Oct 26, 2017
I love that John is taking the piss with this whole Reylo fandom thing.

The downside is that the worst of the worst are going to try to use this as scummy clickbait on YouTube.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, it was for sure sexist because he's talking about Daisy's character like a trophy. I mean there are levels to this and this was pretty tame as far as sexist comments go but it was sexist since it does slide into the category of objectification (and also toxic masculinity ideas).

That said.....even people here in Resetera objectify characters all the time. It's just that none of us are celebrities.

That's pretty gross though. Like, I'm pretty sure we have some Reylos here though. I think most people here just ironically ship it as a meme.
I'm going to go with a no on that. Laying the pipe doesn't have any sexist connotation unless you believe wanting to have sex is inherently sexist.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm going to go with a no on that. Laying the pipe doesn't have any sexist connotation unless you believe wanting to have sex is inherently sexist.

Take it in context.

He said it's not who kissed Rey but who gets to lay pipe with her. (He was replying to someone saying that Kylo Ren got to kiss her and not him)

That's the objectificaton part because then she's a trophy for Boyega's character to win over Kylo Ren.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amazing. He is burning bridges with disney though.

UnrealisticDisastrousAlpaca-size_restricted.gif

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like being in a Star Wars movie is more trouble than it's worth. Well, you get paid an absurd amount of money but the abuse is so trash to me.

I actually think his behaviour lately has been less than ideal (especially in the way he handled criticism of hos gross comments), and the fact that people continue to support him with "lmao he doesn't give a fuck" has been disappointing.

Also, leaving in the people's names and Twitter handles is unprofessional as hell.

Meh. I know people have a problem with this, but frankly folks should stop harassing people online.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think his behaviour lately has been less than ideal (especially in the way he handled criticism of hos gross comments), and the fact that people continue to support him with "lmao he doesn't give a fuck" has been disappointing.

Also, leaving in the people's names and Twitter handles is unprofessional as hell.

just get on with it and call him uppity

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Say what you wanna say.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018

I agree with you.

I found John's initial "laying pipe" comment pretty gross, and when people objected to it, he thought it was just all about "shipping" drama and started a whole thing on Twitter to deflect.

Things luckily died down, but now in this video, he's stirring things up again and openly displaying Twitter handles of people that his million followers can seek out. As a direct result of his Twitter and Instagram posts, I've seen several really nice people on Twitter (mostly women) who didn't even interact with John at all, but received all kinds of death threats and harassment and had to lock their accounts simply due to their shipping preferences.

The crazy bullshit and racism John has experienced since being cast in TFA is awful, but the stuff that's been going on the past couple weeks with him has made me super disappointed and sad. This fandom has so many problems as it is, and it feels like he's fanning the flames.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I initially felt sorry for him for being bait and switched to essentially dlc adventures but I gotta respect this attitude.

This fanbase deserves no respect. Let them burn.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
making careful, christian, Protestant love. Like a gentleman.

none of this monster dick ogre-demon caveman-plumber construction worker fucking.

like some filthy Catholic.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Edit: Well.. at first I thought this was just in response to people being negative about SW and his character (Finn) and laughed at the production. If he's using this to excuse some of the legit criticism about some of his commentary recently, that's dismissive and lame.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nah, people upset at him for their own shipping nonsense only got themselves to blame. Leave the man alone. Lol at them harassing him and he should censor their shit. Maybe next time they shouldn't use their twitter like that.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Take it in context.

He said it's not who kissed Rey but who gets to lay pipe with her. (He was replying to someone saying that Kylo Ren got to kiss her and not him)

That's the objectificaton part because then she's a trophy for Boyega's character to win over Kylo Ren.
Agree to disagree. The premise of these ships are that both parties enter into it consensually. Rey is a consenting person with agency. Boyega is making fun of the patricidal/genocidal character of Klyo and the people who ship him with Rey.

Laying pipe is a little blue/crass but the mere mention of two adults having sex isn't sexist. Folks have their minds made up so no real point arguing intent.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Agree to disagree. The premise of these ships are that both parties enter into it consensually. Rey is a consenting person with agency. Boyega is making fun of the patricidal/genocidal character of Klyo and the people who ship him with Rey.

Laying pipe is a little blue/crass but the mere mention of two adults having sex isn't sexist. Folks have their minds made up so no real point arguing intent.

But again, you're simplifying this to just "laying pipe" without taking into account framing. The framing is that it's a competition between Finn and Ben and the trophy is fucking Rey. That's inherently objectification.

But like I said, it is low on the list as far as objectification goes. I'm pretty sure most posters even me have objectified people to this extent whether it be the opposite sex or the same sex. (Not saying that that makes it okay either.)

It's just that he's doing this publically and he's a celebrity that gives it a lot more weight for people.

Last edited:

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But again, you're simplifying this to just "laying pipe" without taking into account framing. The framing is that it's a competition between Finn and Ben and the trophy is fucking Rey. That's inherently objectification.
I surprised you're still at this shit after the last thread. I guess the mask didn't slip enough in your case. At least you're not on that "think of the children" nonsense anymore.

Still, I guess this bears repeating for this thread too:

You guys aren't slick with this bullshit.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
No the competition is between the Finnrey ship and the Reylo ship. Canonically Reylo ends with a dying kiss while Finnrey ship can continue on in cannon cartoon/comics/ books where the two can get married/have kids/have an actual relationship. Reylo is now banished to fanfic land.

Boyega is just making fun of a fan and saying his ship won because his character is alive. Like I said there is no point arguing intent if that how you read his comments. Joke is blue but not inherently sexist.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
"Laying Pipe" is a PG level crass joke but its not inherently sexist( at least not how Boyega used it). As a fandom people have been making Luke,Anakin,Ben,Han,Obi-Wan,Qui-Gon and Yoda virgin/masturbation/sex jokes for 40 years but this is over the line? Boyega is just saying that Kylo died a genocidal virgin but his character is still alive to seal the deal.

Is it because Boyega used "urban slang" that its automatically sexist? We're talking about made up consensual ships. The premise of the joke isn't that Finn is going to force himself on a grieving Rey. Smh.

I appreciate you.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"Laying Pipe" is a PG level crass joke but its not inherently sexist( at least not how Boyega used it). As a fandom people have been making Luke,Anakin,Ben,Han,Obi-Wan,Qui-Gon and Yoda virgin/masturbation/sex jokes for 40 years but this is over the line? Boyega is just saying that Kylo died a genocidal virgin but his character is still alive to seal the deal.

Is it because Boyega used "urban slang" that its automatically sexist? We're talking about made up consensual ships. The premise of the joke isn't that Finn is going to force himself on a grieving Rey. Smh.
B-b-but he's talking about sex! Sex is pure! How dare he!

Boyega taking the piss is great, these weird toxic fans deserve that shit. People who call themselves a "Reylo" or create these so-called stan accounts are weird and creepy as fuck.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this. Seriously. There's most certainly also a race angle too especially when it comes to Boyega. On this very site people have shown their ass when it comes to him.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this. Seriously. There's most certainly also a race angle too especially when it comes to Boyega. On this very site people have shown their ass when it comes to him.
Its really odd. I would 100% understand the sexist claim if Dominic Monaghan came out of nowhere and said " Now that Kylo is dead Beaumont Kin can give that Rey girl that I have no connection to some pipe!" Finn has had a close relationship with Rey for three films so a potential romantic future makes sense. Folks acting like Rey is going to take a vow of chastity after one kiss. Not even Rose from Titanic was about that life lol.