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not terrible, but S1 of blackadder is pretty poor compared to the rest of the show

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People tell me Bojack Horseman is good but the first episode is garbage and I haven't watched another.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People tell me Bojack Horseman is good but the first episode is garbage and I haven't watched another.

It is one of the best shows ever made, the first season starts out rough, but the latter half ramps up dramatically in quality and the rest of the show just stays that way

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Naked Now and Conspiracy are good fun and worth one's while too. Problematic episodes aside, season 1 of TNG has a lot of fun campy episodes reminiscent of TOS. It's the weakest season but I wouldn't advise skipping it in its entirety. It's just best not to take it too seriously.
I totally forgot Conspiracy, now that you mention it.

I feel like Naked Now came too early in the show. Like, it's literally the second episode of the entire show, and it's also just doing TOS's The Naked Time over again.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The Magicans.

Tropey. Eye rolls.

then, Seasons 3-5 are my favorite seasons of television in years!

I feel that way about The Leftovers 2 and 3, compared to 1. And those seasons might be my favorite redemption arch. Phenomenal TV.

May 26, 2018
I'm watching Agents of SHIELD right now, just finished season 1, and it feels like they just flipped a switch around episode 15 and the show got good. It wasn't terrible before per se, just...aggressively boring

It's truly remarkable, isn't it? By the time you get to
Ghost Rider flinging his chain into the teleporting woman, you wonder how it became one of the hypest shows in human history.