• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I have ATT and an XS Max and recently my 4G LTE has switched to 5Ge. Reading only this is just some sort of marketing ploy by ATT to make people believe they are running in 5G. How the hell is this allowed? I mean, it's cool but I don't think there's any advantage to this than a standard LTE connection, correct?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the exact same as when AT&T labeled their connections as 4G even though they were a third of that, causing what was originally supposed to be 4G to be renamed LTE instead.

Yes, it's a marketing ploy.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fake 5G that AT&T is using to con their customers into thinking they have a better network. They're currently being sued by Sprint because of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Tech history is filled with these kinds of ploys. I remember when HD was the buzzword, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon even though it wasn't technically HD.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Man, you guys in the States really getting wrecked by this monopolous deregulated situation, eh
Deregulation isn't bad, but when the government plays favorites with the huge corporations, that's where it starts sucking. It's not all too bad, though. For my wife and I it's $100 a month for unlimited everything.

Canada has it worse.

OP
OP
Relix

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Deregulation isn't bad, but when the government plays favorites with the huge corporations, that's where it starts sucking. It's not all too bad, though. For my wife and I it's $100 a month for unlimited everything.

Canada has it worse.
Wait, who's that? I am paying close to 200 with ATT for all unlimited. Is it T Mobile?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
AT&T labeled their HSPA+ (which was just super fast 3G) a "4G" network
AT&T is labeling their super fast LTE network "5GE"

"5GE" is 4G / LTE.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

Canada has it worse.

$100!? Fucking highway robbery.

I pay $40 here in Sweden, with unlimited texts, calls, MMS and shit.

Or is the $100 for you both?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ah fuck. I like ATT overall but the value proposition of T Mobile is insane. They have pretty good reception where I live though and besides, I work from home most of the time so it's usually WiFi for me all day. May consider a change down the road.
Honestly, T-Mobile's network has gotten so much better over the last few years. And they'll even give you a free cellspot for your house if you have reception issues at home. Mix that with their wifi calling and their included Netflix and their T-Mobile tuesdays; that pretty much negates any positive AT&T has. At least, in my opinion.

$100!? Fucking highway robbery.

I pay $40 here in Sweden, with unlimited texts, calls, MMS and shit.

Or is the $100 for you both?

The $100 is for both. So it's $50 each.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they are at this again?

I remember seeing my older iPhone magically switch from 3G to "4G" when I visited the states years ago, that was sorta funny

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its 5Ge. But the e stands for complete and utter bullshit and fuck your mother. Thats just how AT&T does things.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How the hell is this allowed? I mean, it's cool but I don't think there's any advantage to this than a standard LTE connection, correct?
Yeah, it's just LTE, same speed (slower in some cases) as other providers who show "LTE" on the screen. As for how it's allowed, it really isn't, that's false advertising. And they are being sued over it by Sprint, the first real court date over it is April 22, when the judge will hear arguments for a preliminary injunction stopping AT&T from using the 5Ge logo until the court case is completed.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a higher spectrum, higher frequency and Mimo abtenna. Should give us insane speeds but we will need way, way more antennas in the city and will consume more power.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's a higher spectrum, higher frequency and Mimo abtenna. Should give us insane speeds but we will need way, way more antennas in the city and will consume more power.
You're thinking about 5G. This isn't that. AT&T is using 5Ge to deceive their customers into thinking it's 5G, when in fact it's just LTE.

Mar 29, 2018

Canada has it worse.
But, um, the government only gets to "play favourites" like this because these govt-corporation relationships are not regulated. It's literally the direct fault of deregulation

From across the pond, I pay approximately $40 a month for unlimited superfast internet and satellite TV

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
The "G" is arbitrary and doesn't imply anything. Don't trust anything that doesn't tell you the actual bandwidth.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're thinking about 5G. This isn't that. AT&T is using 5Ge to deceive their customers into thinking it's 5G, when in fact it's just LTE.

Oh yeah. I know that ATT has bullshit 5G. I missed the "e" part haha

The "G" is arbitrary and doesn't imply anything. Don't trust anything that doesn't tell you the actual bandwidth.

Generations absolutely matter and are way more than just bandwidth. The 4g vs 5g distinction carries hundreds of differences.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Oh yeah. I know that ATT has bullshit 5G. I missed the "e" part haha

Generations absolutely matter and are way more than just bandwidth. The 4g vs 5g distinction carries hundreds of differences.
It's arbitrary because the "G" has no distinct meaning/delination between those generations. It just means an arbitrary upgrade. It's not even like something like FastEthernet(100mbps) vs GigaEthernet(1000mbps). 4g is an improvement to 3g, and 5g is an improvement to it, but without any sort of details it's kind of a meaningless designation and all those added bells and whistles to the name are just marketing ploys.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lie.

AT&T is trying to associate themselves with the "5G" industry moniker, but their network is really just 4G. They did the same thing with calling their 3G network a 4G network back 5+ years ago, and so then the phrase "LTE" became more common when some carriers launched actual 4G networks.

It's all just to confuse consumers and sell phone plans.

I think that that poster is saying is that unlike a lot of other technical indicators of Number + Letter, "3g" "4g" and "5g" don't have a specific technical definition, they're industry monikers for a host of various changes. Like, 10k means something -- 10 kilobits (10,000 bits); 1GB means something, it means 1 gigabyte; 1TB means 1 terabyte; 1080p means 1920x1080 with progressive scan; 11tfs is 11 teraflops if we're talking console "computing" power. Those are all technical specifications of something that are shortened down into something easy to say. "3g" "4g" etc are just generational monikers... The "third generation of wireless communication," or what have you, they don't have an intrinsic meaning outside of the industry nickname.

I think the 3G v 4G v 5G, etc., is more similar to the game that display manufacturers played 10-15 years ago with "ED" (Enhanced Definition), "HD" (High Definition), "TrueHD," "UHD", etc, TVs, where "HD" didn't really mean anything specifically... It could be 720p, it could be 720i, it could be 1080i, or 1080p... And it ended up becoming an industry buzz term that lost meaning from the technical specification. "HD" means something, like how "3G" or "4G" means something, but they're buzz words for a host of different technologies, not an actual technical specification, which is intentionally confusing to consumers.

Last edited:

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
It's like when they made their phones say 4G, when it was really HSPA+ or just slightly faster 3G.

My Husband, father-in-law and I switched from ATT to Xfinity Mobile(Verizon) (sounds scary!) But we're getting Verizon towers for $12.00 a month. Talk, text and calls are free. Only pay for data, $12.00 a gig in a shared pool, or $45.00 per line for unlimited (20gigs, then throttle). You can also switch between the 2 plan styles at any time, for no fee, as many times as you want, and the toggle is per line. Use 10 gigs that month, just switch to the $45.00 Unlimited that month, then switch right back to bythegig. It's literally awesome if you are already an Xfinity customer. I know I sound like a shill, but its actually awesome.

$160.00 dollars a month on ATT down to $12.00 dollars a month. Even if we go over 1 gig, it will be $24.00. THE best way to get Verizon.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's arbitrary because the "G" has no distinct meaning/delination between those generations. It just means an arbitrary upgrade. It's not even like something like FastEthernet(100mbps) vs GigaEthernet(1000mbps). 4g is an improvement to 3g, and 5g is an improvement to it, but without any sort of details it's kind of a meaningless designation and all those added bells and whistles to the name are just marketing ploys.
That's not how generations are determined. Marketing doesn't dictate this (which is entirely why this ATT claim of 5Ge is absurd). It's decided by the 3GPP which is the international industry body for managing and producing cellular communications technical specifications. Each generation has been massively different from a technical perspective. You can find the specifications online. They're publicly available on the 3GPP website.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? There are details, 5g is a standard, created by the 3GPP organization (it's officially called "5G New Radio"). The official 5G logo/trademark cannot be used unless a company follows the standard, and if a company doesn't follow the standard, the modems in supporting phones won't work with it.

Here, you can read a very detailed overview of the standard:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/5g-new-radio-the-technical-background/

It *is* true that 5G is kind-of an expansion of LTE, but it's a specific expansion with support for new frequencies and protocols that use less electricity (it won't eat your phone's batteries as quickly as standard LTE), has less latency, higher bandwidth, and more security.

Last edited:

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how generations are determined. Marketing doesn't dictate this (which is entirely why this ATT claim of 5Ge is absurd). It's decided by the 3GPP which is the international industry body for managing and producing cellular communications technical specifications. Each generation has been massively different from a technical perspective. You can find the specifications online. They're publicly available on the 3GPP website.
It's actually the ITU that defines the specification for each generation (and yes, there is a clear definition for what 4G etc. is), 3GPP is submitting a technology that it believes can fulfill the ITU specification. 3GPP developed UMTS and LTE, and will have a 5G technology candidate as well, but it does not specify what the definition of each generation is.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually the ITU that defines the specification for each generation (and yes, there is a clear definition for what 4G etc. is), 3GPP is submitting a technology that it believes can fulfill the ITU specification. 3GPP developed UMTS and LTE, and will have a 5G technology candidate as well, but it does not specify what the definition of each generation is.
As far as I know, the ITU may define the scope of work and broad goals of each generations but the 3GPP actually puts together the specifications. 3GPP authors and publishes the Technical Specifications and Technical Reports. These are then translated into standards by the regulatory bodies of each geographic region e.g. ETSI.

Last edited:

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, the ITU may define the scope of work and goals of each generations but the 3GPP actually puts together the specifications. 3GPP authors and publishes the Technical Specifications and Technical Reports. These are then translated into standards by the regulatory bodies of each geographical region e.g. ETSI.
They only put together the specifications for their own technology. They specify everything about how LTE works, but their goal is to make sure that it complies with ITU requirements for what 4G is (IMT-Advanced). CDMA2000 was, for example, a 3G technology directly competing with 3GPP's UMTS and WiMAX was a 4G candidate that attempted to compete with LTE but never got any traction.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
They only put together the specifications for their own technology. They specify everything about how LTE works, but their goal is to make sure that it complies with ITU requirements for what 4G is (IMT-Advanced). CDMA2000 was, for example, a 3G technology directly competing with 3GPP's UMTS and WiMAX was a 4G candidate that attempted to compete with LTE but never got any traction.
Ah right. I knew about WiMax and CDMA2000 but didn't realise the role of the ITU vs 3GPP.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I have ATT and an XS Max and recently my 4G LTE has switched to 5Ge. Reading only this is just some sort of marketing ploy by ATT to make people believe they are running in 5G. How the hell is this allowed? I mean, it's cool but I don't think there's any advantage to this than a standard LTE connection, correct?

It's pure BS. I have it too and all it is is their LTE network, but a fraction of hair quicker than their older LTE network, so they wanted to be cool and first to market with the 5G nonsense and somehow they got Apple to approve putting this on their phones, even though it is in no way 5G... I really wish there was a way to revert it back to LTE. I am sure a class action lawsuit is brewing somewhere over this...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's pure BS. I have it too and all it is is their LTE network, but a fraction of hair quicker than their older LTE network, so they wanted to be cool and first to market with the 5G nonsense and somehow they got Apple to approve putting this on their phones, even though it is in no way 5G... I really wish there was a way to revert it back to LTE. I am sure a class action lawsuit is brewing somewhere over this...
Actually, it's not quicker at all than their old LTE network, not even a hair, it's just a rebranding that happens when you connect to their "LTE Advanced" frequencies (which have been around for a while, and all other US providers have that).

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Much like the cake in Portal, this too is a blatant lie. Just a rebranding of the network so people who don't know better switch to it. It's basically 4g+