• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Make sure the thermal pad is applied correctly... Though this would be much easier to diagnose if you could test it on a PC, unfortunately.

Don't worry about transfer speeds from the NVMe drive to the PS5's internal drive, the limit is the PS5 SSD writing speeds in that test.
The PS5's internal SSD has low writing speeds, apparently to prolong its life.

Thank you, I'll recheck the thermals and this is good info on transfer speeds. Functionally, the drive is performing really well for games I own such as FF7remake and Demons Souls.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Is this an OK SDD to have with the PS5?

It says it works on the PS5 (and reading the comments, it seems fine), but I wanted to know if someone here already has it and how is performing?
I was going to put the 2tB in my pS5 but it didn't go on sale during black friday for me. The 2TB is actually on sale for 249.99. But the tests are real good. I was going to pair it with the Sabrent heatsink.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

It says it works on the PS5 (and reading the comments, it seems fine), but I wanted to know if someone here already has it and how is performing?

Has been working great in my ps5. Also have one in my PC and it's stupid fast.

Reviews also indicate that it runs pretty cool in general, so I've just been using the included heat spreader with my ps5.

www.thessdreview.com

XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade NVMe M.2 SSD Review – 7GB/s at Low Temps in a 11th Gen Laptop - The SSD Review

We have been testing a new SSD that is about to be introduced by XPG and something about this SSD ca

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

same as others for me. works great.
2tb version was pretty cheap compared to other brands. the extra space feels so liberating.
im also using it with the included heat spreader only.
im not sure if i should change with a beefier heatsink. but seems to run fine as it is.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone noticed if the "copying" times are decreased for games installed on added NVME? The write speed on the base one are very throttled, but added drives have no write speed throttling.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was going to put the 2tB in my pS5 but it didn't go on sale during black friday for me. The 2TB is actually on sale for 249.99. But the tests are real good. I was going to pair it with the Sabrent heatsink.

No issues with the 2TB one I've had for about 2 months. 👍

Reviews also indicate that it runs pretty cool in general, so I've just been using the included heat spreader with my ps5.

www.thessdreview.com

XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade NVMe M.2 SSD Review – 7GB/s at Low Temps in a 11th Gen Laptop - The SSD Review

We have been testing a new SSD that is about to be introduced by XPG and something about this SSD ca

same as others for me. works great.
2tb version was pretty cheap compared to other brands. the extra space feels so liberating.
im also using it with the included heat spreader only.
im not sure if i should change with a beefier heatsink. but seems to run fine as it is.

Thank you everyone. I wish I had found a deal for the 2TB, but the 1TB would for now.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017

www.thessdreview.com

You should probably get a 3rd party heatsink. Although, I couldn't take the included heat spreader off even after heating it up.

I have been using that M.2 since September. Not sure, but a few months later, it probably overheated and somehow the data got corrupted. Had to rebuild and redownload everything again. Yesterday, I got the same data corrupted error while playing Spiderman Remasterd and told me to delete the game / reinstall. Thinking it was an error, I tried rebooting the PS5. The PS5 would not boot up. The light stayed blue and black screen. At first, I thought the PS5 was just broken, but once I took that M.2 drive out, it boot up without any issue. I went ahead the RMA the drive.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin

I'm using this in my PS5, the 1TB version.
No issues so far and using the supplies thermal heat spreader.
Transfer rate per PS5 was around 6400MB I think.
Got it from Amazon Germany as it was cheaper than UK site at that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I go the 1TB XPG.

I don't use my PS5 enough to justify the 2TB variant, personally. 1.6TB combined should be enough for me and I'll just cycle out stuff I'm not playing as needed.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got the 1TB WD 850.

Very easy install for me. Literally the most difficult part of the process was putting my PS5 back on the awful stand to return it to its horizontal orientation in my entertainment center when I was done.

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
Apologies if this has been answered, but after reformatting my drive I got a slower speed (4600 vs 5600 on a Sabrant Rocket 4 Plus 2TB) during the speed test.

This feels like a dumb question, because it would be kind of silly, but do these speed tests determine its future speed? Should I reformat to get back to the higher speed it originally spec'd at? Or is this just coincidence and won't matter for future performance?

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Apologies if this has been answered, but after reformatting my drive I got a slower speed (4600 vs 5600 on a Sabrant Rocket 4 Plus 2TB) during the speed test.

This feels like a dumb question, because it would be kind of silly, but do these speed tests determine its future speed? Should I reformat to get back to the higher speed it originally spec'd at? Or is this just coincidence and won't matter for future performance?

I got the same thing (I have the exact same SSD), tried it again and it was a higher speed. Didn't make sense so I just went with it and so far, no games have exhibited ANY issues at all. FF7REMAKE, which is the most SSD extensive game I own, still loads super fast.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Sabrent Rocket 4 which includes a heatsink (1Tb for $180), install was a breeze and works flawlessly (so far).

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Or is this just coincidence and won't matter for future performance?

It's just a check to ensure you don't have something too slow for the PS5. It can't lock your speed as transfer rate is negotiated by the PCIe bus and can change based on conditions (such as heat). I have a lot of suspicions about exactly how the transfer test gets its numbers as many don't line up with PC product reviews. So just install and go, tbh

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017

Can't remember where i read this when i was deciding to buy but that 2gb has an update to fix it, however you would need a pc with an available slot or an adapter/enclosure

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So my SSD space is getting completely swallowed up now that I'm out of college and playing a lot more PS5 than I normally do since I'm mostly just applying for jobs. I don't want to spend over $150 on a terabyte of storage but I also don't want to get an SSD that would also fill up fast as I get more big file size games. When do you think we'll see SSD prices, specifically for 1TB and more, hover around or below the $100 price tag? Late 2022? 2023?

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
It's just a check to ensure you don't have something too slow for the PS5. It can't lock your speed as transfer rate is negotiated by the PCIe bus and can change based on conditions (such as heat). I have a lot of suspicions about exactly how the transfer test gets its numbers as many don't line up with PC product reviews. So just install and go, tbh

Thanks, Crazymoogle, et al. So far everything seems pretty speedy. :)

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably get a 3rd party heatsink. Although, I couldn't take the included heat spreader off even after heating it up.
Does the heat spreader come attached to the drive in the box, or did you put it on yourself and can't take it off now?

I'm curious if a heat sink can go on top of the heat spreader. I'm not sure if that makes sense from a thermal perspective, or if the dimensions would support it. I was thinking about getting the XPG S70 Blade and using the Sabrent heat sink with it.

----
edit: looks like this was answered on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/playstatio..._medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

It sounds like the XPG drive doesn't come with the heat spreader pre-installed, so I'll just leave it off and use the sabrent heat sink from the get go

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Just wanted to update, the crucial p5 plus has been great. No performance issues and probably the best choice for a budget NVME. The 1TB model works fine for me and feels like a ton of Space. Have quite a few games and can still install a lot.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
noticed some of the 2TB options have been dropping in prices. still have interest at the moment to get one. been playing on PC lately. which means i can just delete old stuff off the ps5 anyways.

really wish sony hurry up and give me 1440p support. i might game more on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the WD Black 1TB in mine for a few months and it's been great. It's so nice installing games and not worrying about how much space I have lol

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I picked up a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB for my PS5. Microcenter had a sale on them for $169 the other day, so I could not resist.

Oct 25, 2017
Today I installed the 2TB XPG Gammix s70 blade in with the Sabrent heat sink. I did not use the heat spreader that came with the SSD

PS5 reports a read speed of 6204.43MB/s. Definitely can recommend the sabrent heat sink, it even came with a screwdriver. Be sure to peel off the plastic film that protects the thermal compound.

Last edited:

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Today I installed the 2TB XPG Gammix s70 blade in with the Sabrent heat sink. I did not use the heat spreader that came with the SSD

PS5 reports a read speed of 6204.43MB/s. Definitely can recommend the sabrent heat sink, it even came with a screwdriver. Be sure to peel off the plastic film that protects the thermal compound.

I decided to go with this combo after reading your post and seeing others recommend the XPG. The price of the XPG is hard to beat right now. I was able to get mine installed and got a read speed of 6227.988 mb/s. I really like the Sabrent heat sink and how it just replaces the cover.

Unfortunately, I ran into some issues trying to get the spacer and screw out of the original spot. I couldn't get the screw to come loose with the tiny screwdriver that comes with the heat sink, so I tried a slightly bigger one that ended up stripping my screw pretty badly. After spending way too much time trying to get the screw out, I gave up, and eventually, I found a spare screw and spacer that were similar enough that they fit perfectly. So for anybody that is trying to install an SSD in the future, I recommend being very careful with that screw or having a spare screw and spacer just in case.

Thankfully, I got it all worked out, the SDD is snug in there and I now have plenty of storage for my PS5. I was pretty amazed by how fast things work with it. Moving games between the stock SDD and my new one is incredibly fast.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see that Sony indeed made the right decision in choosing the m.2 standard. Happily surprised to see that you can get 1TB for $129 already at just over a year after PS5 came out.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
The WD Black 2TB is crazy expensive... Even at about a 100 dollars cheaper, the thing still costs me 400 bucks (with the heatsink included)... I'll be waiting a while, it seems.

Last edited:

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Corsair released a new PS5 compatible M.2 drive with a pre-mounted aluminum heatsink: MP600 PRO LPX. Comes in 4 sizes (500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB, 4 TB).

www.youtube.com

How to Install CORSAIR MP600 PRO LPX M.2 NVMe SSD on PS5

The CORSAIR MP600 PRO LPX M.2 SSD provides an easy to install, high-performance storage expansion with cooling that’s optimized for your PlayStation 5* inter...

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Chiming in to say that you don't need an SSD heatsink in the PS5.

First point, All SSD are designed to throttle, to keep them from heat damage. Because of this, you can't really damage an SSD from heat, in typical usage. And most of them manage throttling in such a way that the performance is still good. There aren't a lot of drives which practically come to a halt, while throttling. There are some, but not many.

With SSDs, writing data heats up the drive much more than reading, does. And the vast majority of your PS5 usage, is reading data.

Toms hardware found that in a PS5: Western Digital Black SN850, and a Samsung 980 Pro, with 1TB capacity-----they didn't run into any tangible throttling or performance issues while writing data, even with no heatsink and the PS5's SSD port cover installed (with the cover installed, there is little or no airflow).

And even if the drives would ever throttle in this configuration, it would only ever be during a long, sustained write. Which you wont be doing very often. But it may not even be possible to have a long enough write in a PS5, for it to really matter. As copying the entire internal PS5 drive, to one of these secondary drives, wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes on a top speed drive. and maybe 5 minutes on a mid-speed drive. And likewise, "installing" a game (if it even needs to be completely downloaded and then explicitly "installed") would only take a couple of minutes. Its hardly long enough for throttling to happen during a write. And if it did, you most likely wouldn't even notice.

The majority of PS5 usage, is reading data from the drives. This generally does not heat up the drives enough to even be close to throttling. And in that sense, even the worst case scenario of the drives being run with no heatsink, with the cover installed, would never lead to performance issues while gaming.

and if you simply use the drives without the PS5's port cover for the NVME expansion port----you get airflow from the CPU fan and the drives run well within thermal specs, even while doing heavy writes.

Its a good article:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ps5-ssd-upgrade-temperature-testing

For another recently popular drive due to price, S70 blade, Techpowerup found that while the drive runs hot and does throttle (in a PC with no airflow) during heavy sustained writes, even with the official heatsink: its not enough to matter, as it behaves well while throttling and manages its performance in a way which you wouldn't generally notice. And to be clear, the S70 with no airflow, throttles with its official heatsink and without it. the performance difference between the two, while throttling, was found to be negligeble.

And airflow from a fan fixes the throttling, with or without heatsink.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-xpg-gammix-s70-blade-2-tb/7.html

The new ADATA XPG Atom 50 basically never throttles without a heatsink. and performs just shy of the top end drives.

In my own PS5, I use this SSD, with no heatsink:
www.techpowerup.com

MSI Spatium M470 1 TB Review

With the Spatium Series, MSI is entering the highly competitive SSD market. The Spatium M470 uses a Phison E16 controller paired with 96-layer TLC flash from Toshiba, which makes it one of the fastest drives we ever tested, also thanks to support for the PCI-Express 4.0 interface.

Indeed, some SSD don't behave well while throttling and come to an effective halt when they throttle. Buuuut, I've scarcely seen one which throttles with airflow. Leave the port cover off in the PS5 and you have airflow. And most of the time, you'll be reading, anyway. So even a poorly behaved drive shouldn't be in danger of throttling, the majority of the time, if ever. If you leave off the port cover.

So, kind of the through line here is
A. you don't really need an SSD heatsink in the PS5
B. heatsinks cost extra and its often enough to eat up what would otherwise be a good discount on an SSD. $10 - $30. Sometimes the official heatsinks for a particular SSD model can command even more of a premium than that.
C. Running an SSD without a heatsink for general use, is absolutely ok. Especially if you have airflow. The only situation which would really command a heatsink on an SSD, is someone whom is frequently doing long writes or long combination read/write off the same drive. So, someone whom is doing a lot of video work or just generally moving around large volumes of files, constantly.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So um, I'm not actually asking about an NVMe recommendation for the PS5, as I already got one. But since this thread has some knowledgeable people on the subject, I was wondering if there were any current deals on Best Buy right now for a great NVMe storage on PC?

I recently got $150 in Best Buy rewards, most likely because of this PC I just bought (and an Oculus....it's been a big self-Christmas for me). I already added an 8TB external drive and a 500GB SATA drive carried over from my previous PC, so you'd think I would be content...

But I've got some big-size games and programs that I kind of want to keep permanently stored in SSD-space, so I was wondering if now was a good time to take advantage of the reward points for a good NVMe.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
Have a Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB with heating that I'm just waiting to clear customs. Normally, the base storage would be enough for me, but with the crazy amount of games coming out in the next couple months that I want, I figured it was necessary. Will probably upgrade to a 2 TB later in the Gen if I need more space than I'll get.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
So um, I'm not actually asking about an NVMe recommendation for the PS5, as I already got one. But since this thread has some knowledgeable people on the subject, I was wondering if there were any current deals on Best Buy right now for a great NVMe storage on PC?

I recently got $150 in Best Buy rewards, most likely because of this PC I just bought (and an Oculus....it's been a big self-Christmas for me). I already added an 8TB external drive and a 500GB SATA drive carried over from my previous PC, so you'd think I would be content...

But I've got some big-size games and programs that I kind of want to keep permanently stored in SSD-space, so I was wondering if now was a good time to take advantage of the reward points for a good NVMe.
For what's available at Best Buy right now:

I would say the Seagate Firecuda 530. Its currently $169 and one of the very best drives.

If you don't want to spend any money and only use your rewards points-----then Gammix S70 Blade is a solid choice.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For what's available at Best Buy right now:

I would say the Seagate Firecuda 530. Its currently $169 and one of the very best drives.

If you don't want to spend any money and only use your rewards points-----then Gammix S70 Blade is a solid choice.

Grr, I would've gone for it if it was 2TB.

1TB never feels like enough (I mean, neither does 2).

gambaguy

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 13, 2022
Damn 2tb for 1tb prices. Happy with my sn850 but seriously considering putting that in a pc and putting one of these in my ps5

Dec 11, 2017
Just ordered the Aorus 7000s 1TB alongside the official midnight black cover plates.

Excited to set this up and not have to managed installs as much.