Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While there's no doubt that the new Mortal Kombat games sell a lot, it's not precisely a secret that the new MK games aren't very well liked by the FGC. Despite being the best-selling fighting game franchise right now if you exclude Smash, its tournament presence is rather small which is definitely weird for a series so popular. So, what do you think NRS can should do to improve the next MK game? Here are my thoughts:

- With MK11, they already started improving the animation which is really, really cool. For the next one, considering the budget these games have they absolutely should be up to standard, though.

- Get rid of combo buffering, it's so goddamn ridiculous in the latest MK games. No issues with them keeping the simple inputs as MK being so accesible is definitely part of its success, but combo buffering is counter-intuitive and very cheap.

- Maybe get rid of the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach for these games. The amount of content in MKX and MK11 is no doubts staggering, but man I doubt people do more than check them out once or twice, the Story is no doubts the best part of MK right now so they could focus on that and the core fighting.

So, Era, what do you think NRS should do to make the series good again?

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
MK 11 is great.... Make the single player outside of the story actually fun and clean up animations more.

Oct 27, 2017
Just touch up the animations. They're already fun games with lots of content and good netcode. Also who cares if they're well liked by the FGC lol.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
MK11 is excellent. Maybe the best MK ever and I've been a die-hard fan since the very first MK in the arcade.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's say MK was never a super competitive-viable fighting franchise. Sure MK2 and UMK3 are still played a lot (especially in South America) but the success behind it was always the blood/fatalities, so I don't think they are "that" worried about balance and gameplay stuff. MK11 is pretty decent on that side though.

In my humble opinion, Mortal Kombat needs to be a little more faster...

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What does this mean?
You dial the combo then watch the animation play instead of entering each input after the previous one is seen on screen.

In MK basic combos dont have a precise timing. You can just enter the inputs one after another in quick succession and it will work. In other games like Street Fighter you need to time the inputs for combos. Some people prefer that because you can react and cancel the combo. In MK it is too late unless that move is specifically cancellable.

Oct 27, 2017
-Reptile should return as human and should get the story he deserves.
-Overhaul the story and make it more like Deadly Alliance. Then write a story that doesn't turn many cool characters into jobbers you kick their asses.
-Better animations. Make it more smooth to do combos and make the attack animations shorter then they are. While you are at it please let the player decide how long an xray (or that new close up slow motion thing) is.
-Bring back the old krypt and make grinding less of a thing along with less microtransaction bullshit.
-Don't hire people who can't act as fan favorite characters (fuck what they did to Sonya. and Fuck Ronda Rousey and the people who decided on putting her in).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the FGC can deal with one series focused at a broader audience.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Stop fucking around with single player progression (the kyrpt and tower stuff was embarrassing).

Make menuing a little less cumbersome, customizing characters can be a real chore.

Ease up on the unlockables.

Improve the online (It may have been improved after I stopped playing but I think I gave up the sticks after the 11th disconnect in a row).

Beyond that, not much. Continue working on animations, but MK11 is a fun game to play. I burned out on it because in order to get the lockables, I had to let it play itself to the point where I completely lost interest. But if you can play that game without issues or errors, it's very fun.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MK11 is pretty peak MK, so I dunno. I like it a lot, feels like the best parts of MK2 and 3. I could do without the variations system I guess, there's usually just one variation that's the "right" one to use anyway, and I hate losing moves.

What does this mean?

I'm assuming that means mashing in the combo sequence and watching it play out like a video rather than in tandem with your presses.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not the most serious fighting game player but I love MK11. I've always been a fan of how NRS games are their own thing in the realm of fighters.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
You dial the combo then watch the animation play instead of entering each input after the previous one is seen on screen.

This is something that drove me nuts when I tried Injustice. You have to press everything so quick and there's barely any time to hit confirm, you just do the full combo sequence as if you already know it will land, or maybe my reaction time is not what it was.

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I would do is get rid of the variation system in MK. I really dislike it a lot and I hate the idea of missing out on moves or characters having moves that they can't use competitively.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's already good. I just want more Fatal Blows and Fatals. The same Fatal Blows all the time gets old.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Hold back to block.

MK11 is the best MK and it has a decently sized competitive scene.

The games have short competitive lives, but I don't think that's a reflection of the mechanical quality.

I think it's because the NRS scene is spoiled as fuck. They get patches several times a year and a brand new game every two years. They've been conditioned to expect constant brand new shit. And NRS keeps pumping it out because it makes money. So the games don't live and breathe long enough to grow the scene. It just constantly resets.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Yeah but they dont work like other fighting games. I edited my previous comment with some explanation. The game actually buffers your inputs.
Is it really fair to call a string necessarily a combo? I mean I still need to time the next move after I hit my launcher. Strings are entered differently but its not like I can dial the whole thing on one hit.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I would do is get rid of the variation system in MK. I really dislike it a lot and I hate the idea of missing out on moves or characters having moves that they can't use competitively.

I didn't hate the variations, but I felt like when I wanted to get serious, I really didn't have a choice but to go back to the 2 default types.

Perhaps less move customization and more visual customization. When there are entire movesets that you'll never see in tournament play, they just feel like a waste.

Really, who cares what the FGC thinks?

MK9, MKX, and MK11 are all great games

I mean, I'd say the FGC likes MK11 quite a bit, even if it's not as popular as some other games.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hold back to block.

MK11 is the best MK and it has a decently sized competitive scene.

The games have short competitive lives, but I don't think that's a reflection of the mechanical quality.

I think it's because the NRS scene is spoiled as fuck. They get patches several times a year and a brand new game every two years. They've been conditioned to expect constant brand new shit. And NRS keeps pumping it out because it makes money. So the games don't live and breathe long enough to grow the scene. It just constantly resets.
I generally don't like block buttons, but MK absolutely needs it for the moves that teleport you to the other side of the screen.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This is something that drove me nuts when I tried Injustice. You have to press everything so quick and there's barely any time to hit confirm, you just do the full combo sequence as if you already know it will land, or maybe my reaction time is not what it was.
Hit confirm was never a thing in NRS games. Recently (mk 10 maybe) it is slowly being integrated.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Op lives in bizzarro world. Last 2 mks were great. Really the only thing they don't have is an expansive open world rpg . Lol

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I generally don't like block buttons, but MK absolutely needs it for the moves that teleport you to the other side of the screen.

I wasn't serious about the first sentence. I hate block buttons (and the game shouldn't have dumb ass teleports either), but my personal preference doesn't reflect my actual opinion about the state of MK as a competitive game.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
it's not precisely a secret that the new MK games aren't very well liked by the FGC.
Considering how much better MK sells compared to games with larger, more visible competitive communities, maybe it's a good thing to keep not giving a crap what the FGC claims to like and keep doing what it's doing.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
- Maybe get rid of the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach for these games. The amount of content in MKX and MK11 is no doubts staggering, but man I doubt people do more than check them out once or twice, the Story is no doubts the best part of MK right now so they could focus on that and the core fighting.

I dunno, I think they're masters of cross-over appeal and fighting game story modes. The core gameplay is as good as MK has ever been as well, so I don't really agree with the "jack of all trades..." bit.

As far as input buffering goes, much like the dedicated block button I don't see that going anywhere. I'm not a huge fan of dial-a-combo stuff either, but it works for MK and helps distinguish it vs. other fighting games.

Main thing I'd say is ditch the variation system, do a decent job with the PC port next time (yeah right), and don't make the krypt a shitty grind for lootboxes. The fighting is great, the story is great, the change in art direction is great, they just need to touch things up around the edges and give each character an actual full moveset next time. I've got some issues with krushing/fatal blows, especially their balance between characters, but it's small potatoes in the scheme of things.

Overall I think MK11 is a fantastic experience.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The series seems fine. Sounds more like you just don't like Mortal Kombat as much as you want to think you do.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is it really fair to call a string necessarily a combo? I mean I still need to time the next move after I hit my launcher. Strings are entered differently but its not like I can dial the whole thing on one hit.
It comes from the old MK3 days. Where everything was dialed in advance. The new MK games are way more loose on that end. But people still dont like it

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Era, what do you think NRS should do to make the series good again?

The premise of this thread is flawed, it's the best selling(Or 2nd best behind Smash?) fighting game franchise.

I don't like MK games, but this idea that MK 10 & 11 aren't good fighting games for the audience that likes them for whatever reason is weird.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I don't like the franchise, I thought the last opus wall received on the gameplay part ? I've been lied to ?