• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
2017 12" MacBook. Core m3, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage. This is my secondary PC, with my Windows desktop being my primary.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
ASUS_n56vj_dh71_i7_3630QM_8GB_DDR3_1TB_HD_Windows_8_891155.jpg

Asus N56VJ (2013)
Core i7 3630QM
GeForce 635M
120GB SSD, 500GB 2.5"

Still does everything I ask of it, though these days it's been relegated to a permanent spot on my desk where it plays media and I browse in between games. Mostly because the battery died a while ago, so it isn't mobile anymore.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have one at the moment. Was thinking of picking up a Huawei Matebook a couple months back and did try out the Surface Go. I just don't use enough productivity apps in my day to day to sell myself on a laptop over a tablet atm. I think we are in a holding pattern right now as we fully transfer to all in ones. I think if Apple ever allows for external HDD support with a true file system along with mouse support for true external monitor support, I could get away with an iPad Pro as my full time "laptop".

Macbooks used to be my go-to laptops, but the keyboard defects scare me off. I don't mind the typing experience much on those laptops but fear of defects has me more worried tbh.

I think I am still waiting for that mythical iPad iOS with mouse support and a file system. Idc if they never change the "home screen" as long as I have those two things.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Thinkpad T420. Better than most laptops for the price you can buy it at, and I recently upgraded it to a full HD screen.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2017 13" MBP (base model) — great for productivity, light, and great battery life. But the keyboard is starting to show signs of... ya know. And I've only had it for a few months which sucks.

I am interested in buying a higher spec Razor Blade 15" down the line.

😕

Apple...why???

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Dell XPS 13 from 2015.

It's still working fine, but is slowing down a little at times. I like to be super nippy while using photoshop and other tools, I might need to upgrade soon.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Surface book. The first ones that came out. I love it, but wish it had more power for gaming. I love how it feels like a premium laptop.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
At home, I have a 2015 13" MBP. It was the last retina pro with the old keyboard and all of the ports, so I'm pretty partial to it. Upgrading next year is gonna be tough.

At work, I have a 2017 13" MBP without the Touch Bar. It's OK - I'm getting used to it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
2018 MBP 13 inch (home)

Not really counting work since its work lol.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Used to have a MBP. But past that I haven't used a laptop for about 3 years.

Oct 27, 2017
A Toshiba Satellite that's barely functional at this point. The battery, parts of the keyboard (specifically letters I have to use all the time), and the track pad all died within the past year. Thankfully the USBs still work so until they give up the ghost I won't be forced to replace it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-2016-1888-044.jpg

2017 MacBook Pro (i5/8gb/256gb). I absolutely love it. It does all of my development perfectly and the build quality is amazing. I consistently get 8-10hrs of battery life and it just looks and feels fancy. Plus MacOS runs like a dream. I had an Alienware before this and really disliked it but since I've been back on Apple, I can't see myself every buying another Windows laptop.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
MacBook Pro 15 Late 2011
To say this thing is on its last legs is an euphemism, the battery is long gone, i had to cook the motherboard in the oven two times for the well known gpu issue, it no longer receives OS updates, the fans spin up like crazy for a mere 1080p youtube video and nowadays it's all damaged too.

The problem is that its modern replacement costs nearly double of what i paid for this one 7 years ago and it has all kinds of problems like the butterfly keyboard, the lack of magsafe and SD card slot and it also has that stupid and useless touchbar. To be honest even with all these problems i would have still probably have bought it if it costed like the one i have now but with that price and those problems i'm seriously considering buying a windows laptop.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
2010 mbp 15"

Sunk costs:
Replaced logic board
Upgraded ram
Upgraded ssd
Just replaced battery

Hoping it'll last me a few more years. USB port might be on its way out though. I don't have any confidence the new macs will be anywhere as resilient.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mid-tier Surface Laptop. I love the thing to death, even if it did cost an arm and a leg.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Surface Laptop 2, just above entry level spec. It was the model on sale for the holidays last year -- i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

Sold my previous 2016 MSI GS65 Stealth to fund most of it, so I ended up paying just under $200 out of pocket for this laptop. I wasn't gaming on PC anymore and this thing's battery life is literally like 6x better, and it's much easier to carry around and doesn't have garbage speakers for everything non-gaming.

Never getting a thin chassis gaming laptop ever again. Too much damn fan noise and craptastic speakers. The latter didn't seem like a dealbreaker at the time that I bought it and I knew what I was getting into, but it ended up being one of the worst audio scape situations I've ever had in any media-capable device between the fans and the trash speakers.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I treated myself to this last August:

Dell XPS 15 (9570)
15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touchscreen display
Intel Core i9 8950HK Processor
32GB DDR4-2666MHz
1TB M.2 2280 PCIe SSD
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5

cL94Pdo.jpg

Nice packaging:

tvOTvyo.jpg

cLKtH0I.jpg

I bought it for Photo and a bit of Drone/Video editing. It chews through massive Photoshop files with ease. Well impressed with it.

I have an iPad Pro for browsing.

Last edited:

Ryan_09

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
My Samsung Chromebook Pro is my primary driver for school and personal use. A tad peeved that they released an updated model a year after launch with a backlit keyboard, but otherwise I couldn't ask for a better laptop. The newer updates over the past 6 months also also made it work so much better in every area than it did at launch.
I also have a gaming rig for games or if I absolutely need to use Word for school. It is about to get some more usage after the 970 Evo I ordered comes in. Boot times and convenience are a must for me, which my Chromebook excels at. ^-^

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
15" 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. Bought it a little over two years ago used from a pawn shop (more accurately: an Amazon seller that I later discovered was a pawn shop). I use it for hobbyist coding (Ruby, Javascript, HTML, CSS) and browsing the internet. Runs nicely even on the newest OS update, Mojave. For general tasks, It is noticeably slower (but only slightly) than my desktop (which is 5 years old), but the performance is great for being 6+ years old. Even runs simple games well. Really like the keyboard and trackpad. This is the first and only laptop I've ever purchased; I've always gotten by with desktops both personally and at work.

On the desktop side I always go Windows. Price is king for me. I'd never buy a Macbook new. My next laptop will be... something work gives me and I just won't bother buying another. I don't really need one. Maybe I'd grab another laptop if I decide to stop buying desktops, which may happen, as I'm trying to cut back heavily on videogames.

I do not like the scissor keys on the newer Mac laptops, which would greatly discourage me getting another. Maybe my next laptop would be another used Mac, but the most recent model that has the older, better keyboard keys.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Lenovo P50 for work, it is nice enough.

Was leaning towards getting a Macbook my personal use and development, but like others have said, I tried out that keyboard over the weekend and ick that was terrible. Now leaning towards an XPS 13 or 15, or something from the Surface line.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Sager NP9153
i7 7700k (yes that's a desktop processor)
GTX 1070 GDD5 8 GB (yes that's a mini desktop card)
16 GB (8gb x2 DDr4-2400 with 2 more expansion slots)
128gb SSD and 1tb2.5" spinning rust.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
2018 13" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar.

I am the only person on the planet who likes the Touch Bar. I find it incredibly cool and relatively useful, though I am not a power user. The screen looks amazing.

This replaced a 2010 13" MacBook Air which I still have and still runs amazingly well.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Some Asus gaming dealie I was given for Christmas. It's actually the first 120hz display I've owned. Just moving the mouse around the desktop at that frame rate was a trip.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Work-issued 2017 15" MacBook Pro and a personally-purchased Falcon NW TLX for games.

I'm looking forward to getting a new laptop from work in a year because I can move down to a 13". the 15" is a pain in the ass

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Lenovo Yogabook (10" android)
Samsung Chromebook Pro (12.5")
Surface Pro (12.5?)
Lenovo 14" Thinkpad (don't remember the model)
Macbook Air (13" version)
A 10" dual boot tablet

Out of all the laptop I ever owned, my favorite is the Asus 10" flip chromeboook. I think I will sell half of my current laptops and get another flip.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surface Book, and considering I got it for a great price new, I'm extremely happy with it. I'll probably get a surface tablet though next time. The tablet for the book is too big for practicalness.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
Powerspec 1710.
7700HQ,
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD
1 TB HD
17 inch, 1080p screen
1070 GTX

I bought it as a replacement for my desktop cause it was taking too much space. I downgraded from a 1080, but I don't miss it much. It's nice having the portability when I have to travel for work.

Got it for $1250 also. Open box from Microcenter
486482_420208_01_front_zoom.jpg

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a 2012 MacBook Air as my personal laptop and an HP EliteBook X360 as my work laptop. Frankly, with how far Windows 10 has come and the direction that Apple is going with their hardware, I likely won't get another Mac.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Got this baby last month: https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...-128-SSD-1TB-HDD-8GB-RAM-Windows-10/682079574
Amazing value for the price. Battery life sucks but I like the fact it's not heavy and has a beautiful screen.
Also rocking an old Surface Pro 2 (good for note taking and marking up pdfs) and my daily driver, the Google Pixelbook i5.
I turfed the 1TB spinner for a cheap 500GB SATA drive and added a used 8GB DDR4 stick. Flies now.

Last edited:

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Surface Pro 2. Productivity wise, it isn't the best (16:9 screen and keyboard cover). For my use case though, web browsing and watching video, it's close to perfection.